• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

Portugeezer

Hi Guys, just a quick one regarding sell through.

AMD announced that PS4 and X1 install base was nearly 30 million as of the end of 2014. A lot of people think AMD meant 30 million shipped units between PS4 and X1 but Lisa Su, later clarified that they were talking about sales from their customers (Sony & MS) to end users (consumers).

So what AMD were actually saying is that cumulative sell through of PS4 and X1 was nearly 30m units before the end of 2014. We can say that ~18.5m units were PS4's and that an absolute maximum of 11.5m were Xbox One's.

Take Two have now released information that says sell through of PS4 and X1 has been very strong with a combined installed base of these platforms exceeding 29 million worldwide by the end of December according to IDG estimates.

So now we can narrow down that the install base is more than 29m but less than 30m assuming AMD and Take Two are using the same source.

Therefore we can say with some confidence that estimated sell through of PS4 will be around ~18.5m and estimated sell through of Xbox One will be between ~10.5m to ~11.5m.

Whilst not an exact figure for X1 it's as close as we'll get.

Close enough for now I suppose.

STEaMkb

Estimates piled upon estimates. All the way down.

Microsoft need to stop hiding behind combined shipments and release hard sales data.

Occam

It's not worth giving attention to articles like that, and frankly, you were being quite heavy handed on it despite the article.

Mea culpa, I should have let it speak for itself. I do however believe that occasionally articles like the one in question should be exposed and scrutinized, because after all this is what people who aren't in the know read and believe.

Estimates piled upon estimates. All the way down.

Microsoft need to stop hiding behind combined shipments and release hard sales data.

I fully assumed we'd hear them announce when Xbox One sold 10 million. These estimates seem like they are past that now so I'm wondering why we never heard anything? Seems like a big milestone.

Xando

I fully assumed we'd hear them announce when Xbox One sold 10 million. These estimates seem like they are past that now so I'm wondering why we never heard anything? Seems like a big milestone.
When your direct competitor announces almost double of your number you don't announce a "lower" number.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Satya confirmed 10m sold in at a briefing event on December 3rd 2015.

Sony have been very vocal in announcing sell through numbers.... because.... well PS4 is doing amazing. Usually we don't hear sell through numbers this often.
With MS we've only got sell in figures from them, 5.1m in Q1 2014, shortly exceeding 10m in November 2014, and hitting and exceeding 10m at the end of November according to the CEO.

No doubt we won't hear about MS sell in figures until another milestone for the company.

Elios83

Satya confirmed 10m sold in at a briefing event on December 3rd 2015.

Source?
Because they announced they were close to SHIP 10m in mid November.
And we're in February and they're still selling ACU bundles everywhere.
MS sold through should be around 10m at the end of 2014.

Iced Arcade

do these numbers factor in the money they made from selling off SOE? if so wonder if that was why the financial results were delayed.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's worse than we thought!

You know what I meant haha.

Source?
Because they announced they were close to SHIP 10m in mid November.
And we're in February and they're still selling ACU bundles everywhere.
MS sold through should be around 10m at the end of 2014.

Finally, our gaming business is thriving with the Xbox One hitting 10 million units sold.

Page 9 - https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...gAssets/Downloads/FY15/Microsoft_2014ASM.docx

Sell in will be somewhere between 11.5m-12.5m based on Q4 numbers from MS.

[Arstechnica]

consolewar-q42014.001-640x480.jpg

Sony extended its life-to-date sales lead in the holiday quarter, but not by as much as in previous quarters.

consolewar-q42014.003-640x480.jpg

For the first months of 2014, Sony looked like it was running away with the console market...

consolewar-q42014.002-640x480.jpg

...but Microsoft made the holiday quarter look much more competitive.

consolewar-q42014.004-640x480.jpg

Sony's sales have been a pretty straight line since launch. Microsoft's sales curl upward to match a similar pace during the holidays.

consolewar-q42014.005-640x480.jpg

Sony's share of the market isn't increasing as quickly as it once was, as Nintendo continues to bleed market share.

The rest here:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/ps4s-sales-dominance-slackens-slightly-in-holiday-quarter/
The title is kind of misleading, it makes it sounds like Sony is somehow hanging on to a lead when the gap is still widening, just not as fast and that's with MS resorting to unusually steep price cuts through extremely aggressive bundling.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The title is kind of misleading, it makes it sounds like Sony is somehow hanging on to a lead when the gap is still widening, just not as fast and that's with MS resorting to unusually steep price cuts through extremely aggressive bundling.

You should make a thread about how biased this article is.

Elios83

You know what I meant haha.

Page 9 - https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...gAssets/Downloads/FY15/Microsoft_2014ASM.docx

Sell in will be somewhere between 11.5m-12.5m based on Q4 numbers from MS.

Seems like he's talking about sold as shipped numbers. Sold through of 10m at the end of November is pretty much impossible.

Btw yes my guess is 10m sold through by the end of 2014 with 11.5m-12m shipped.
Fact is that they overshipped and Q1 shipments will reflect that for them.

Biker19

Banned
And yet the blasted system is still $200!

Damn, the PS1 and PS2 were hitting the the cheap $150-130-100 end of life cycle for impulse buying.

Know why that is? It's because of the components inside of the PS3's hardware that's the problem (especially with the cell processor).

PS1, PS2, & PS4 doesn't have anything of the sort.

Occam

Know why that is? Because of the components inside of the PS3's hardware that's the problem (especially with the cell processor).

PS1, PS2, & PS4, doesn't have anything of the sort.

Yeah, and there is little they can do to make cell processors cheaper. The technology is dead.

truth411

Seems like he's talking about sold as shipped numbers. Sold through of 10m at the end of November is pretty much impossible.

Btw yes my guess is 10m sold through by the end of 2014 with 11.5m-12m shipped.
Fact is that they overshipped and Q1 shipments will reflect that for them.

Agreed, from MS and Sony perspective shipped=sold. Just 2 weeks prior they were close to shipping 10million. Also he doesn't say they sold 10million, he says at that time they were "hitting" I.E. close to selling 10million units. I think 10-10.5 million sold through to customers is a good estimate for the installed base as of last month.

samar11

No..... I never said that.

What I said is we can come to an estimate for Xbox One sell through using the Sony 18.5m figure.

No one is suggesting 18.5m isn't an official number. It is an official number. In fact Sony said "Over 18.5m" which implies the number will be higher but obviously I don't know how much. Hence why I've just 18.5m.

Sorry dude, I just took it as now it's official and it wasn't official back when Sony said it themselves.
All good!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's a really great framing. I mean, it's true, but "dominance slackens slightly" is really nice.

There's an irony to the writer who used the phrase "don't read too much into it" 12 months ago, viewing an increase in Christmas season shipping numbers as "momentum" ... Homer Simpson and pumpkins come to mind.

Alo0oy

Banned
Come on guys, don't be too hard on Ars Techinca, we all know that the sales of the Jan-Sep period don't matter anyway since it's just the pre-season.

Top Bottom