• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserbeam

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
The PS2 funded the debt of the PS3 of course, but you'll see the PS3 getting returns and paying off that. Then of course the PS4 will come out and the cycle will start again.

I'm just saying that to say that Sony is incapable of absorbing debt to make returns later even without the PS2 is mistaken.

The PS3s launch erased every profit the PS2 ever made before it came out. Thats not a healthy cycle to start getting into.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Nicktals said:
The Wii competes for time, and money. It also happens to be a video game home console.

The Wii and the 360/PS3 took different plans to compete for these things (money, time, marketshare), but I'm not sure why you wouldn't compare them? Just because of the graphics? Really? I don't see the logic there.
The Wii is selling to a new crowd, that's what is making the ruckus isn't it? Well that new crowd are just that, new. The rest of the people will still buy a 360 or PS3 or both.

edit: It also sold well to people who had cheap PS2s, but those people will buy a cheap 360 or PS3 down the line too.

Nocebo said:
But would they want to? Sony is a corporation like you said and corporations don't like losing money. If, hypothetically, their gaming division kept losing them millions / billions on ps3 (and other systems in newer generations) without something like the ps2 and psp to balance it out then any sane corporation would cut that tumor off.

aren't they already losing money at this current price? Perhaps I got stuck in 2007

ascii42

MisterHero said:
I can't believe that 150 million people would be comfortable with a buying a $400-500 console.

Oh well.
Yeah, because of course the price isn't ever going to decrease again, ever.

Banned
TTP said:
What if Sony itself offers rebates on PS3 price to those that bring a PS2 back to the store? Even broken. o_O

I don't know. Just saying. They look too confident in the PS2 user base to switch to the PS3. They must have something in mind. Or they are totally crazy.

The others platforms could do the same rebates. I think Sony is totally crazy. They really dropped the ball removing BC. No reason for PS2 users to pick the PS3 over Wii or 360. Just plain stupid of Sony.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kilrogg said:
Zefah, I understand your points, but I still think it's absolutely unrealistic to think that the PS3 could beat the record set by its predecessor.

The flaw in your analysis is that you seem to believe that the Wii and the PS3 evolve on two different markets, and that the two can coexist peacefully and be successful. But it's not how things work. When people say that the PS2 won because of its games, it does not only mean "quality" or "diversity" in hardcore gamers' term. Although it is highly debatable that the PS1 and 2 made gaming mainstream (I don't think so), one thing's for sure: a big part of their success was due to the non-hardcore gamers, the people who bought GTA for instance, or, say, PES in Europe. You could also add Eyetoy and Singstar to the equation, I guess.

And the problem with the PS3 is that, even though it has that kind of content to an extent, you've got the Wii which completely embraced the non-hardcore gamers, and the 360 which is beginning to play on games that made the PS2 successful in the first place.

The competition is too fierce to have 2 systems sell 150M+ units. At this point, only the Wii can beat the PS2's record. The PS3 is too handicapped to reach that level of success.

Now, if we were talking about the PS3 sales compared with the 360's, that would be trickier. I sincerely don't know which of those systems will reach 2nd place in the end.

The gaming industry is totally different than previous generations. We have two highly successful handheld systems that are seeing big and important releases. This simply did not happen in the past. We have two powerful consoles that are fairly similar and one (comparatively) extremely underpowered system with a new control system and a "casual / mass appeal". We have never seen such a situation in past generations. It has always been 2-3 relatively similarly powered consoles that competed for the first spot.

I think the video games market is quite a bit different than past generations, and quite a bit larger as well. I totally think that the Wii and the PS3 / 360 can coexist. To me, and I think most "core gamers", the Wii is kind of a supplimentary system, much like a handheld. It is fun to play for its unique games, but it will never take over our 360 / PS3 as our main gaming platform.

The fact is, the games coming out on the PS3 / 360 and the Wii are, for the most part, quite a bit different. I think a lot of gamers will own a Wii and a 360 or a PS3, or even both if they can afford it. I think that as the HDTV market continues to expand, the PS3 (and 360 as well) will grow with it. Gamers who buy a big HDTV want a gaming console that can show off their new investment and the Wii actually ends up looking a lot worse when played on a big HDTV.

This generation has been full of surprises and none of us know what will happen years down the road. All we can do is speculate at this point, but I think there are good arguments for both sides of this debate.

Nocebo

BobsRevenge said:
The PS2 funded the debt of the PS3 of course, but you'll see the PS3 getting returns and paying off that. Then of course the PS4 will come out and the cycle will start again.

I'm just saying that to say that Sony is incapable of absorbing debt to make returns later even without the PS2 is mistaken.
You're absolutely right. Mircosoft is doing the same thing with xbox.

Anasui Kishibe said:
aren't they already losing money at this current price? Perhaps I got stuck in 2007
They've got to lose a fuckton of money before they turn off the money faucett for that division though. Just look at microsoft. I'm not sure they're profitable even now with xbox360 :O

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Forsete said:
You might want to check that.

I was under the impression that it sold at worse rate in both the U.S. and Japan. Not sure about YUROP tho.

Onemic

They would need to do some SERIOUS price cutting to achieve that target within their traditional 10 year console lifespan. Even then I don't think it's possible.

I would love to see someone ban bet another poster for this sales target.:lol

BobsRevenge said:
The Wii is selling to a new crowd, that's what is making the ruckus isn't it? Well that new crowd are just that, new. The rest of the people will still buy a 360 or PS3 or both.

edit: It also sold well to people who had cheap PS2s, but those people will buy a cheap 360 or PS3 down the line too.
And you're basing that on?

Nicktals

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

I think most people who own a Wii owned a previous video game system. In most cases a PS2. Sure, some are completely new, but nowhere near the majority. The only difference is that the parents would never play the family PS2. Now they maybe play the family Wii.

Why would those people buy a cheap 360 of PS3? I don't get that. They've never owned more than one system a generation, and the next generation will start in 2-3 years.

BobsRevenge

laserbeam said:
The PS3s launch erased every profit the PS2 ever made before it came out. Thats not a healthy cycle to start getting into.
No, but it's that sort of thing Sony just does. They make huge revenue and then use it to make products that cost huge. That's why their operating income is so low in comparison to their revenue.

Sadist

llTll said:
oh hey. a smart ass reply. hooray .

dude. tell you what i will make you feel better so you can sleep better tonight.

i will let you have the last reply. i wont quote you again. its useless.
No, it's really useless telling your sort of people that your opinion are a bit off. And that's putting it nicely. It's just like dealing with the Nintendo fans of last gen all over again. Sheesh.

DC R1D3R

Banned
wow..................150?

21kcvhx.jpg
21kcvhx.jpg
21kcvhx.jpg
21kcvhx.jpg

And here's me thinking Sony lost all their swagger :]

That's some BOSS talk right there! Go get em Kaz!!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Forsete said:
World Wide its kicking GameCube ass.

I'll admit, I'm not a hundred percent on the exact breakdown, but even if it doing better, I'd doubt it's 'ass kicking' worthy. Unless you mean asskicking in the same way Xbox was to GC.

BobsRevenge

Nicktals said:
I think most people who own a Wii owned a previous video game system. In most cases a PS2. Sure, some are completely new, but nowhere near the majority. The only difference is that the parents would never play the family PS2. Now they maybe play the family Wii.

Why would those people buy a cheap 360 of PS3? I don't get that. They've never owned more than one system a generation, and the next generation will start in 2-3 years.
Because the next generation will be expensive. I guess it depends on how attractive the next Wii is in comparison to a hi-def console.

ascii42

Nocebo said:
There's only so much you can reasonably decrease though. Will it be enough for the casuals?
Eventually, sure. The PS2 is taking its sweet time to get below $100 but it will eventually. Same as the PS3 will, eventually.

Nocebo

BobsRevenge said:
Because the next generation will be expensive. I guess it depends on how attractive the next Wii is in comparison to a hi-def console.
Are you saying the next wii won't be hi-def? At any rate, it seems clear the majority of people don't give a shit about hi-def gaming. Wii has almost outsold ps3 and xbox360 COMBINED.

ascii42 said:
Eventually, sure. The PS2 is taking its sweet time to get below $100 but it will eventually. Same as the PS3 will, eventually.
You think the ps3 will eventually be at 100$ or even lower?

Gaborn

Zefah said:
The gaming industry is totally different than previous generations. We have two highly successful handheld systems that are seeing big and important releases. This simply did not happen in the past. We have two powerful consoles that are fairly similar and one (comparatively) extremely underpowered system with a new control system and a "casual / mass appeal". We have never seen such a situation in past generations. It has always been 2-3 relatively similarly powered consoles that competed for the first spot.

I think the video games market is quite a bit different than past generations, and quite a bit larger as well. I totally think that the Wii and the PS3 / 360 can coexist. To me, and I think most "core gamers", the Wii is kind of a supplimentary system, much like a handheld. It is fun to play for its unique games, but it will never take over our 360 / PS3 as our main gaming platform.

The fact is, the games coming out on the PS3 / 360 and the Wii are, for the most part, quite a bit different. I think a lot of gamers will own a Wii and a 360 or a PS3, or even both if they can afford it. I think that as the HDTV market continues to expand, the PS3 (and 360 as well) will grow with it. Gamers who buy a big HDTV want a gaming console that can show off their new investment and the Wii actually ends up looking a lot worse when played on a big HDTV.

This generation has been full of surprises and none of us know what will happen years down the road. All we can do is speculate at this point, but I think there are good arguments for both sides of this debate.

Even if you're right, the fact is most of the PS2's success came at under $200 (or was it $250?) Wii is selling phenomenally well, but more importantly most people will concede that they're cornering the casual market. For most gamers price is not as significant a barrier as people think, if you want something you will get it and you will pay for it.

For a casual gamer it's often more what friends get, what you can play with other people and what's "cool" to them. They don't look at games in depth, follow them and wait in line for their release, they talk to people and get what they like. They're also MUCH more likely to be single console gamers since it's a distraction and just something to do occasionally, not as much of an obsession as it is for GAF. That's why the PS2 and PSone were so popular, they cornered the casual market and were able to appeal to them.

Essentially, the Wii is doing that already in addition to their new gamers, and that's going to impact future PS3 sales, making it a LOT harder for a casual gamer to buy a PS3 in addition to a Wii.

laserbeam

Banned
Oblivion said:
I'll admit, I'm not a hundred percent on the exact breakdown, but even if it doing better, I'd doubt it's 'ass kicking' worthy. Unless you mean asskicking in the same way Xbox was to GC.
lowered.jpg

Just remember that Wii had no price cuts yet. The very moment the PS3 gets a reasonable slash and Wii sales look affected by it (if that'll be the case, which I doubt), Wii will be 199 and game over, if there will still be one

Gaborn

Anasui Kishibe said:
Just remember that Wii had no price cuts yet. The very moment the PS3 gets a reasonable slash and Wii sales look affected by it (if that'll be the case, which I doubt), Wii will be 199 and game over, if there will still be one

Naw, Nintendo will just release a new color or two before they try a price drop. (I WILL HAVE A BLACK WII DAMMIT)

ascii42

Nocebo said:
Are you saying the next wii won't be hi-def? At any rate, it seems clear the majority of people don't give a shit about hi-def gaming. Wii has almost outsold ps3 and xbox360 COMBINED.

You think the ps3 will eventually be at 100$ or even lower?
The XBOX is the only system I can think of to never in its lifespan drop below $100, and that's because MS dropped it as soon as the 360 came out. If the PS3 has a 10 year lifespan, I can't imagine the PS3 being over $100 in 2016.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
If Blu-Ray was going to be around in 10 years then I'd say 150m would be very possible, but it won't.

Yeah sure...

Let me guess, it will be all downloads and physical media will cease to exist, right?

Nocebo

ascii42 said:
The XBOX is the only system I can think of to never in its lifespan drop below $100, and that's because MS dropped it as soon as the 360 came out. If the PS3 has a 10 year lifespan, I can't imagine the PS3 being over $100 in 2016.
When it happens will it matter? How long did it take ps2 to reach 100$? How long will it take ps3?

Nicktals

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

1. Wii 2 will probably be HD. It will also cost ~250 dollars.

2. If the next generation XBox and PS console are expensive, then won't we be right where we're at now? 150 dollar PS3, 250 dollar Wii2, 400+ PS4/720?

EDIT:

Nocebo said:
When it happens will it matter? How long did it take ps2 to reach 100$? How long will it take ps3?

The PS2 is still 130. I'm not sure the PS3 will ever reach 99.

spwolf

Opus Angelorum said:
If Blu-Ray was going to be around in 10 years then I'd say 150m would be very possible, but it won't.

forget digital distribution, you do realize that only 60% of PS3's have PSN account tied to them, let alone people buying 10 GB movies and games...

shit, around 60% of US homes have broadband.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
Well, Phil Harrison did say he'd be "amazed if the PS4 has a physical disk drive."

Yeah, Kutaragi said a lot of crazy shit too and now neither of them are with Sony.

Games are only going to get bigger next generation. The United States, in particular, is mostly stuck with cable for broadband for the forseeable future. Hell some companies are even proposing bandwidth restrictions. Good luck getting people to download 30gb+ games over a shitty cable connection.

Narcosis

This thread is full of retardation on both sides of the debate.

PS3 will not hit 150mil, it's nice of Sony to aim that high for themselves, but by the time they get the price down to a reasonable level to be "mainstream" it'll be too late, even for a "10 year cycle"

PS3 is not a failure, just because it doesn't outsell Wii doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile business venture for Sony.

As for PS3 doing worse than Gamecube, after 6 years Gamecube had sold 21 million, PS3 is now just a little over 1.5 years and at 14 million. Neither the PS3 or 360 willsell close to as low in worldwide numbers as Gamecube did.

As for all the speculation about just what the non-hardcore people think of HD consoles, Wii and how it relates to previous gen console ownership, unless all of you are doing fail-proof surveying of all these "mainstream" and "casual" game console buyers then I'd say that the people making claims on both sides of this argument are probably talking out a piece of their anatomy not located on their heads.

ascii42

Nocebo said:
As long as people still buy them, it matters. Sticking completely to hardware sales count. A PS3 sold in 2015 counts just as much as one sold today. I remember in 2004 Sony revealed that the PSone had reached 100 million. Obviously most of us weren't really thinking about the PSone very much, but it was still selling.

Gaborn

Narcosis said:
PS3 is not a failure, just because it doesn't outsell Wii doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile business venture for Sony.

I guess it depends on how you define failure, doesn't it? It's not a profitable system yet, it's in a clear 3rd place world wide, it's selling at a far, far, far slower rate than it's predecessor. Now, ultimately I think Sony should make a fair amount on the PS3, but right now, today, it's a failure.

Nicktals

Banned
spwolf said:
forget digital distribution, you do realize that only 60% of PS3's have PSN account tied to them, let alone people buying 10 GB movies and games...

shit, around 60% of US homes have broadband.

That's a good point, but I'm curious...What percentage of homes that own a PS3/360 have broadband? I'd guess that it's 85-90, but that's just a guess. Of course that doesn't affect your point, unless they also offered the games in media form (which they could...just download in a store onto a flash drive or something).

P90

M3wThr33 said:
If they plan on the 10 year plan and reduce the price consistently, yes.

And BluRay movies come way down in price, there is a small, very small chance Sony will meet its goal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
Not quite, but the majority of content will be distributed digitally.

I sincerely doubt this. I think that at best we will see digital copies of games getting released a few days / weeks behind their retails release dates. I do expect full retail games to be available for download next generation (it may even happen this gen), but I highly doubt that digital downloads will begin to replace physical media in the video games market anytime soon.

ascii42

Gaborn said:
I guess it depends on how you define failure, doesn't it? It's not a profitable system yet, it's in a clear 3rd place world wide, it's selling at a far, far, far slower rate than it's predecessor. Now, ultimately I think Sony should make a fair amount on the PS3, but right now, today, it's a failure.
This is why we are lucky that companies are not as shortsighted as we are. Otherwise they would not be so kind with pricing. Sony looks at the PS3 as a 10 year long investment. It can't be considered a failure until it has completed.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
ascii42 said:
A PS3 sold in 2015 counts just as much as one sold today. I remember in 2004 Sony revealed that the PSone had reached 100 million. Obviously most of us weren't really thinking about the PSone very much, but it was still selling.

It really doesn't. That's seven years that you weren't buying games for their console.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Zefah said:

There's no denying that the PSP has been doing significantly better lately, especially in Japan. I think that saying it's highly successful is pushing it a bit, particularly because the software doesn't do that well in comparison. However, it's the best-selling non-Nintendo handheld, I'll give you that. But saying that the PSP isn't a failure to assume that the PS3 could very well end up selling more than the BEST-SELLING SYSTEM OF ALL TIME is taking it too far.

But then, that's besides the point. First, yeah, the market is potentially bigger, mainly because of the population growth over the years. YET, you're once again assuming that the overwhelming majority of the people who bought PS1 and 2's were core gamers, which I don't think, as I argued earlier. Going by the assumption that the Wii is a supplementary system for the core gamers is still besides the point. Why? Because the reverse is not true. Most of the people who're mainly interested in the Wii are not interested in the other systems, because they don't find the things they value in the Wii in the PS3 and the 360.

Again, besides the point. You're assuming that the people who're buying HDTVs want HD systems, which is not true. The people who buy 360s and PS3s might want HDTVs, sure, but someone buying an HDTV does it because he wants an HDTV, or worse, because they just want a nice, big, flat TV. TVs and consoles are two different products whose sales are not related for most people, with the exception of tech-savvy people (I did not say geek, okay ? :D).

Actually, yes, there are people who know how this will play out. At least, the big picture. These people are those who know things about business in general, the videogame industry in particular, and know the strategies used by the three manufacturers. I'm not going to elaborate here, but Nintendo's strategy, if done properly (and, up until now, they didn't make any significant mistake, apart maybe from Wii Sports Resort... Maybe), is supposed to start with the underserved market, and then, steal the core customers little by little. We'll see how this pans out, but don't think, despite E3 08, that Nintendo will just ignore the (hard)core forever. They're the most profitable customers, because they buy the most hardware and software. They're too greedy to ignore them.

Oh, and one more thing: the gap between HD sales and Wii sales will only widen from now on, so there definitely be enough games that appeal to the hardcore somewhere down the road. Thinking otherwise is delusional at best. Remember the DS at the beginning of its life, and you'll see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom