• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will be publishing Nioh in both Europe and North America

Sesha

Have not been keeping up to date but wonder why a Team Ninja game is recieving so much attention after their latest games.

Nioh looks extremely promising after the alpha and beta tests, and all we've seen and heard so far. I had no interest in any action game from Team Ninja ever again post-Ninja Gaiden 3, but I have a renewed interest in them and will look forward for whatever they make whether it's Nioh 2, Ninja Gaiden 4 or something new. DoA5 and Hyrule Warriors have been really good as well.

gtj1092

Slightly off topic, but the beginning of 2017 is insane.

January 20th
Gravity Rush 2

January 24th
Kingdom Hearts II.8: Final Chapter Prologue
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

February 9th
Ni-Oh

February 14th
For Honor
Persona 5

February 23rd
NieR: Automata (Japanese release)

February 28th
Horizon Zero Dawn

My poor wallet.

Wait what? Gravity Rush got delayed? Thought it was out around Christmas.

Wait what? Gravity Rush got delayed? Thought it was out around Christmas.

It was delayed for the same reason KH2.8 was delayed, December ended up filling up with more games than expected. It's one of the few times developers admit that a delay was more about positioning than polish. Although i'm sure both will take the time to tinker around with the games since they have the extra time.

wapplew

January 20th
Gravity Rush 2

January 24th
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

February 9th
Ni-Oh

February 14th
For Honor
Persona 5

February 23rd

February 28th
Horizon Zero Dawn

My poor wallet.

Sony publish 3 titles in the west within 5 weeks, something gotta give.
Poor Gravity Rush 2...

It was bizarre. I only had to see footage of DS at TGS running at about 12FPS and just had to get the Asian version. I don't know how they thought it wouldn't appeal.

You have the answer right in your post. It was an unproven IP, from a developer without a great track record in terms of both sales and reviews and it apparently ran like garbage and had a lot of bugs even late in development.

It was obviously a mistake in hindsight, but some people like to make it out to be a much more egregious one than it actually was.
Even if Sony had published Demon's Souls WW we would still have gotten a multiplatform Dark Souls and would probably have ended up pretty much were we are now with the franchise.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nioh looks extremely promising after the alpha and beta tests, and all we've seen and heard so far. I had no interest in any action game from Team Ninja ever again post-Ninja Gaiden 3, but I have a renewed interest in them and will look forward for whatever they make whether it's Nioh 2, Ninja Gaiden 4 or something new. DoA5 and Hyrule Warriors have been really good as well.

Hyrule warriors was by Omega force

You have the answer right in your post. It was an unproven IP, from a developer without a great track record in terms of both sales and reviews and it apparently ran like garbage and had a lot of bugs even late in development.

It was obviously a mistake in hindsight, but some people like to make it out to be a much more egregious one than it actually was.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't blame the man for making a decision based on it being a rather shit version of the game at the time.

It's not like the game(s) are terribly inviting either, it might've just rubbed him the wrong way on top of it gameplay wise. Obtuse doesn't even being to describe it.

January 20th
Gravity Rush 2

January 24th
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

February 9th
Ni-Oh

February 14th
For Honor
Persona 5

February 23rd

February 28th
Horizon Zero Dawn

My poor wallet.

Why is this happening? I thought things would clear up after the holiday but they stacked Q1 ;___;

Hexa

Why is this happening? I thought things would clear up after the holiday but they stacked Q1 ;___;

Sony seems to have committed to skipping the holiday season and leaving it to third parties to fight over but having a packed Q1.
I think it's a pretty good idea, but it seems that Q1 is overtly packed now too. Time to start shifting stuff to summer I guess.

Eusis

Feels more like a move to ensure Nioh stays exclusive. Of all japanese devs, KT is the least likely to need help publishing stuff over here.
Probably. Kinda reminds of the PS1 days when SCE did a lot of this for third parties that had been prominent before, or just notable Japanese games with no western presence for the publisher (Grandia.)

SarusGray

Feels more like a move to ensure Nioh stays exclusive. Of all japanese devs, KT is the least likely to need help publishing stuff over here.

yeah, they really just publish everything. Unfortunately KT does not have any marketing power which is probably why they hopped on board when Sony expressed interest in Nioh.

SarusGray

"Born 24 September 1564
Gillingham, Kent, England"

I asked why the samurai was from Dublin. It seems they took some artistic liberties and made him Irish and gave him a modern Dublin accent.

It doesn't have to be exact, its a character inspired by a historic figure. I can't tell what his accent is besides the fact he's a white guy.

January 20th
Gravity Rush 2

January 24th
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

February 9th
Ni-Oh

February 14th
For Honor
Persona 5

February 23rd

February 28th
Horizon Zero Dawn

My poor wallet.
Yeesh. I hope Persona or Horizon gets pushed back to March.

It doesn't have to be exact, its a character inspired by a historic figure. I can't tell what his accent is besides the fact he's a white guy.

ok? I'm not complaining. It's an Irish accent. A real Irish accent which is why I'm so shocked by it. Usually Irish accents in games are awful shite that Americans think we sound like. I was wondering why he's Irish, clearly they took some artistic liberties with it.

Drencrom

January 20th
Gravity Rush 2

January 24th
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

February 9th
Ni-Oh

February 14th
For Honor
Persona 5

February 23rd

February 28th
Horizon Zero Dawn

My poor wallet.

It really is dumb as fuck...

Devs and pubs need to learn to spread out game releases.

Decado

So, say goodbye to that PC port...
Sony has published a ps4 exclusive on steam before, but it does look like this one may be staying put. Particularly with the noise they were making a while ago that the ps4 pro was a reaction to the PC market.

Phenomic

It really is dumb as fuck...

Devs and pubs need to learn to spread out game releases.

Saddest part about this thing too is none of this includes anything Nintendo from March. Peoples wallets are going to be in a world of hurt, and a lot of peoples titles are going to underperform probably due to this.

No way every normal person is going to drop 200+ dollars on games and a Switch within an 8 week time span.

Not making that Demon's Souls mistake again I see

That's the opposite situation of Demon's Souls though.
Demon's Souls is a SONY IP, co-developped by Sony, published by Sony in Japan but which they never bothered published in West, hence leaving publishing duties to a 3rd party.
Ni-Oh is a KT IP, developped by KT, published by KT in Japan but published by Sony in the West.

Eusis

Shogun is also loosely based on the same person, although it's safe to say Nioh makes that look like a real historical documentary in comparison.

Begaria

Fuck, I know nothing about this game, are you guys saying it has any resemblance to Souls games?

I'm in Day 1

It's Ninja Gaiden Dark Souls with Diablo loot and Gears of War active reload for your stamina starring Geralt from the Witcher.

And. It's. AWESOME!

zma1013

Fuck, I know nothing about this game, are you guys saying it has any resemblance to Souls games?

I'm in Day 1

It has the basic foundation and structure of a Souls game, as well as the requirement to pay attention and focus and realize that there are no trash mobs in the game, all enemies are dangerous if you don't treat them with caution and respect.

The key difference here is that it's also throwing a focus of action game mechanics that one might normally see in a game like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta onto the Souls framework. There are a ton of combos and moves to learn.

It's really shaping up to be something quite special.

Glad to hear they will back it up. It is truly going to be something special. It is even hard for me to play the slow and sluggish soul games after getting warm with this game. The art style could be better on characters but I do enjoy the monster designs and scenarios.

Heartfyre

I read this after my first post. I knew it was William Adams that's why I was shocked it had an actual Irish accent. It's not often you hear normal Irish accents in games.

The only ones I can think of are Gilligan and the Emerald Herald from Dark Souls II. None of that Assassin's Creed Rogue and The Saboteur shite.

Glad to hear Nioh is going to get the marketing attention we know it'll deserve.

January 20th
Gravity Rush 2

January 24th
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

February 9th
Ni-Oh

February 14th
For Honor
Persona 5

February 23rd

February 28th
Horizon Zero Dawn

My poor wallet.

tenor.gif

Not making that Demon's Souls mistake again I see

Came to say this. It's great to see Ni-Oh getting some first party support behind it. Hopefully the game is fantastic and I can see Sony funding a sequel if the first does well. They squandered a huge opportunity with DeSo and I don't wager they make that mistake again.

Top Bottom