• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserbeam

Banned
Cool Hand Luke said:
Without third party exclusives, prica advantage over 360 and with Nintendo selling gangbusters that's very hard to believe. The market would almost have to triple from last gen.

Not really. Sony just needs to make a bunch of revisions to their hardware making it smaller etc. The PS2 didnt sell to 130+ million Unique buyers. I think its safe to to say the Actual size of the Gaming Demographic was closer to 70-80 million people.

TAJ said:
Note that I said "consoles" and not "console". 360 doesn't have a waggle wand.
It's still, what, ~$300-$500?

Tobor said:
So I don't need to waste any more time discussing this with you then. Got it.
It was a reference to the Chad Warren video. Forgive me for trying to inject some levity into this conversation.

Xyphie

Private Hoffman said:
Once the PS3 reaches mainstream prices, I really do see it taking off.

I honestly doubt the PS3 will ever reach a PS2 price level unless Sony is willing to make a loss on hardware sales even late in its life cycle. It just has too many expensive components (such as a standard hard drive) in it.

RICH UNCLE PENNYBAGS said:
Yeah but lots of price-conscious gamers ain't trying to play their games with no dildo. :lol

4zt9n8.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
felipeko said:
Are you living under a rock?

Are you saying that the Playstation name is not huge just because Nintendo has dominated the sales charts for the last year or two? Sony dominated the sales charts for like 12 years before that. Pretty much anyone who has played a video game knows "Nintendo" and "Playstation".

I think this goal is entirely feasible. SDTVs are barely even being sold anymore, and once non-digital / high-definition broadcasts begin to end around the world around 2010 and beyond, a lot of people will start picking up HDTVs, especially as the prices continue to drop. Blu-Ray sales will also eventually pick up because people will want to watch higher definition movies on their new HDTVs. The Playstation 3 will also continue to drop in price and once it reaches the $249 - $299 level I think sales will begin to pick up dramatically. A lot of big-name games will finally be coming out this year and in 2009 and I think you will see a lot more people interested in picking up the console.

I know this is all speculation, but I think it is totally realistic. I personally plan on picking up a PS3 some time this year, and I have a lot of friends who have been holding off on getting a PS3 until the price drops or a certain game is released. Sony really needs to make the system appear more accessible and drop the multiple SKUs because that stuff is just confusing to the average consumer. They need to market a single SKU and stress what the system can do in simple terms so it doesn't look like a intimidating and confusing high-end computer system.

llTll

Banned
Cool Hand Luke said:
Without third party exclusives, no price advantage over 360 and with Nintendo selling gangbusters that's very hard to believe. The market would almost have to triple from last gen for that to happen.

leave nintendo out of this and i will agree with you .

Wii isnt doesnt even get the same games PS3/360 get. its REALLY not a console like PS3/360. and it will never be.

and if anyone compare the Wii to the PS3 and 360 is honestly nothing but retard.

There is PSP/DS . there is PS3/360. and there is a Wii.

just because u plug it on TV doesnt mean its like PS3 and 360

Tobor

It was a reference to the Chad Warren video. Forgive me for trying to inject some levity into this conversation.

My apologies then, I didn't get the reference.

llTll said:

Wii isnt doesnt even get the same games PS3/360 get. its REALLY not a console like PS3/360. and it will never be.

and if anyone compare the Wii to the PS3 and 360 is honestly nothing but retard.

What is getting into you clownshoes today?

Koomaster

Reminds me of the 50Million Gamecubes by 2005 quote from Nintendo. Sony is going to extremes if they are copying even Nintendo's PR from last gen.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

The only SKUs that matter are $280 and $300. (arcade and 20GB) The only thing I remember from Chad Warden is, "$600 ain't shit to Chad Warden.".

ZeoVGM

Banned
I know people are arguing about something in this thread, but no one in here actually thinks there's even a slight chance that this is possible right?

Just making sure no one's insane.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ascii42 said:
Okay, then I find it reasonable not to completely ignore the couple hundred thousand people per month who are just now becoming PS2 owners, and having just finally gotten around to purchasing a $129 system, are not looking to upgrade to a system that costs roughly twice as much anytime soon.

Ok, but I find it entirely more likely that those people, who are obviously price conscious and don't care all that much about graphics, are far far more likely to end up getting a Wii than a PS3.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
omg rite said:
I know people are arguing about something in this thread, but no one in here actually thinks there's even a slight chance that this is possible right?

Just making sure no one's insane.

You didn't make it to the second post, eh? Yeah, there are people who believe this could happen, as amazing as that is.

TAJ said:
The only SKUs that matter are $280 and $300. (arcade and 20GB) The only thing I remember from Chad Warden is, "$600 ain't shit to Chad Warden.".
Maybe so, but there are still undecided gamers and the popular perception still exists that the PS3 is far more powerful than the 360 among people who don't play a lot of games. Sony hasn't got it locked up but the market isn't dry either.

Sadist

llTll said:

:lol :lol :lol

Then I'm damn curious what I've been playing the last 1.5 years :lol

indie85

Banned
damn, alot of people like to throw alot of :lol without thinking. 9 years can sell alot of consoles, its not unrealistic at all to set targets of a 100million+ over that time period.

Dali

TAJ said:
You didn't make it to the second post, eh? Yeah, there are people who believe this could happen, as amazing as that is.
I thought they were just playing devil's advocate. Like omg rite said, no one really believes this will happen, right?

schuelma

Dali said:
I thought they were just playing devil's advocate. Like OMG Rite said, no one really believes this will happen, right?

Apparently some do.

It's amazing what one decent NPD month can do

llTll

Banned
Sadist said:
:lol :lol :lol

Then I'm damn curious what I've been playing the last 1.5 years :lol

you have been playing a gaming system :lol

honestly, Wii is nice system. i like it. but its not fair to compare it to higher end systems like PS3 and 360. you cant compare the Wii sales to PS3/360 just like how you dont compare PSP/DS sales to PS3/360.

Wii might be your fav system. and its all fine.

but if i ever was a nintendo fanboy, i cant come here and say " oh but my loved nintendo Wii console is kicking ur PS3/360 ass. "

do you understand the point i am trying to make?

Cool Hand Luke said:
Without third party exclusives, no price advantage over 360 and with Nintendo selling gangbusters that's very hard to believe. The market would have to double from last gen for that to happen.

They have beefed up 1st party studios.

They don't have a price advantage over anyone, but what they do have is a value advantage which will begin to show its head once PS3 and 360 are priced more similarly in the long term.

Nintendo selling gangbusters now does not prevent Sony from selling gangbusters in the future.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
indie85 said:
damn, alot of people like to throw alot of :lol without thinking. 9 years can sell alot of consoles, its not unrealistic at all to set targets of a 100million+ over that time period.

Well, the first mistake is assuming PS3 will last 9 years to begin with.

laserbeam

Banned
indie85 said:

They are down to 7 years to sell 135+ million consoles. he didnt say 9 years from now. he said in the same time span of the PS2. 2 years down 7 to go tracking on par to slightly better then gamecube

freddy

Banned
All this talk of the Playstation 3 selling in the hundreds of millions once the price drops would have some merit if the Wii wasn't the new hot item on the block that everyone wants.

TAJ

indie85 said:

PS2 has been out for over eight years. It's sold 130 million. PS2... THE FUCKING JUGGERNAUT OF LAST-GEN.
Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? I'm the goddamned Batman.

felipeko

Zefah said:
Are you saying that the Playstation name is not huge just because Nintendo has dominated the sales charts for the last year or two?
Pretty much.
Zefah said:
Sony dominated the sales charts for like 12 years before that. Pretty much anyone who has played a video game knows "Nintendo" and "Playstation".
But most (95%+) really don't care...
Zefah said:
I think this goal is entirely feasible. SDTVs are barely even being sold anymore, and once non-digital / high-definition broadcasts begin to end around the world around 2010 and beyond, a lot of people will start picking up HDTVs, especially as the prices continue to drop. Blu-Ray sales will also eventually pick up because people will want to watch higher definition movies on their new HDTVs. The Playstation 3 will also continue to drop in price and once it reaches the $249 - $299 level I think sales will begin to pick up dramatically. A lot of big-name games will finally be coming out this year and in 2009 and I think you will see a lot more people interested in picking up the console.

I know this is all speculation, but I think it is totally realistic. I personally plan on picking up a PS3 some time this year, and I have a lot of friends who have been holding off on getting a PS3 until the price drops or a certain game is released. Sony really needs to make the system appear more accessible and drop the multiple SKUs because that stuff is just confusing to the average consumer. They need to market a single SKU and stress what the system can do in simple terms so it doesn't look like a intimidating and confusing high-end computer system.
I think you're out of touch with the market, and maybe the reality. As was Sony when they launched PS3 (i'm not taking Kaz seriously on this statement, because i believe neither him would take his words seriously).

What i meant about the Playstation brand not being huge anymore is simple:
Word of mouth momentum.

Most people don't have a clue when buying a console... So they will just look and see what console most people around them have, because you know, more people having the same console should mean that the console has a better value (word of mouth). It's kinda like go with the flow, that's what most people do when plan to buy a console. Wii is the console for those people now, and PlayStation consoles do not have this appeal anymore. Once you lose this appeal, is very hard to get it again, maybe next gen.

Sadist

llTll said:
honestly, Wii is nice system. i like it. but its not fair to compare it to higher end systems like PS3 and 360. you cant compare the Wii sales to PS3/360 just like how you dont compare PSP/DS sales to PS3/360.
Changing the rules something something, moving the goalposts etc.

llTll said:
but if i ever was a nintendo fanboy, i cant come here and say " oh but my loved nintendo Wii console is kicking ur PS3/360 ass. "

Yeah, I'm a blind fanboy who just can't wait to laugh in the face of the PS3/360. Come on man, that's really degrading. You just posted: Wii is a gaming machine. 360 and PS3 are gaming machines. All three are home consoles. You use all three to play games. And saleswise, it is kicking the asses of 360 and PS3. The only difference is graphicly. Stop spinning.

And your point is shitty btw.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Yeah but lots of price-conscious gamers ain't trying to play their games with no dildo. :lol

So wait, are you saying they're only trying to play their games with dildos?

Goldrusher

TTP said:
I'm gonna save this thread and look at it again in 10 years. You never know :lol

100 million will eventually happen, and 150 million could be possible when more and more people adopt HDTV and choose the PS3 for Blu-ray and HD gaming.
But it's a huge number...

We'll see.

I bought two. That's a start. :lol

Nocebo

indie85 said:
According to logic like math and factual precedents it is pretty unrealistic. In fact, the people not throwing lols are probably the ones not thinking.
The wii is the fastest selling console in recent memory and the ps3 needs to sell on par with that RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND to reach that 150m goal in 8 years.

TAJ

Private Hoffman said:
They don't have a price advantage over anyone, but what they do have is a value advantage which will begin to show its head once PS3 and 360 are priced more similarly in the long term.

The price of Blu-Ray players will drop faster than the price of PS3s, just like with PS2 and DVD-Video. Sorry, but thanks for playing.

Banned
ascii42 said:
Okay, then I find it reasonable not to completely ignore the couple hundred thousand people per month who are just now becoming PS2 owners, and having just finally gotten around to purchasing a $129 system, are not looking to upgrade to a system that costs roughly twice as much anytime soon.

Are you saying those people are going to upgrade to a PS3 in a few years? Why would they chose PS3 over Wii or 360? Pulling BC from the PS3 evened the playing field. All those PS2 owners have no extra reason to pick PS3 when they decide to upgrade.

Galactic Fork said:
So wait, are you saying they're only trying to play their games with dildos?
That was pretty much a direct quotation from Chad Warren, but did you know that in languages such as Italian, French, and Spanish, it is grammatically incorrect to NOT use the double negative? Yet, somehow, they don't get confused (maybe it's because they don't have people willfully interpreting sentences in an obtuse way).

ascii42

Karma said:
Are you saying those people are going to upgrade to a PS3 in a few years? Why would they chose PS3 over Wii or 360? Pulling BC from the PS3 evened the playing field. All those PS2 owners have no extra reason to pick PS3 when they decide to upgrade.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they aren't going to be purchasing anything for a while. They'll be the ones purchasing something (be it a PS3, Wii, 360, or even a next gen console) several years from now. We can't even begin to predict what they'll purchase, or for what reason. That is my point.

TAJ said:
The price of Blu-Ray players will drop faster than the price of PS3s, just like with PS2 and DVD-Video. Sorry, but thanks for playing.

The inclusion of Blu-Ray, a larger hard drive, and standard Wifi still gives it a hardware advantage, regardless of whether or not other players are less expensive. Thanks for playing.

llTll

Banned
Sadist said:
Changing the rules something something, moving the goalposts etc.

Yeah, I'm a blind fanboy who just can't wait to laugh in the face of the PS3/360. Come on man, that's really degrading. You just posted: Wii is a gaming machine. 360 and PS3 are gaming machines. All three are home consoles. You use all three to play games. And saleswise, it is kicking the asses of 360 and PS3. The only difference is graphicly. Stop spinning.

And your point is shitty btw.

i never said you are blind fanboy. i was talking in general.

and LMFAO at you saying Wii is the same as PS3/360. what a noob

Grecco said:
How is PSP/DS in the same discussion but Wii /X360Ps3 isnt? :lol

you dont understand your own point.

i didnt say PSP/DS is in the same group as PS3/360.

wtf people cant read anymore?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
felipeko said:
Pretty much.

But most (95%+) really don't care...

I think you're out of touch with the market, and maybe the reality. As was Sony when they launched PS3 (i'm not taking Kaz seriously on this statement, because i believe neither him would take his words seriously).

I just checked your history and discovered that you are like Captain-Wii of Neogaf. I guess I shouldn't bother arguing with you on this issue.

I don't expect the PS3 to sell more than the Wii, but I do think this goal of 150m is feasible. The video games market has expanded quite a bit since the PS2 debuted. Nintendo's DS and Wii contributed greatly to this expansion as well. I just think that as HDTVs and Blu-Ray grow, so will the PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii looks like shit on big HDTVs. I keep a 20" SDTV around specifically for my Wii, PS2 and older systems. Once the PS3 price drops closer to the Wii's price I think we will see a large increase in sales.

This is all speculation, of course, but as Metal Gear Solid 4 has shown us, the PS3 will sell a lot of units if the games are there to back it up. When the games start pouring in starting later this year, I think that things will pick up. A lot of people are still waiting for price drops and certain games to be released before buying a PS3.

Nocebo

llTll said:
Do you have a point other than spraying brain-diarrea all over everyone? Wii is getting its fair share of the multiplatform pie, I say that while being unsure what the hell you think seperates wii from 360/ps3 though. I doubt anyone really knows.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Karma said:

What if Sony itself offers rebates on PS3 price to those that bring a PS2 back to the store? Even broken. o_O

I don't know. Just saying. They look too confident in the PS2 user base to switch to the PS3. They must have something in mind. Or they are totally crazy.

laserbeam

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
The inclusion of Blu-Ray, a larger hard drive, and standard Wifi still gives it a hardware advantage, regardless of whether or not other players are less expensive. Thanks for playing.

Those added featues will appeal to a gaming audience but the Audio Visual people wont give a shit and audio visual people were huge buyers of the PS2 for a cheap DVD player. I know people who to this day dont own a single PS2 game but bought a PS2 to play DVDs back in the day.

ascii42 said:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they aren't going to be purchasing anything for a while. They'll be the ones purchasing something (be it a PS3, Wii, 360, or even a next gen console) several years from now. We can't even begin to predict what they'll purchase, or for what reason. That is my point.
This is pretty much right. You guys are acting like it's too late for Sony to gain any foothold, but they have a large enough install base to stay afloat and possibly, in the future, make a real rally when prices dip again.

indie85

Banned
laserbeam said:
They are down to 7 years to sell 135+ million consoles. he didnt say 9 years from now. he said in the same time span of the PS2. 2 years down 7 to go tracking on par to slightly better then gamecube
Yeah, and PS3 isnt even near its golden period yet, starting at such a massive price, blu - ray in its infancy, it'll be another 2 years until it even starts hitting peak sales - during that period A LOT of motherf**king consoles can get sold, look at the PS2 golden period.

Like others, I'll be keeping a bookmark on this thread.

schuelma

llTll said:
and LMFAO at you saying Wii is the same as PS3/360. what a noob

Are they in different markets or something? Is Guitar Hero Wii something fundamentally different from GH PS3? Does Guitar Hero Wii handily outselling GH PS3 not count for some reason?

Are you claiming that in Japan the Wii's success has absolutely zero impact on the other 2? Seriously?

just look at those Sony fanboys who've quickly adopted Nintendo's trademark speech "We're not competing with..not in the same market.." just because their console is in third place.

amazing. I'm really enjoying this hilarious bullshit since 2007

indie85 said:

nine years? By that time, Xbox 1440 will be out and people will be buying that instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom