• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We’re committed to big, spectacular experiences with story and characters at the core

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy your movies!
Good. Keep doing what you excel at and keep pushing the envelope.

The naysayers and haters will never be happy, don't try and please them, they are in the minority anyway.
Yeah fuck minorities that used to be the majority that helped your brand grow!

Jesus

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmunter

Not sure where these Movie comments come from. Sony is masterclass in gameplay/cinematic balance, that’s why their games are so highly regarded. Proposing otherwise is simply trolling.

There is but one exception, the Order 1886 while utilising the same philosophy, was out of balance - leaned too far into the cinematic and not enough gameplay. If only they had a chance for a sequel, I expect it would have been spectacular.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I enjoyed the 1st three UCs but was bored to tears by 4. You left out that UC4 had a shit, boring story, that turned one of the best character in video games into a pussy-whipped, fool afraid of his wife and stupid enough to fall for all his creepy, annoying brother's schemes.

Personally, I like SP games with a good exciting story (and gameplay) - I just don't think many of Sony games have any of that.

It's literally one of the best things they do.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's literally one of the best things they do.

In your opinion and you're entitled to it, just as I am in feeling that PS games story/gameplay are lacking. Except as I've mentioned numerous times - I loved the story in Horizon Zero Dawn. I liked the gameplay too, although it's probably because the mechadinos were super cool.

DanielsM

Banned
Sounds intriguing, mind if I ask for some elaboration? Short bullet points would be fine, I don't wanna take up too much of your time.

Here is run down of all the skills, weapons, bike upgrades, bomb crafting, trap crafting, etc.

The real star of the game is the world i.e. the AI... basically you can play stealth, rambo, combination, traps, set AI creatures against other AI humans or other zombie types, etc.

To me its like 2-3 games put in one.... depending on how you play it can feel like Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead, Metal Gear Solid, Doom, The Last of Us, etc.

Last edited:

Here is run down of all the skills, weapons, bike upgrades, bomb crafting, trap crafting, etc.

The real star of the game is the world i.e. the AI... basically you can play stealth, rambo, combination, traps, set AI creatures against other AI humans or other zombie types, etc.

To me its like 2-3 games put in one.... depending on how you play it can feel like Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead, Metal Gear Solid, Doom, The Last of Us, etc.

Thanks a lot! I'll have to check out that link properly and all.

The part about utilizing various playstyles makes me think of Hitman (I'm not a Hitman hardcore player or anything, so maybe my impression is off).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What minorities? What game do you actually want, and explain to me why you think Playstation doesn't have it?
Did you read the post I was replying to? Japanese exclusives are a dying breed on Sony consoles.

Did you skip out on this gen? Their focus is western 3rd person games now.
The Japanese studios will release games when they are ready. You are talking like all their studios got shut down or something.
I think he meant first party Japanese games for PlayStation like Gravity Rush, Siren, Team ICO games and even JRPG like Dark Cloud.
I don't remember Sony saying anything about stopping these studios from making games. Did you? Game production is just harder these days and I rather they make games when they are ready.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't remember Sony saying anything about stopping these studios from making games. Did you? Game production is just harder these days and I rather they make games when they are ready.
My fear is since their western game became much more popular, they would solely focus on western games for PS5, its their Japanese titles why I liked PlayStation in the first place.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Japanese studios will release games when they are ready. You are talking like all their studios got shut down or something.

You haven't been following Sony for the last 2 years have you?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Did it hurt your enjoyment that Elie was gay and Nadine was a black strong woman who overpowered the Drakes? Cause that's about the only two things the new SJWs (Anti-SJWs) point and bitch about in his games.

I couldn't care less about Ellie's sexuality. The game couldn't either until the shitty DLC that had a poorly paced "romance" between the two. I play Yuri and Yaoi VN's quite often. As long as the romance is well paced and well written, I will enjoy it. Nothing like that occurred with TLoU. Her sexuality was put front and center as a virtue signalling gimmick and nothing more.

Same goes with Nadine. She was a poorly written character that served no real point in the greater scheme of the story being told. Navarro had more interesting moments than she did.

But no, my main issue with Uncharted 4 was its complete change of its pacing, the slow and needless moments done to try and push a "realistic" nathan drake (which is something most don't want or care for, they want to play Indiana Jones: Naughty Dog Edition). Most gamers don't want to play a sad, down on his luck, mid-life crisis man trying to deal with his brother in a generic pirate adventure that lacks almost everything that made the first 3 games good.

TLoU was a generic zombie adventure tale that *blatantly* ripped off better post-apoc tales like The Road. The only good part was its core gameplay which was muddied due to the terrible pacing and writing of the main story. Hence why I have and will continue to state that the only good thing was the Multiplayer.

I enjoyed the 1st three UCs but was bored to tears by 4. You left out that UC4 had a shit, boring story, that turned one of the best character in video games into a pussy-whipped, fool afraid of his wife and stupid enough to fall for all his creepy, annoying brother's schemes.

Personally, I like SP games with a good exciting story (and gameplay) - I just don't think many of Sony games have any of that.

They do, but the games that have the interesting story and character dynamics are typically the japanese-led ones. God of War was really the only one from the first party western studios that I could say had an excellent story. Uncharted 4 was, as we said. Horizon was a bland, forgettable, and generic tale. Infamous Second Son I can't even remember a thing about, despite platinuming the title. Spider-man, while a fun *game*, had a generic super hero plot that really didn't get going until near the very end where it... ended.

Atelier, Persona, Catherine, The Legend of Heroes, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Devil May Cry, etc. These are the games that have far better casts, character interactions/dynamics, story, and pacing than most of Sony's first party releases as of late. A number of these games are also ones that have been targeted by Sony's idiotic censorship.

DanielsM

Banned
Thanks a lot! I'll have to check out that link properly and all.

The part about utilizing various playstyles makes me think of Hitman (I'm not a Hitman hardcore player or anything, so maybe my impression is off).

Its kind has a part from lots of games.

Crafting is kind of like Rage 1 and The Last of Us.
Melee combat is The Last of Us/Horizon.
Open world design with the bike is kind of Red Dead Redemption/Rage 1 type feel.
Shooting is pretty good although some people complain about some of dead zones in aiming, I would say its either my favorite 3rd shooting other than maybe GoW.
You can tackle situations with stealth i.e. Metal Gear Solid type feel, use traps and bombs, melee or go in blazingd.... or set AI vs AI... hordes against NPCs or even different enemy types against one another.
You'll be attacked by all kinds of wildlife, humans and zombies.
More of a horror/survival game in the first quarter of the game... than you get into more of a RDR type feel..... with some L4D but in a single player setting.

Whether people like it or not is very subjective but its a massive game on many levels.... combat, options, game play elements, map size, etc.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Sony has blatantly pushed away japanese developers, even causing some to quit their studios after being mandated, by Sony, to change the product. Just look at Senran Kagura's creator leaving Marvelous.

Numerous others have also stated similar issues with Sony and have made moves to release titles on PC and Switch over the PS4. Hell, one game (Omega Labyrinth Life) made a special version that had far less content and was a tongue in cheek slap to the bullshit Sony has pushed.

Its kind has a part from lots of games.

Crafting is kind of like Rage 1 and The Last of Us.
Melee combat is The Last of Us/Horizon.
Open world design with the bike is kind of Red Dead Redemption/Rage 1 type feel.
Shooting is pretty good although some people complain about some of dead zones in aiming, I would say its either my favorite 3rd shooting other than maybe GoW.
You can tackle situations with stealth i.e. Metal Gear Solid type feel, use traps and bombs, melee or go in blazingd.... or set AI vs AI... hordes against NPCs or even different enemy types against one another.
You'll be attacked by all kinds of wildlife, humans and zombies.
More of a horror/survival game in the first quarter of the game... than you get into more of a RDR type feel..... with some L4D but in a single player setting.

Whether people like it or not is very subjective but its a massive game on many levels.... combat, options, game play elements, map size, etc.

Wow thanks a lot for more details from your experience!

Based on what you say melee isn't this game's focus; I didn't enjoy melee in TLOU and especially not in HZD.

I'm gonna have to go read up on the AI vs AI part, it sounds like the most interesting part about the whole game so far.

Bkdk

And that’s why I’m far more excited for MS next gen, back to RTS, simulation and open world RPGs by obsidian, Inxile etc. getting pretty bored of this type of Sony’s first party titles already.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
This is why Sony is slowly losing me.

Their narrative-driven games are pushing the industry in a bad direction, IMO. More voice acting, more mo-cap, more scripting, more Hollywood-styled cutscenes, more Sony cameras doing Sony things on Sony OLEDs with Sony VR goggles, etc

Sony does not exhibit the plucky, fun-loving attitude that I want a videogame company to have, and it shows in their game output. It even shows when you compare their E3 "shows" today to the ones at the beginning of the PS4 generation.
Oh jesus you are either a paid idiot or seriously butthurt :D. So you want procedurally generated timesinks? You enjoy those games that gamble on your time and sanity and you have to spend a lot of time calculating red, green and purple modifiers? Gimme a break. You are reciting 2000s era game journo bullshit. "Oh a game muss be oppenn and scripted dingz are subpar."

You want fun? Go Nintendo and never come back.

GTFO, bring the black bodybags for this fool.

Shmunter

Oh jesus you are either a paid idiot or seriously butthurt :D. So you want procedurally generated timesinks? You enjoy those games that gamble on your time and sanity and you have to spend a lot of time calculating red, green and purple modifiers? Gimme a break. You are reciting 2000s era game journo bullshit. "Oh a game muss be oppenn and scripted dingz are subpar."

Spicy

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

rbTvGCz.png

Mmmm yes more games like these please!

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
rbTvGCz.png

Mmmm yes more games like these please!
Out of words? Good.

The left guy got seriously burned by a cleavage goddess and tried to crawl out since then, without success. The other, well he is a good actor, who was giggling like he was high in that scene.

Good example, well done. Applause!

GOW has like 40+hours of controller smashin content which will literally ruin your hands. So either you didn't played GOW or don't really know wtf you doin.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Incorrect.

PS4 has been my main console this gen and my largest source of purchases games this. I just haven't bought each and every Sony title.

Go console war elsewhere, you overzealous flea.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My Uncle is similar to my Aunt as... they both have

- two eyes
- two ears
- two legs
- two arms
- two hands
- ten fingers
- ten toes
- hair on their head
- heck they both even have hair on their chin LOL
- etc. etc. etcl

Maybe stick to talking about topics you are knowledgeable about, because clearly you can't back your own arguments up outside of ad-hominem attacks and a false sense of your opinions worth.

Your posts make very little sense.... if you think Spider-Man plays like Days Gone.... chances are you haven't played them. I mean anyone can say Checkers is like Zelda they are samey... their both games.

Most people are not going to value your thoughts when you are comparing Spider-Man to Days Gone.... why not Gears of War to Spider-Man? Why not minecraft to Spider-man.

- 3rd person
- one shoots webs, the other one shoots bullets
- they both have melee components
- action adventure
- heavy on story
- both have humanoid type characters

Literally your posts makes very little sense I would imagine to people that played these games. I can have a huge list for any two games to show how they are a like... its easy.

Not one sane person on this planet is going to confuse Spider-man with Days Gone.... this discussion isn't going to go far if you can tell the difference and a very noticeable one.
I never said there aren't differences. Only that they are both third person action games which, despite differences, is kinda samey, as in they are the same fucking genre with a different coat of paint.

BTW, the whole uncle/aunt thing is a horrible analogy and you should feel bad for continuing to harp on something so stupid. Both your uncle and aunt are humans, their genre if you will, and their differences are akin to the differences among third person action games.

But, since you like analogies so much here is a much better one:

Sony is currently only creating sports cars, but I would really like to see them make a truck because I like their quality and think they could make a really great truck. Yeah, I know sports cars can be very different from car to car, but they are still just sports cars and can't do the things trucks can.

Sports car = third person action game

Truck = any fucking thing else.

Why is this so hard for some of you Sony only peeps to understand? Are zelda and GTA exactly the same? No, but THEY ARE the same basic genre (Third person action game). When I look at sony's catalog I see a bunch of third person action games of different flavors. That doesn't appeal to me as I tend to like First person action games, Multiplayer games and WRPGs much more than third person action games. I wish Sony's game diversity was more than just dressing third person action games up in different clothes.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Not sure where these Movie comments come from. Sony is masterclass in gameplay/cinematic balance, that’s why their games are so highly regarded. Proposing otherwise is simply trolling.

There is but one exception, the Order 1886 while utilising the same philosophy, was out of balance - leaned too far into the cinematic and not enough gameplay. If only they had a chance for a sequel, I expect it would have been spectacular.

Agree there, what's so strange about The Order is the gun play and weapons are fun as hell, but so little time with them, than they stick you on rails with no way to explore.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Out of words? Good.

The left guy got seriously burned by a cleavage goddess and tried to crawl out since then, without success. The other, well he is a good actor, who was giggling like he was high in that scene.

Good example, well done. Applause!

GOW has like 40+hours of controller smashin content which will literally ruin your hands. So either you didn't played GOW or don't really know wtf you doin.
GOW was boring and repetitive with barely any enemy variation. That is not something I'd expect from the IP but way to miss the point on the 3rd person first party EXPERIENCE.
I never said there isn't differences. Only that they are both third person action games which, despite differences, is kinda samey, as in they are the same fucking genre with a different coat of paint.

BTW, that is a horrible analogy and you should feel bad for continuing to harp on something so stupid.

But, since you like analogies so much here is a better one, Sony is currently only creating sports cars but I would really like to see them make a truck, because I like their quality and think they really could make a great truck. Yeah, I know sports cars can be very different from car to car, but they are still just sports cars and can't do the things trucks can.

Sports car = third person action game

Truck = any fucking thing else.

Why is this so hard for some of you Sony only peeps to understand this? Are zelda and GTA exactly the same? No, but THEY ARE the same basic genre (Third person action game). When I look at sony's catalog I see a bunch of third person action games of different flavors. That doesn't appeal to me as I tend to like First person action games, Multiplayer games and WRPGs much more than third person action games. I wish Sony's game diversity was more than just dressing third person action games up in different clothes.
WTF is wrong with you why can't you just enjoy cinematic games? /s

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Or you mean stories that aren't focused only on White\Straight\Men?

Enough with the blatant strawmanning, mckmas. Plenty of amazing games have been released that do not focus Straight White Men and aren't blatantly woke in their writing or presentation.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Enough with the blatant strawmanning, mckmas. Plenty of amazing games have been released that do not focus Straight White Men and aren't blatantly woke in their writing or presentation.
He might be on to something here though

Uncharted
Last of Us (women d..don't count!)
God of War
Biker Game
Horizon (b..but a woman!)
Spiderman

All white people protagonists and all of come from Sony exclusives games.

mckmas8808

So why don't you place that same level of blame or criticism on Dr. Kitty Muffins Dr. Kitty Muffins post ? :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking:
Woke stories? What is a woke story anyway?

Last edited:

Shmunter

So why don't you place that same level of blame or criticism on Dr. Kitty Muffins Dr. Kitty Muffins post ? :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking:
BF5 I would call a woke story all round. Gender equality and race representation was forced into a setting that didn’t suit such an agenda. Agenda overtook common sense.

Apart from that I agree, a lesbian in a story is not woke because thats a character like any other.

it comes down to suitability vs obvious activism.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

You know full well. It has been explained to you time and again over the past couple of years, but the difference is you support those kind of stories so you try to push disingenuous rhetoric to obfuscate the issues or do what you do here: pretend you don't know.

Dargor

He might be on to something here though

Uncharted
Last of Us (women d..don't count!)
God of War
Biker Game
Horizon (b..but a woman!)
Spiderman

All white people protagonists and all of come from Sony exclusives games.

Since when is Kratos white?

edit: isn't this how he looks like without the ashes?

318e39fcd103468d3438d6c11ca2c57e.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Since when is Kratos white?

edit: isn't this how he looks like without the ashes?

318e39fcd103468d3438d6c11ca2c57e.jpg

Copying from my old AC Odyssey post:

The Greek World was not as "diverse" as is portrayed in the game. Indo-europeans brought in the language. The Greek people were and still are a mix of those indo-european migrations and older indigenous groups (that were still fair of skin). The Pelasgians were most likely the original indigenous group in the area. They didn't have darker skin tone like Dravidian people found in the southern and eastern ends of Africa.
  • Due to climatological sciences, we know that since the end of the ice age the Mediterraneans did not have high UV levels that would introduce evolutionary pressure to increase melanin levels within the Pelasgians. (A Eruopean Population in Minoan Bronze Age Crete, look it up via Scholar.Google).
Kratos is a white man, just with a tan given the war-like nature of the character. He is out in the sun often fighting.

Dargor

The Greek World was not as "diverse" as is portrayed in the game. Indo-europeans brought in the language. The Greek people were and still are a mix of those indo-european migrations and older indigenous groups (that were still fair of skin). The Pelasgians were most likely the original indigenous group in the area. They didn't have darker skin tone like Dravidian people found in the southern and eastern ends of Africa.
  • Due to climatological sciences, we know that since the end of the ice age the Mediterraneans did not have high UV levels that would introduce evolutionary pressure to increase melanin levels within the Pelasgians. (A Eruopean Population in Minoan Bronze Age Crete, look it up via Scholar.Google).
Kratos is a white man, just with a tan given the war-like nature of the character. He is out in the sun often fighting.

Well could have fooled me, but if he is white, hes white.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

White people can tan brown?

The most "movie" Sony experience was Until Dawn and Detroit Become Human, both of which featured more actual choice than stuff like Telltale or Life is Strange justifying their categorization as games even more than those so I don't really care for the "movie" critique.

mckmas8808

BF5 I would call a woke story all round. Gender equality and race representation was forced into a setting that didn’t suit such an agenda. Agenda overtook common sense.

Apart from that I agree, a lesbian in a story is not woke because thats a character like any other.

it comes down to suitability vs obvious activism.

Okay I can agree the story and characters in that game were stupid and clearly looking to have over representation.

Thanks for at least answering the question and being honest.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
White people can tan brown?

In the childhood flashback in Ghost of Sparta, Kratos isn’t noticeably darker than the other Greeks; the cutscene were done in a way to emphasize that this is before he got his ashen coating.

And yes, people with white skin can turn noticeably darker (which can look even darker depending on the light in the room). Example: Theo Theodoridis, a greek actor.

Top Bottom