• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sucks at OS design

scakko84

I really like XMB. Regarding PSVita i don't like the bubbles, the whole curl to close and how multitasking app are presented but the os is fast enough for me to skip over those things.

Yoday

I like but don't love the XMB. It is simple, but it lacks style. I didn't like the Vita UI at first, but it grew on me pretty quickly. At first it seemed really odd, but as I used it more and more, it felt good for a touch screen UI. We haven't seen enough of the PS4 UI to really get a feel for it, but it looks good from what I have seen. It looks like a more stylish facebook like setup, which I think is smart of Sony considering how used to that style of page design a lot of people are.

On the other end of things I despise the current 360 UI, as it is built for advertising, not for player use, and the XBone UI looks like it is going to be more or less the same thing.

I hate the XMB. Some say it's minimalist, I disagree. Once you get past looking at the thing, and start trying to use it, it's just clunky, it takes too much time to load and freezes up weirdly. Very unintuitive. You can't just pick it up and "use it" if you want to do anything other than play the disc you just put in. The PSN store is even worse. I can't blame Sony for bad OS on systems that you rarely even saw the things on (and I even sort of enjoyed the PS2 OS.) The only thing that makes it even a little excusable for holding on to such an annoying OS for 8 years is the horror that was/is turning on the Wii (I haven't messed around on a Wii U much so I can't say anything there.) As of now the 360 has a better OS, minus the advertisements.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm become very fond of the XMB, I would love a next-gen XMB with seamless animations
PS2's was nice too

Jack cw

I'm become very fond of the XMB, I would love a next-gen XMB with seamless animations
PS2's was nice too

Yes please! I love the minimalist design of XMB and like the Vita approach. Ist pretty modern and as supercharched like that 360 UI...

Splint

XMB is great for me but I feel it looks to boring/plain if you dont have a theme/wallpaper. Usually people shitting on it put the 2006 version with the default background. If the Ps3 had more RAM, the in-game XMB would have been amazing.

Corto

Fast, responsive and intuitive. That's what makes a good UI. None of those characteristics can be determined from screenshots.

XMB rules. The problems with the PS3 UI is not because of bad design, but bad hardware. If they had the exact same UI, but made it snappy, with no load-screens or waiting periods, then it'd be perfect.

It's well-tailored to a D-pad control, everything is neat and where it should be. I love it.

ThreeBeta

The thing that annoys me the most in both of the PS3 & Vita OS is the lack of Languages support.
How hard is it to support UTF-8 encoding? why can't I read webpages in Hebrew?

I'm not asking for full system translation (i.e the whole OS menus and text in Hebrew) but I would like to open webpage written in my native language and to be able to read it.

Horrible....

Knuf

Sony sucked at designing many devices it sells.
And for a hardware company, that's even more unacceptable.

They should find whoever designed this:

SEGASaturnmenu.jpg

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I approve this thread.

DanielJr82

I agree. I never cared for the Playstation operating systems. The PS4 one doesn't look that much sleeker either. Xbox definitely trumps Playstation in this regard.

Would have said they were on the right track before they released their abomination of redesigned store ui.

Now I am slightly worried about how the PS4 OS will look and function.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't get the hate for the vita ui, it's perfect for a touchscreen, it's fast, it's comfortable and it lets you keep everything in a single page... What's better?
Sony should only give more and smaller icons in a single page and no icon limits in general.

Sakujou

Banned
Compared to what? The PS1 looks bad, but the PS2 and 3 look great IMO, and 3 is the best OS out of all the current generation consoles by far

you fucking serious???
even the wii menu was better.
the cross media bar sucks super hard.

and whats the worst: the sony OS using it during a game is a terribad thing: because you cant use it at all without waiting for hours until something works....

ps1 and ps2 werent UIs at all.
vitas OS is nice, but if you get more than 2 screens full of icons, it gets a but complicated. thanks to files where you cant kind of sort your icons it got a bit better.
maybe the best UI from sony coz of the fluidness.

Eh. I like the XMB. It's better then the Wii's UI but not quite up there with the 360's. It's only really the loading times that's an issue and I like that its more intuitively laid out. On the 360 I feel like I've got to dig through a lot of crap before I get to where I want but it is more aesthetically pleasing. The load times for the XMB are a massive problem though.

shandy706

Hey now!

