• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Principal Graphics Engineer confirms PS5 has custom architecture that is based on RDNA2. (Update: Read OP)

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm super patient (just a bit unhinged), so I'll just keep my preorders and keep my eye on things.

If I feel pissed off about something I'll just keep one.
Yeah I hear ya. These are the same engineers that have been having the most visually impressive software for decades. Mark Cerny, the I.C.E team inside Naughty Dog, they know what they're doing and we'll see the fruits of their design choices very soon

You see there's only but one problem with this statement. It's grossly inconsistent.

Why is Mark Cerny talking about RDNA 2 CU's here if it is not an RDNA 2 GPU in the PS5? If it was RDNA 1.5 then he would be talking about RDNA 1 CUs. He said that it was an RDNA 2 based GPU. Base means starting point. Then you build on that.

Stop me if I’m wrong but it appears that the only RDNA2 feature the ps5 is confirmed to have is hardware based ray tracing???

If true, I wonder if feature cuts in the CU are due to the complexity mentioned in keeping the GPU compatible at a hardware level with the GCN based CU’s in PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Regardless, if I was Microsoft I’d be working overtime to develop a version of DLSS using ML similar to nvidia to push the competitive advantage they have.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'll still support PlayStation but this stuff is really pissing me off....

The incompetence between the way they handled TLOU2 leaks, the bad marketing job they did for Ghost of Tsushima, putting stupid games like Goodbye Volcano High in the PS5 reveal (I mean WTF)!

Then all of the bad messaging with the console.... if this is truly not full RDNA2, then they better be charging much less than the competition.

I'm still not totally convinced this is real cause we've seen a lot of misinformation put out there about PlayStation trying to damage the brand from..... well you know!

Anyway, if they start pushing streaming, I'll be done with them.... I'll just go back to being Nintendo only.
Oh my god, marry me. I think I have found the one person on gaf who thinks like me.

Yes, this is getting aggravating. Where there is smoke, there is fire. There have been way too many of these smokes around the PS5 and the reveal didnt do it any favors. No gameplay for horizon, demon and spiderman. Underwhelming graphics upgrade especially compared to Unreal Engine rebirth demo, and Hellblade 2. SSD was used as a gimmick by one game. How do we know it improves graphics in other games?

No real interviews by Mark Cerny to clear up any of these lingering questions. he did one interview with DF months ago and it didnt clear up anything. Phil is out there chatting with Washington Post and whoever would talk to him, and Sony cant send out their main architect to dispel some rumors about their console?

Is VRS in the console? Yes or no. Is Machine Learning in? What are the average clocks? Why are we relying on principal engineers and ex-architects on twitter to get our information when the specs have been out. When the console has been revealed. And the games have been shown?

We dont even know what kind of native boost mode will be on the PS5. It is atrocious marketing. I can understand engineering mistakes or limitations that made them go with a rdna 1.0 gpu and bolt on RT and machine learning and other rdna 2.0 features. I wont be happy, but I can understand that. But this kind of secrecy is just misleading at this point. People need to know whats inside these consoles so they can make an informed decision. I really dont care about specs enough to not buy a PS5, but on principle I think its important that all of these questions be answered. It's shocking how Cerny hasnt done a single video interview yet.

I'll still support PlayStation but this stuff is really pissing me off....

The incompetence between the way they handled TLOU2 leaks, the bad marketing job they did for Ghost of Tsushima, putting stupid games like Goodbye Volcano High in the PS5 reveal (I mean WTF)!

Then all of the bad messaging with the console.... if this is truly not full RDNA2, then they better be charging much less than the competition.

I'm still not totally convinced this is real cause we've seen a lot of misinformation put out there about PlayStation trying to damage the brand from..... well you know!

