• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

AniHawk

good.

Microsoft gonna have to pull off a miracle if they want to push that now, there doesn't seem to be any 3rd party favorism going on either judging by the conference. though maybe that's why EA wasn't there, lol.

if you want medal of honor, dante's inferno, or army of two, there will only be one place to get them.

Psi

Great to hear. I'm very curious to see how MS will respond to all of this if the rumors about no used games and always online are true.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn good point. They were the only ones to point out the 8gb of ram.

It is really strange to think that these consoles might end up being so different. Hard to imagine Sony not doing this, but Microsoft going full steam ahead with it. Of course, they may be planning to march to the beat of their own drum kind of like Nintendo and we may see a very different kind of generation this time around.

fvng

Rl0h13i.jpg

Biggest announcement comes after event? Sounds like playstation is just gonna copy Nintendo from here on out. First copying controllers, then Wii Music, and then announcing best part of conference a la Pikmin 3.
But in all seriousness thank goodness I was scared I'd be skipping this generation of gaming.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That would be a block then.

He never said anything about it not blocking used games. He seemed to not be sure how to answer the question and his response was:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

Which isn't a denial that it will not block them. He only says it can play used games.

Not at all. I expect both Sony and MS will implement an activation code system.

No reason to "block" used games when you can instead make money off them.

Yeah, I see this as being the most likely scenario since it was well-tested this gen with all of the efforts by publishers to keep people hanging onto their copies with up-front content schedules or seasons (with passes) to lessen the trade-in effect and get more revenue per sale. An outright block always seemed unrealistic with every major retail partner selling used and taking trade-ins.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So, Microsoft banking on the support of publishers, Sony on consumers?

They should push this point heavily in the marketing if Microsoft block used games.

So MS lost the ram amount card and may have just lost all their cards if the anti-used games rumor for them is true.

God damn, great night for Sony.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yeah that's a good question. I really expected EA to show some Battlefield. I think a lot of people expected it. Maybe this is MS secret weapon?

I'm venturing a guess that EA isn't really ready to show anything until E3. Most companies aren't.

He never said anything about it not blocking used games. He seemed to not be sure how to answer the question and his response was:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

Which isn't a denial that it will not block them. He only says it can play used games.
He expects people to use the disc everywhere, how can they when it has this made up block?

Rhindle

Yeah, I see this as being the most likely scenario since it was well-tested this gen with all of the efforts by publishers to keep people hanging onto their copies with up-front content schedules or seasons (with passes) to lessen the trade-in effect and get more revenue per sale. An outright block always seemed unrealistic with every major retail partner selling used and taking trade-ins.
The EDGE article that people keep citing doesn't even say that MS will block used game sales. It just implies that you'll need to purchase a new activation code to play them.

That answer was NOT what I was looking for. In fact, it seems oddly guarded, as if an unlock code might be necessary for some games.

I hope to be wrong (not for my sake, because this stuff shouldn't matter to me) though. His answer actually made me more worried than I was before.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ball is in MS's court now

exactly. I'll actually be able to vote with my money on this issue it appears. I'd be surprised if EDGE got this wrong.

I hope they got it wrong, I'm invested in the MS ecosystem, so I hope MS doesn't dick me on this.

The EDGE article that people keep citing doesn't even say that MS will block used game sales. It just implies that you'll need to purchase a new activation code to play them.

Their words were, shut out and rule out the second hand market. I don't see anything about activation codes.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
He expects people to use the disc everywhere, how can they when it has this made up block?

Have you heard about their streaming technology? They talked about it a lot. That would certainly allow you to play your games anywhere.

If they were unilaterally going to allow used games then why say only "you can play used games" instead of saying "we will not blocked used games at all".

That answer was NOT what I was looking for. In fact, it seems oddly guarded, as if an unlock code might be necessary for some games.

I hope to be wrong (not for my sake, because this stuff shouldn't matter to me) though. His answer actually made me more worried than I was before.

This.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
The people who thought Sony would block used games are idiots. The people expecting SONY to make a comment on their conference of this are even bigger idiots.

Top Bottom