• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSP Viral Marketrs caught REd-handed

Tellaerin said:
I replied the way I did because I saw this exchange beween you and GhaleonEB that boiled down to 'everyone says MS does this too, but I don't see it', and sandwiched in the middle was my post on the subject, which seemed to be getting overlooked. I wasn't sure if that was accidental or by design, so I got a little irked. :)

As far as just what the MGS group has done in this department compared with the rest of the company, I couldn't tell you - I haven't been looking. But since Sony detractors are ready to invoke the spectre of 'David Manning', and don't draw any distinction between the actions of Sony Pictures and the conglomerate as a whole, then it shouldn't matter for MS either, should it? Fair's fair. That's all I'm getting at.

hah.. high five on that for sure. yeh i definitely don't mean to paint some picture of MS as this wonderful corporation or anything of the sort. I was merely replying to the numerous unsupported accusations. if someone is going to call someone on something then they should throw up the supporting as well. But i limited my comments to MGS for good reasons. MS as a corporation has definitely been involved in some epic shit through the past. However, i've always observed the MGS approach to be mroe of a sponsored bloggers and well publicized viral events such as ilovebees. I'd actually liket o know if there is a case such as this that has come up and i have missed.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Tellaerin said:
It's not like Sony's the only company to resort to shilling and astroturfing. MS is definitely no slouch in that department. (My all-time fave is probably still the astroturf campaign that had dead people writing in to support MS.) Nintendo's the only hardware manufacturer that doesn't seem to have a history of incidents like this (as far as I can find, anyway), though I couldn't tell you whether that means that they're cleaner than the competition or they've just been better at not getting caught. Between all the FUD and campaigns like this, it's gotten to the point where you pretty much can't trust anything you read on the net anymore.

That said, I have to agree that this campaign is particularly bad. It's not the fact that it was done that I find insulting, but that it was done so poorly. Even if this campaign hadn't been outed for what it was, the feebleness of it would have probably been enough to further blunt consumer interest.

Sony really ought to just spend the next year or so getting back to basics. No confrontational advertising, no shilling or astroturfing, no stupid statements from the top brass for the media to have a field day with. Just hire an agency to produce some straightforward ads that'll get people excited about their gaming products (without the halfassed attempts at generating controversy - the PSP ad with the black and white model comes to mind), avoid making direct comparisons to the competition (because in the current climate, critics will find some way to make them backfire), and have your execs take a page from the Perrin Kaplan school of interviews. If they take an approach like that, they might be able to defuse some of the animosity that seems to be building towards them of late.

you're hired! oh wait...

Senretsu

LOL :lol. Reminds me of Weird Al's White 'n dirty video.

I'm crying on the inside, pathetic! Faith in the human race declining :(

MaestroRyan said:
Man, this is friggin stupid. Just think about it, those rich sony bastards are pissing away money on this sucky shit. Everybody knows what they Are doing, but they keep on putting up this crap online anyway. Damn it, I'm glad I don't like Sony right about now. You guys can't possibly buy stuff like this, right?

MaestroRyan said:
buy EA products

i see what you did there

Matix

jarosh said:
peeasspee.gif

FTFW :lol :lol !!

D-X

Look we should do what Charlie says:

YO stop SPammin my BLOG... da psp is pwn, if u cant feel da flow then step off hatas

steP oFF GAF fuXerS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nozi

Banned
typhonsentra said:
The comments on the youtube videos are almost as good as the actual video.... almost.

lol @ some zipatoni rep deleting the comments, I guess he just gave up in the end, or got fired.

Dragmire

Maybe this is really viral marketing from Nintendo to bring PSP down. Very clever way to improve lagging sales, Nintendo. You got us again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marconelly said:
Either that, or a legit campaign where it's supposed to be immediately clear that it's not genuine. That "This is not an ad" ad makes it pretty transparent without even bothering to check DNS.
You're not supposed to think about this - you were told it's Sony - no matter what happened, that makes it equivalent to you and your family getting killed,raped&pillaged repeatedly, you're supposed to be outraged not trying to be rational or laugh about it.

Shogmaster said:
Microsoft employees are too stupid to do viral marketing since they keep letting us know that they work for Microsoft. ;)
Actually no, because Microsoft sends all their stupid people to work in software engineering(and a few of them they apparently send to work for Sony) - what little remains is used as marketting.

metroid23

Check his fresh (and mad clowny) rhymes and old-school beats.

This sort of BS just makes me cringe. Because you know some 40 year old suit came up with it and thought it was the best thing ever. :(

Piper Az

Reading the posts at that website made me wonder "when did all this hate for Sony develop?"

I remember when PSX first came out, almost everyone loved it...now the feelings are pretty polarized. Was it the downfall of DC? Xbox? What really started it?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
:lol Sony's campaigns are usually so slick as well. Anyway it might not sell many/any PSPs but it got everyone talking about them :lol

Blame!

Piper Az said:
Reading the posts at that website made me wonder "when did all this hate for Sony develop?"

I remember when PSX first came out, almost everyone loved it...now the feelings are pretty polarized. Was it the downfall of DC? Xbox? What really started it?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER pretty much.

D-X

Piper Az said:

Arrogance, treating Europe like crap and killing Lik-Sang

67.jpg

Oh and DC

«þ»

You all is haters tymes 4. Dis is lee-git. Don't know why youse thinks this is a schill. Are site was registered through an external provider. We don't work for sony. And for all you dissin' my skillz I'm down for a one on one rap off or settling it street stylez if you feel me playa. Teh.
I own a Nintendo DS and I love it. I would still like a PSP for shizzle. But the DS is just as solid.
Comment By cousinpete At 12/11/2006 7:21 PM

lol, probably fake though

How exactly has Sony been arrogant? Is this about the comment about how they'd be able to sell a few million no matter thwat happens? Hasn't Microsoft said something similar? Doesn't Neogaf believe it's true anyway?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
:lol oh man I'm crying here. We finally found something the SDF won't even defend. Bravo Sony PR, this is your crowning achievment.

Jenga

Banned
typhonsentra said:
How exactly has Sony been arrogant? Is this about the comment about how they'd be able to sell a few million no matter thwat happens? Hasn't Microsoft said something similar? Doesn't Neogaf believe it's true anyway?
:lol :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

typhonsentra said:
Do we really need to have this discussion? There are TONS of quotes from Sony execs that ooze arrogance. ("the HD era doesn't begin until we hit the market" pops to mind - nicely ironic given the scaling issues out there) But I'm going to go out on a limb and say most giant corporations exhibit some level of arrogance. Sony's is just steeped in irony given the botched launch right now.

Tellaerin

Musashi Wins! said:
you're hired! oh wait...

I'm not sure I'm taking that correctly, so rather than jumping to conclusions and possibly putting a foot in my mouth, I'm going to ask you to spell it out for me before I respond.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
typhonsentra said:

:lol :lol Denial!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Zilch said:
So wait, how did the SA posters figure it out? I want details!
SA has the most amazing internet detectives like you wouldn't believe.

Here's the thread where it was uncovered, but I'm not sure if non-members can view it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=319545186

Basically, internet detectives found out that the company who created it was:

zippsp.png

It just snowballed from there.

One instance was:

Is it just me or does this "I am Zipatoni" guy:

untitled.JPG

Look like "Tomiwa" on the site?

Yeah, they are the same guy, look at the nose. That's too funny.

viralproof.jpg

Right now @ SA its "national no probation day".

Lowtax made the decree,
That's correct, starting right now and lasting until midnight (CST) on Tuesday, December the 12th of 2006, all mods and admins will absolutely refrain from putting ANYBODY on probation for ANY REASON WHATSOEVER!!! That's correct, no matter what you do or post, we will absolutely not put you on probation for it! Finally, everybody will have a chance to post anything that crosses their mind, no matter how insipid, content-free, or against the rules, without the fear of being put on probation!

I feel completely eliminating probation for a couple days will cure a lot of the fundamental problems plaguing these forums lately, and will directly lead to a better and more comfortable posting atmosphere. This idea is based off my experience running these forums for nearly seven years.

So guys, let your posting inhibitions go crazy today and Tuesday and don't matter about what you post or where you post it, because there's absolutely no way you'll be put on probation for it! Finally, a time with complete and utter freedom from the tyrannical punishment of probation! Celebrate wherever and however you like, and don't worry about temporarily not being able to post!

(( Enormous gap of space ))

BECAUSE WE WILL ****ING BAN EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVEN SLIGHTLY BREAKING THE RULES INSTEAD OF PUTTING THEM ON PROBATION.

So yeah, there might be a lot of banned people in that Sony: Exposed thread a bit later :lol

KevMurda

I want to know the Exec at Sony that saw these videos and said "Yes this is what we wanted. This will move units. Well played you magnificent man you."

Top Bottom