Anyway, if they start pushing streaming, I'll be done with them.... I'll just go back to being Nintendo only.
Lol, first you got mad at Ubisoft and swore to never buy any ubi game, now you mad at Sony :messenger_tears_of_joy: .
I hate to see you like this, don't worry man, stay strong, it's just a ...
As long as PS5 plays games..... I think I'll be fine!
... Nvm that was quick.
Will it feel bad when PlayStation sells 3 times more than Series X anyway?

What about when the exclusives on PS5 completely overshadow anything on the X?

It's ok, you can do what Xbox fans all do to feel better.... post spoilers about PS exclusives and reviewbomb...
And back to warring :messenger_grinning:

Bryank75

Banned
Oh my god, marry me. I think I have found the one person on gaf who thinks like me.

Yes, this is getting aggravating. Where there is smoke, there is fire. There have been way too many of these smokes around the PS5 and the reveal didnt do it any favors. No gameplay for horizon, demon and spiderman. Underwhelming graphics upgrade especially compared to Unreal Engine rebirth demo, and Hellblade 2. SSD was used as a gimmick by one game. How do we know it improves graphics in other games?

No real interviews by Mark Cerny to clear up any of these lingering questions. he did one interview with DF months ago and it didnt clear up anything. Phil is out there chatting with Washington Post and whoever would talk to him, and Sony cant send out their main architect to dispel some rumors about their console?

Is VRS in the console? Yes or no. Is Machine Learning in? What are the average clocks? Why are we relying on principal engineers and ex-architects on twitter to get our information when the specs have been out. When the console has been revealed. And the games have been shown?

We dont even know what kind of native boost mode will be on the PS5. It is atrocious marketing. I can understand engineering mistakes or limitations that made them go with a rdna 1.0 gpu and bolt on RT and machine learning and other rdna 2.0 features. I wont be happy, but I can understand that. But this kind of secrecy is just misleading at this point. People need to know whats inside these consoles so they can make an informed decision. I really dont care about specs enough to not buy a PS5, but on principle I think its important that all of these questions be answered. It's shocking how Cerny hasnt done a single video interview yet.
Yes. I was always on the PlayStation train....I will get one but all of those are serious problems. Communication is terrible, I dunno what is going on but they really need to get a handle on messaging and start engaging with the community.

Back at the start of the PS4 Shuhei and Boyes and others put themselves out there and were talking to people. Now it's like Ryan is totally detached, up in some building somewhere doing no intereviews, no interaction...just nothing.

It's all being taken advantage of.... people are finding holes in what they've said and making it all into a PR disaster.

I'll just call it bad management.

Last edited:

Cloaka

Neo Member

Sony will never answer those questions tho.
And even if they have some tech or custom tech, they will never answer direct questions like "PS5 has VRS or ML?".
They will let people believe in wathever they want.

Last edited:

iorek21

Does that mean that the PS5 is even weaker than XSX?

If that's the case, then I'm shocked that Sony would deliver such an inferior product when compared to the competition, specially after nailing the PS4.

I'm very ignorant about hardware though, so if someone can enlighten me about the subject, I'd be very glad.

SlimySnake

Some of you take this console stuff WAYYYYYY to seriously. Like literally going through the stages of grief just because your console of choice MAY be RDNA 1.5.

It’s just a piece of plastic
meh, you are on a video game forum where people have been speculating about this hardware for 2+ years in a thread that has more than 100 thousand replies and like 10 million views. of course, people will care.

SlimySnake

Yes. I was always on the PlayStation train....I will get one but all of those are serious problems. Communication is terrible, I dunno what is going on but they really need to get a handle on messaging and start engaging with the community.

Back at the start of the PS4 Shuhei and Boyes and others put themselves out there and were talking to people. Now it's like Ryan is totally detached, up in some building somewhere doing no intereviews, no interaction...just nothing.

It's all being taken advantage of.... people are finding holes in what they've said and making it all into a PR disaster.

I'll just call it bad management.
Yep. it allows for ridiculous takes like this below to perpetuate.

now apparently xbox is literally 2x as powerful. lol
This is a big deal if true. Here is a very rough hypothetical breakdown.

12 TFLOPS
+ 25% ML upscale efficiency improvement
+ 25% IPC improvement (RDNA2 is supposedly 50% more than RDNA1, but I split that in half)
+ 25% VRS efficiency improvement

= 23.4TF or 130% performance difference over PS5

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Lol, first you got mad at Ubisoft and swore to never buy any ubi game, now you mad at Sony :messenger_tears_of_joy: .
I hate to see you like this, don't worry man, stay strong, it's just a ...

... Nvm that was quick.

And back to warring :messenger_grinning:
Edited..I was a bit unfair to the Xbox crowd..... sorry!

I get carried away sometimes.

You have to see this from the other side.... this whole thread seems like a giant troll!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

12 TFLOPS
+ 25% IPC improvement (RDNA2 is supposedly 50% more than RDNA1, but I split that in half)

I think ML is way bigger deal honestly, for actually saving performance.

Dee_Dee

meh, you are on a video game forum where people have been speculating about this hardware for 2+ years in a thread that has more than 100 thousand replies and like 10 million views. of course, people will care.
Nothing wrong with caring but why the dramatics? Will Sony all of sudden not know how to make great games now? The games are still coming and will look great. That’s all I’m trying to say

cragarmi

So let's look at it logically for a second. You are building a soc which has to be capable of running next gen VR games as well as regular flat screen gaming. You have the chance to include features such as ML and VRS. ML could help push VR games to a much higher frame rate without affecting fidelity by using a form of MLAA. Why wouldn't you include this in your chipset, knowing the potential gains meet your objectives?. I appreciate that it's always a balance, but come on.

As far as VRS is concerned, it's a feature that less than 10%? of your customers are going to be able to use, and that's being generous. Need to save space on your die? Yeah that's getting cut.

Tbf I'm not confirming VRS has been cut, I just don't consider it would be a priority if your stripping out features anyway to make room for IO improvements.

Leonidas

Some of you take this console stuff WAYYYYYY to seriously. Like literally going through the stages of grief just because your console of choice MAY be RDNA 1.5.

It’s just a piece of plastic

Sad to see Sony fans crying over such things, I for one have never cried on this forum due to lack of hardware power :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Jtibh

Banned
Lots of neos lots of alt accounts and lots of old accounts with a post count just above 100.

Yep this is a lets trash ps5 thread.
Pussy's dont even dare to risk their main account cuz they know what comes next.

Sooooo many of these holy shit.

Last edited:

12 TFLOPS

But PS5 uses RDNA CU's. Regardless of what features may or may not be missing, it uses the same RDNA CUs. So those same IPC gains get attributed to the PS5 too.

Bryank75

Banned
It must be because Sony is broke and can't afford RDNA2.....

They probably can't afford to make good games anymore either...

I heard PS5 is held together with chewing gum and doublesided sticky-tape too!

Looks like Xbox has next gen ON LOCK!!!

Streaming is the future and console sales don't matter.... but also they do!

Can't wait for Microsoft to charge extra to listen to the music that used to come with games.... bright future ahead of us guys! So Bright... CELEBRATE!!!!

Praise be to Timdog, who died for our sins!

Last edited:
Edited..I was a bit unfair to the Xbox crowd..... sorry!

I get carried away sometimes.

You have to see this from the other side.... this whole thread seems like a giant troll!
(I'm neutral, i take no side) Don't worry i'm not the type of guy that get triggered and start spamming report everytime he reads a comment.
Are we friends now ? I really want to be your friend, i like you.

Bryank75

Banned
(I'm neutral, i take no side) Don't worry i'm not the type of guy that get triggered and start spamming report everytime he reads a comment.
Are we friends now ? I really want to be your friend, i like you.
Of course, I leave my childish console warring in the threads... I like everyone here and I don't really mean to offend anyone!

Top Bottom