• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Principal Graphics Engineer confirms PS5 has custom architecture that is based on RDNA2. (Update: Read OP)

Seriously guys
screenshot_20200719-0ktk2w.jpg

This doesn't invalidate anything in the OP, it's still using RDNA 2, but that doesn't mean it's also not RDNA 1 as well.

One does not invalidate the other. You're trying to dodge the obvious here. The fact that the GPU is 36 CU's and has 448GB/s of memory bandwidth should have been clue enough.

It's a hopped up and customized RX 5700.

GHG

The guy didn't even said it, if you see the tweet, he was talking about playing GoT and then for some console warrior reasons new stuff where added to his original tweet. How pathetic is that and you see here the usual suspects rejoicing :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

So it's like the Far Cry 6 stuff the other day?

If people want to use Twitter as a "source" then let them I guess. The truth eventually comes out.

This doesn't invalidate anything in the OP, it's still using RDNA 2, but that doesn't mean it's also not RDNA 1 as well.

One does not invalidate the other. You're trying to dodge the obvious here. The fact that the GPU is 36 CU's and has 448GB/s of memory bandwidth should have been clue enough.

It's a hopped up and customized RX 5700.

Oh boy...

Last edited:

Redlight

I've never seen anything like it, even with the Tera Flops advantage they have to fabricate more advantage's to make them feel better
Maybe they don't truly believe those Flop's are enough 🤔

You want to blame 'them' but I think this is self-generating.

Sony fans are outraged, accusing people of faking Twitter posts, pointing at some kind of grand conspiracy. However it's that attitude that gives news like this so much traction. It's not so much that the Sony guy said that the PS5 was somewhere between RDNA 1 and 2, it's the reaction to it.

Plenty of Sony fans are acting like RDNA 1.5 would be the end of the world, when most people here have no idea of the implications of the statement are. It might mean nothing at all.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Sony fans are outraged, accusing people of faking Twitter posts, pointing at some kind of grand conspiracy. However it's that attitude that gives news like this so much traction. It's not so much that the Sony guy said that the PS5 was somewhere between RDNA 1 and 2, it's the reaction to it.

Plenty of Sony fans are acting like RDNA 1.5 would be the end of the world, when most people here have no idea of the implications of the statement are. It might mean nothing at all.

This is why this shit is gold. They're having meltdowns because they need the ammo for their little plastic war.

Crying conspiracy or whatever, still means jack shit. The dude hasn't denied nor confirmed when asked about it. They have no issue with baseless rdna 3 claims tho.

You know its bad when even the trolls who only live in the spec thread come out and post in another thread.

GHG

I think you're right there, people wouldn't waste their time fabricating things, creating fake twitter accounts, etc if there wasn't any reaction to the bullshit.

As sad as it is, they only do it because they get a kick out of the reaction and subsequent fallout. If those things weren't forthcoming then they wouldn't bother.

But then on the other hand if people were to ignore it then it allows falsehoods to spread... It's a bit of a sticky one.

You see this happening all over twitter by the way, not just with console war stuff. I personally don't see any solution other than nuking twitter from existence, but then I'm someone who remembers what things were like before twitter took over the Internet.

Bollocks. Mark Cerny focused on I/O and high-speed storage in regard to designing the PlayStation 5 from the very beginning of the design process, because he designed the PlayStation 5 based on in-person talks with game developers about what they wanted in the PlayStation 5.

You guys are spreading FUD. Stop.

Did you not literally read the part of my quote where I posited it as a question?

This whole thing about FUD or non-FUD is paranoia. If a rumor is being presented, I give it the benefit of the doubt. Even then there are maybe parts I can't believe, like the mention of no ML in this particular rumor. I don't track how these rumors start, just work with what's presented and try speculating from there.

But if you aren't blind you also notice I never fully back any of these rumors either. Still question aspects of them and look at both sides to it all in terms of the actual relevant points a rumor or speculation that's tech-related brings up. You're free to ignore that and try lying about me spreading FUD but you'd be extremely ignorant when searching my posts in this thread show I've been discussing what this stuff could mean, if true, and in what ways it may be true and other ways it may not be.

Jumping to "you're just spreading FUD" shows you don't pay attention very well.

So it's all FUD and fake photoshopped tweet and you see the usual suspects acting like a it's "gotcha" moment. One even said love seeing the meltdown yikes! If you are that gullible eh SleepDoctor SleepDoctor , I have a bridge to sell you 🌉

Is there any proof of this aside from supposed doctoring of the original tweet? I took it this is the guy the Gavins Blur dev was referring to as having talked in private, right? If the tweets were private would they not show up differently? Sorry I don't keep up with Twitter shenanigans or really Twitter anything outside of stuff that gets linked to threads around here or other gaming forums I lurk.

That said even if this guy actually said what's been quoted here, outside of probably the no ML part I don't think most of it is necessarily controversial. It'd just align with it being "custom RDNA2", which I figured is what we all thought both systems would be: custom RDNA2. That could also mean some RDNA1 features which we already know PS5 at least has with Primitive Shaders.

The only thing that's been in contention is the weight of RDNA1 to RDNA2 features in the systems. These latest tweets regarding PS5 would seem to weight some parts of it a bit more to RDNA1 as a base but still having more or less all of the big RDNA2 features like RT, and most likely equivalents to things like VRS just maybe implemented differently in the graphics pipeline?

There is no such thing as "RDNA 2 features". Its a framework that has power efficiency and other performance benefits as a foundation and a malleable set of features. For example, if AMD liked the cache scrubbers from the PS5 GPU or the Tempest Engine stuff, they may be included in future RDNA 2 cards. If a feature like ML is missing from a card, that doesn't mean its not RDNA 2.

That's my point. Its fair to say that PS5 GPU is missing features, but you cant say its not RDNA 2.

I'm not using "features" literally; I know it's a framework that has a set of defined standards which can be customized for implementation into GPU designs as AMD, Microsoft, and Sony see fit. And also, that there are some aspects to the framework which were influenced by things Sony and Microsoft brought to the table via working with AMD engineers on their own respective next-gen design teams, that AMD might see fit to establish as standard features in the PC GPUs of RDNA2 and/or RDNA3.

Likewise there might be RDNA1, RDNA2, and/or RDNA3 (and perhaps even CDNA2 or CDNA3) features that AMD themselves have established in the roadmap of their own volition that Sony and Microsoft have pulled into the design of their next-gen GPUs. An example of that being with PS5 and its Primitive Shaders, Primitive Shaders being present on RDNA1 GPUs. Even in these cases though, Sony and Microsoft will have most likely made customizations to these to better fit their design goals.

I've never said PS5 is not RDNA2; if anything all I've said is that it is not full RDNA2 as in the entire standard/generic feature set of the RDNA2 framework we'll see on PC. Which is not only 100% accurate, but also applies to the Series systems. However I think when it comes to PS5 some people have only taken this to mean RDNA2 and maybe some RDNA3 while shunning anything RDNA1 being present because of assumed inferiority. In fact that's still happening, but I touched on earlier how in some cases it may've been a necessity for Sony (such as the Primitive Shaders), but that doesn't mean they haven't done tuning of those elements.

Being perfectly fair, any suggestion that PS5 has somewhat more weight of RDNA1 framework elements to it compared to the Series systems is a valid observation. That doesn't suddenly mean it's on old DUV process node or has the power profile of RDNA1 chips, or lacks equivalents to most RDNA2 features that may not be present on their system (again, Primitive Shaders being an equivalent for Mesh Shaders, and Sony most likely tuning the Primitive Shaders to be more compatible with Mesh Shader implementation). People need to stop reacting like that's being insinuated.

kyoji

So noone can explain why the ps5 guy took a conversation he was obviously concerned about discussing in public to a private dm on twitter with a random person, because he trusts that the conversation would not be publicized in this day in age right? Not only that but in the 3rd screen grab about machine learning he goes on to contradict the very reason for a private discussion in the first place, by divulging more info publicly voluntarily.

Missing source for the reply tweet, contradictory behavior. seems like legit info. got it. 🤔

I was up all nite playing Ghosts of tsushima line in the dm is only used to pursuade you that the dm is legit, because ps5 guy (rosario) really did tweet that in a seperate thread about playing the game until 5am. Its suppose to draw a connection and validate that the dm is real and not shopped.

