• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Principal Graphics Engineer confirms PS5 has custom architecture that is based on RDNA2. (Update: Read OP)

Uhm, not sure if ERA is gonna like this hot take:

I can see him getting into legal trouble with Sony, especially after breaking NDA (looks like an Xbot PM baited him, rookie mistake for an industry professional).

Last edited:

Lethal01

We already knew this?
Lol its fake as per usual with you xbox fan boys .

wh0CWH1.jpg

Are you saying that PS5 will have all the features of standard RDNA2?
And that the customizations in it does not include using elements that were in RDNA1?

According to RedGamingTech, Xbox Series X is not a full RDNA 2 either.

His sources state that PlayStation 5 also has VRS and it will be using some features of RDNA 3.

None of this is news; I was referring to RedTechGaming when talking about possible RDNA3 features in PS5 and Series X, because he also mentioned he's heard rumors of possible RDNA3 features on the Series platforms as well (you'd have to watch his videos on this though; tbf most of his sources are PlayStation guys he even admits this himself).

"Custom" RDNA2 means exactly that; they aren't PC RDNA2 GPUs. The question has always been to what extent and "weight" certain features are present. The idea of PS5 not featuring ML is surprising no matter which way you look at it, again especially considering the Pro had FP16 support.

FWIW, keep in mind RTG is just a speculator with connections, just like some of the insiders. And some of them ended up quite wrong on parts of the next-gen specs, there's no telling if Paul is 100% right about his speculations or if his connections are current/updated/in the active loop. At the end of the day just like the insiders, he's a messenger and should be given the benefit of the doubt. But if their speculation ends up wrong in places, it wouldn't mean they were BS'ing, it's just mean their sources went bad and you can't control the quality of your sources in this rumor mill game.

With no actual confirmation he said any of it, as far as I can see, so.......

Plausible deniability.

Last edited:
Uhm, not sure if ERA is gonna like this hot take:

I can see him getting into legal trouble with Sony, especially after breaking NDA (looks like an Xbot PM baited him, rookie mistake for an industry professional).

LMAO, this just cast some serious shades on the OP.

This could get him fired.

Lol sure enjoy ur x1x2 oops i meant xsx . I ll come back to you in 4 months when u say sony paid for parity 😂😂

Weak.

Yes, we will everytime DF does head to head anlaysis. Will be funny when Halo Infinite(cross gen) looks better than anything shown at the sony event, including 1st party exclusives

And i argue that every time XSX wins a DF head to head, it will be you saying devs are too lazy to make use of that unicorn, PS5 SSD that has pixy dust sprinkled all over it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
RedTechGaming is a independent youtuber that gets like 5,000 viewers. We have a Sony principle graphics engineer dev working on PS5.
Yeah........

quotes web site, which quotes neogaf, which quotes resetera...as a more accurate source than Sony.

So let me get this straight.

Mark Cerny is the lead systems architect, but his comments are negated by a principle graphics engineer?

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

kbear

Think it's clear now that Sony, for various reasons, shifted a focus to SSD I/O in a way they felt befitting their design. The question is if this was in reaction to feeling they went with a GPU architecture design more in line with RDNA1 as its base, or if this is something they had planned from the absolute beginning?
That's exactly what happened. They realized they shit the bed with RDNA1 and since it was too late to redesign the architecture they shifted focus to improving the SSD both in terms of hardware and PR. This is what I've always suspected. They got caught with their pants down.

Weak.

Yes, we will everytime DF does head to head anlaysis. Will be funny when Halo Infinite(cross gen) looks better than anything shown at the sony event, including 1st party exclusives

And i argue that every time XSX wins a DF head to head, it will be you saying devs are too lazy to make use of that unicorn, PS5 SSD that has pixy dust sprinkled all over it.
Dream on bud. All the best looking games are on 1.8tf console and not 6tf discontinued shortest living console. Talent stays wining 👀👀😂💪

J_Gamer.exe

Yeah, I'd trust him more than anything else posted here.... if this whole thing turns out to be another Xbox fan created troll, it will be a very bad look for them. After the whole GOW on steam thing..... they really are looking pathetic lately! (Not all Xbox fans obviously)

The only way this is fake is if the guy who posted it has faked it. It was posted by Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens and his conversation with the PS5 guy.

I don't think he did although obviously no idea, he's an xbox guy but seemed to be looking to get some answers on twitter and then posted a DM.

Certainly strange though that the guy says he can't legally disclose anything not already public but then goes on to do just that....

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and redesign the PS5 as RDNA2 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
This is satire right?

Btw, people need to remember that the PS4 GPU is based on a laptop GCN 1.0 part (Radeon 7970M):

The PS4 GPU has 8 ACEs, which is a GCN 1.1 feature. Early GCN GPUs don't support the full DX12 feature level and that's why they don't even run modern DX12 games (Death Stranding for example).

To me it seems both consoles seem to have RDNA2 features bolted on. Just like PS4 Pro had Vega features (FP16/RPM) and XBOX 360 had unified shaders long before it came on PC.

Allandor

No ML means no DLSS like functionality. DLSS in some games is difference between 30fps and 60fps with actually better graphics (like in Control).
No, that doesn't mean it. You totally forget, that DLSS was delivered through shaders at some point (with version 1.x), because nvidia didn't have a working solution via their extra cores after DLSS 1.0 desaster. And it also worked with minimal cost to shader performance.

AMD states it is RDNA 2 based. So I take that word. It is just a definition, nothing more. If RDNA 2 would be final, we would already hold RDNA 2 cards in our hands. Sony might have cut out things, that they think that are not necessary for them.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
None of this is news; I was referring to RedTechGaming when talking about possible RDNA3 features in PS5 and Series X, because he also mentioned he's heard rumors of possible RDNA3 features on the Series platforms as well (you'd have to watch his videos on this though; tbf most of his sources are PlayStation guys he even admits this himself).

"Custom" RDNA2 means exactly that; they aren't PC RDNA2 GPUs. The question has always been to what extent and "weight" certain features are present. The idea of PS5 not featuring ML is surprising no matter which way you look at it, again especially considering the Pro had FP16 support.

FWIW, keep in mind RTG is just a speculator with connections, just like some of the insiders. And some of them ended up quite wrong on parts of the next-gen specs, there's no telling if Paul is 100% right about his speculations or if his connections are current/updated/in the active loop. At the end of the day just like the insiders, he's a messenger and should be given the benefit of the doubt. But if their speculation ends up wrong in places, it wouldn't mean they were BS'ing, it's just mean their sources went bad and you can't control the quality of your sources in this rumor mill game.

I know about RTG. I also know that he has PlayStation sources. It may not be news to you, but it's news to people who are trying to paint this false narrative.

Any equivalent to DLSS or ML not being in PS5 is not confirmed at this point.

People said there's no VRS, but his sources state that it's in the PS5. People think that since Mark Cerny didn't mention it, that means it's closer to RDNA 1 than actually being RDNA 2.

If they helped designed future RDNA features, along with using features that will be in RDNA 3, then people shouldn't be so quick to believe key features won't be in the PlayStation 5.

nosseman

RDNA 2 based =/= RDNA 2

If something is based on something else, it just means there are many similarities and features present, but not 100% identical. This just leads more credence to the RDNA 1.5 tweet.

Exactly.

Its custom chips designed for Sony and Microsoft.

They probably started with a "full" CU from RDNA 2 and tossed stuff they did not need or wanted and took some other stuff from RNDA 1 and put it together.

That is the only explanation I could see when they can cram 8 zen2 cores AND 36CUs/52CUs on a single APU.

AMDs own APU (the best they offer) is the Ryzen 9 4900H.

8 cores - 16 threads and 8 CU:s - you read that right - 8 CUs.

So let me get this straight.

Mark Cerny is the lead systems architect, but his comments are negated by a principle graphics engineer?

