• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

wapplew

Super Massive is a good option.
They are familiar with Decima, support PSVR greatly, can do adventure game if QD stop working with Sony.
Only problem is they are base on UK and Sony seems like move away from owning UK studio.

The God

Why would Sony want to buy any more studios? It’s apparent from the changes they’ve made to the existing WWS set up that they want to trim the number of studios they own, so why would they want the capex & running costs of adding more studios in?

Deals like the QD one, or game-by-game make far more sense as it places the cost risk back on the studio rather than having to go through back-office integration and so on.

Why are people obsessed with Sony buying studios? All they become is a cost-centre on the bottom line.

It's a concern about the development pipeline if they keep closing studios

kyser73

It's a concern about the development pipeline if they keep closing studios

Sony consolidated their UK studios, closed one drowning in red ink & one that was closed as part of a wider reorganisation of WWS in Europe (which may or may not be Brexit related).

For those talking about buying studios, do you have any idea what a full acquisition involves? It isn’t just people & IP. It involves estate issues, all back office functions, usually done substantial back-office systems integration, legacy contract & pension liabilities.

Partnerships are far better value for Sony & more importantly are better for the studios.

bitbydeath

My point is why throw a ton of money at Quantic Dream to buy them when they're already working happily exclusively with Sony?

Developers- It rewards developers by providing greater ties with in-house studios.

Consumers- It rewards consumers by bolstering the first party lineup, ensuring they will always delivering more games to them.

Sony- It rewards Sony meeting the consumer reward above = profit.

I’m sure there are a number of examples where devs were thought to always work with one particular company and then one day not.

Insomniac, Alan Wake devs, Bioware etc

SamNW

Sony consolidated their UK studios, closed one drowning in red ink & one that was closed as part of a wider reorganisation of WWS in Europe (which may or may not be Brexit related).

For those talking about buying studios, do you have any idea what a full acquisition involves? It isn't just people & IP. It involves estate issues, all back office functions, usually done substantial back-office systems integration, legacy contract & pension liabilities.

Partnerships are far better value for Sony & more importantly are better for the studios.
This is a good post. PlayStation fans (and, to a lesser extent, others) often get caught up playing game dev fantasy football and neglect to consider the complexity of these business deals, as well as the additional cost and risk incurred by purchasing a mid-size or large studio. And Sony obviously understands this. That's why you see them closing less important studios and pursuing one-off and multi-game deals. Save for a few rare examples, it just makes more financial sense for a platform holder to cut deals than to buy studios outright.

Tribalistic impulses aside—though that may account for damn near all of it—I'm not really sure why people are so fixated on studio acquisition.

kyser73

Developers- It rewards developers by providing greater ties with in-house studios.

Consumers- It rewards consumers by bolstering the first party lineup, ensuring they will always delivering more games to them.

Sony- It rewards Sony meeting the consumer reward above = profit.

I’m sure there are a number of examples where devs were thought to always work with one particular company and then one day not.

Insomniac, Alan Wake devs, Bioware etc

Downsides:

Cost of acquisition + ongoing capex & operational costs. Partnering only costs as much as each party views as being enough.

Ongoing costs to baseline - you're essentially folding a company into yours, and have to absorb their running costs, and speaking as someone who has/is working for growth-by-acquisition models companies the RoI on an acquisition can take many, many years.

The long and short of it is expanding WWS as a developer and not simply re-aligning it as a publishing/finance partner makes no sense as it will only ever increase costs.

Wow, a huge number of quite passionate posts since I last read the topic! Where did all this talk of SIE acquisitions come from?

I think the only studio they are realistically interested in acquiring is Insomniac. They've proven themselves on multiple different franchises, and i think Spiderman is going to be huge.

I don't think Insomniac want to be bought, and unless they're in dire straits I doubt Ted Price would ever sell. Things seem pretty good for them at the moment, with I'd guess another Ratchet game on the way, a pair of Spider-Man sequels and various other stuff they may have cooking (more games for Oculus? More digital-only titles?). They had a few difficult years at the end of last gen and the beginning of this (after they struck out and partnered with EA for a while), but they've bounced back now and I doubt they have any near-term financial issues. Especially if they have any bonuses attached to Spider-Man's success.

Housemarque and quantic dream are possibilities too. If Detroit is a hit then I can see sony making a move. If i remember correctly housemarque may have hinted that their next game could be aaa and i feel like sony would be funding that a la order and see how they do.

I love Housemarque, but Sony have taken their foot off the gas in terms of digital games, and I'm not sure Housemarque would be safe under them.

I don't know why you guys even want Insomniac, Housemarque or Quantic Dream to be acquired by Sony. The relationships work right now and they have options beyond just PlayStation. It's a very happy medium.

Insomniac are one of the few AAA independent studios left right now and they should continue to diversify their profile to sustain themselves. QD have their niche right now and I don't see the point of acquiring a developer who already only wants to work with Sony.

If there are studios they should acquire, they should be studios that can cover their weaknesses. Insominac, Housemarque and QD aren't one of them.

Best wishes.

Yes, I think a more sensible acquisition would be picking up a studio with lots of potential who could do wonders with a better publisher & a bigger budget, like for instance Deck13 (The Surge) or Human Head (original Prey 2). Sort of like how Bethesda has done a really good job of picking up small or new studios and chiselling them into high quality AAA developers.

TLoU 2 releases 2019.

TLoU 2 Complete Edition releases fall 2020, in time for the PS5 launch.

I can see Death Stranding pulling off a similar trajectory~~~

I know we're in a different hardware market now with the XBX and PS4 Pro, but even so I really don't see next gen starting that late. I think we're looking at 2019, and Sony's big releases that year (Death Stranding, TLoU2, possibly Sucker Punch's next) will launch on PS4 then launch Complete Editions on PS5 a while later, like The Last of Us did.

Do sony even need to flat out buy Kojima productions?
Where else will he go, Xbox? Nah Nintendo makes great hardware but not the type that man loves, too few third parties I see him partnering with. So it’s eitger Sony or self publishing

I mean, I'd imagine other publishers might try to work with him, like say Namco or Bethesda or Ubisoft. But his heavy investment in Decima complicates things, as pointed out below:

I'm not sure how the Decima situation is going to work out. Kojima Productions is working on the engine with Guerilla and it's Guerilla's engine. KP development tools are all based on Decima. So if Death Stranding is just a one-off deal, what happens when that's over? KP starts all over again with a new engine? If KP goes multiplatform, they wouldn't be able to use Decima right? Will they be able to make an Xbox game with Decima? Is it basically licensed out at this point?

Yeah, I made a similar post in a topic ages ago musing on this subject:

You're right, but Kojima specifically chose Guerrilla's engine for Death Stranding. Which means one of three things as far as I can tell:

1) He's going to be making multiple Death Stranding games and will be using Decima for all of them.
2) He will be making something else after Death Stranding and will be allowed to use Decima for his next project.
3) He will be making something else after Death Stranding but will switch to a new engine.

Option 3 seems extremely unlikely given that he's set up a Kojima Productions studio in Amsterdam to work with Guerrilla and co-develop the engine. Option 1 is quite likely because Sony tends to sign devs up for 3 game contracts. Option 2 is so-so in my opinion, although given his prominence in the industry he may have been able to negotiate a unique deal whereby he can use Decima on other platforms after DS. There's also the fact that this was at one point supposed to be coming to PC which means this may not be too unlikely.

FelipeMGM

It's crazy to me that ND made TLOU remastered, announced and released U4 and Lost Legacy and announced TLOU2....

And we still have no idea what Sucker Punch has been doing since Second Son and First Light in 2014.

Aren’t they smaller? And if nd were doing for example savage starlight...sigh and not sequels it would probably take them a way longer time too

yeah, way smaller. Naughty Dog (+ ICE) is around 370 staff, prob aiming for 400 in the future while Sucker Punch is still 150 ish

I don't see Sony ever buying a well established studio again. It's just not worth the money. Some small and upcoming studio is much more likely.

It'd cost Sony way more to purchase the studios people have been mentioning than they've paid for any others. They got Media Molecule (I think) before LittleBigPlanet became a huge hit. I can't remember when exactly they got Sucker Punch but they have never had the big success Insomniac has.

Less studios with longer development times can cause lulls, which we saw in 2014. Partnerships really saved them in 2015 with their Sony Japan/From Software co-development of Bloodborne and Supermassive with Until Dawn. Even Shu admitted they didn't have a ton of first party content that year and Andrew House called it a bit "thin."

That's the simple view, though, as I think kyser did a good job explaining the complications.

For those talking about buying studios, do you have any idea what a full acquisition involves? It isn’t just people & IP. It involves estate issues, all back office functions, usually done substantial back-office systems integration, legacy contract & pension liabilities.

Good post. I think something being good for the studios depends, though. In the case of Ready at Dawn, it was self-inflicted based upon the quality of The Order, but now they're not as much guaranteed the leeway to make something the way they want (reviews from people working under WWS talk about the freedom they get) nor the perks for working under their wing. Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, etc., are very large today in no small part due to working under Sony's umbrella.

A partnership is cheaper for Sony, but being able to own the IP allows them to make Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Horizon or God of War into "Sony" franchises to help sell systems. And as a gamer, I've been a big fan of what they've produced since the PS2 days, but moreso since the PS3/current PS4 days. It didn't matter as much during the PS1 days since most of my favorite games were third party, but ever since the PS2 generation, I've gained an enormous amount of respect for the developers Sony employs and works with. For hardcore gamers, it means a lot to see a Naughty Dog logo, a Santa Monica logo, a Bend logo, and (now, for me) a Guerrilla Games logo. So I have more faith in something underneath them, not to mention the benefits the studios receive through the company.

Still, it's a good post and one I suggest others read when we talk about what studios are under a company's wing.

Thorrgal

I know this is not relevant to 1st Party studios but this is the thread I mainly read so might as well tell you guys

I'm not even sure if it has been announced already buy I heard they're getting ready to publish Soul Calibur 6 in Europe.

Take it with a grain of salt and all that

DigSCCP

About this discussion on BC :
I really hope Sony doesn't give up on Remasters because of BC.
I understand ppl wanting it.
But at the same time if I had to choose one of them I would be on the Remasters side.
Unless they work a way to make BC like in PC : using the new hardware tech to make games look and run better.
If I buy a new hardware I want my software to take advantage of it...even if I have to pay again for this.
Tbh on my personal perspective I would love BC + Opcional Paid Enhaced Upgrade.
Something that Arkane did this gen : I had Dishonored for PS3 and paid US20 to upgrade my version to the Definitive on PS4.

Some Nobody

About this discussion on BC :
I really hope Sony doesn't give up on Remasters because of BC.
I understand ppl wanting it.
But at the same time if I had to choose one of them I would be on the Remasters side.
Unless they work a way to make BC like in PC : using the new hardware tech to make games look and run better.
If I buy a new hardware I want my software to take advantage of it...even if I have to pay again for this.
Tbh on my personal perspective I would love BC + Opcional Paid Enhaced Upgrade.
Something that Arkane did this gen : I had Dishonored for PS3 and paid US20 to upgrade my version to the Definitive on PS4.

.....Really? I can't agree. If there's BC, stop wasting money on remasters and go make games, even if they're small games. Even if I'm not interested, at least they're new games.

Only time I want to see you return to old games is cases like inSane Trilogy, FF7 Remake, SOTC. Fully remake it.

.....Really? I can't agree. If there's BC, stop wasting money on remasters and go make games, even if they're small games. Even if I'm not interested, at least they're new games.

By and large, these studios aren't remastering their own games. The Last of Us Remastered is one of the exceptions, though according to Naughty Dog, that experience helped with Uncharted 4. But stuff like Gravity Rush Remastered, the Nathan Drake Collection, and other stuff, are remastered by different developers.

Some Nobody

By and large, these studios aren't remastering their own games. The Last of Us Remastered is one of the exceptions, though according to Naughty Dog, that experience helped with Uncharted 4. But stuff like Gravity Rush Remastered, the Nathan Drake Collection, and other stuff, it's remastered by a different company.

I'm aware. Still. Fuck that. By all means, feel free to pull a Shadow of the Colossus. Current-gen assets for a PS1-2 (and PS3 when we get to next-gen) is cool. Remasters just...bug the hell outta me lol.

I'm aware. Still. Fuck that. By all means, feel free to pull a Shadow of the Colossus. Current-gen assets for a PS1-2 (and PS3 when we get to next-gen) is cool. Remasters just...bug the hell outta me lol.

I don't see the problem when it doesn't get in the way of the developers who originally made the games. In fact, Bluepoint's work with the Nathan Drake Collection, Gravity Rush Remastered, the God of War remasters on the PS3, and more importantly the ICO/SOTC remasters on the PS3, are likely what gave you a Shadow of the Colossus remake in the first place (can't wait for that).

I owned plenty of movies on DVD, but I'm glad a Blu-Ray option existed later.

I know this is not relevant to 1st Party studios but this is the thread I mainly read so might as well tell you guys

I'm not even sure if it has been announced already buy I heard they're getting ready to publish Soul Calibur 6 in Europe.

Edit: I heard = someone in the industry told me

Can you elaborate a little on this ? Was the source useful before ? And no indeed, SoulCalibur 6 does not even exist yet :D Although I really think they are doing it. Sony is very fond of fighting games this gen, but to publish SoulCalibur 6 ? Even SFV, a console exclusive, is published by Capcom, but hey, here goes to PGW and PSX.

I know Sony used to publish some of Namco's games in Europe during the PS1 and PS2 era.

PantsuJo

Ask to your source in industry if there is a chance of getting a new Ridge Racer from Bamco too :(

(I'm glad if Soul Calibur 6 will be true)

Turkoop

Banned
And I do believe that we will get Detroit before GoW launches. Feels ready, polished, playable versions are out and Playstation started to promote the game.

If true, hype!

'They' being you mean Sony are publishing it themselves? Would be surprising if so. Obviously want a fighting game of their own, so they really ought to invest in one rather than keep buying third party exclusives.

That being said, I've always liked Soul Calibur and I hope the series isn't dead. I'm not very good at fighting games, but SC is probably my favourite after Virtua Fighter.

And I do believe that we will get Detroit before GoW launches. Feels ready, polished, playable versions are out and Playstation started to promote the game.

I honestly expected Detroit to be out by now, as it's been a long time since they revealed it. Although they've probably be better releasing it mid next year rather than between now and March, in my opinion.

Turkoop

Banned
'They' being you mean Sony are publishing it themselves? Would be surprising if so. Obviously want a fighting game of their own, so they really ought to invest in one rather than keep buying third party exclusives.

That being said, I've always liked Soul Calibur and I hope the series isn't dead. I'm not very good at fighting games, but SC is probably my favourite after Virtua Fighter.

I honestly expected Detroit to be out by now, as it's been a long time since they revealed it. Although they've probably be better releasing it mid next year rather than between now and March, in my opinion.

Yup, they still want to release GoW, Spiderman and Shadow in the first half of 2018
I think a release in January would be possible. no big titles.
May belongs to RDR2, GoW probably a March title. I have no idea when Shadow and Spiderman will be out, Days Gone a Fall game.

RSchmitz

I think everyone will be waiting til rockstar announces a RDR2 release date so they can dodge it like hell.

Then they delay it and everybody's fucked.

Yup, they still want to release GoW, Spiderman and Shadow in the first half of 2018
May belongs to RDR2, GoW probably a March title. I have no idea when Shadow and Spiderman will be out, Days Gone a Fall game.
Is rdr confirmed for May? I honestly see that maybe slipping again.

FelipeMGM

January has SFV Arcade Edition, Ni No Kuni II and Monster Hunter World tho, thats a lot of PS centric games.

H1 would line well with

February - SotC
March - GoW
April - Detroit
May - No first party title, its all about RDR2
June - Spider-Man

Then you would have H2 for maybe Days Gone and Dreams

its still confirmed for both Spring 2018 and FY 2019, that would leave it for either April or May.

Memento

About the acquisition talk...

Imo, if Sony is interested in any acquisition in the moment they should go with Housemarque. They ALWAYS deliver and are very efficient. They are also not huge, so I imagine they are not very expensive.

But at the same time, they have such a good partnership already with Sony (I mean, they are basically a first party studio already since every single game they release is Sony published), so idk why they would do that in the moment...

Supermassive and Quantic Dream is the same situation.

About the acquisition talk...

Imo, if Sony is interested in any acquisition in the moment they should go with Housemarque. They ALWAYS deliver and are very efficient. They are also not huge, so I imagine they are not very expensive.

But at the same time, they have such a good partnership already with Sony (I mean, they are basically a first party studio already since every single game they release is Sony published), so idk why they would do that in the moment...

Supermassive and Quantic Dream is the same situation.

Nex Machina is the one exception to the publishing rule. Otherwise, yup.

EDIT: BTW, I've been meaning to ask -- is your username based on the movie?

Turkoop

Banned
January has SFV Arcade Edition, Ni No Kuni II and Monster Hunter World tho, thats a lot of PS centric games.

H1 would line well with

February - SotC
March - GoW
April - Detroit
May - No first party title, its all about RDR2
June - Spider-Man

Then you would have H2 for maybe Days Gone and Dreams

its still confirmed for both Spring 2018 and FY 2019, that would leave it for either April or May.
Yup, you're totally right. Sounds realistic.
90%
T2's annual report ends in 30 April and RDR2 is not listed in there.
So May makes sense to me.

2thepoint

SIE would be wise to swoop on Capcom while they seem to be floundering and massively boost the Japanese arm of WWS.

Its been a long time since we have had an acquisition and I thought Quantic Dream would have been bought by now, along with potentially Housemarque and Supermassive.

Memento

Devs who publish their game in the same month as R* will do, get bankrupt

God of War 3 released in the same month of RDR back in 2010 and it is to this day the biggest launch ever for a Sony title on NPD :p

Edit: oh RDR launched in May? Nevermind then. Thanks for the guy bellow.

AAMARMO

Banned
Speaking about PSX I would suggest keeping your expectation low its just going be another E3 2017 situation we few extra niche titles. The only major new thing that most likely will show up is TLOU2 Gameplay or Sucker Punch. Sadly I don't think Kojima has anything new to share but I hope I'm wrong.

Capcom may have some few surprise in stock such as MHW Beta or first footage of REmake 2. Square Enix won't have anything sadly because there keeping Kingdom Hearts for D23 Japan. I could see Atlus showing off there new Cathrine like game there but that's a very big predictions and of course more Yakuza.

Thorrgal

Sorry, about Soul Calibur 6 when I said "they" I didn't mean Sony.

I don't want to be too specific as to what my friend's job is, but to publish a japanese game in Europe there's some steps you have to take, and he found out about it in one of those steps.

I should have said is not related to Sony in any way, first of third party.

Is just some cool info I wanted to share with my fello sonyers, sorry for the confusion

AAMARMO

Banned

I don't want to be too specific as to what my friend's job is, but to publish a japanese game in Europe there's some steps you have to take, and he found out about it in one of those steps.

Is just some cool info I wanted to share with my fello sonyers, sorry for the confusion

I would still believe it be on Sony Stage, however, I could see Microsoft locking it up after the Japan trip Phill went on.

Oh ok, no worries, SC 6 talk is still a great news, thank you for the hint :)

alemmon

Speaking about PSX I would suggest keeping your expectation low its just going be another E3 2017 situation we few extra niche titles. The only major new thing that most likely will show up is TLOU2 Gameplay or Sucker Punch. Sadly I don't think Kojima has anything new to share but I hope I'm wrong.

Capcom may have some few surprise in stock such as MHW Beta or first footage of REmake 2. Square Enix won't have anything sadly because there keeping Kingdom Hearts for D23 Japan. I could see Atlus showing off there new Cathrine like game there but that's a very big predictions and of course more Yakuza.

I could also see Capcom showing off DMC5

Zukkoyaki

Capcom seems to have established a bit of a pattern with their major announcements.

E3 2016: Announce RE7 for early year release
PSX 2016: Announce MvC for fall release
E3 2017: Announce MH for early year release

Will be interesting to see if they show something at PSX this year. Watch their logo appear, everyone loses their shit and it's RE2 Remake -_-

AAMARMO

Banned
Capcom seems to have established a bit of a pattern with their major announcements.

E3 2016: Announce RE7 for early year release
PSX 2016: Announce MvC for fall release
E3 2017: Announce MH for early year release

Will be interesting to see if they show something at PSX this year. Watch their logo appear, everyone loses their shit and it's RE2 Remake -_-

PSX 2017:
Dead Rising Reboot.

It will be Multi-Platform of course but Namco has recently having a strong relationship with Microsoft. But I do hope its one of there PSX thing.

They have a "strong relationship" with Microsoft because Microsoft's willing to throw money at them for co-marketing rights and Sony seemingly isn't. It's not like they actively support Xbox over PS.

Tekken 7 was first announced for consoles at PGW 2015, so we could see a repeat of that for SC6.

Memento

I think it will be one of the best Sony conferences this gen.

The potential is crazy.

Since GOW, Spiderman and SOTC Remake are presumely launching in the first half of 2018, that means it is their last big show before release. So we should have some meaty info and footage for them. Story trailer for Spiderman? Boss gameplay for GOW? Gameplay demo for Shadow? Release dates?

Then in regards to new announcements I am very positive on Devil May Cry 5 reveal (or whatever Itsuno is working on) considering Capcom's reveals history on PSX. It is also the best place to announce both From Software's and Sucker Punch's new IPs.

Then there is The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding. I am 100% sure they will be there in some form or another. Death Stranding could be on VGX one day earlier though. Also, I dont believe there will be gameplay for either of them, but it doesnt matter because anything from these 2 games will be hype.

Top Bottom