Bryank75

Banned
So noone can explain why the ps5 guy took a conversation he was obviously concerned about discussing in public to a private dm on twitter with a random person, because he trusts that the conversation would not be publicized in this day in age right? Not only that but in the 3rd screen grab about machine learning he goes on to contradict the very reason for a private discussion in the first place, by divulging more info publicly voluntarily.

Missing source for the reply tweet, contradictory behavior. seems like legit info. got it. 🤔

I was up all nite playing Ghosts of tsushima line in the dm is only used to pursuade you that the dm is legit, because ps5 guy (rosario) really did tweet that in a seperate thread about playing the game until 5am. Its suppose to draw a connection and validate that the dm is real and not shopped.
Plus as pointed out several times, Cerny has slides and says several times that it is RDNA2 with all the RDNA2 efficiency, has a slide on the gains from efficiency from 1 to 2 and just says some features were changed to make it more applicable to console.....

Why would he bother explaining the advantages of RDNA2 if they don't apply to PS5?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If the ps5 isn't RDNA2 and XBOX is full RDNA2 the gap isn't that small anymore.

What has changed over the months before this tweets? We’ve heard for almost 2 years that this gen will be close. Even after both console reveals we’ve heard the Same thing.

It’s kinda funny because both console GPU’s are “custom”. Even Xbox has stated that multiple times. Both GPU’s are based on RDNA2 and not full videocards, that we will see later this year. Does it even matter much if the games will look the same and play the same? RDNA2 is still based on RDNA1 and RDNA3 is also in the works. Maybe both or Sony has some tech from it implemented? See how they where the only one with Vega features in the Pro.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
As i dont have twitter. Just ask rosario if he ever recalls having talked to Odium by sharing the image. That simple. After that act accordingly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Outraged?
Interesting perception
pDn1909dT6nUQ.gif

Amused is probably a better word
As i dont have twitter. Just ask rosario if he ever recalls having talked to Odium by sharing the image. That simple. After that act accordingly.
Ironically you can tell just by reading the two posts.🙄

Last edited:

kyoji

Outraged about what? i simply just want the receipts, its twitter for god sake why do you need to post images? I could shop something then claim its real, but where the fakester fucked up is where he made the 3rd image. Its a reponse to someones tweet not a dm and the source for that image does not even exist when you trace it back to the people talking.

But keep drinking the kool aid and ignoring all my posts, im out. not even sure how this thread is still going, and noone can provide any real proof of source tweets but there is proof that at the very least one of the images is fake.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Self generated. lol.

Was the overheating PS5 rumors self generated?
What about the PS5 Pro overheating bs that was created by some fanboy?

Lets not forget how many times Xbox fanboys on here called Mark Cerny a liar because they wanted to believe in the old Github test leaks.

Defending fanboys spreading misinformation is dumb.

Nickolaidas

Dont you know only rdna2 games count as next gen?
Sony has none by the looks of it. All games including horizon 2 were running on xsx and will be down ported to the much weaker ps5 and sold as fake next gen with fake 4k and sub 20 fps.

Only xsx can produce true next gen games.
Hellblade 2 and the medium already shit on everything ps5 has to offer.

Only xbox brand is capable to run far cry 6 at true 4k.
Ps5 already way behind.

Now we know why.

Sony mark cerny was lying as always.

Did i mention sony censorship? Total deal breaker.

Oh and the ssd hahaha like that will do anything.

Facts are facts.

Sony is shit. Xbox is king .

Good luck buying an outdated console at 500 when the xsx will be 400 and lockhart max 299 but all rumors point at 199

Also you can say good bye to your back log disc collection or any free upgrade of cross gen games if you are poor enough to buy the digital only version and for the same price.

What a rip off.

Have you seen scorn?? Only possible on xsx.

Ps5 could never play it at such resolution

Right. The point is that the game's best version will be on PC.
It's like you literally have to take a 'PC Master Race' dump on a console spec thread.

Not good for Sony.

They got complacent and cocky. It's gonna be another PS3/360 situation...let's hope Sony has the games to back it up.

I'm not getting a PS5.

That's the best idea, imo. You shouldn't choose a console based on trailers, screenshots, reviews and hands-on, but rather on twitter posts.

Last edited:

onesvenus

FOR FUCKS SAKE there is no machine learning in Tesla gaming GPUs and there won't be any in Ampere (gaming) GPUs either.
DLSS machine LEARNING happens at NVidia datacenters, results from that is then embedded, on per game basis, into driver.
Training happens at Nvidia datacenters. Inference, which is also part of machine learning, is done on the Tensor Cores some GPUs have, not on the CPU.

llien

Inference, which is also part of machine learning, is done on the Tensor Cores
It doesn't have to and we don't even know if it does even for Tesla's.
Titan XP was notably beating tensor core equipped Volta in ML benchmarks.
It heavily depends on the type of the load, massively parallel GPUs are already well positioned to crunch that sort of the workload.

Uh, and remind me the difference between that "learning" and "training" pretty please.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Marketing and business deals are powerful, and if rumors are true of a 2019 launch and a redesign it could be based on Navi1 first, and expanded to navi2, but I am sure that Sony picked stuff that would do the trick for them .
And how big is the difference anyway between Navi1 and 2. So when is something Navi1 or 2 is hard to tell .But it would explain some difference between the Series X and PS5.

Jtibh

Banned

It's like you literally have to take a 'PC Master Race' dump on a console spec thread.

That's the best idea, imo. You shouldn't choose a console based on trailers, screenshots, reviews and hands-on, but rather on twitter posts.

You clearly cant tell what a joke post is cant you?

Nickolaidas

You clearly cant tell what a joke post is cant you?
My apologies. It's just that there are people who actually believe and say what you said, it's sometimes difficult to make out what's /s and what's not.

Internet and all.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Marketing and business deals are powerful, and if rumors are true of a 2019 launch and a redesign it could be based on Navi1 first, and expanded to navi2, but I am sure that Sony picked stuff that would do the trick for them .
And how big is the difference anyway between Navi1 and 2. So when is something Navi1 or 2 is hard to tell .But it would explain some difference between the Series X and PS5.
They are trying to imply that PS5 will have the efficiency of RDNA1.... which is patently false, as it was outlined to have RDNA2 performance. Where it differs from RDNA2 is the features, which we know nothing about really...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Imagine believing fake fud from xbox era discord instead of cerny and amd and Lisa su. PS5 is Rdna2 until cerny or Lisa su or amd says otherwise And not a fake PM created by xbox era discord

Your obsession is weird.

It’s also funny how easily you’ll believe a “faked” DM but I guess you couldn’t possibly accept how easy it is to fake Discord posts?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Both fake? Both real?

Exactly.

That's the point. People like to pick and choose when it suits them.

I mean, even this thread, who gives a flying fuck if it is RDNA 1.5? It's literally going to make zero difference to anything. It won't affect the consoles price. It won't affect how it sells, it won't even affect how the games look. It's almost completely and utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Yet look at the reactions.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Exactly.

That's the point. People like to pick and choose when it suits them.

I mean, even this thread, who gives a flying fuck if it is RDNA 1.5? It's literally going to make zero difference to anything. It won't affect the consoles price. It won't affect how it sells, it won't even affect how the games look. It's almost completely and utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Yet look at the reactions.

Because it is console war fodder, trying an angle that draws easy to sell difficult to dispel FUD. Same reason these ambulance chasers/tabloid posters are hounding developers trying to get quotes. Then again, some of the posters in that Discord post here too and can talk more about what is being screenshotted there.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
It's a known fact that AMD worked very close with Sony on Navi (RDNA1), Lisa Su even took some workforce from Raja Kouduri from Vega development, so they could advance development of Navi, while it's rumored that RDNA2 was developed closely with MS and some features have been developed specifically due to MS' request. So it's quite possible that RDNA1 cores evolved into RDNA2 some time into the development, while the extra features are indeed present only in XBX (VRS, Mesh Shading, ML). Think about it as 1660/Ti vs RTX cards - at it's core it's still the very same Turing GPU/cores, but lacks RT and DLSS features.

Top Bottom