Mark Cerny could have alleviated all confusion by stating outright during the "Road to PS5" presentation that PS5 uses RDNA2. Instead, he said "we have a custom AMD GPU based on RDNA2 technology". As I said before, based on RDNA2 =/= RDNA2.

semicool

Banned
I was saying this all along because of RDNA 1 terms like primitive shaders, geometry engines, no VRS, ML etc So it's "custom" RDNA 1 base with some RDNA 2 features.....Dashboard Confessional song Vindicated anyone 😀 ?

I expect the full SDF(Sony Defense Force) soon in this thread.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

RDNA 2 based =/= RDNA 2

If something is based on something else, it just means there are many similarities and features present, but not 100% identical. This just leads more credence to the RDNA 1.5 tweet.

Well maybe both statement are right. It's definitely RDNA2 based and has the performance per watt and Raytracing. The clocks couldn't go so high without the efficiency advances.

But yes maybe not full RDNA 2 as standard with a few features not deemwd needed by Sony for whatever reason. It can still have features from or RDNA 3 or RDNA3 have features that become like PS5.

Rapid pack math was a feature the pro had from a future architecture so it can happen.

As pointed out in the speculation thread though all games so far are exactly the same on both consoles in res and framerate as well as most devs saying they are similar. So clearly there's not much difference in the real world and if there was an actual difference in architecture that wouldn't be the case.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I can't wait for people to see this will be the smallest gap between rival consoles since consoles existed

Then the focus will be back on the games like it should be :)

Last edited:
Dream on bud. All the best looking games are on 1.8tf console and not 6tf discontinued shortest living console. Talent stays wining 👀👀😂💪

The best looking current gen game is RDR 2 on XB1X. And why is it that XB1X eclusives aim for 60fps(Halo 5/Gears 5)while all PS4 exclusives aim for 30fps? Also, it will be interesting when we see Hellblade 2, Playgrounds(rpg team full of Rockstar/Rocksteady devs) new Fable, The Initiatives(full of Sony Santa Monica/Rockstar/Naught Dog devs)new games

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Mark Cerny could have alleviated all confusion by stating outright during the "Road to PS5" presentation that PS5 uses RDNA2. Instead, he said "we have a custom AMD GPU based on RDNA2 technology". As I said before, based on RDNA2 =/= RDNA2.
This would mean much if he said Custom RDNA 1 instead of Custom RDNA 2.

Custom RDNA 2 sounds like Custom RDNA 2 APU with their own features.

Maybe Cerny should have revealed more of the basic RDNA 2 features, or maybe he's saving it for later.

The issue is that you have fanboys looking to spread misinformation.

SaucyJack

This really isn’t hard.

The silicon in both PS5 and Series X is customised. They have taken the features from RDNA 1 and 2 that they want, some features are completely redundant for consoles. It doesn’t matter what you call this, RDNA2 based or between 1 and 2, they are not missing any RDNA 2 features that They wanted.

it also appears that some of Sony's customisations have been seen as more broadly useful by AMD and included in RDNA3

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So, has anyone at Sony confirmed officially that it’s RDNA2 or otherwise?
I mean, I couldn’t frankly care less, but it seems to be firing some people up, so best to nail down the truth.
Awesome nickname btw.

I'll still support PlayStation but this stuff is really pissing me off....

The incompetence between the way they handled TLOU2 leaks, the bad marketing job they did for Ghost of Tsushima, putting stupid games like Goodbye Volcano High in the PS5 reveal (I mean WTF)!

Then all of the bad messaging with the console.... if this is truly not full RDNA2, then they better be charging much less than the competition.

I'm still not totally convinced this is real cause we've seen a lot of misinformation put out there about PlayStation trying to damage the brand from..... well you know!

Anyway, if they start pushing streaming, I'll be done with them.... I'll just go back to being Nintendo only.
just go Nintendo only now. Less stress

alstrike

RedTechGaming is a independent youtuber that gets like 5,000 viewers. We have a Sony principle graphics engineer dev working on PS5.
Yeah........