The Vita OS is awesome (with folders). Best OS Sony has made now. I bet I can get to any game faster on it than any other OS shown :p

raven777

I don't get the hate for the vita ui, it's perfect for a touchscreen, it's fast, it's comfortable and it lets you keep everything in a single page... What's better?
Sony should only give more and smaller icons in a single page and no icon limits in general.

the only problem I have with the UI design is how the bubbles seems a little bit big, and has AA problem. I also hate the fact that when you set an image as a wallpaper, the quality drops significantly.

Bedlam

I'm not saying it couldn't be better but I prefer the XMB and the PS4 menu vastly over the Metro shit that gives me eye-cancer and seizures whenever I turn on my 360.

Respawn

Banned
The PS3 OS is horrible because it freezes constantly and once you start getting a good amount of content in the menu it takes forever to load.

Don't get me started on the newer apps like the store and youtube. Complete trash.

This must be a personal thing because if this was the norm there would have been a bigger outcry.

Markadias

Banned
Well this has certainly split opinion...

I like the xmb... Its good for the job. Not advert infested, responsive. The store is slow, I'll give you that.

The Vita OS is bloody good in my opinion!
Super slick, easy to use. It may look basic but it certainly does the job, and does it well.

IvorB

The PS3 interface was simply the best until they blighted it with that odious Singstar ad. Seriously Sony, that thing is f**king annoying. Please allow me to remove it.

Vashetti

Banned
The PS3 interface was simply the best until they blighted it with that odious Singstar ad. Seriously Sony, that thing is f**king annoying. Please allow me to remove it.

It's an app for our NA brethren. They download it out of choice from the PS Store.

Us lucky sods have it right there, all the time.

IvorB

It's an app for our NA brethren. They download it out of choice from the PS Store.

Us lucky sods have it right there, all the time.

It's really annoying. The worst thing is the cursor will default to selecting that as soon as you boot up. So the whole screen is filled with Singstar until you can move the cursor. :-(

Jaxter09

Vita OS is amazingly responsive and intuitive; the best feature is being able to bring up a walkthrough faster than alt tabbing on a PC game.

wizzbang

Banned
XMB was sleek as fuck, PS2 UI had its own charms about it too.

Yep, XMB won awards - sleek, simple - not stupid shit. I don't want flashy garbage, the XMB is the best user interface I've used for something not a computer, ever.

Op is being ridiculous, if anything the PS4 UI looks like a step backwards to me, cluttered shit like MS.

sono

I think the op seems to be referring to UI design and shows how the UI has changed significantly over the various generations of playstation, but doesnt really explain what the issues are with any particular one ?

From my perspective, the PS3 OS seems generally fine to me, with two exceptions:

a. the process of patching is cumbersome, and frequently I download a new game or app from PSN, start it and then find I have to download further large patches sometimes large then the original install

b. the webbrowser (ok not really OS, but probably relies on its features), has taken an age to get to something that is improved but still slow and doesnt work everywhere (e.g does not show current version of NeoGaf top left graphic correctly)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You nuts brother? XMB is one of my favorite console front end designs since the history of forever. Clean as hell, easy to navigate and absolutely beautiful.

Enordash

My response as well. Main reason why I stuck with PS3.

Really? This is literally the MAIN reason you stuck with the PS3? Were the ads so obtrusive that they hindered your use of the UI? You literally never have to highlight an ad block ever on the Metro UI. I don't understand what's so offensive about them. Someone tell me.

Ocelott

Really? This is literally the MAIN reason you stuck with the PS3? Were the ads so obtrusive that they hindered your use of the UI? You literally never have to highlight an ad block ever on the Metro UI. I don't understand what's so offensive about them. Someone tell me.

Mostly likely because you pay for Xbox Live and you still are getting tons of ads.

As a UI goes, the XMB is one of the best, the Vita less so. However, as an actual OS, the Vita stomps all over the PS3. How many other consoles can make a Skype call whilst playing a game?

Evilisk

Damn, just got a nostalgia rush from the first two images in OP.

Also honestly, I was fine with the XMB and have no problem with how the PS4 is looking.

Top Bottom