• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should make Cloud saves on PS4/5 free and not part of PSN Plus

Topher

Gold Member
I believe less than 14 days and less 2 hours of gametime, is now autmatically granted. On Xbox, other cases are individual, for example if patch broke it or something like that.

They should make that policy. Right now, the policy is completely arbitrary.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They should make that policy. Right now, the policy is completely arbitrary.
Maybe because I am in EU? Normally before it even asked, however I refund myself few games in past 2 months and it was wihout question asked (I am not talking about CB2077)...

Riky

$MSFT
Ok so a little story about this.....i sold my ps4 pro(worst console ever) around april 2019. My psn+ Had expired probably around January or February 2019.
I played a lot of skyrim/gt sport and had multiple saves on the cloud. I didnt back up anything.
Fast forward to august 2020 and im on this forum realising that when i eventually buy the ps5 at launch, i wouldnt have any of my cloud saves since i stopped subscribing to psn+. Queue people calling me an idiot for not backing up etc but i presumed it would be seamless like the xbox experience. Well once i got my ps5, i got a month of psn+ Lo and behold all my previous saves were there. In fact im certain there were saves there from AFTER my psn+ sub ended in jan/feb 2019. So i have no idea wtf is going on.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, still got my PS4 Pro but not PS+ for a year, so my saves are locked away until I resubscribe. I'll only do that if I get a PS5 so I hope my saves are still there.

Last edited:
They should just give us the option to upload shit to our own 3rd party clouds. Just like they let you upload videos to YouTube and screenshots to twitter. I have 2 TB cloud storage I get from my ISP which would be great for screenshots/videos and saves.

Heck, I'd love to be able to just use my NAS as a cloud storage. The fact that this shit is behind a paywall is embarrassing especially when you compare it to Steam for example.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
It was a mistake and they admitted it and changed it within 24 hours. Bottom line is they listened to community feedback. Now i hope functionality like cloud saves on psn will be free. No limit and free.

Anyone defending paid multiplayer or paid cloud saves is corporate shill in my eyes
I’m not a shill and I enjoy things that are free, but PS4 has sold over 100,000,000 and has many more players. How can they provide that kind of storage for free?

I’m not a shill and I enjoy things that are free, but PS4 has sold over 100,000,000 and has many more players. How can they provide that kind of storage for free?
Azure storage costs £0.00061/GB per month so 100GB would be 6p per month per user, or 72p a year. Most users wouldn't even need 1GB so the cost is easily covered with the console purchase.

Steam 120 million active monthly users (with over 1 billion accounts)

Every steam user has free cloud storage dependent on how many games he owns as each game has a fixed amount of cloud storage. On top of that each account gets a fixed amount of storage for screenshots.

If Valve can do it on a much larger scale, then Sony can do it too.

Duchess

Yep, cloud saves on PlayStation are tied to Plus.

Some other things to keep in mind: according to various forums, there is a grace period of about 6 months after your PS+ ends before they are deleted.

It would be nice if Sony could allow one save backup (the latest one) per game, per account.

TLZ

Banned
Yep, cloud saves on PlayStation are tied to Plus.

Some other things to keep in mind: according to various forums, there is a grace period of about 6 months after your PS+ ends before they are deleted.

It would be nice if Sony could allow one save backup (the latest one) per game, per account.
According to posters here whose subs ran out for a year plus, they still had access to their saves when they resubbed.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You and DarkMage have been going at it all day. Is it because it's the last bullet point you have against Sony? The desperation.

Please give me a scenario on PS5 where you absolutely needed a cloud save? On PS4 I used a flash drive to transfer them.

I never use them on Steam, GOG or Switch. Don't even know how to get them actually.

Cloud saves are free on XBOX because it's THE ONLY way to store them. You can't use backups. It might come later on PS5, we'll see.

Amaranty

Sony should make MP for free. I haven't had PS+ for over a month now and I was struggling with a boss in Nioh 2. Figured I'd call someone to help. Try to summon someone and it opens up PS+ purchase page on the store.

What a joke.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Steam 120 million active monthly users (with over 1 billion accounts)

Every steam user has free cloud storage dependent on how many games he owns as each game has a fixed amount of cloud storage. On top of that each account gets a fixed amount of storage for screenshots.

If Valve can do it on a much larger scale, then Sony can do it too.

Thank you. I Haven’t kept up with storage costs, so good to know it’s possible.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
The Xbox community had a bad decission reversed, confirmed the community with the most outspoken users! I don't get the fact that 99% of PS and Nintendo users are ok with such an anti-consumer policy and swallow everything their overlords decide for them. Make some noise for real and they have to reverse the decission to lock cloudsaves behind a paywall.
They are too busy playing exclusive and awesome games, but good Try

iHaunter

Today, we saw MS changed their policy after listening to community feedback and made f2p games actually free where no gold required to play online and also decided not to increase the price.

Now, its time for Sony to allow free cloud saves. Functionality like cloud save is free on Xbox and PC but Sony charges money for it and its high time they change. You guys agree it should be free or no?

Discuss.
Would you say the same for Nintendo?

sure yeah they should offer some amount of free cloud saves. or at least allow USB backup as free option

You can do USB back-ups...

I hope they become free. Even Nintendo does that now.

Nintendo has it locked behind a paywall. And Nintendo + or whatever is 100x worse than PS+.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Why not both?
Arguing about cloud saves is pathetic, nobody cares. It’s the paywall that’s the real issue.
Microsoft could easily afford free online play for its users, given they use the same Azure infrastructure for the rest of their bussinesses. Same could be said about Sony and their servers.

The only one that truly have an excuse for online paywall (because their infrastructure is small) is Nintendo. The rest is just greed.

ethomaz

Banned
Two different subjects.

- You need to give user free space on servers to allow free cloud storage... that is generate a cost.

- You don’t need do to anything to allow F2P games to be F2P... you have no cost.

The first is debatable and the company can ask to the end-user pay the bill.

The second is really weird because you are making the end-user pay for something you don’t own or pay a penny... it is basically steal money from end-user wallets.

Said that I hope Sony offer options like Google Drive and others to allow store in Cloud saves... that way you don’t need to ask the end-user to pay the bill or add a cost without return to your business.

Last edited:

FranXico

Sony should make MP for free. I haven't had PS+ for over a month now and I was struggling with a boss in Nioh 2. Figured I'd call someone to help. Try to summon someone and it opens up PS+ purchase page on the store.

What a joke.
It's the same on Xbox though. Online multiplayer paywalls should have never been normalized in the first place.

ripeavocado

Banned
Of course they should but they never do it as long as they are dozens of millions of gamers paying for something that should be free.

Topher

Gold Member
Overall, I have a hard time equating requiring Gold for FREE to play games with cloud saves. FTP games are typically online so effectively MS was making these games NOT free to play. Cloud saves are a convenience, not a necessity. I could have easily exported all my previous saves like the Batman ones I showed above on to a USB drive. But I didn't and that is on me.

Having said all that, cloud saves are becoming the norm and that is good. Yes, I think it should be a feature that comes with the console at no extra cost. But this redirection to talking about a Sony issue after a Microsoft PR disaster is a bit forced.

JimboJones

Your gonna get seemingly basic services locked behind paywalls on consoles, how else would they justify selling consoles at such a relatively cheap price.
It's just reality there's gonna be hidden costs like these, be it saves on Nintendo/Sony or free to play games on MS, pick your poison I guess.

Edit: didn't realize MS had made the decision to get rid of the free to pay paywall, that's a good step forward.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It only really became a bad thing when PS5 launched w/o the ability to back up saves.

Before that.. whatevs...

Companies charge for value as much as cost. That's capitalism for you. The cost is incredibly minimal, the value is the convenience and the other features PSN+ provides.

Same with everything else related to these services that generally offer a very high profit margin.

MS found out yesterday that people do not think the value of online multi-player and occasionally free games is $10/month.

$5/month seems like a sweet spot for that; on the Sony side that includes paywalling cloud saves.

*shrug*

v_iHuGi

Banned
Xbox Live is hands down the best online platform in console gaming, maybe because they invest in their online infastructure and owning the servers Xbox Live runs on. It's just damn good and in the decade and a half I'm using it is never down for longer then an hour at most twice a year or so. I also like the Games with Gold added bonus games and get much use almost every week with the Deals with Gold offers so the yearly subscriptions I used to earn with the MS rewards program gave me XLG for free before I started to subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate. I earn enough points yearly to have that for free to but instead of that I used my MS Reward points the last year to get about 200 dollar of Xbox giftcards to get me some games in the Black Friday and other sales.

Yes you have to use the Xbox or MS Store to buy your games, movies and TV shows but when you were doing that anyway like me before the MS Rewards loyalty program was a thing you can have XLG or GPU for free if you choose to.

Maybe in 2008 2009 yes it was, these days they are pretty much the same shit and Xbox Live actually goes down more times than PSN which is an absolute joke coming from MicroSoftWare.

I´ve been using XBL since forever, since Ps4 came out never touched it as much as i used to, in fact i completely left the platform in 2019, Xbox Live Gold is absolute shit these days (Game Offering) and MS focus is clearly on GP which is far far better than Gold now.

I give kudos to MS, their game servers since Gears 3 have been very good but they were late to the party adding dedicated servers to their games when many major players were already doing that, i´ll never forget Gears 2 fiasco.

Blond

Banned
It was a mistake and they admitted it and changed it within 24 hours. Bottom line is they listened to community feedback. Now i hope functionality like cloud saves on psn will be free. No limit and free.

Anyone defending paid multiplayer or paid cloud saves is corporate shill in my eyes
“Companies should give me free access to shit” is what your entire argument boils down too. Cloud storage and redundancy to ensure no data loss is a of work, even on a small establishment like the ones I work on which is largely automated still requires manual maintenance. Don’t believe me? Microsoft tried to offer unlimited one drive storage years ago and realized even they couldn’t keep up without cloud being a money loser.

Mr Moose

I had no idea cloud saves were tied to plus lol. What a shit move by sony. And its only like 10gb iirc.
I could be reading it wrong, but I think it's 107GB on PS5?

Edit:
With PlayStation®Plus cloud storage, you can save your progress on one system and then continue on another later on. You can save up to 100GB of game save data for PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4.

Last edited:

Concern

I could be reading it wrong, but I think it's 107GB on PS5?

Edit:
With PlayStation®Plus cloud storage, you can save your progress on one system and then continue on another later on. You can save up to 100GB of game save data for PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4.

Well that's definitely way better than the 10gb on Ps4. I remember it used to be just 1gb then updated to 10gb.

Still a shitty move to have behind plus. Should be accessible for anyone with a Playstation.

sublimit

Banned
I wish but sadly it ain't happening. I've been saying that ever since the PS3 era.The way consoles became ever since the 7th generation cloud saves should have been the responsibility of the platform holder and provided them for free.
If not then at least give us the option of some type of official memory card.

Of course there's also the usb stick solution but these can get easily corrupted.

Aenima

I had no idea cloud saves were tied to plus lol. What a shit move by sony. And its only like 10gb iirc.
Its 100gb now. It used to be 10gb untill 2 years ago or so.
Actually, 200gb if u own a PS5 as the saves are stored in diferent sections, its 100gb for PS4 saves and another 100gb for PS5 saves.

Wold be nice if at least they gave away 10gb for free cloud saves. All my PS4 cloud saves only took 7GB of cloud storage space.

BTW, are party chat still locked behind xbox live sub? Or MS already got rid of that nonsense?

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I've never used my cloud saves for anything. For me at least, it's a worthless feature altogether. Why do people want console manufactures to hold their save files?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Sony should make online free. Period. I don’t pay a cent with Steam and I get cloud saves and online. Console players keep getting put through the ringer and it’s hilarious to watch how the majority just accepts it.

Concern

Its 100gb now. It used to be 10gb untill 2 years ago or so.

Wold be nice if at least they gave away 10gb for free cloud saves.

BTW, are party chat still locked behind xbox live sub? Or MS already got rid of that nonsense?

Yea my auto saves to the cloud had stopped once it filled up. So I had bought a 128gb usb to transfer my saves and let it stay on auto. It should just be free imo.

Im not exactly sure but I believe they still are. At least f2p not behind a paywall now. Maybe that could be next.

And if you're not subscribed to PS Plus for 6 months Sony removes your cloud saves
I didn't know about this. Finding a code for $30 a year and just paying for three years at a time basically makes this all a non-issue, but that being said, they should taught you with your save games and not let you download if it expires instead of outright deleting everything. That's actually pretty crazy.

Almost as bad as Sony's refund policy. It being, there isn't one.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
they should but people are happy to pay for online so they will charge.

don't give me bullshit about how you aren't happy to pay for online. maybe YOU aren't. the very fact that PS+ exists as a paid product is proof that most people don't mind paying for it. if people really weren't up for paying to play online then Sony would've scrapped PS+ years ago.

Top Bottom