And we have Lisa Su and Mark Cerny debunking this pile of shit, not to mention the fact that those "DMs" are fake AF.

But thanks for playing I guess...

GetemMa

I love these threads.

giphy.gif

Is it RDNA 1 or 2 or 1.5 or 2* and 1* or "custom AMD RDNA"?

The utter panic of these console warriors is hilarious.

Digital Foundry is going to be very popular next gen for any multiplats that come out and we get to see the pixel counts and the levels of Ray Tracing and blah blah blah...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Missing ML would be huge issue, because that's like most advanced feature, which has real life benefits. I would also expect for Cerny to boast about it. If they feel like Tempest 3D is worth it instead of ML, than...not so sure, because that puts a lot of monetary demand to not have shitty audio.

But will see, so far, I am kind of confused, because that Geometry engine was present on RDNA 1, but RDNA 2 apparently has HW accelerated Mesh Shader (pretty much every feature you can get by software, but it suck a lot of power obviously)

But honestly Tensor cores is why RTX series, have bigger power consumption and if you run GPU on ungodly 2.23Ghz, maybe that's why they opted out.

Will see. But some things were missing from presentation which MS boast about...in advance let's just say.

But most importantly is that guy legit, you can throw shit on twitter without any proof, like you can see in Clown World thread and on Ree.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'll still support PlayStation but this stuff is really pissing me off....

The incompetence between the way they handled TLOU2 leaks, the bad marketing job they did for Ghost of Tsushima, putting stupid games like Goodbye Volcano High in the PS5 reveal (I mean WTF)!

Then all of the bad messaging with the console.... if this is truly not full RDNA2, then they better be charging much less than the competition.

I'm still not totally convinced this is real cause we've seen a lot of misinformation put out there about PlayStation trying to damage the brand from..... well you know!

Anyway, if they start pushing streaming, I'll be done with them.... I'll just go back to being Nintendo only.
Don't let this stuff bother you bro, PS5 will be a beast trust me. No one will care about this stuff at launch or after the games start releasing

J_Gamer.exe

This really isn’t hard.

The silicon in both PS5 and Series X is customised. They have taken the features from RDNA 1 and 2 that they want, some features are completely redundant for consoles. It doesn’t matter what you call this, RDNA2 based or between 1 and 2, they are not missing any RDNA 2 features that They wanted.

it also appears that some of Sony's customisations have been seen as more broadly useful by AMD and included in RDNA3

Yes this. Exactly this.

The coherencey engines may be such things deemed useful. He said the cache scrubbers were just for them. There will surely be other stuff yet unannounced they wanted from future architectures as happened in the past.

Also worth people listening again to this from Cerny, saying RDNA 2 features are malleable and how PS5 can influence future architectures.

Watch for about a minute...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love these threads.

giphy.gif

Is it RDNA 1 or 2 or 1.5 or 2* and 1* or "custom AMD RDNA"?

The utter panic of these console warriors is hilarious.

Digital Foundry is going to be very popular next gen for any multiplats that come out and we get to see the pixel counts and the levels of Ray Tracing and blah blah blah...
Digital Foundry: PS5 ray traced reflections are checkerboarded to 1080p. XSX reflections are native 1080p.
GAF:
3RJ0.gif

Bryank75

Banned
Don't let this stuff bother you bro, PS5 will be a beast trust me. No one will care about this stuff at launch or after the games start releasing
I'm super patient (just a bit unhinged), so I'll just keep my preorders and keep my eye on things.

If I feel pissed off about something I'll just keep one.

Bryank75

Banned
Yes this. Exactly this.

The coherencey engines may be such things deemed useful. He said the cache scrubbers were just for them.

Also worth people listening again to this from Cerny, saying RDNA 2 features are malleable and how PS5 can influence future architectures.

Watch for about a minute...

So it delivers every bit of power etc that RDNA2 does but just custimizes the features to console.... (PS5)

So this whole thing is another ruse! Great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom