• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSP Viral Marketrs caught REd-handed

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Jenga said:
:lol :lol :lol

They better for 10 bux and ads.
You can get rid of the ads ;)

Its well worth the $10. Far better purchase than the cost for IGN Insider.

And I could go on and on about the various stories of SA's Sherlocks but that's OT.

Anyway, if anyone actually buys into these ads I might cry. They're so badly done I don't know how someone could seriously put their stamp of approval on them.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Sony's past PSP marketing endeavors haven't exactly worked out too well either if we will recall:

gangs.jpg

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
And I'm quite enjoying MGS: PO too... :p

Damn is the PSP cursed or something? What's wrong with this handheld?

Zeed

Banned
typhonsentra said:
How exactly has Sony been arrogant? Is this about the comment about how they'd be able to sell a few million no matter thwat happens? Hasn't Microsoft said something similar? Doesn't Neogaf believe it's true anyway?
Hey guys I think I found another viral marketer.

Maridia

chespace said:
And I'm quite enjoying MGS: PO too... :p

Damn is the PSP cursed or something? What's wrong with this handheld?

The worst part is that these were made with money that could have gone toward helping Konami market MGS.

Joe Molotov

Maridia said:
The worst part is that these were made with money that could have gone toward helping Konami market MGS.

But why use the direct approach and actually market games when you could spend lots of money to try and trick people into thinking that they want a PSP?

Tellaerin

Joe Molotov said:
But why use the direct approach and actually market games when you could spend lots of money to try and trick people into thinking that they want a PSP?

Welcome to the wonderful world of advertising. The goal of companies nowadays seems to be to create a product, then spend exorbitant amounts of money to convince people that they need it. :p The 'identify a need, then create a product to satisfy it' approach has apparently become passe.

(And yes, I know that not everything's like that. I'm just feeling more cranky and cynical tonight than usual. :p )

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
If anything Sony is late to the party. MS has been doing this for a while on forums and youtube. Glad to see Sony in the viral marketing bandwagon.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
TheProfessor said:
If anything Sony is late to the party. MS has been doing this for a while on forums and youtube. Glad to see Sony in the viral marketing bandwagon.
Have the MS attempts been this blatantly inane and downright stupid like this one?

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
They took out all the comments sections, got rid of the videos, then put an official message on the blog:

Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP.

Sony Computer Entertainment America

Ouch.

D-X

They fessed up
http://www.alliwantforxmasisapsp.com/blog/

Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP.

Sony Computer Entertainment America"

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amused that something awful does this

Considering they wanted us to buy a portable system that gets 4 hours of battery life and runs ports of PS1 games poorly and has shit for frame rates, all while costing more than the competition and using a proprietary media format that they wanted to sell us movies on, I'd say "forgets-to-breathe-dumb" is about their target market.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
D-X said:
Damn you Sugaki - up to a whole 59 seconds faster than me!

I win the internets!

Or as Charlie from allofmystupidviralpsp.com would say, "Yo, werd up I beatz y'alls in keepin it fer realz!!!1"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP.

well, you've got to start somewhere haven't you? ;)
first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ;)

I'm being serious, there have been a few arrogant comments they've made, namely the recent dismissal of Wii sales as a novelty purchase and calling the 360 "Xbox 1.5", but when people use it to describe charging $600 for a machine that costs them $900 to manufacture I'm left scratching my head. Even if they had a normal DVD drive, wouldn't they be taking a loss on the thing?

typhonsentra said:
I'm being serious, there have been a few arrogant comments they've made, namely the recent dismissal of Wii sales as a novelty purchase and calling the 360 "Xbox 1.5", but when people use it to describe charging $600 for a machine that costs them $900 to manufacture I'm left scratching my head. Even if they had a normal DVD drive, wouldn't they be taking a loss on the thing?

you should probably eat ramen and get a second job, what with the true hd era finally arriving
not available on many HD sets

Rocked

By the way, were the original posts from the site's "owners" defending it posted?

Charlie said:
"we be just tryin to represent u guys... regular playas just tryin to get their gaem on, but now u gotta do all be dis then... u guys are noubs, pwnd!!"

cousinpete said:
"You all is haters tymes 4. Dis is lee-git. Don't know why youse thinks this is a schill. Are site was registered through an external provider. We don't work for sony. And for all you dissin' my skillz I'm down for a one on one rap off or settling it street stylez if you feel me playa. Teh. I own a Nintendo DS and I love it. I would still like a PSP for shizzle. But the DS is just as solid." - 'cousinpete'

:lol "I would still like a PSP for shizzle" Dear god!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Comments from the viral marketing site

Lolz, dudez. Totally awesome. 'What the elf?' Brilliant! I, like, totally printed these out for all my frenz and my 'rents. I hope they get the hintz. LOLZ! I can't believe how it's like you guys talk exactly how I do. I want to buy the same things you do because it's like you are me. I think that if we knew each other for realz we would be budz 4ever.
Comment By PSP4ME! At 12/11/2006 7:11 PM

dooodz this site is the shiznit!!!one!11 ima gettin a psp cuz its getto word to ya motha!!!one11 this site has convinced me that sony is king and that mRket1ng feerms from St. Loo boyz!! is the shiznit too!!!one11 ima totally fallin for this, please make me buy something else to fill the empty void thatiz ma liffe... help me jebus
Comment By Ima Moron At 12/12/2006 2:02 AM

End this pathertic charade now, please.

Your 'friend' Tomiwa Alabi* is known to work for zìpatoni. The other friend Jessie is shown on the zìpatoni homepage, the site is registered to zìpatoni. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS IS AN EXERCISE IN SLIMY MÄRKETING TACTICS, AND THE ONLY ATTENTION IT IS GENERATING IS A NEGATIVE IMPRESSION IN THE MINDS OF CONSUMERS.

Comment By hoo hah! At 12/12/2006 6:21 PM

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I ****ing can't believe that shit about printing out adverts and putting them in store shelf magazines! :lol :lol :lol

WTF?!

I am very happy that Sony had the decency to reply to this and apologize even if they sound really stupid doing it.

"Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP.

Sony Computer Entertainment America"

http://alliwantforxmasisapsp.com/blog/default.aspx

Furoba

Did anyone introduce viral viral marketing yet?

Failing in their viral marketing could just mean even more publicity for Sony IMO. Better negative publicity than no publicity. ;p

Top Bottom