• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

IrishNinja

Maybe this is why EA didn't show any games ;)

haha, damn

If MS does block games, and it becomes popular amongst devs and publishers, will Sony firmware patch it in?

you know...it's shitty i can't rule this out.
there's stuff that seemed like deal-breakers here on GAF (ie, if sony would've started charging for online mid-gen), but then stripping out BC and other features wasn't, so it's hard to say. with all the work sony's clearly putting into sway developers, if MS hypothetically does this & sees more support as a result, i think anything's possible.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That's true. We absolutely know nothing concrete. Though, that Edge article is looking more and more legit.

Problem we're having here is that even if it were legit at the time we have no idea what might change by the final product.

For instance the set top box Xbox 720 was in fact true but was dropped, confirmed by Paul Thurrott.

Also on top of everything just because they have a good source of info inside Sony doesn't mean their Microsoft source is as good.

So if Sony follows through with this, there would be two possible responses from MS:

1- They follow suit, situation cancels itself out

2- They go through with banning used games on their system, using it aggressively to pressure third parties and secure deals. They lose face as a company in the eyes of some, but most won't care when they get exclusive maps and shit.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Sony is doing everything exceptionally well. They have a history of getting smart people in control of the company when things go poorly, and getting mad off success. Basically a lite version of Apple but with business management instead of just Jobs.

Anyone calling winners in this thread are showing their true colors.

We know absolutely nothing about the Xbox 720 yet that is concrete so thanks for calling winners.

No evidence? Sony has a actual patent to do it I'd call that evidence.

As it is there is no real evidence other than rumors that Microsoft is doing it.

That's the important fact, no evidence they are implementing it. Patent has nothing to do with PS4 according to them anyway.

Sounds great. I prefer the thrill of removing the shrinkwrap myself and taking that first whiff, though I would never approve of the used option being taken away from the overall equation, much like the majority of us, I would assume.

Make sure you guys realize...Yoshida officially said:

"So, used games can play on PS4."

That could mean "Used games can play WITH REPERCUSSIONS," with any kind of online pass system, etc.

It's not 100% confirmed that used games are fully playable just like new ones, so temper your excitement for the time being.

Le-mo

These exact same rumors were around before PS3 was announced... bullshit then and bullshit now, no surprise.
I don't think there was ever a rumor that Sony was going to block used games on the PS4. Microsoft is a different story.

Cipherr

GG!

Alrighty, barring a ridiculous price of the PS4, I think Im gonna hedge my extremely safe bet that Sony takes next gens console race. Likely by a large margin.

lmao. Is he pressed?

Oh he is definitely pressed. MS probably just mad because they didn't get to see the box so they could copy some shit. Haters gonna hate.

Seik

Banned
I've been waiting to hear this. Great news!

I still can't believe the next Xbox won't play used game.

Seriously, the number of customers they will lose with this shit is gigantic!

ari

Banned
GG!

Alrighty, barring a ridiculous price of the PS4, I think Im gonna hedge my extremely safe bet that Sony takes next gens console race. Likely by a large margin
Holy fucking shit. You have no idea what or why MS choosed to go last, let alone know what they have to offer. Lol

That could mean "Used games can play WITH REPERCUSSIONS," with any kind of online pass system, etc.

It's not 100% confirmed that used games are fully playable just like new ones, so temper your excitement for the time being.

What the fuck am I reading?

GG!

Alrighty, barring a ridiculous price of the PS4, I think Im gonna hedge my extremely safe bet that Sony takes next gens console race. Likely by a large margin.

Oh he is definitely pressed. MS probably just mad because they didn't get to see the box so they could copy some shit. Haters gonna hate.

The hyperbole is off the charts here. If it's such a safe bet then invest all of your savings in Sony's stock tomorrow.

Hopefully Sony sticks to this and Microsoft follows suit to support the consumers instead of the publishers.

Seik

Banned

Well, I'm not sure about that.

My guess on this is that it will literally play used games. Kaz must've heard about what M$ was planning about the next xbox and decided to play the right cards.

The thing is, I think that it's there's some developers (EA, Activision and the likes) that will at least try to replicate the 'no used games' on the PS4 with some kind of on-software DRM.

Personally I hope that these 'games', if such thing would ever happen, will bomb hard. :mad:

whitehawk

Banned
whitehawk.gif
Haha yes. My GIF is doing well. So far Sony is kicking ass and taking names.

Notice how he had to consult his advisor when asked. I think there's more to this story that is being left out

For example, "You can play used games on ps4" does not mean "you can play used games on ps4" at no additional charge"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think the real reason is people just couldn't believe MS was doing it on their own, so they put Sony in with no evidence, the other theory was if Sony was alone with allowing used games there would be a third party collusion to give no support, but it looks like everyone is on board for the PS4.

The rumour was first attributed to the PS4 back in March of last year, not the Xbox.

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

Into

Sony and Nintendo would never blocked used games simply because of the culture in their homeland and how big used games are there.

Glad to hear that nonetheless

mr2xxx

Banned
I'm sure GameStop will do everything in their power to make PS4 the dominant console if Xbox is anti-used games .

mocoworm

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

This does not mean used games are not blocked. All it tells us is that used games will run. It could very well be after a re-activation fee is charged to the new owner and the publisher gets more coin.

If he had to ask his PR person on what the answer was then it CLEARLY is a question they have prepared for and have a PR friendly answer for. If the answer was 'yeah, sure. Why wouldn't used games work?' then they wouldn't have needed a PR person to step in.

womfalcs3

Banned

That is likely and it would be fine. Sony already has the online pass process. It is only logical that those who buy the game used pay a small fee to access the online infrastructure that is being maintained (at a cost) by the publisher.

Good deal, but I don't think it's gonna be as black and white as people think. I think if you buy a used game from gamestop you'll have to pay a fee to activate it on your machine like an online pass currently does. You'll still be able to play it, but it won't completely block you like the 720 is rumored to be doing.

I'm not totally against this. I won't be fucking happy about it, but it seems like a fair middle ground.

then again, it all depends on the price of the online pass. I could see EA and Activision charging close to retail to game the system. Just because they have only been 9.99 so far doesn't mean they alway will be.

Sony and Nintendo would never blocked used games simply because of the culture in their homeland and how big used games are there.

Glad to hear that nonetheless

I thought used games and rentals were flat out banned in Japan at one point. Are they still banned there?

EDIT: Nope I'm wrong, it's only rentals.

MCD

I thought used games and rentals were flat out banned in Japan at one point. Are they still banned there?

Went to Japan two weeks ago. Used stuff is huge there. They had like, a whole floor dedicated to used games, anime, books, toys, movies etc...

If MS does somehow think blocking used games is a good idea, I hope consumers will show them how wrong they are by voting with their wallets.

Top Bottom