• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should make Cloud saves on PS4/5 free and not part of PSN Plus

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I like you started attacking me instead of criticising bad policy. Attacking me wont get you anything but asking for change will help everyone including you.
I already said I think if cloud saves were the only way to backup your saves that it would be a shitty greedy policy and I said the idea of free cloud saves is not bad in and of itself (1 GB a year is not a huge huge deal).

You then jumped on the attack “Sony fanboy that cannot criticise cloud saves” is what generated the rest and makes it seems as just a fanboyish way to create some negative anti Sony outcry (it is the thread, what you say and how and the general attitude that shows this this) and I had to make you notice you did not even bother reading what I wrote, but keep being offensive :).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Its 100gb now. It used to be 10gb untill 2 years ago or so.
Actually, 200gb if u own a PS5 as the saves are stored in diferent sections, its 100gb for PS4 saves and another 100gb for PS5 saves.

Wold be nice if at least they gave away 10gb for free cloud saves. All my PS4 cloud saves only took 7GB of cloud storage space.

BTW, are party chat still locked behind xbox live sub? Or MS already got rid of that nonsense?
200 GB of cloud storage per user is not cheap and not so trivial to give it out for free. It would be mega Uber shorty and greedy of Sony if you could not backup the saves otherwise. Can you?

This should be changed. It's a terrible policy.

While they're at it (and they may have changed this already?) they should change the terrible policy where you can't move to a different country. When I left England for the US I transferred my Xbox account and everything I'd ever bought to the new country, easy as a few clicks. Sony told me to get fucked, you've lost everything, start again. Edge case I know, and I'm almost over it seven years later, but still not customer friendly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Not only do they need to update their cloud save policy like you mentioned, but they also need to update their refund policy to be more like steam. If you buy and game and start downloading (even if the download doesn't finish or if it does and you don't even boot the game) then you're ineligible for a refund.

chonga

Sony should make everything free. I don't care that there is a cost involved for them. It should all be free. I bought my PS5 with my own money I should have everything for free on it.

FrankWza

At least you can change your email on psn.
That’s why all you 30 year old Xbox users email address is soccermomof3@___.com
or mycootisdusty@___.com. From the 360 days

Duchess

According to posters here whose subs ran out for a year plus, they still had access to their saves when they resubbed.
Ah, interesting. Well, if I ever rejoin PS+ I guess I'll find out (right now, I think that PS Now is a better deal for me).

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

FrankWza

Nice try, but nope

Taken from your link.

Warning When removing an email alias that’s a Microsoft domain (such as @Outlook.com, @Live.com, or @Hotmail.com), that email is completely deleted from our systems and can no longer be used to send or receive emails. It won’t be available for use again as an alias on another account. Microsoft does not recycle email addresses, so it may not be reclaimed at a future time.

Now mommy has to change her email address she’s been using for 15 years

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Taken from your link.

Warning When removing an email alias that’s a Microsoft domain (such as @Outlook.com, @Live.com, or @Hotmail.com), that email is completely deleted from our systems and can no longer be used to send or receive emails. It won’t be available for use again as an alias on another account. Microsoft does not recycle email addresses, so it may not be reclaimed at a future time.

Now mommy has to change her email address she’s been using for 15 years
Yeah, but you can change it to different kind of email and that I though was the purpose of this question.

FrankWza

Yeah, but you can change it to different kind of email and that I though was the purpose of this question.
Again, that’s why there’s 30 year olds who have mommy’s email address. Unless they want to change gamer tags and lose all trophies and friends list OR have mommy change an email address that could potentially be as old as the internet and be tied to everything from acquaintances to monthly bills to banking.

Last edited:
Doesnt all of Playstation’s online run on Microsoft’s Servers?

I believe whatever service you provide you can charge for. PS+ is extremely cheap though. I renew for 30 bucks a year.

Sony made these services worth it. Two of the biggest features are Games every month, and not being charged to play online for free games. Now they also have PS+ Collection. That’s all Sony. What did Microsoft provide? Charging for games? and Free saves?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gaf User name SoloKing Robert posted this -

[And if you're not subscribed to PS Plus for 6 months Sony removes your cloud saves]

Wtf is this true as well? If yes then its pathetic imo.

Really?

Sony will delete your saves?

FrankWza

I know on PS4 we can. I read on PS5 that can't be done currently.
On PS5 for PS4 games you can as well. Given the external storage situation not being sorted out I would say it will be an option for PS5 games as well once they allow external storage for PS5 games. If it isn’t then everyone can complain. I would like it as a feature as well.

Sony should follow same path as MS. All saves should be on cloud for free and for everyone.
A friend of mine, who has PS5, could not find his old God of War and Bloodborne saves, which is a shame, and he cannot understand why.
Sony, just make it as simple as MS did.
This saves problem is not representing the 4 the players slogan at all.

Outrunner

All Sony really needs to do is merge PS Now with PS Plus (with the Plus Collection included) and price it at $14,99 and then market the shit out of it.

Cyberpunkd

And that ms policy of doubling the price of xbox live gold was the most disgusting thing any company had the cheek to try and pull off. I was honestly contemplating selling my series x.
Company wants to make money,

breaking news GIF

longdi

Banned
i agree this is another anti consumer practise sony quietly gets away with.

Companies want money, thats fair. But it is good to highlight things such as this.

When you are already subbed to psn, cloud saves should be free.
Or at worse, if you stop ps+, you should be able to use back your already uploaded save files. you cant upload new files.
save files are already small. 🤷‍♀️

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nope. Completely made up. Stopped paying for PS+ for the last 3 years of the PS4 cycle — like magic, all of my saves were still there when I re-subbed with the PS5.
Whoa that poster (given his post history) was spreading unsubstantiated FUD/bullshit about a PS product... not too shocked ;).

i agree this is another anti consumer practise sony quietly gets away with.

Companies want money, thats fair. But it is good to highlight things such as this.

When you are already subbed to psn, cloud saves should be free.
Or at worse, if you stop ps+, you should be able to use back your already uploaded save files. you cant upload new files.
save files are already small. 🤷‍♀️

Small? Not for modern games, you can easily have lots of GB of saved data (another Sony anti consumer storm in a teacup?).

They give about 200 GB (100 GB for PS4 games and 100 GB for PS5 games) of cloud saves data per user and it is anti-consumer to charge for it? They could give 1-5 GB of free data per user sure, but most would see it as a joke.

What is anti consumer is that there is no easy way to backup PS5 game saves to a USB memory stick or HDD without backing up the entire drive like you could for PS4 games. This needs to be addressed quickly.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Whoa that poster (given his post history) was spreading unsubstantiated FUD/bullshit about a PS product... not too shocked ;).

Small? Not for modern games, you can easily have lots of GB of saved data (another Sony anti consumer storm in a teacup?).

They give about 200 GB (100 GB for PS4 games and 100 GB for PS5 games) of cloud saves data per user and it is anti-consumer to charge for it? They could give 1-5 GB of free data per user sure, but most would see it as a joke.

What is anti consumer is that there is no easy way to backup PS5 game saves to a USB memory stick or HDD without backing up the entire drive like you could for PS4 games. This needs to be addressed quickly.

Oh i didnt know modern games have big save sizes. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

so a single ps+ sub gives your 200GB now?
thats generous.
sony redeemed.

can you upload your own photos and media?
it is cheaper than google cloud

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh i didnt know modern games have big save sizes. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

so a single ps+ sub gives your 200GB now?
thats generous.
sony redeemed.
PS4 Cloud Storage: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/subscriptions/ps4-ps-plus-online-storage/ (PS3/PSP/PS Vita have an additional shared 1 GB)
With online storage, you can save your progress on one system and then continue on another later on. You can save up to 100GB of game saved data from PlayStation®4.
From what other posters were saying (for now at least) PS5 has a dedicated 100 GB save data area not shared with PS4 games.

can you upload your own photos and media?
I am not sure if your screenshots and videos are backed by PS+, I do not think they are so no... I think.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What do they mean (PS3/PSP/PS Vita have an additional shared 1 GB)?
I read this following section as meaning that:
With online storage, you can save your progress on one system and then continue on another later on. You can save up to 100GB of game save data (1 GB for PS3/Vita/TV).
From the same link I quoted before.
Pretty wild PS3 - > PS4 saw a huge jump in save file sizes?
I guess between games growing larger and larger (more open worlds and live services tracking humongous amounts of variables) and people having large HDD’s to store such saved data in and now relatively cheap cloud storage developers stopped optimising that and size kept growing unrestricted. I currently have 2.66 GB of saved data on my PS5 now with few games being played and much more on my PS4 Pro (I have a 2 TB filled with games and saves there and a lot less games on PS5, but bigger ones... NBA2K1 is well over 100 GB and some other PS5 exclusives are 40-50+ GB too).

NBA2K1 save file is (still early in the game and not played a lot of the online mode if at all) almost 185 MB for a single game, Days Gone is well over 96 MB and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is 110+ MB).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm thinking all this might be resolved with the move to Azure. Just a guess, but I could see this, PS Now, and online gaming in general for PS may be undergoing digital plastic surgery.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Give every PSN account 10GB free space for saves, and give PS+ the ability to (auto) upload screenshots/videos to the cloud and visible/downloadable from the PS App.

Cyberpunkd

Yea by robbing there customers. They would have made sony more money then themselves. You can't just double the price of something and expect people will keep on paying. Not everyone is on a ms salary.
Robbing their customers? A $60 increase per year works out to additional $5 per month, if you have difficulty paying this you got bigger problems and videogames should not be your past time at all.

The Shepard

Robbing their customers? A $60 increase per year works out to additional $5 per month, if you have difficulty paying this you got bigger problems and videogames should not be your past time at all.

They was doubling the price of something with adding nothing to it, you can not justify it at all especially when the competition would have been much cheaper and better value. I don't care if it only works out to a extra $5 a month. If every company done this and acted like you your bills would double in a year. I would not have paid that for principal not that I couldn't afford it.

There's a reasonable justification for cloud saves being a paid feature.

That said I would suggest they give you a couple GB worth of cloud saves for free to all users and put a higher tier higher capacity limit version behind the PS+ paywall... that way it will deliver the best of both worlds and keep everyone happy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I can't believe someone is ok with paying for cloud saves.
I am not mainly because on PS5 for now it is the only way to easily backup your saves. Would I like having 1-5 GB of free storage for saves (think iCloud)? Yes, do I think giving you 200 GB of cloud storage (100 GB for PS5 games only) as well as free games per month and so on is worth the cost of PS+? Yes.

v_iHuGi

Banned
PS + just like Live Gold is a huge piece of garbage.

Make online Free & Use PS + to Cloud + GameCollection & fuse it with PS NOW, kill 1 of them and voila.

Playstation Plus = Stream/Download & GameCollection (+1000 titles).

thief183

I am not mainly because on PS5 for now it is the only way to easily backup your saves. Would I like having 1-5 GB of free storage for saves (think iCloud)? Yes, do I think giving you 200 GB of cloud storage (100 GB for PS5 games only) as well as free games per month and so on is worth the cost of PS+? Yes.

Steam gives me enough space for cloud saves for free, so it does epic games and every other store front I can use. You don't need 200Gb of space, if you need to save only the save game, I mean I got more than 600 games on steam and I'm at 1Gb of saves more or less.

Aenima

Steam gives me enough space for cloud saves for free, so it does epic games and every other store front I can use. You don't need 200Gb of space, if you need to save only the save game, I mean I got more than 600 games on steam and I'm at 1Gb of saves more or less.
Dont compare PC saves with console saves. Just 1 save of Man Eater for PS5 its 500MB. Depends of the devs, some games have 1 MB saves others go crazy with save sizes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have few games installed and active on my PS5 and more on the PS4 Pro and on just my PS5 I have already 2.6 GB of save data alone: console devs let save files grow more. PC also has free online 🤷‍♂️.

I can't believe someone is ok with paying for cloud saves.

I'm indifferent. Free shit is nice, but capitalism hates it. Capitalism doesn't really give a shit about what you or I think or feel. These are for profit companies and not charities and so will do everything that is in their interest over the interests of the consumer.

There's also a subtle distinction between understanding why something that sucks is the case and advocating for it. Acknowledging the reasoning for Sony's refusal to give cloud saves away for free isn;t the same as advocating for it.

I can clearly acknowledge that there a reason Sony chooses not to offer cloud saves free and MS does, is that unlike MS, Sony doesn't own and operate their own back-end server infrastructure, nor have their own cloud drive service to leverage like MS does. Server time and server storage is a bigger cost to Sony, whereas MS can simply leverage their existing resources at cost.

At the same time, me acknowledging this doesn't necessarily mean I agree with Sony's position.

I can also acknowledge that PSN profits from game and MTX royalties absolutely dwarf any potential cost of offering a few GB of cloud saves free to all PSN users. And that Sony probably spends more on a marketing campaign for a single game than it would likely cost them to offer cloud saves to everyone.

That said, very few companies would be willing to increase their cost base, reducing profitability, simply for the sake of gamer goodwill; especially a company who is the market leader and therefore isn't meaningfully hurting by maintaining the status quo.

I try to be a realist, rather than a romantic idealist. I feel it helps temper more realistic expectations.

Last edited:

Aidah

Cloud storage is essential to Microsoft's strategy. For a while now they've been about separating the platform from the hardware, and having their games and platform available across multiple types of devices, with you jumping between them if you want. It can't be part of Gold.

Anyway, the only thing I think really shouldn't be behind a paywall the way it is now is online multiplayer. One, it's required in order to access parts of other products that you've already paid for, and there is no way to get those other products without the multiplayer component. Two, it's always a garbage practice to have the only way to access something so essential is via a bundle with a bunch of garbage you wouldn't necessarily buy otherwise.

ethomaz

Banned
That's not entirely true, is it?
Matchmaking and other services which might be done using Xbox Live and PS Plus infrastructure have a cost
Most games don’t use either Live or PSN servers for that.
To be fair each game publisher/developer has it own server for matchmaking... they can contract Azure if they want but that is paid and open to anybody even Sony.

The only cost with F2P games on PSN/Live are the game storage and bandwidth to download that are probably covered by MTX.

To be fair another thing that should never be paid in the the online play for any game... the cost are not on PSN/Live side but on the game own servers.

Cloud is reasonable to be paid.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Only used them when going from PS4 Pro to PS5. It makes sense on Xbox because you can merge your saves between PC and Xbox consoles.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Cloud storage is essential to Microsoft's strategy. For a while now they've been about separating the platform from the hardware, and having their games and platform available across multiple types of devices, with you jumping between them if you want. It can't be part of Gold.

Anyway, the only thing I think really shouldn't be behind a paywall the way it is now is online multiplayer. One, it's required in order to access parts of other products that you've already paid for, and there is no way to get those other products without the multiplayer component. Two, it's always a garbage practice to have the only way to access something so essential is via a bundle with a bunch of garbage you wouldn't necessarily buy otherwise.
100%

Online play cost are in the publisher/developer side and are already included in the price you pay for the game or the MTX you buy (in F2P case).

PSN/Live has no involvement in the online play except for the forced login authentication and shared friend list.

Now Cloud storage is another thing... it has a cost for the one that offer the service.

If one should be free is definitively online play... cloud storage is not something that should definitely be free because it depends on the costs involved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom