• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Submits Trademark For Arc the Lad

Some Nobody

Thinking about this alittle more, and the possibilities seem fairly interesting. I remember Sony talking about farming out their IP to indies previously (similar to what happened with Shadow of the beast). Its entirely possible that Sony could allow a western studio take a crack at an IP like this thats been dormant for so long.

Im not sure of which studio could pick it up so I have no guesses there, but if this turns out to be happening its not impossible it could be revealed at the VGX event depending on who is developing it.

I also remember Shahid saying something about the Alundra making a comeback awhile ago, but he would not give any further details on what he ment by that.

Quick Google search indicates all he did was ask about Alundra. Though personally if Sony was going to moneyhat something I'd rather it be Suikoden (which was mentioned in the same tweet, but him saying that it got a lot of fan responses). And VGX seems more for "big" games, something like this would be mentioned at E3.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are we sure it's not just related to some rerelease of the ps1 game?

For some reason from this gif
W2Y2O.gif

i was expecting something like this:

Maybe they are the same person after different years of training? Lol

Yuterald

If Alundra makes a comeback I'd be immeasurably happy.

I couldn't deal with this...Alundra 3 directed by Yasuhiro Ohori, music by Kouhei Tanaka (and the rest of the old team) would make me... =*<(

That's the thing though. Without the original team members that made these games so great, it would most likely be a sequel in name only. All these dudes have probably left the scene, went mobile (like the Wild ARMs creator) or have moved on to other things. I wish we lived in a world where Cerny could just contact these guys, get their original teams together (or at least most of the key people), give them a reasonable budget and let them have at it. If only things were that simple... =(

Are we at the point with Sony where average games become good because of nostalgia? I'd take Legend of Dragoon or Wild Arms or Dark cloud reboots before Arc the Lad. Demons Souls above all

I haven't played Arc the Lad, but All those others you mention were good games, with lots of potential to improve and expand in sequels.

fertygo

Twilight of the Spirits was really good, love the double protag approach.. although actually only Darc that worth a shit.

I am thrilled to see so much love for Wild ARMs in this thread. Truly my favorite game of all time, really sunk he JRPG genre into my soul and gave an appreciation for long story driven games, wonderful music, (seriously, the OST for this game is amazing), side quests and hidden treasures and the like. I would do anything for more of this series. Hell more JRPGs in general, and so I'm not.mad if Arc the Lad turns out to be true.

Still, I've tweeted Gio, Shu, anyone I could possibly find and still no word. Apparently one of the conductors for the original WA was working on a game but that was years ago...

I need it.

But nothing like Wild ARMs XF. That battle system was ass. Totally annoyed me throughout the game.

If they wanna make it SRPG, make it like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sigh...what I would do for a new Wild ARMs.

Tl ;Dr - I would suck some major
hotdog
if it meant a new Wild ARMs would come out.

If Alundra makes a comeback I'd be immeasurably happy.

Agreed. One of my favourite games ever. I love it more than even the Zelda games, and I think it would be perfect as a 2D digital series at a £15/$20 price point. Heck, it'd be perfect as a series for the Vita.

This and Dark Cloud and Demon's Souls would force force me into buying a PS4. I love new IPs most of all, but bringing back dormant much-loved IPs is the next best thing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I played the hell out of this series in my teens. Have the collectors game box. Holy shit. If they're touching on Arc the Lad that has to mean Wild Arms is being considered too.

Maedhros

Recently someone posted rumors of Sony outsourcing their older IPs to indie studios... hopefully we'll see a comeback of many older titles.

Recently someone posted rumors of Sony outsourcing their older IPs to indie studios... hopefully we'll see a comeback of many older titles.

That would actually be a great way to bring back some old franchises. I think someone like Zeboyd would do an amazing job with Wild ARMs, or give Alundra to Climax Entertainment (not actually sure if this is a Sony IP).

ReaperXL7

That would actually be a great way to bring back some old franchises. I think someone like Zeboyd would do an amazing job with Wild ARMs, or give Alundra to Climax Entertainment (not actually sure if this is a Sony IP).

Sony does own the IP for Alundra, along with Arc, Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, and Wild Arms.

They have quite a few RPG IPs that they have let sit for a long time. I honestly would not mind if Sony hand picked some devs (indie or otherwise) to bring some of these IP back. Its just a matter of getting the right developers for each IP.

E92 M3

Sweet, sweet Working Designs - you will be remembered. I love my Arc collection and can't wait to see what Sony has planned.

ReaperXL7

Not sure if I'm with you, Sony. You're sitting on much better IPs than this.

Well im not ready to believe that Sony is reviving these ip just yet, but "if" they were bringing back something like Arc the Lad, I would think that its easy to assume they are at least considering others aswell.

If its true that Sony are allowing indie devs access to their dormant back catalog it could just be a matter of waiting until a dev comes along that wants to tackle the IP.

This could more importantly be a sign that Sony is interested in seeing some of these franchises given new life, but we should wait to see if this even turns out to be a real thing and not Sony just renewing the Trademark just because.

Footos22

Dear Sony, when you're done with Arc the Lad, please go back to this and make a third (better) game.

I picked up duel saga as a impulse buy when i bought the original kingdom hearts. Didnt know what the hell it was it just looked awesome from back of the case.

I fucking loved it.

GIVE ME MOREEE

Well im not ready to believe that Sony is reviving these ip just yet, but "if" they were bringing back something like Arc the Lad, I would think that its easy to assume they are at least considering others aswell.

If its true that Sony are allowing indie devs access to their dormant back catalog it could just be a matter of waiting until a dev comes along that wants to tackle the IP.

This could more importantly be a sign that Sony is interested in seeing some of these franchises given new life, but we should wait to see if this even turns out to be a real thing and not Sony just renewing the Trademark just because.

I agree with you - I tend to be cynical in order to avoid being disappointed. However, do we know if this Arc trademark is a renewal, or a re-trademark of one that expired? If this is housekeeping then fair enough, but it would be odd to recreate the trademark years after the old one expired if there's not a specific reason.

Also, didn't Yoshida direct or was it produce The Legend of Dragoon? You'd think if they're bring back old RPGs that he'd be wanting to push that as one of their main ones.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Are we at the point with Sony where average games become good because of nostalgia? I'd take Legend of Dragoon or Wild Arms or Dark cloud reboots before Arc the Lad. Demons Souls above all

The irony in this statement being that Legend of Dragoon is the worst RPG mentioned in this topic.

Elvick

Banned
I don't know that Zeboyd could do Wild Arms. Not that I don't love what they do.

I just don't see Wild Arms in 2D. And I don't know that they'd be able to do a 3D RPG at this time.

Not indie, but I think they should contract CyberConnect2 to revive Wild Arms. How amazing would it look? CC2 does such amazing cell shading work.

Maybe they could even mimic the battle system of Wild Arms 3, but make it like Ni no Kuni, where you can actually manually move yourself around... ugg, that'd be soo good.

Why have I done this to myself. D:

Top Bottom