• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We’re committed to big, spectacular experiences with story and characters at the core

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
They are pushing the envelope as far as quality, quantity and different game types for sure, name a dev/publisher that has larger range or even close? I can't think of any. That doesn't mean you have to like these games.... not all of them are my cup of tea - which is kind of the point, but the types of genres not represented are more represented by third parties, imo.

But beside that.... if people are saying all of the games are the same... I'm really confused... how in the fuck is Spider-Man remotely similar to Days Gone (not directed at you) other than they're both open world or Bloodborne or GT Sports or Dreams? They have a good range of different genres, imo, that doesn't mean I like them all.
Sony has ZERO range in their games. Its literally all the same game with different theme.

To answer your question Spider man and Days gone are both open world third person action games with a heavy emphasis on story. Take away the open world, and focus solely on gun combat, and you have TLoU and Uncharted. Remove guns and add melee and you get God of War.

Different would be if Days Gone was a open world hardcore survival sim that was first person with some multiplayer component.

Different would be if God of War retained its original camera view.

Different would be a WRPG like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Skyrim, or the like.

Different would be a multiplayer focused game like PUBG, or Fortnite. Or even some new concept. Hell Warhawk would be amazingly different for sony right now.

Different would be anything other than a third person action game that takes itself way too seriously.

If you cannot see how similar 90% of Sony's output is then I would have to question your biases.

The two games that are unique in their catalog (Horizon and Bloodborne) are both just rip offs of Zelda and Demon Souls respectively (and they are both still third person action games...lol).

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Sony has ZERO range in their games. Its literally all the same game with different theme.

To answer your question Spider man and Days gone are both open world third person action games with a heavy emphasis on story. Take away the open world, and focus solely on gun combat, and you have TLoU and Uncharted. Remove guns and add melee and you get God of War.

Different would be if Days Gone was a open world hardcore survival sim that was first person with some multiplayer component.

Different would be if God of War retained its original camera view.

Different would be a WRPG like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Skyrim, or the like.

Different would be a multiplayer focused game like PUBG, or Fortnite. Or even some new concept. Hell Warhawk would be amazingly different for sony right now.

Different would be anything other than a third person action game that takes itself way too seriously.

If you cannot see how similar 90% of Sony's output is then I would have to question your biases.

The two games that are unique in their catalog (Horizon and Bloodborne) are both just rip offs of Zelda and Demon Souls respectively (and they are both still third person action games...lol).

Remove my Uncle's balls and you got my Aunt, see they're the same.

So.... Days Gone is the same as Spider Man because they are both open world? What about Zelda.... is Days Gone the same as Zelda? All Zelda did was rip off GTA, they're both open world.

Zelda is a GTA clone because they are both open world games with different themes... for Zelda to be different it would have to play like Angry Birds. (that's basically your stance, well, I can do that with any game)

Nobody is going to compare Spider-Man to Days Gone... not even remotely the same... sure they are both open world..... relatively speaking nothing the same about them. Just because you can name an element that is the same, doesn't make the game the same.... if that is the case all video games are the same... they all have interactive menus.

If you really believe what you wrote, I have to question a ton more about you than that.

Next thing you are going to tell me is all of Sony's VR games are the same... they all require VR.

Last edited:

psygn0sis

Why the fuck are some people so obsessed with whether a Sony game is third person or not? Do you think Microsoft do it better? Let's see...

Big Xbox One third person games:
Crackdown
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Quantum Break
ReCore
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
State of Decay

Big Xbox One first person games:
Halo
Sea of Thieves

Am I missing something? What's the argument again?

Shitting on MS isn't trendy, NeoGAF and Resetera are full of """"""""hardcore""""""""" gamers who shit on Sony because reasons but they have no balls to go against Microsoft or Nintendo because shitting on them don't fullfill their ego.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Their committed to taking your money. Last gen it was everyone whining for independent games supporting smaller studios. Everyone was lying so now it's big budget! We'll return when we need too.

giphy.gif

GHG

I am actually curious what envelope Sony is pushing? The only thing they seem to be pioneering is how to milk a formula and push SJW propaganda.

The last games to "Push the Envelope" where Demon Souls and Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 3 and 4? Just Uncharted 2 but kinda worse.

Last of Us? Uncharted with less climby climby, more zombies and a story that ripped off The Road.

Last of Us 2? SJW Last of Us

God of War? Uncharted and last of us with melee-centric combat.

Bloodborne? Cthulu Demon Souls

Horizon Zero Dawn? Zelda does it better.

Dreams? Didn't microsoft do something similar last gen? Also, why not just develop your game on Unity or UE4? I guess people who want to work harder to develop something and probably not get paid for it will enjoy this one!

Days Gone? Open world Last of Us with a motorcycle.

Spiderman? Feel like I have played this game before somewhere...

Killzone? Forgotten and half assed Halo/Call of Duty amalgamation with almost zero imagination put in.

I am not trying to say these are bad games by the way. Most are good to great games, but to claim Sony are pushing the envelope on anything is just fanboy nonsense. If Sony was pushing the envelope they would be proactive in ALL Genres, and would have a chart topping First Person Shooter, a deep WRPG, some interesting Multiplayer titles (possibly a really polished BR), a fighting game, an MMORPG, and/or a deep RTS game.

This is a horribly immature and reductive post on a number of levels.

Stick to talking about topics you like and are knowledgeable about, because you clearly don't have a clue here.

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool, I've really liked most of their games this gen and I like seeing big devs/Publishers focus on big AAA single player games.
As long as Sony keeps making those I'll keep buying their systems.

I honestly don't get the "all sony games are the same" and ·they are just graphics and story" line of thinking, only makes sense to me if you categorize them into very bread "genres" like third person action/adventure. I personally really liked the gameplay in god of war, Spiderman, Bloodborne, Horizon and Gravity Rush 2 and I don't think any of them felt too much like the others

How in the world is Horizon similar to Zelda?? You've never played a single minute of it if you think that.
Are you one of those Nintendo fanboys who never left the bubble and assumes anything with dungeons and a horse/transportation make it a Zelda clone.
As for Bloodborne no shit Sherlock it's a From Soft game with Miyazaki at the helm and he only made Souls games since DS back in 2008! which by the by is a Sony owned IP!
Just say you don't like 3rd person games by them and move on nobody would give a shit, it's like saying 90% of Nintendo's output are platformers that all look and play alike with the same cartoony art-style and stock no personality characters from the 80's IPs!
Sony sadly have gone for profit over pasison these days, and I think it is due to their Playstation Brand being their buggest money driver these days.
Oh FFS here we go again with the Soul/Soul-less crap.
What defines passion? or is it a code game for " I don't fancy this game but i don't know how so i need to express my dislike for it in the most ambiguous way that tells the reader basically nothing "

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This is a horribly immature and reductive post on a number of levels.

Stick to talking about topics you like and are knowledgeable about, because you clearly don't have a clue here.
LOL! So you don't have a counter-argument so you just call me immature and pat yourself on the back? Thanks for letting me know its pointless to have a discussion with you.

Maybe stick to talking about topics you are knowledgeable about, because clearly you can't back your own arguments up outside of ad-hominem attacks and a false sense of your opinions worth.

Remove my Uncle's balls and you got my Aunt, see they're the same.

So.... Days Gone is the same as Spider Man because they are both open world? What about Zelda.... is Days Gone the same as Zelda? All Zelda did was rip off GTA, they're both open world.

Zelda is also a third person action game with heavy emphasis on story. So yes it is similar, but in Zelda's case at least it has whimsy and, usually, a unique art style to set it apart.

All third person action games with open worlds are similar to me. This includes stuff like assassin's creed as well. These games can differentiate themselves by adding in Sim elements, or cool multiplayer experiences.

Zelda is a GTA clone because they are both open world games with different themes... for Zelda to be different it would have to play like Angry Birds. (that's basically your stance, well, I can do that with any game)

Zelda isn't a GTA Clone. It is a similar in that it is a Third person action game with an emphasis on story)

Nobody is going to compare Spider-Man to Days Gone... not even remotely the same... sure they are both open world..... relatively speaking nothing the same about them. Just because you can name an element that is the same, doesn't make the game the same.... if that is the case all video games are the same... they all have interactive menus.

Both are third person
Both are action games
Both are open world
Both are heavy on the story
Both have RPGLite features
Neither has a multiplayer component
Both have a realistic art style.

Make a game first person and it becomes different... You don't have to change genre to make something seem different. Like I said, adding in Sim elements, First person perspective, cool multiplayer elements, or anything that makes it not a story focused third person action game would help Sony's output differentiate itself.

If you really believe what you wrote, I have to question a ton more about you than that.

Oh, the SDF ad-hominem. Yall are so predictable.

Next thing you are going to tell me is all of Sony's VR games are the same... they all require VR.

You have completely missed my point. These Sony games are all THIRD PERSON ACTION GAMES that are very samey.

You know what would be diversity?

First person Action Games

Third Person Sim Games

Third Person Multiplayer Games

First Person Multiplayer Games

Third Person RPG games

First Person RPG games

RTS games.

To me a game is classified by camera perspective, combat/progression style, Multiplayer support, and Story vs Sim. Everything else is just a theme.

Sorry if that triggers your delicate sensibilities. That is not my intention.

Bold is my response. :D

Last edited:
Oh FFS here we go again with the Soul/Soul-less crap.
What defines passion? or is it a code game for " I don't fancy this game but i don't know how so i need to express my dislike for it in the most ambiguous way that tells the reader basically nothing "

Dude, do you actually look at my post history before you pass judgment that I am hating on the games Sony makes?

I don't care for their newer stuff, but I never said that they were passionless in a sense that these games are made robotically, just that those games have a formula to make profit and take a staple of what works. They aren't what you consider as unique because they follow a staple.

I love a lot of games, but Sony's direction does mean that I ignore those games because I actually played a few and.....shock.....I actually don't like them!!!!! ("Tells the reader basically nothing", I didn't know I was a narrator on this forum! You took it as an offense, don't blame me for how you read it)

For your information, I do like Trails of Cold Steel and Falcom games (That I actually mentioned in my post), so I honestly don't get why you're being pissy about my comment when it was aimed at no one and is a personal opinion of mine (because we all have different tastes). Do you like those games? Good! Doesn't mean I have to.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
LOL! So you don't have a counter-argument so you just call me immature and pat yourself on the back? Thanks for letting me know its pointless to have a discussion with you.

Maybe stick to talking about topics you are knowledgeable about, because clearly you can't back your own arguments up outside of ad-hominem attacks and a false sense of your opinions worth.

Bold is my response. :D

My Uncle is similar to my Aunt as... they both have

- two eyes
- two ears
- two legs
- two arms
- two hands
- ten fingers
- ten toes
- hair on their head
- heck they both even have hair on their chin LOL
- etc. etc. etcl

Your posts make very little sense.... if you think Spider-Man plays like Days Gone.... chances are you haven't played them. I mean anyone can say Checkers is like Zelda they are samey... their both games.

Most people are not going to value your thoughts when you are comparing Spider-Man to Days Gone.... why not Gears of War to Spider-Man? Why not minecraft to Spider-man.

- 3rd person
- one shoots webs, the other one shoots bullets
- they both have melee components
- action adventure
- heavy on story
- both have humanoid type characters

Literally your posts makes very little sense I would imagine to people that played these games. I can have a huge list for any two games to show how they are a like... its easy.

Not one sane person on this planet is going to confuse Spider-man with Days Gone.... this discussion isn't going to go far if you can tell the difference and a very noticeable one.

Last edited:
Dude, do you actually look at my post history before you pass judgment that I am hating on the games Sony makes?

I don't care for their newer stuff, but I never said that they were passionless, just that those games have a formula to make profit.

I love a lot of games, but Sony's direction does mean that I ignore those games because I actually played a few and.....shock.....I actually don't like them!!!!! ("Tells the reader basically nothing", I didn't know I was a narrator on this forum! You took it as an offense, don't blame me for how you read it)

For your information, I do like Trails of Cold Steel and Falcom games (That I actually mentioned in my post), so I honestly don't get why you're being pissy about my comment when it was aimed at no one and is a personal opinion of mine (because we all have different tastes). Do you like those games? Good! Doesn't mean I have to.
I did read your post, and I quoted the part that iritates me which is the lack of "passion" in the PlayStation 1st party projects, and studios choosing profit over passion which is utter BS.
Go read and watch the interviews with Cory Barlog and the SSM employees about the development on the God of War 2018 or GOW2 and tell me that there's no passion there.
Same with Insomniac who got to choose any Marvel IP they want and choose Spider Man, see the Game informer interviews with director.
Naughty Dog and it's lead creative director Neil Drukmann gets accused of "SJW" pandring and favoring story, animations and cutscene direction over gameplay, which is again BS if you played Uncharted and TLOU on higher diffculties where the games shine.
If you want style over substance go play any Ninja Theory game besides DmC : Devil May Cry.
As for Nihon Falcom and Sega they're thier own independent companies who found success and built an audience on the PlayStation platforms and aren't owned by Sony nor want to so why should Sony care?
Japan Studios is as the name suggests a collection of small teams with different projects who have made a lot of games for VR like the critically acclaimed Astro Bot and also Gravity Rush/Daze, GR wasn't a hit at release and is a niche title but it got a sequal by fan demand and nobody bought it, you could say marketing but i disagree when we are living in the internet age and other games have sold much more than both games with no marketing.
TLDR watch these:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man, inFamous, Ratchet and Clank. These all play great.

Infamous, Horizon, and Spider-Man are still in my backlog, but God of War and R&C were a joy to play.

Looking forward to the other 3 and the expansion First Light as well.

DanielsM

Banned
You never played God of War or Spiderman, did you?

Heck, I thought Days Gone had the equivalent of 2-3 very large games worth of game play mechanics - literally that game is crazy when it comes to core game play, imo. (not saying everyone has to like the core game play)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Naughty Dog and it's lead creative director Neil Drukmann gets accused of "SJW" pandring and favoring story, animations and cutscene direction over gameplay, which is again BS if you played Uncharted and TLOU on higher diffculties where the games shine.

Y'know that it was not Neil Druckman at the help for 99% of the Uncharted franchise, right? It was Amy Hennig and Uncharted 4, the only one directed by Druckmann, being the worst one by far. It was a slowly paced mess that focused more on story and characters over bombastic action and well paced gameplay. Same goes for TLOU where the best part of the game was its core MP as it removed the slow paced bullshit and poorly written story.

Druckmann needs to go into films and leave games to actual game developers. He is as bad as David Cage.

When trying to discount someone, at least get the facts right.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Y'know that it was not Neil Druckman at the help for 99% of the Uncharted franchise, right? It was Amy Hennig and Uncharted 4, the only one directed by Druckmann, being the worst one by far. It was a slowly paced mess that focused more on story and characters over bombastic action and well paced gameplay. Same goes for TLOU where the best part of the game was its core MP as it removed the slow paced bullshit and poorly written story.

Druckmann needs to go into films and leave games to actual game developers. He is as bad as David Cage.

Actually Uncharted 1 was the worse Uncharted game. And it was still good. I personally think 4 is better than 3, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

The slow pace of Uncharted 4 was BECAUSE Amy was directing it in the begening and wanted less shooting, go read about the development of UC4, Druckmann was co-lead designer of UC2 and Game designer AND co-writer on Uncharted 1!
TLOU gameplay and campaign is beloved by a lot of people around the world inculding myself so don't try to pass your personal minority opinion as fact.
You built this evil sjw persona of Druckmann in your heads and dismissing all his work just cause of his personal politics.
Judge the art not the man behind it.

Last edited:

FranXico

I hated the ending to 3. For me it makes it slightly worse than 4.
Sure there wasn't enough payoff at the ending of 3. But at least the pacing was better than in 4.

You built this evil sjw persona of Druckmann in your heads and dismissing all his work just cause of his personal politics.
I think even he is slowly starting to realize how toxic that crowd is.
I do expect good tense gameplay in TLoU2 regardless of his beliefs. Might affect the story a bit, but ok.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Could not agree more.

Wish we could have gotten her Ragtag (Star Wars), and I hope one day her version of Uncharted 4 and the reasons leak out.

Vampires are starting to be in vogue again, fund her another Legacy of Kain.
Many people haven't played any and don't know the story, let Bluepoint remake Soul Reaver first.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The slow pace of Uncharted 4 was BECAUSE Amy was directing it in the begening and wanted less shooting, go read about the development of UC4, Druckmann was co-lead designer of UC2 and Game designer AND co-writer on Uncharted 1!
TLOU gameplay and campaign is beloved by a lot of people around the world inculding myself so don't try to pass your personal minority opinion as fact.
Judge the art not the man behind it.

No one built any persona, it is just who he is. Sometimes a spade is just a spade and that is the case with Druckmann. He is an SJW and one that has stated numerous times that he pushes that view point into his work.

And I do judge the art, hence why I stated positive things about TLoU. However a director leaves a clear mark on the games they make as is the case with Druckmann.

Sure there wasn't enough payoff at the ending of 3. But at least the pacing was better than in 4.

I think even he is slowly starting to realize how toxic that crowd is.
I do expect good tense gameplay in TLoU2.
He never was in thier good graces for anything else other than Elie being gay.
He made a big no no in thier eyes when he cast Laura Bailey as Nadine and he got push back even by those on his team that it would cause a huge controversy but he stuck to his guns see what he says here from 8:00 onwards

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So do a reboot. You need to play Blood Omen before Soul Reaver since it took place 1500 years after BO.
I know, but there are too many titles in the series to remake, so remake just the best one :goog_tongue:
I don't know why Square refuses to touch the IP, it could be a great action game.

Agreed 100%. It makes the game impressive when you just finish it, but it makes you never want to play it again. Immediately after I finished I thought it was a masterpiece, yet as time goes on I find myself think less and less about it and I don't remember much of anything at all. I respect the direction they're going, I just don't fully agree with it.

And your point about the boss battles is spot on. The valkyries are engaging and fun, the last one is even legit challenging. The rest are bad, the final battle is especially inconsequential. I hope Santa Monica ups their game for the sequel.

I thought it was a nice way of evolving Kratos and the way they introduced Norse mythology into a series that has been Grecian in setting was quite convincing.

Considering all the things they were attempting and did well, I'd remain optimistic for the next entry. It's rather apparent to me that SMS is a very ambitious group of people.

Also, GOW had soooo many huge teases which have had no payoff...yet. I wanna believe they can and will deliver on that front, especially since this time it shouldn't be a last ditch effort again.

I wouldn't mind the one take camera for certain scenarios; though I'd like it to not require sacrificing gameplay in the process.

I don't remember if/how Matthewmatosis addressed GOW with God Hand but one of the things that God Hand (and Vanquish, both Mikami-directed) did was include a radar display in the top right of the screen. Using that knowledge you'd then position yourself to have as few blind spots as possible.

Can't say I expect GOW to include that though...they'd probably wanna cook up some lore in game as to why you have a radar in that setting. I feel that's how modern realistic games tend to roll. Older games just DGAF as long as it serves the gameplay and the player.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here. But Sony cannot keep their leadership position by doing the very same things forever. It's just not gonna happen.

I'm sorry. It's just not how it works in the entertainment business., especially gaming. This is not a tech business, we're still in the entertainment business, and it's videogaming. The pendulum swings. It always happens. That means things will inevitably change. They can't stay the same.

If you've been gaming for a while and you have been paying attention, you know this..

Last edited:
No one built any persona, it is just who he is. Sometimes a spade is just a spade and that is the case with Druckmann. He is an SJW and one that has stated numerous times that he pushes that view point into his work.

And I do judge the art, hence why I stated positive things about TLoU. However a director leaves a clear mark on the games they make as is the case with Druckmann.
Did it hurt your enjoyment that Elie was gay and Nadine was a black strong woman who overpowered the Drakes? Cause that's about the only two things the new SJWs (Anti-SJWs) point and bitch about in his games.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here. But Sony cannot keep their leadership position by doing the very same things forever. It's just not gonna happen.

I'm sorry. It's just not how it works in the entertainment business., especially gaming. This is not a tech business, we're still in the entertainment business, and it's videogaming. The pendulum swings. It always happens. That means things will inevitably change. They can't stay the same.

If you've been gaming for a while and you have been paying attention, you know this..

What do you mean? They aren't only making one type of game though.

Worked for Nintendo, i guess bing bing wahoo works every time!
/s

Last edited:
I don't remember if/how Matthewmatosis addressed GOW with God Hand but one of the things that God Hand (and Vanquish, both Mikami-directed) did was include a radar display in the top right of the screen. Using that knowledge you'd then position yourself to have as few blind spots as possible.

Can't say I expect GOW to include that though...they'd probably wanna cook up some lore in game as to why you have a radar in that setting. I feel that's how modern realistic games tend to roll. Older games just DGAF as long as it serves the gameplay and the player.

He makes a comparison to God Hand and if I'm not mistaken it is about the camera, but I also don't remember what it is. GH does combat much better with a similar camera since it features more demanding mechanics and don't flood you with ranged characters. Aside from the valkyries, GOW isn't designed to be challenging, the only difficulty comes from damage sponging. GH feels like a 3D fighting game, the game asks so much out of the player from the start and you always fight the opponent closer.

Japanese devs would still do the radar thing, it's so rare to see an eastern game sacrificing any gameplay feature for narrative purposes. I was just playing Three Houses and I got to have tea with Jeritza and that makes absolutely no sense to the point of it being retarded, and yet it's hilarious and charming and it makes sense since it's an established gameplay possibility. You can do that with basically everyone in the game, so why couldn't you do it with the most metal man alive? Western devs take themselves way too seriously to do that. Japanese devs still don't give a fuck and never put anything above fun gameplay.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know, but there are too many titles in the series to remake, so remake just the best one :goog_tongue:
I don't know why Square refuses to touch the IP, it could be a great action game.

Reboot Blood Omen, then follow it up 2-3 years later with Soul Reaver, then the rest you can get creative with.

brap

Banned
Two goody two shoes thieves who don't want to fight a woman vs a highly trained merc who wants to kill them.
p4VJHkd_d.jpg

So brap anything else?
Imagine being such a beta cuck that you won't hit a woman even though she's a highly trained merc that wants to kill you.

MY LIFE IS IN DANGER BUT EVEN THEN I SHALL NOT HIT A WOMAN

He makes a comparison to God Hand and if I'm not mistaken it is about the camera, but I also don't remember what it is. GH does combat much better with a similar camera since it features more demanding mechanics and don't flood you with ranged characters. Aside from the valkyries, GOW isn't designed to be challenging, the only difficulty comes from damage sponging. GH feels like a 3D fighting game, the game asks so much out of the player from the start and you always fight the opponent closer.

Japanese devs would still do the radar thing, it's so rare to see an eastern game sacrificing any gameplay feature for narrative purposes. I was just playing Three Houses and I got to have tea with Jeritza and that makes absolutely no sense to the point of it being retarded, and yet it's hilarious and charming and it makes sense since it's an established gameplay possibility. You can do that with basically everyone in the game, so why couldn't you do it with the most metal man alive? Western devs take themselves way too seriously to do that. Japanese devs still don't give a fuck and never put anything above fun gameplay.

Part of why GH worked so well was because it was so damn focused on the close range brawl. Enemy projectiles were a thing but not a focus of the game.

Anyway I went to search for a bit and came across this 2006 interview with Atsushi Inaba which was a super fun read, laughed quite a few times in the first half itself: https://www.wired.com/2006/10/interview-atsus/

I'm sure you'll wanna quote that one specific paragraph about their concern with the story haha. And maybe cause it's straightforward, I still remember a lot of the key story beats (and funky quips) to this day. Such a riot of a game.

Slightly off topic but I want to give a little shout out to CliffyB and Gears 1. Might have been a realistic and serious Western game with inspiration from RE4 and Kill.Switch but the Active Reload was about as gamey as it gets. There are probably a lot more gamey things that I'm not thinking of in gears but AR is one that sticks with me.

About your example, I think the Japanese are on the opposite side of the serious business entirely. The kinds of things they find amusing (as seen on Twitter) makes me think that they wanna avoid the drab stuff in games because they get that too much in their real, normal lives.

So they have all these wacky things that people might roll their eyes at (eg. look at any anti-PlatinumGames sentiment), not just in games but all their products and advertisements.

There are probably other better reasons but that's my impression of them at the moment.

Lastly, this just came to mind but GOW1 (the 2005) game while fairly serious also had quite a bit of goofy black humour in it.

CrisPy2019

I wish GAMEPLAY would be their focus. Anyones focus in the industry. If that is completely nailed then to the rest.

I know that some of their games have good story characters and gameplay. But gameplay should always be the focus.

Otherwise just go make movies instead. Or those "you can decide what happens next"-netflix expriences like the survival guy and you decide if he goes path 1 or path 2. Fight wildlife or run from it etc.

I dont get how hard it is to understand what GAMES are and that GAMEplay is basically the same word.

Good. They are the only ones to have this commitment, industry needs diversified gaming proposals. Shooters, game as a service, online experiences, loot games, free to play, competetitive games, family games, but also single player cinematic experiences with little to no online.

I understand people who dislike these games, but come on. There are plenty of publishers who don't invest in those experiences, let us enjoy our games too.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I enjoyed the 1st three UCs but was bored to tears by 4. You left out that UC4 had a shit, boring story, that turned one of the best character in video games into a pussy-whipped, fool afraid of his wife and stupid enough to fall for all his creepy, annoying brother's schemes.

Personally, I like SP games with a good exciting story (and gameplay) - I just don't think many of Sony games have any of that.

Top Bottom