• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

Afrikan

SONY going into the PS3 generation made a wise decisions.

Stop wasting money on third party exclusives and make their own first party stronger.

The foundation was this generation with great IPs however I think the PS4 generations is going to kick ass.

but it seemed like there was a tough sacrifice for this....marketing $$$ maybe?. Its like they were relying on word of mouth to do the marketing for them.

Globox_82

Banned
but it seemed like there was a tough sacrifice for this....marketing $$$ maybe?. Its like they were relying on word of mouth to do the marketing for them.

Who cares! Like I give a shit if Uncharted sells on average 6-7 mil instead of 15 mil. If Sony is happy so am I. Especially with their output

Stop wasting money on third party exclusives and make their own first party stronger.

The foundation was this generation with great IPs however I think the PS4 generations is going to kick ass.

You think the money they spent on third party games during ps1/ps2 days was a waste? Out of all the money they spent this gen on first party, they only produced one sort of big hit with Uncharted. And even then, I don't see how it's more valuable then stuff like FF, MGS, etc. ND can't keep making Uncharted games like a Gran Turismo or a Mario series. Ditto for God of War.

Sony has money to spend, but they're not using it wisely. It's really difficult to create a new IP that can stand with the already established franchises. They should be looking into outright buying major studios that already have valuable IP. Like, they should have bought Squaresoft back then.

Takao

Banned
I'd think the Nintendo faithful would have a hard time arguing their first party is as diverse as Sony's.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Is it crazy to think that Sony First Party is better than Nintendo First Party or is it still taboo ?

Personally I don't think it's crazy at all, since I've never cared for Nintendo's first-party output besides the occasional Mario game and the odd game here and there, while Sony's first-party output has quite a few games that I really like. GAF in general might think you crazy for such a suggestion though.

I dare you to make a thread with this challenge.

It would be a graveyard.

Equus Bellator Apex

It would be a graveyard.

do_it.gif

Combichristoffersen

How many new Ip were created this gen from Sony?

Uncharted, inFamous, Motorstorm, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, The Last of Us, PS Battle Allstars, White Knight Chronicles, Sorcery, Medieval Moves, Wonderbook, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls make 13. Any I've forgotten?

Edit: Africa, ModNation, Heavenly Sword and Tokyo Jungle too. So there's 17.

baekshi

Banned
Uncharted, inFamous, Motorstorm, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, The Last of Us, PS Battle Allstars, White Knight Chronicles, Sorcery, Medieval Moves, Wonderbook, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls make 13. Any I've forgotten?

Edit: Africa, ModNation and Tokyo Jungle too.

Heavenly Sword, Demon Souls, Gravity Rush

I'd think the Nintendo faithful would have a hard time arguing their first party is as diverse as Sony's.
I think the issue is that, while Nintendo develops and publishes more games than Sony, in more genres, and works directly with more outside developers, all of that is pretty much centralised in Japan. Sony's more worldwide focus definietly benefits them, even if their Japan efforts atrophied to almost nothing at their expense.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What about Starhawk and folklore? I am trying to think of others but I'm on my phone so it's hard to see what has already been posted.

Combichristoffersen

What about Starhawk and folklore?

Folklore is one more, but isn't Starhawk a kind of pseudo-sequel to Warhawk, which was a sort of pseudo-remake of the old PS1 game?

Loco Roco and patapon. Or are we only doing ps3?

Combi: of Xenoblade counts, I'd probably count Starhawk.

Nah, Patapon and Locoroco count too, since I already included some Vita games.

And then we'll let Starhawk count too. So what's the score, 23-24 new IPs this gen for Sony?

Y2Kev

Loco Roco and patapon. Or are we only doing ps3?

Combi: if Xenoblade counts, I'd probably count Starhawk.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SCEJ sound just wrong here, they didn't expanded, they don't buy studios or anything,has different strategy than SCEA/SCEE (hiring studios to make their games most of the time) only makes games from few genres (Racing,Golf,JRPG,Action adventures mostly), they also have majority of classic IPs that they don't return to at all.

I am most confident with Sony. They have my faith currently, so long as they don't send the vita down the shitter they'll have my money with the PS4.

Bgamer90

Banned
While it's a big list, and Sony have published some great games this generation, their batting average is still really low I think.

Of course it's debatable - sure there are some awesome series/games like Wipeout & Uncharted and some great/good like GT, God Of War, Resistance & R&C but there are a lot of mediocre filler to their line-up IMO like Motorstorm, Socom, Killzone, LBP e.t.c.

I pretty much agree with this^

Sony definitely has more "big" exclusive games than Nintendo and MS but at the same time, I'm not interested in a decent number of them.

To be honest, when it comes to exclusive games, Nintendo, MS, and Sony are pretty much the same in terms of the number of exclusive IPs they have that I'm interested in (about 4-5 games for each system).

Drago

Is it crazy to think that Sony First Party is better than Nintendo First Party or is it still taboo ?
I'm not as invested in Sony first party as much as Nintendo first party, but what I enjoy from Sony, I greatly enjoy. It's a great lineup, no doubt.

I would still put Nintendo tops (mostly because they make more games that appeal to me) but Sony is no slouch either. They both offer different things and that's why I enjoy both.

It would definitely be taboo on gaf though. :/

Do you consider PSP part of this gen?
It spent almost all of it's life this gen so I'd consider it part of this gen. Same with DS.

apana

taboo. Not a wise thing to say on Neogaf

It's not really taboo to say that here on NeoGAF. This is an enthusiast oriented forum and I think there tend to be more Sony fans on here but the Nintendo fans are really passionate about the first party content in particular so it's kind of a wash. I personally think Nintendo first party historically is much better and even now is slightly ahead though the gap is narrowing. I also think Sony's more progressive philosphy towards first party content and the fact that they have ramped up first party development make them particularly popular among hardcore gamers.

El-Suave

I would agree, but the recent trend of solid new franchises underperforming and basically being shut down (i.e. Resistance, Motorstorm etc.) is negating this optimistic outlook. Those could have helped them going into the PS4 era but they've already died down unfortunately.
You never know how things would have developed and what 3rd party exclusives might have been in reach, but you could argue that if they had gotten the right one, it might have helped more than a few first party games with mediocre sales. Considering how much they spend on co-marketing already I'm thinking of a game like Assassin's Creed. But then again who knows if it would be the huge franchise it is today if it was only sold on one platform.

Y2Kev

Motorstorm is tragic because pacific rift and apocalypse are awesome but resistance sank itself when insomniac made r2. They ruined that franchise's future.

Sony's first party should be better since they're so big and have a shit ton of resources. Of course the downside to that is that their quality control is nowhere near as high as Nintendo. They need to get a serious handle on that. Games like Sorcery and Burning Skies should never come out at the quality that they are. Can them or improve the quality dramatically.

Takao

Banned
Sony's first party should be better since they're so big and have a shit ton of resources. Of course the downside to that is that their quality control is nowhere near as high as Nintendo. They need to get a serious handle on that. Games like Sorcery and Burning Skies should never come out at the quality that they are. Can them or improve the quality dramatically.

Sorcery didn't seem to be that bad. It really should've gotten JK Rowling's seal of approval alongside Wonderbook.

As for Burning Skies, you can easily save yourself from bad games by looking at a developer's track record. Nihilistic's track record doesn't inspire confidence yet they got to work on Jak, Ratchet, Sly, and Resistance.

Motorstorm is tragic because pacific rift and apocalypse are awesome but resistance sank itself when insomniac made r2. They ruined that franchise's future.

I still like the story and lore in Resistance 2 the best out of all Resisance games, but god dammit insomniac, who the hell thought removing weapon wheel is a good idea.

ASIS

Of course it's debatable - sure there are some awesome series/games like Wipeout & Uncharted and some great/good like GT, God Of War, Resistance & R&C but there are a lot of mediocre filler to their line-up IMO like Motorstorm, Socom, Killzone, LBP e.t.c.

It's a matter of preference but personally I'd prefer if they could focus on less projects with more quality, in other words they should stop putting out games just to up their numbers of exclusive titles.
This is all true, but if someone is a fan of Sony then they should be in heaven really. One advantage that Sony has over other first parties is that they can actually support a system with very few draughts all on their own. The list is just incredibly impressive.

Combichristoffersen

That's nothing compare to the pain of me never seeing another Legend of Dragoon game....

Sony gave you White Knight Chronicles instead *trollface*

They killed off Mark of Kri and Primal too. And probably a whole bunch of other PS2 IPs.

And while it wasn't a Sony-published game or even a PS2 exclusive, I'm still bummed the Darkwatch sequel never got released :(

So? The franchise was plenty active on PSP (Hot Shots Tennis, Hot Shots Shorties, etc.) in the down time, and HSG6 launched with Vita.

So? I like Hot Shots and couldn't give a shit about the portable versions. I want to see another console iteration and can't believe it's been over 5 years and I'm still waiting.

EDIT: And it's Everybody's Golf to me :)

Top Bottom