• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation Neo isnt a shift to releasing new consoles every 1 to 2 years

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So, just for PSVR then, really. Otherwise why not just keep selling the less powerful king like they did with PS2?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Unless Neo and Scorpio are met with a collective shrug, I'll be very surprised if there isn't yet another PS model out by the end of 2018. Neo will not still be $399 by then, so another model will keep more expensive SKUs attractive.

Neo comes 3.5 years after PS4, what makes you think the next model will come 1.5 years after Neo? R&D is not cheap, you have to sell these devices for years.

And no, x86 is just currently the thing. The future belongs to ARM.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm in agreement with icespide and Inuhanyou. I have a feeling that when the PS4 Neo comes out, the "Original Recipe" PS4 will drop to the $299 level, and the Neo will clock in at $399.

The wise strategists of the industry would have learned many lessons from the console launches of 2013. I don't think we'll see $499 again anytime soon, especially not for half-step updates that don't represent true generational leaps.

I don't see how a 100 dollar price difference would even work. They might as well just ditch the OG PS4 because who would not spend the 100 dollars for 2x the power. There needs to be at least a 150 dollar price difference IMO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I just don't understand how they'll market this without making the regular PS4 version of the same game look like crap. Will be interesting going forward.

They mandate every PS4 version be the base for development of games like now? And that any additions to NEO must be on top of the existing code?

They have been saying already constantly that its just a stronger PS4 and nothing more. So they can just market it as a stronger PS4, that plays PS4 games better. No exclusive games, no additional peripherals necessary.

I'd prefer if they break the forward compatibility at the generational increments. That way, select games can be cross-gen and some can be next gen only according to demand.

I think that's what they will do. The best solution would be just to offer full BC for the generational break at PS5 so you get NEO enhanced games as well as the PS4 versions already available to consumers, along with all their ecosystem shit they already bought. No PS3 to PS4 confusion

They probably won't, but Introducing a traditional PS5 would actually prove that they're not doing the regular upgrades model. So I don't really get this post.

I was more talking about the year of it releasing being in the cycle of iteration that the NEO would introduce. If they were to keep with the Neo and just make their new powerful console later than 2 years afterwards, that would be more in line of what I thought would be a proper console cycle.

poodpick

I don't expect a PS5 till 2021 to be honest the NEO/Scorpio will help stretch this current generation much more gracefully than last generation.

I'm assuming by then that the PS4 will be running games at 720p sub 30fps. Seems a bit too long of a generation unless Sony slowly phases out the base PS4.

Crayon

I think that's what they will do. The best solution would be just to offer full BC for the generational break at PS5 so you get NEO enhanced games as well as the PS4 versions already available to consumers, along with all their ecosystem shit they already bought. No PS3 to PS4 confusion

Totally. I think they still accomplish the lengthening of the generation, as well as the vendor lock-in with this approach. At the same time, it makes some viable path to PS5/6/7 software that can properly demonstrate what the system can do unhindered forward compatibility requirements.

Crayon

It looks like the same thing but if Scorpi stats are true is basically a new generation for MS.

I don't think it even looks like the same thing. Looks to me like ms is going to lay off trying to sell as many/more consoles as sony and work on their store.

Have you ever played a PC game before? Here's Crysis 3 comparing Low/Medium/High/Very High:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPq00dd4Ygg

One console will run the game using high quality effects, resolution, and a more consistent experience, while the other will use the baseline experience. You will be fine :).

This is a nice pivot. Suddenly these differences aren't a big deal. They are certainly deal breakers for Xbox One S/Scorpio and 720/1080.

Welcome to the world of gameplay matters. It's pretty great here.

Afrodium

Banned
Once the Neo is introduced I don't see how releasing the PS5 as a "next-gen" console and not just another iterative upgrades benefits Sony or the consumer in any way. If the PS5 releases 3 years after the Neo then the leap from PS4 -> Neo should be similar to the leap from Neo -> PS5. If so, reverting back to the traditional generational cycle where games can't be played on previous consoles and backwards compatibility isn't garunteed makes the PS5 a less consumer friendly product than the Neo. By doing this Sony would also be telling consumers to only buy consoles in the launch window if they're okay with upgrading a few years later or want to own the weaker version of the console for the entire cycle. They'd also be establishing the mid-gen upgrades as niche hardware for enthusiasts who don't mind their purchase becoming obsolete three years later (unlike the launch version of the console which can continue playing new games after the mid-gen upgrade is released).

Basically, releasing a console that plays the previous console's games and doesn't make the previous console obsolete only to release a console that doesn't play the previous console's games and requires developers to develop for it specifically is weird and not consumer friendly.

Rembrandt

Banned

The Neo offers more capabilities when it comes to VR. I can definitely see devs offering the regular game to PS4 owners and a VR exclusive mode to Neo owners. I think that falls in line with the guidelines floating around about no exclusive Neo games. I just saw your edit. If Sony said no to exclusive modes then I may be wrong but I don't think I am. VR is gonna be the white line between the two. It's all conjecture of course.

.... and that defeats my point how?

MS said "No one left behind". When in fact they are leaving people behind.

Same game but exclusive modes?

icespide

Banned
The Neo offers more capabilities when it comes to VR. I can definitely see devs offering the regular game to PS4 owners and a VR exclusive mode to Neo owners. I think that falls in line with the guidelines floating around about no exclusive Neo games.

those leaked guidelines specifically say no exclusive gameplay stuffs

The Neo offers more capabilities when it comes to VR. I can definitely see devs offering the regular game to PS4 owners and a VR exclusive mode to Neo owners. I think that falls in line with the guidelines floating around about no exclusive Neo games.

No exclusive neo modes either so....

Agent X

I don't see how a 100 dollar price difference would even work. They might as well just ditch the OG PS4 because who would not spend the 100 dollars for 2x the power. There needs to be at least a 150 dollar price difference IMO.

I don't think there "needs" to be a $150 difference, although it is possible. $100 is still a big enough deal for a lot of people.

I think the ultimate goal is for the PS4 Neo to completely replace the existing PS4 at some point, probably about 12-18 months after the Neo's release. Sony should aim to get the Neo down to $299, regardless of what Microsoft does with Project Scorpio. I don't think they need to be concerned with an "ultra high powered" or "elite" PS4 in 2018 or 2019, because I think people would prefer to just see Sony go all-out and deliver a true next-generation PlayStation 5.

icespide

Banned
I edited my post. I guess we'll just see. I doubt the non-exclusively thing lasts on both sides. They're gonna adjust for adoption rates.

if these iterative consoles really take off I could see restrictions on those rules laxing a bit but, if the install base for the poor console remains strong, they'll just stick to more eye candy

Can we get some FreeSync support/TVs while you at it as well? Thanks.
Would prefer Gsync but ain't nobody dealing with Nvidia lol.

Yes, please... please. Free-sync support on consoles and TV's via HDMI which is happening would seriously force Nvidia to be serious about Adaptive-Sync solutions on their cards as well as G-sync. It needs to happen. I guess the main argument against it though is it's an increased cost... however minor (A few dollars) and that console games run at low locked frame rates with little variance so there's not much point for it. On the flip side it can help eliminate pull down judder and such on 60hz native screens for movie viewing as well. So it's not simply limited to games.

Inuhanyou

Once the Neo is introduced I don't see how releasing the PS5 as a "next-gen" console and not just another iterative upgrades benefits Sony or the consumer in any way.

They are thinking in terms of the leap of PS4 to PS5 though, not PS4 to NEO. Hence why they might go with Jaguar and a 4.2 tflop GPU over something like Scorpio.

PS4K is a side grade. In terms of where they will mandate developer resources for a fresh start will be their numbered entrees, because they will likely put more investment into those.

They still want to keep stability in the industry where there will be a point where new hardware dictates new experiences. They just want something in between for those in their own ecosystem who are not satisfied with the base generational change.

farisr

You got some proof?

The XB1 is very weak but we haven't heard if VR doesn't work on it.
There is no outright statement saying the original Xbox One won't begetting VR, but they were touting Scorpio as (paraphrasing) "finally a console strong enough to do VR", so it's pretty safe to assume that VR will be Scorpio exclusive.

autoduelist

All the people in here claiming variants of 'this is what i said! everybody else is crazy!'...

Do you seriously think PS4.5, 5.5, 6.5 is a good solution?

I mean, we're basically establishing that hey, each new console release won't be -quite- good enough to handle its *own* games, so 3 years later we're going to need a 'neo' premium console just to run *the current gens* games properly.

Don't you see how bizarre this is?

Don't you see how it causes a bizarre clash between launch and neo owners, as every time a game comes out any glitch or framedrop in the launch version will cause launch owners to be upset that it wasn't optimized for them properly, and any game that doesn't have a 'good enough' [in the eyes of the beholder] neo version will cause neo owners to feel like launch owners are holding them back?

These mid-gen refreshes are odd. It makes some sense because of VR and 4K -- that is, two intensive techs that happen to be hitting mid gen. But as a continued, planned every gen thing it makes very little sense.

Rembrandt

Banned
if these iterative consoles really take off I could see restrictions on those rules laxing a bit but, if the install base for the poor console remains strong, they'll just stick to more eye candy

For sure. I'm really interested in seeing how consumers respond. It'll be pointless to not offer substantial benefits if tons of people move over but it also risks losing those that bought the bought the console early that are neglected.

Scorpio is gonna have it harder than Neo in a regard because the PS4 seems fully prepped for VR already while Scorpio doesn't. It'll bee interesting to see the differences between PS4 VR and Neos.

I will be shocked if we don't get one neo/scorpio exclusive game, though.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You got some proof?

The XB1 is very weak but we haven't heard if VR doesn't work on it.

It won't work on the XB1 as it won't even come close to the min specs of the Vive or Oculus rift. MS will be going with a 3rd party VR solution and none of them would remotely work on the XB1.

Crayon

Once the Neo is introduced I don't see how releasing the PS5 as a "next-gen" console and not just another iterative upgrades benefits Sony or the consumer in any way.

If PS5 gets a good cpu or other significant upgrade, it will be easier to demonstrate that upgrade in a game that is not restricted by total feature-parity one or two consoles back.

BokehKing

Banned
Hmmm

Where the Neo seems to be a small bump mid cycle upgrade, Microsoft seeks to be kick starting the next generation while still supporting the Xbox one, once Sony comes out with a Ps5 or whatever, you won't see anymore games coming out exclusively for Scorpio that will be playable on a Xbox One system. (Both companies will have my money regardless)

I'll use everyone's favorite word from Off atopic forums

Microsoft is going to Pivot
Wait for it come 2018

Afrodium

Banned
They are thinking in terms of the leap of PS4 to PS5 though, not PS4 to NEO. Hence why they might go with Jaguar and a 4.2 tflop GPU over something like Scorpio.

PS4K is a side grade. In terms of where they will mandate developer resources for a fresh start will be their numbered entrees, because they will likely put more investment into those.

They still want to keep stability in the industry where there will be a point where new hardware dictates new experiences. They just want something in between for those in their own ecosystem who are not satisfied with the base generational change.

Do you mean PS4 to PS5 or Neo to PS5? When PS5 rolls around I garuntee you won't see consumers or journalists looking at the PS4 to PS5 leap, they'll be comparing it to the most recent gaming hardware from Sony. If they're releasing new hardware every three years then the huge generational leaps we used to see will vanish. If Sony comes out with a new console every three years that have similar graphical leaps between them and tells consumers that only ever other console will be forwards compatible then they'll have to deal with a mess of consumer confusion and outrage.

Inuhanyou

All the people in here claiming variants of 'this is what i said! everybody else is crazy!'...

I mean, we're basically establishing that hey, each new console release won't be -quite- good enough to handle its *own* games, so 3 years later we're going to need a 'neo' premium console just to run *the current gens* games properly.

But that's not what this is at all. This is an iterative unit to give the current gen games a boost that did not exist at the conception of the PS4's hardware. The PS4 runs a majority of its games fine, this is just running them better and beyond the base settings afforded by the base console.

All PR irregardless of company/corporation should be taken with a liberal amount of salt.

But they have just been saying the same thing over and over, and this is literally what is said in the documentation to developers with the first information we got on NEO. People keep saying its PR, but its literally in the documents the journalists got from the leaks and wasn't statements to the press or fans from any suit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think the most interesting thing out of these new console refreshes is how each of the big 3 is handling them. Sony is keeping its cards close to its chest about the new iterations of the PS4 yet they are still talking about them in obvious and broad terms if not giving a final name, specs or the like. Whereas MS is being far more up front, tossing specs out there a year and a half before the Scorpio is released. They can't wait to tell us more. Then there is Nintendo and we know very little about the NX as they are playing the super secretive route as even the new Zelda previews didn't give us much to go on about the NX.

Agent X

Don't you see how bizarre this is?

Don't you see how it causes a bizarre clash between launch and neo owners, as every time a game comes out any glitch or framedrop in the launch version will cause launch owners to be upset that it wasn't optimized for them properly, and any game that doesn't have a 'good enough' [in the eyes of the beholder] neo version will cause neo owners to feel like launch owners are holding them back?

These mid-gen refreshes are odd. It makes some sense because of VR and 4K -- that is, two intensive techs that happen to be hitting mid gen. But as a continued, planned every gen thing it makes very little sense.

You brought up a lot of good points, especially with the paragraph that I emphasized in bold. It's going to be quite the balancing act for developers, deciding whether to cater more toward the low-end or high-end PS4 owners. This is why I'd rather see the game console manufacturers concentrate their efforts on creating true next-generation systems, as the technological benefits are generally much more apparent and meaningful.

One of the main reasons why the video game console market still exists is so developers have a fixed set of specifications that they can focus on. If the hardware makers constantly deliver moving targets, then there's no longer a focus.

border

Also I think it's pretty clear now that Sony's plans and philosophy behind the Neo are different from Microsoft with Scorpio.

Phil Spencer said almost exactly the same thing about Scorpio though. They will do upgrades at times where there is a huge inflection point of technology (4K/VR), and not annual or bi-annual upgrades.

xaosslug

i feel like the $499 price point is being bandied about so that when PS4K's announced @ $399 peeps can be like 'OMG, praise SONY!!!!' etc. XD

Afrodium

Banned
Let's do a thought experiment. Pretend you work for Sony PR. The year is 2020. Six years ago you launched the PS4 to great success. Three years after that you made an unprecedented move of releasing a mid-gen console that can play all PS4 games at higher frame rates and with better graphical capabilities. To assuage customer fears, you made it clear that the hugely successful PS4 user base would not be left behind and that no games would be made exclusively for the Neo. Both the original PS4 and Neo could play any PS4 game. Now, three years later, you are releasing the PS5. The bump from the Neo to PS5 is very similar to the leap from PS4 to Neo and the same amount of time has passed since the launch of the Neo to today as between the PS4 and Neo's respective releases. The main difference between the leap from Neo to PS5 and the leap from PS4 to Neo is that the PS5 is numbered and Neo owners will have to buy a new console if they want to play PS5 games.

Sell the PS5.

Brhoom

Banned
Unless PS5 does mandatory 4k 60fps in all of it's games, the Neo will still look like regular upgrades just Like the ones in PC.

Saying you are not trying to copy PC and Mobile is not gonna make us believe you, the only way to prove your point is with the PS5 and how much of a jump it is from Neo.

Top Bottom