• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should make Cloud saves on PS4/5 free and not part of PSN Plus

VGEsoterica

Or just make it a separate service. I don't find a ton of time to play multiplayer games online so my PSN membership lapsed...but I'd totally pay like $1-2 a month just for cloud saves

Agent X

I feel that it would be good for Sony to offer a small amount of cloud storage for free.

With PlayStation Plus, you currently get 100 GB for PS4/PS5 games, plus another 1 GB for PS3/Vita games. Sony could probably give out 1 to 5 GB for free, which would be more than enough for most casual users who play relatively few games. If you want more than that, then you'll have to pay for PS Plus, or possibly some alternate source as you'll see in a moment.

Said that I hope Sony offer options like Google Drive and others to allow store in Cloud saves... that way you don’t need to ask the end-user to pay the bill or add a cost without return to your business.
The other option is that they allow you to link to other services like Google Drive/Onedrive/Dropbox etc.

I like these suggestions! This would be a great way for users to leverage the copious amount of storage that they receive through other services.

Blond

Banned
they should but people are happy to pay for online so they will charge.

don't give me bullshit about how you aren't happy to pay for online. maybe YOU aren't. the very fact that PS+ exists as a paid product is proof that most people don't mind paying for it. if people really weren't up for paying to play online then Sony would've scrapped PS+ years ago.
I will never forget when people swore up and down that PSN+ was just for discounts and not a Trojan horse for paid online on the PS4.

Today, we saw MS changed their policy after listening to community feedback and made f2p games actually free where no gold required to play online and also decided not to increase the price.

Now, its time for Sony to allow free cloud saves. Functionality like cloud save is free on Xbox and PC but Sony charges money for it and its high time they change. You guys agree it should be free or no?

Discuss.
Make a petition I’m sure they’ll have to answer

llien

You know guys, Microsoft would have reverted paid online play decision, back you know when, had people voted with their wallet.

Now Ginnie is out...

JLB

Banned
Azure storage costs £0.00061/GB per month so 100GB would be 6p per month per user, or 72p a year. Most users wouldn't even need 1GB so the cost is easily covered with the console purchase.

Those are end client costs, for big customers the real number is a fraction of that.

Quasicat

Microsoft could easily afford free online play for its users, given they use the same Azure infrastructure for the rest of their bussinesses. Same could be said about Sony and their servers.

The only one that truly have an excuse for online paywall (because their infrastructure is small) is Nintendo. The rest is just greed.

Agreed! Not only that, Nintendo charges the least for their service as well.

I remember when Sony charged for an online pass for used games and still shut down servers for underperforming titles.

Would you say the same for Nintendo?

You can do USB back-ups...

Nintendo has it locked behind a paywall. And Nintendo + or whatever is 100x worse than PS+.
i dont play on Ninty platforms, so idc but yes they should make it free. Iam against online paid mp and cloud saves and its baffling some people defending paid cloud saves nd all.. This is ultimate shilling for a corporation.

Paid online on both Xbox and PS, and Paid Cloud saves both are anti consumer practices and hope both will be gone forever

Overall, I have a hard time equating requiring Gold for FREE to play games with cloud saves. FTP games are typically online so effectively MS was making these games NOT free to play. Cloud saves are a convenience, not a necessity. I could have easily exported all my previous saves like the Batman ones I showed above on to a USB drive. But I didn't and that is on me.

Having said all that, cloud saves are becoming the norm and that is good. Yes, I think it should be a feature that comes with the console at no extra cost. But this redirection to talking about a Sony issue after a Microsoft PR disaster is a bit forced.
Iam just talking about policies, Community forced MS to end one major bad policy, now consumer needs to get united and ask these companies to stop, not only paid mp but also paid cloud saves.. But some of you acting as paid Sony employees defending their BS policies and bad refund system.. It just makes me sad. I dont know what benefit you get by defending them, but i hope its worth it to you.

Worst part about PSN cloud save is that you cant even download or access your cloud saves once membership ends. Dont let us upload new files into cloud but atleast let us access our old saves once membership expires. When bought my new system, i tried to download my saves for Odyssey which were in cloud but i couldnt access them as my membership expired. So i had to renew it just to download my saves.. This is pure bs. Its sad and down right pathetic to defend this bs policy

Last edited:

iHaunter

I hope they become free. Even Nintendo does that now.

i dont play on Ninty platforms, so idc but yes they should make it free. Iam against online paid mp and cloud saves and its baffling some people defending paid cloud saves nd all.. This is ultimate shilling for a corporation.

Paid online on both Xbox and PS, and Paid Cloud saves both are anti consumer practices and hope both will be gone forever
You want companies to rent you their server space for free? I think you need to come down to reality a little bit.

Microsoft's refund policy could be improved quite a bit actually as there are no defined parameters. Each is judged individually. It is better than Sony's, but not "way better". Steam's policy is the one others should adopt. 2 hours of gameplay in 14 days. Clear and consistent. You know exactly where you stand. GOG's is even better: 30 days no questions asked. Bottom line on refund: consoles in general have a lot of catching up to do in this regard.
MS refund policy is miles better than Sony. They have dedicated system in place, option to apply refund on website by filling up the form. As long as you are not abusing the system, they give refund pretty easily. My experience have been real good so far (5 successful refunds under 24 for Xbox One so far). Xbox policy is not as good as Steam and GOG but its WAY better than Sony. I mean refund policy dont even exist on PS. Is there a dedicated option in your account profile to ask refund? No. Sony hates giving refund. Look at Cyberpunk PS debacle lol

Your only option is to chat with CC and if he is not complete moron, he might give you refund but chances are 50-50. There is no denying it. I have tried refund on both platforms and i have friends who tried on both and all shared same experience as me on respective platforms.

Maybe for your experience with Sony was somehow better lol

Last edited:
You want companies to rent you their server space for free? I think you need to come down to reality a little bit.
Your argument doesnt make any sense when Steam, GOG, EA Origins and Xbox all give cloud saves for free. Sony is bigger than Valve and still charges for cloud saves.

Greed is the only real answer.

I agree. Platform holders should make basic shit like cloud saves and being able to play online against other people free. To gate that behind fees is just fucking disgusting. But from a business point of view, it seems that there are enough idiots out there who are not only willing to get conned into paying for stuff that should be free but are even "proud" of being locked in like that.
Yes
I also hate both paid online and cloud saves, but sadly some people just defending it like crazy... Iam getting attacked for highlighting anti consumer policies here.

Anyway, some people made really good points as well..Good discussion nonetheless. Hope change will come which will be better for all of us :)

Last edited:
Gaf User name SoloKing Robert posted this -

Wtf is this true as well? If yes then its pathetic imo.

I'm just wondering why I can't find anything about that from Sony. You would think they would have it in a FAQ but I can't find it anywhere. Certainly something that you don't want to hide from consumers.

MarkMe2525

That is not true. I resubbed to PS+ just two days ago after finally being able to purchase a PS5. I had not been subscribed since 2018. I've been playing Batman Arkham Knight again recently.

Here you can see my saves from 2017 in the cloud as well as my more recent saves from playing the game again.

JzBSsgm.jpg

While I agree with you that this is functionality would be better if it were not behind a paywall like the competition, Sony does not delete these saves.

Microsoft's refund policy could be improved quite a bit actually as there are no defined parameters. Each is judged individually. It is better than Sony's, but not "way better". Steam's policy is the one others should adopt. 2 hours of gameplay in 14 days. Clear and consistent. You know exactly where you stand. GOG's is even better: 30 days no questions asked. Bottom line on refund: consoles in general have a lot of catching up to do in this regard.
To be fair, MS's loose policy allowed me to refund a game I put 12 hours into because I received the game as a gift 2 days later. I'm not sure how adding a hard lock on the 2 hour in 14 days would be an advantage.

TLZ

Banned
They should at least give us the option to use our own cloud spaces then; Google, Apple, Amazon, MS, etc. I feel like I'm forced to use theirs.

Top Bottom