• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

llTll

Banned
Nocebo said:
Do you have a point other than spraying brain-diarrea all over everyone? Wii is getting its fair share of the multiplatform pie, I say that while being unsure what the hell you think seperates wii from 360/ps3 though. I doubt anyone really knows.

lmao @ multi-platform pie

- they dont look the same
- they dont play the same.

what kind of multi-platform pie we are talking about here? sharing the same name of the game and around the same universe ?

or do you mean multi-platform games from the PS2/GC Era ? if that is the case, then yeah
:lol
schuelma said:
Are they in different markets or something? Is Guitar Hero Wii something fundamentally different from GH PS3? Does Guitar Hero Wii handily outselling GH PS3 not count for some reason?

Are you claiming that in Japan the Wii's success has absolutely zero impact on the other 2? Seriously?

Guitar Hero ?

seriously ? this is how you compare Wii to ps3/360 ?

no... i mean it.. for real man ????????????

i am surprised they didnt release the game on DS yet since the system can run it FINE.wtfffffffffff

laserbeam

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
nine years? By that time, Xbox 1440 will be out and people will be buying that instead

Thats the Plan E3 2015 Sony Keynote speech. The PS3 has reached 100 million Sold its so Impressive

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Anasui Kishibe said:
nine years? By that time, Xbox 1440 will be out and people will be buying that instead

Well, do you realize people are still buying PS2s?

Sadist

llTll said:
and LMFAO at you saying Wii is the same as PS3/360. what a noob
For me it is. In fact, I had more fun with it then a 360 and PS3 combined! OMG!!!11!1! I can't believe he is saying that!? How can a person be such a noob, how can he not see the power of the PS3/360! Be damned you, with your nooblike shit postings on this forum!!!

Seriously... how old are you?

Nocebo

RICH UNCLE PENNYBAGS said:
This is pretty much right. You guys are acting like it's too late for Sony to gain any foothold, but they have a large enough install base to stay afloat and possibly, in the future, make a real rally when prices dip again.
Do you understand what needs to happen for the PS3 to reach 150m in 8 years?

indie85 said:
Yeah, and PS3 isnt even near its golden period yet, starting at such a massive price, blu - ray in its infancy, it'll be another 2 years until it even starts hitting peak sales - during that period A LOT of motherf**king consoles can get sold, look at the PS2 golden period.

Like others, I'll be keeping a bookmark on this thread.

In Japan, the PS3 was priced just barely under $100 more then the PS2 cost at its launch. The PS2 sold more units in it's first month then the PS3 sold in 8 months. Again, took the PS3 8 months to sell what the PS2 sold in one.

TTP said:
Well, do you realize people are still buying PS2s?

In Japan, PS2 sales took a nose dive when the Wii came out and haven't recovered since.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nocebo said:
Do you understand what needs to happen for the PS3 to reach 150m in 8 years?

I don't think some people in this thread truly understand what it would take. It's easy to say the PS3 will start to sell better- no shit.

laserbeam

Banned
So they're buying PS2s out of the kindness of their hearts? :lol :lol :lol :lol
No but Sony is pushing the PS2 to keep it going because they need it. You could argue the PS2 is potentially pulling customers away from the PS3. Why buy a PS3 thats overpriced and undergamed when you could get a PS2 thats got a ton of games

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
laserbeam said:
Only because Sony needs the PS2 or theyd be dead in the water. PS2 is the only thing funding PS3s failure.

So what? What's wrong with having a previous generation system funding a new one?

laserbeam said:
No but Sony is pushing the PS2 to keep it going because they need it. You could argue the PS2 is potentially pulling customers away from the PS3. Why buy a PS3 thats overpriced and undergamed when you could get a PS2 thats got a ton of games
I don't see the huge PS2 ad campaign that you seem to.

Nocebo

llTll said:
lmao @ multi-platform pie

- they dont look the same
- they dont play the same.

what kind of multi-platform pie we are talking about here?
So you don't even know what games are out on multiple platforms? You should do yourself a favor and stop talking before you look like an ignorant fanchild even more.

el Diablo

Banned
laserbeam said:
Only because Sony needs the PS2 or theyd be dead in the water. PS2 is the only thing funding PS3s failure.

Let's not forget that the PSP is selling at a pretty nice clip as well. Gotta have 2 supports to stand up something as colossal as the PS3.

laserbeam said:
Those added featues will appeal to a gaming audience but the Audio Visual people wont give a shit and audio visual people were huge buyers of the PS2 for a cheap DVD player. I know people who to this day dont own a single PS2 game but bought a PS2 to play DVDs back in the day.

Contradictory statements? Audio Visual people cared about DVDs on the PS2, but won't give a shit about Blu-Rays on the PS3? HDTV owners, and even causals, will care about the inclusion of Blu-Ray once the Blu-Ray brand expands over the coming years. It's something that, if I haven't purchased a next-gen system yet and compare the two, could have my decision hinged on it.

el Diablo said:
Let's not forget that the PSP is selling at a pretty nice clip as well. Gotta have 2 supports to stand up something as colossal as the PS3.
Well, if the PS3 turns a profit long-term, what does it matter?

e: And even if it didn't Sony could eat it.

spwolf

schuelma said:
I don't think some people in this thread truly understand what it would take. It's easy to say the PS3 will start to sell better- no shit.

its quite easy... 199. 149. 99.

At those prices, PS3 will be fuking great deal, even in 2014.

llTll

Banned
Sadist said:
For me it is. In fact, I had more fun with it then a 360 and PS3 combined! OMG!!!11!1! I can't believe he is saying that!? How can a person be such a noob, how can he not see the power of the PS3/360! Be damned you, with your nooblike shit postings on this forum!!!

Seriously... how old are you?

As i have said before but you didnt read because you felt i am hurting your lil Wii system, you having more fun with the system does NOT give you the right to compare 8 years old technology in a 200$ system called WII to the friggin PS3/360.

did i hit a nerve in you man ? here is a net tissue. stop crying

Edit: 8 years. not 14 . was thinking of N64 for some reason :p

laserbeam

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Contradictory statements? Audio Visual people cared about DVDs on the PS2, but won't give a shit about Blu-Rays on the PS3? HDTV owners, and even causals, will care about the inclusion of Blu-Ray once the Blu-Ray brand expands over the coming years. It's something that, if I haven't purchased a next-gen system yet and compare the two, could have my decision hinged on it.

The point is cheaper blu-ray drives will sell faster to the audio visual crowd then the PS3 will when Blu ray even matters. At this point bluray is nothing more then a niche

Nocebo

I think that's probably overshooting it, maybe, but I'm not as pessimistic as other posters in this thread.
Isn't that what this topic is about though? 150m in 8 years? Or are people moving the goalposts again? :lol

Generally speaking: I know it's hard to stay on topic for 99% of the people on a forum, especially when cold hard facts slap you in the face.

Truespeed

Anasui Kishibe said:
just look at those Sony fanboys who've quickly adopted Nintendo's trademark speech "We're not competing with..not in the same market.." just because their console is in third place.

amazing. I'm really enjoying this hilarious bullshit since 2007

Likewise, welcome to second place. As for the Xbox 1440, don't be so quick to think that people will begin a mass migration just because Microsoft releases a new console. This ain't Windows.

Nocebo said:
Isn't that what this topic is about though? 150m in 8 years? Or are people moving the goalposts again? :lol

Generally speaking: I know it's hard to stay on topic for 99% of the people on a forum, especially when cold hard facts slap you in the face.
Well I think I was originally responding to the idea that the Playstation brand was "destroyed"

ascii42

llTll said:
As i have said before but you didnt read because you felt i am hurting your lil Wii system, you having more fun with the system does NOT give you the right to compare 14 years old technology in a 200$ system called WII to the friggin PS3/360.

did i hit a nerv on you man ? here is a net tissue. stop crying
14 year old technology? Even the GameCube is only 7 years old.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
laserbeam said:

Why buy a refrigerator that is empty when you could get one that's full of food

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
laserbeam said:
Sony is a massive corporation. One of the largest in the world. They can absorb any PS3 debt even without the PS2, it'd just take away from other Sony endeavors.

Also, on the Blu-Ray thing, Blu-Ray has already sold a lot of PS3s and it will continue to with companies like Best Buy pushing them out along with HDTVs.

laserbeam said:
The point is cheaper blu-ray drives will sell faster to the audio visual crowd then the PS3 will when Blu ray even matters. At this point bluray is nothing more then a niche

Not necessarily. Cheaper Blu-Ray drives already exist on the market, yet the Playstation 3 easily outsells all the collective Blu-Ray player sales COMBINED. Cheaper DVD players existed during the PS2 era. It has nothing to do with some arbitrary price, but the value of the PS3 over the stand alone players. For a little extra, you get a whole lot more: videogame system + future proof Blu-Ray player with a lot of media center capabilities. That's a hard value to beat.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Zefah, I understand your points, but I still think it's absolutely unrealistic to think that the PS3 could beat the record set by its predecessor.

The flaw in your analysis is that you seem to believe that the Wii and the PS3 evolve on two different markets, and that the two can coexist peacefully and be successful. But it's not how things work. When people say that the PS2 won because of its games, it does not only mean "quality" or "diversity" in hardcore gamers' term. Although it is highly debatable that the PS1 and 2 made gaming mainstream (I don't think so), one thing's for sure: a big part of their success was due to the non-hardcore gamers, the people who bought GTA for instance, or, say, PES in Europe. You could also add Eyetoy and Singstar to the equation, I guess.

And the problem with the PS3 is that, even though it has that kind of content to an extent, you've got the Wii which completely embraced the non-hardcore gamers, and the 360 which is beginning to play on games that made the PS2 successful in the first place.

The competition is too fierce to have 2 systems sell 150M+ units. At this point, only the Wii can beat the PS2's record. The PS3 is too handicapped to reach that level of success.

Now, if we were talking about the PS3 sales compared with the 360's, that would be trickier. I sincerely don't know which of those systems will reach 2nd place in the end.

Grecco

llTll said:
wtf people cant read anymore?

Can you? The DS and the PSP have significant differences in hardare just like the wii and the 360 but you have no problems putting the handhelds together but seem insulted that "14" year old tech is comapred to the other systems

like i said you have no idea what your talking about.

oh and the Gamecube came out in 2001

Sadist

llTll said:
As i have said before but you didnt read because you felt i am hurting your lil Wii system, you having more fun with the system does NOT give you the right to compare 14 years old technology in a 200$ system called WII to the friggin PS3/360.

did i hit a nerv in you man ? here is a net tissue. stop crying
And who made you king of deciding if the Wii is not in the same league as the PS3/360?

Oh. I think it's rather childish to call somebody a "noob" just because the person who you are not agreeing with has a different opinion. Oh wait, this is GAF. I forgot :lol

Nicktals

Banned
llTll said:
As i have said before but you didnt read because you felt i am hurting your lil Wii system, you having more fun with the system does NOT give you the right to compare 8 years old technology in a 200$ system called WII to the friggin PS3/360.

did i hit a nerve in you man ? here is a net tissue. stop crying

Edit: 8 years. not 14 . was thinking of N64 for some reason :p

The Wii competes for time, and money. It also happens to be a video game home console.

The Wii and the 360/PS3 took different plans to compete for these things (money, time, marketshare), but I'm not sure why you wouldn't compare them? Just because of the graphics? Really? I don't see the logic there.

llTll

Banned
Sadist said:
And who made you king of deciding if the Wii is not in the same league as the PS3/360?

Oh. I think it's rather childish to call somebody a "noob" just because the person who you are not agreeing with has a different opinion. Oh wait, this is GAF. I forgot :lol

oh hey. a smart ass reply. hooray .

dude. tell you what i will make you feel better so you can sleep better tonight.

i will let you have the last reply. i wont quote you again. its useless.

Nocebo

BobsRevenge said:
Sony is a massive corporation. One of the largest in the world. They can absorb any PS3 debt even without the PS2, it'd just take away from other Sony endeavors.
But would they want to? Sony is a corporation like you said and corporations don't like losing money. If, hypothetically, their gaming division kept losing them millions / billions on ps3 (and other systems in newer generations) without something like the ps2 and psp to balance it out then any sane corporation would cut that tumor off.

BobsRevenge

felipeko said:
Most people don't have a clue when buying a console... So they will just look and see what console most people around them have, because you know, more people having the same console should mean that the console has a better value (word of mouth). It's kinda like go with the flow, that's what most people do when plan to buy a console. Wii is the console for those people now, and PlayStation consoles do not have this appeal anymore. Once you lose this appeal, is very hard to get it again, maybe next gen.
That depends on who is buying the console. The PS3 has very good word of mouth when it comes to people getting into hi-def. As I said, companies like Best Buy push customers to buy PS3s with their HDTV. Haven't you seen the big PS3 Blu-Ray setups they have? It's just good business for them. They sell more blu-rays and shit too.

I'd say once the PS3 gets down to $200 you'll really see it sell huge numbers. That's gonna be like, 2 or 3 years down the road probably. Of course the PS4 will probably be out in another 3 or 4 years also.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So people are expecting a console that's selling at a worse rate than Gamecube to come around and not only meet, but EXCEED the sales of the best selling console in history, just because Sony says they will. Just another entertaining day at GAF.

Gaborn

llTll said:

:lol :lol :lol so... you're butt-hurt that your PS3 is losing to a system named Wii? get over yourself.

20070326.jpg

Nocebo

llTll said:
oh hey. a smart ass reply. hooray .

dude. tell you what i will make you feel better so you can sleep better tonight.

i will let you have the last reply. i wont quote you again. its useless.
Do you really not know what multiplatform titles are on all 3 systems? Seriously, it's like you never visited a sales thread before. That would explain a lot tho.

BobsRevenge

Nocebo said:
But would they want to? Sony is a corporation like you said and corporations don't like losing money. If, hypothetically, their gaming division kept losing them millions / billions on ps3 without something like the ps2 to balance it out then any sane corporation would cut that tumor off.
The PS2 funded the debt of the PS3 of course, but you'll see the PS3 getting returns and paying off that. Then of course the PS4 will come out and the cycle will start again.

I'm just saying that to say that Sony is incapable of absorbing debt to make returns later even without the PS2 is mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom