• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

this is now the inferior version of that gif

we need the klazzic one

also great news, Sony knows alienating customers before launch is a bad idea
i9Xaak9KOubja.gif

here ya go

Have you heard about their streaming technology? They talked about it a lot. That would certainly allow you to play your games anywhere.

If they were unilaterally going to allow used games then why say only "you can play used games" instead of saying "we will not blocked used games at all".
But he said pass it on to other consumers, you sound like you're doing gymnastics here.

Zeliard

Can't say I'm too comfortable that it's gotten to the point where we applaud companies for not doing clearly reprehensible things.

Rhindle

Their words were, shut out and rule out the second hand market. I don't see anything about activation codes.
That statement is the EDGE writer jumping to conclusions. The only factual statement in the article is that games will ship with activation codes, which are single use only.

I expect Sony to do the same. Anyone thinking that Sony and MS are going to implement radically different economic models that somehow co-exist is smoking dope.

Soi-Fong

Why? They are the only ones to charge for online multiplayer? They get away with it too. The Xbox fanbase doesn't seem to care about their money very much.

Yup. I saw a lot of gaffers in the Destiny thread who were also fine with always-online. These were 360 gaffers also. Not that surprising.

The EDGE article that people keep citing doesn't even say that MS will block used game sales. It just implies that you'll need to purchase a new activation code to play them.
I haven't read the article, but I do know that, for a lot of gamers on forums, that may as well signal anti-used because it means they aren't really getting the used games for much less than new. Stock cameras with the new consoles probably means QR codes for activation tied to an online account and when an account tries to play a game not already registered to them, it will prompt them to purchase a product activation or lose whatever the game has locked off, whether it be online features or, perhaps, the entire game. So, technically, it won't block used games/rentals/borrowed copies ever, but it will give the publisher a guaranteed slice of every game with a requirement of, at least, one-time online activation to register the product to their account.

Yup. I saw a lot of gaffers in the Destiny thread who were also fine with always-online. These were 360 gaffers also. Not that surprising.
To be fair, I've also seen quite a few comments from 360 owners (hell I was one of them) ready to jump ship if the rumors became reality.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
But he said pass it on to other consumers, you sound like you're doing gymnastics here.

Nope, I sound like he didn't give a unilateral denial of anything. You're inferring this conclusion based on somewhat vague comments.

Anyway, we'll find out eventually. I just think if he meant there were no restrictions on used games at all he should have said that, instead of making simply saying that you can play used games on the PS4.

That statement is the EDGE writer jumping to conclusions. The only factual statement in the article is that games will ship with activation codes, which are single use only.

I expect Sony to do the same. Anyone thinking that Sony and MS are going to implement radically different economic models that somehow co-exist is smoking dope.
They're all rumors, some that you personally choose to believe and others you write off as jumping to conclusions. The console makers already have big differences in economic models.

Blades64

Banned
Next Box dead on arrival if rumors are true...

Only thing that stung me was no BC. I was hoping so I wouldn't have to buy a PS3 over...

Eusis

It would certainly seem so. Unless Microsoft is really fucking dumb.
It might prove the idea they don't consider Sony a rival anymore though. Which I think would be a very, very bad mistake as you'd be having a very small, not-so-picky niche left: people that want consoles for all their advantages and at full power will want the PS4, people who don't care about used games but want power will go for a PC, and casual gamers who are fine with full digital would probably go for tablets instead. Leaving... Halo and Gears fans for Xbox? And I'm operating under the assumption very few people are really all that loyal, as the NES->SNES/Genesis->PS1/PS2->Xbox/Wii showed quite well.

Soi-Fong

That's a two way street.

How about we give Sony the benefit of the doubt and just take their word? People are saying activation code, yet denying the Edge rumor.

People are selectively choosing what is "good news" for their console of choice. Can't have it that way.

Can't also have people assume things (which you are doing).

Swifty

I think you guys should thank Japan for this. They're not that big on digital distribution so releasing a console with no disc drive there would have been suicide.

vivftp

This is my first console launch where I actually cared about what was going on and I must say based on peoples reactions to the hardware being presented and the way Sony is handling everything, this seems to be about as perfect as Sony fans could have hoped it to be.

The only tick against would be the whole backwards compatability thing, but no one could have seriously expected that due to the different architectures in the consoles. IMO Sony is doing everything perfectly so far and I will be proud to buy a PS4 on launch. I didn't own a PS3 or Vita until a year ago and have been loving the experience since.

This is my first console launch where I actually cared about what was going on and I must say based on peoples reactions to the hardware being presented and the way Sony is handling everything, this seems to be about as perfect as Sony fans could have hoped it to be.

The only tick against would be the whole backwards compatability thing, but no one could have seriously expected that due to the different architectures in the consoles. IMO Sony is doing everything perfectly so far and I will be proud to buy a PS4 on launch. I didn't own a PS3 or Vita until a year ago and have been loving the experience since.

We may not have native backwards compatibility, but the PS4 allows you to stream PS1, PS2 and PS3 games using Gaikai. Not sure if it requires a paid subscription to PS+ yet, but it probably does.

IrishNinja

absolutely fantastic news, feel good supporting this practice. well done here sony! alleviate my paranoia with region locking and you're gonna have a winner here

This is it. This also means

- No DRM
- No single use code
- No F**g always online!

I'm SOO HAPPY :D

i wanna back this, but how do you surmise all 3 from just this? wait shit i should read the link in the OP shouldnt i

Ahasverus

i wanna back this, but how do you surmise all 3 from just this? wait shit i should read the link in the OP shouldnt i

I'm just being an optimistic, but if you can play used games, you must only put the used disc in the tray don't you? How an always online would work in that case?

Not surprised. The amount of belief that gathered behind this rumour is what was shocking.
I think the real reason is people just couldn't believe MS was doing it on their own, so they put Sony in with no evidence, the other theory was if Sony was alone with allowing used games there would be a third party collusion to give no support, but it looks like everyone is on board for the PS4.

yami4ct

And with this, the Playstation 4 solidified itself as my main console for next gen. The clean interface, great share tech, and awesome slate of first and 3rd party devs has me on board. Microsoft not only needs to match the hardware to get me, but they need to un-ruin the Xbox interface and give me some great exclusives to care about. I may get a next-gen Xbox eventually, but it seems like PS4 will be my first choice.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
YES! Being able to play used/borrowed games is really important to me so I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief right now. Whew.

IrishNinja

I'm just being an optimistic, but if you can play used games, you must only put the used disc in the tray don't you? How an always online would work in that case?

true, i'm getting things mixed up in my head, like DD titles (Final Fight for one), where always online was still present, sadly

klee123

Guess Gamestop should be overjoyed by this news. Now they can gouge customers by selling used versions of games for $55!

MrMephistoX

Cool but if I were in charge of marketing I wouldn't have revealed this yet: I'd assume MS could still chose to remove the used game block now at this point if it exists.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That strange feeling you have is you melting down. Your true colors are showing, be careful.

Anyone calling winners in this thread are showing their true colors.

So MS lost the ram amount card and may have just lost all their cards if the anti-used games rumor for them is true.

God damn, great night for Sony.

We know absolutely nothing about the Xbox 720 yet that is concrete so thanks for calling winners.

I think the real reason is people just couldn't believe MS was doing it on their own, so they put Sony in with no evidence, the other theory was if Sony was alone with allowing used games there would be a third party collusion to give no support, but it looks like everyone is on board for the PS4.

No evidence? Sony has a actual patent to do it I'd call that evidence.

As it is there is no real evidence other than rumors that Microsoft is doing it.

Soi-Fong

Anyone calling winners in this thread are showing their true colors.

We know absolutely nothing about the Xbox 720 yet that is concrete so thanks for calling winners.

That's true. We absolutely know nothing concrete. Though, that Edge article is looking more and more legit.

Top Bottom