• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony slowing PSN download speeds in the US due to COVID-19

Took me 4mins to download the RE Resistance demo (10.6GB). Seems perfectly acceptable.

Me too. That's why I don't understand all of these "I'm impressed they can make it slower" comments. I bet all of those comments are from people who don't even own a PS system, because they don't know what they are talking about. I've lived all over the country in the past 10 years, and I've never had any issues downloading from PSN. Just downloaded the 44 GB Assassin's Creed Origin in 17 minutes.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's mostly for the countries with poor infrastructure.

I seriously doubt there are many countries in f.ex. EU with this kind of issue.. And that's exactly the frustration; there's no reason whatsoever to throttle anything here in Norway, but yet we get throttled directly from the content providers anyway due to the elderly know-nothings "the internet is a series of tubes" in Brussels. It's utterly stupid.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Slow down sucks but thats why my console is on rest mode. Hardly have to deal with doing any updates or downloading games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
a bummer but games are a low priority at this time.
Is it? People have stay at home, so games are perfect entertainment for this type of situation, there are people cant leave their house and most stores are closed off (at least in Canada) and digital download is their only option.

Geki-D

Banned
Is it? People have stay at home, so games are perfect entertainment for this type of situation, there are people cant leave their house and most stores are closed off (at least in Canada) and digital download is their only option.
You make it sound like it's impossible to download. If your speed is seriously affected, chances are your internet was dogshit to begin with. I got 10GB downloaded in 4mins. Investor9872 got 44GB in 17.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol. PSN never makes full use of my internet speeds at the best of times so i'm dreading having to download Persona 5 Royal in a few days.

i think the highest i've seen my internet go on my PS4 is ~140Mb/s which is a joke and not near what i actually get on my PC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
lol. PSN never makes full use of my internet speeds at the best of times so i'm dreading having to download Persona 5 Royal in a few days.
I'm currently facing the same issue, I was going to pick up my CE for Persona 5 Royal but my local EBgames closed down, so I have no choice but go digital.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But isn't that going to be problem for people who no longer can buy games from stores and need to rely on digital copy?
No, the main issue here are the mandatory patches for mandatory online only games.

lol

Imagine playing those!

Yeah psn working as intended.....and this is off peak

Would take me about half an hour for a similar size file on pc or Xbox
YnYuyc6.jpg

zcaa0g

Banned
But isn't that going to be problem for people who no longer can buy games from stores and need to rely on digital copy?

There's a difference between "slowing down" and "stopping". I feel sorry for people who still use physical media.

ruvikx

Banned
Me too. That's why I don't understand all of these "I'm impressed they can make it slower" comments. I bet all of those comments are from people who don't even own a PS system, because they don't know what they are talking about. I've lived all over the country in the past 10 years, and I've never had any issues downloading from PSN. Just downloaded the 44 GB Assassin's Creed Origin in 17 minutes.

Come to the south west of France & see how much you enjoy waiting a full day for a 44 gb game. The download speeds you speak of are science-fiction in this part of the world.

JSoup

Banned
Never understood all the download complaining.
Do you people just sit in front of your downloads like it's a wavefunction that will collapse if you don't stare at it?
Normal people set something to download and fuck off to their lives.

Enjay

Banned
PSNow has gome from usable in my house to impossible (gives me my 20 second warning and then disconnects not 10 minutes into any game) so I'm guesssing that understandably had to be throttled as well. Not gonna bother trying to try out predator this weekend.

prag16

Banned
Lmao. They're speeds are already trash. Steam and Origin max out my broadband, while PSN struggles to hit 25%, even when wired. (Don't get me started on their absolutely embarrassing wireless adapter.)

Keihart

This sounds stupid, unless PSN servers aren't able to manage the load, connection should be allowed to get stressed to it's fullest. that's what you pay for. Internet it's not going to go down because of it.
Instead of capping acces speeds in general, ISPs should be giving essential services higher QoS and just let all the regular clients cap those connections as intended in peak hours, networks are already build to support network traffic at it's highest point because this happens every day at least once a day.

This just sounds as measures to save money, from ISP on international traffic and from PSN on their data centers, in this case.

Come to the south west of France & see how much you enjoy waiting a full day for a 44 gb game. The download speeds you speak of are science-fiction in this part of the world.

I feel your pain, my French gaming brother. Hopefully, the slow internet service in your area will be a thing of the past, sooner rather than later. Cheers!

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know what to tell you...
20200328-104811.jpg

As I already said, if your internet is already dogshit then expect slow speeds.

Yeah, people are not very scientific about this stuff.

There are times where a download tells me it's going to take forever. I reset my modem, and suddenly it says 10 minutes. A lot of this has to do with shitty ISPs giving us shitty hardware like Spectrum, Cox, ect.

Skyfox

This is stupid SJW thinking. Real response is to HELP people stay at home, not slow internet services down.

Glad I didn't renew my psplus a few days ago.

At least my xbox hasn't dropped the ball.

Armorian

Banned
20200328-104811.jpg

1Gb/s internet. Wi-Fi 2.4GHz speed:

2ayOfpn.jpg

Ethernet:

euHDlla.jpg

Predator Demo:

U6Q6qfP.jpg

So in Poland PSN still works ok I guess. Windows Store on the other hand hard limits speed to ~5MB/s (40Mb/s), I think Steam has some limit as well.

kareemna

I have a Samsung 860 Evo 1tb in my PS4 Pro. Doesn't take full advantage of it, but it still beats the 5400rpm hard drive it shipped with.

For this reasons i go the QVO, cheaper and it doesnt take full advantage but due to the nature of HDD it will get worn out easily especially that we have electrical outages here.

20200328-104811.jpg

Not really true. I have 350Mbit download and PSN rarely comes anywhere near that. It's more that it's a gamble of which CDN you get the files from, sometimes it's okay, most of the time it's terrible.

Top Bottom