• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's CEO: PS5 is entering the latter half of its life cycle, hardware sales pace to start falling from the next fiscal year

tusharngf

giphy.gif

Killjoy-NL

I mean...the PS5 is going to be 4 years this year. So yeah...we're about to enter its 2nd half for a total of 8 years. Around 110/120M sold overall once all is said and done.

The Pro coming halfway through the gen.
MS is in trouble again, so it's time to resort to doom and gloom for Sony as usual.

Typical pattern.

Must be some bad news incoming tomorrow for a certain fanbase.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It hasn't been almost 4 years though, it's been 3 years and 3 months, i.e. 3¼ years.
Sorry I wasn't the best with math or dates. Still though I feel like the gen should be extended because we are getting pro models already... like wtf is this. By the time we get 3 years worth of games we'll be waiting for the ps6
Almost like there was a pandemic at the start of this gen.🤯
Yeah. And because of that the gen kind of sucks. Acknowledging covid doesn't suddenly make it better.

Man it's been almost 4 years and the exclusives library for the ps5 is still dry as fuck. How are we halfway across the gen?!?
Covid, the Ukraine-Russia war and now the Gaza-Israel conflict have brought a lot of problems, inflation, rising living cost, shortages and so much more. All of the above fucked up development of new games.

The company wants to maintain profits so price cuts have been very scarce (none at all). The PS4 at this point in time was already reduced 25% compared to its launch price.

Luckily, 2024 looks a bit better in terms of current gen games.

Man it's been almost 4 years and the exclusives library for the ps5 is still dry as fuck. How are we halfway across the gen?!?
Most studios will start pumping out their big guns in 2025. It was always going to be like that. If you think about it most studios haven't announced what they are working on.

As usual, the first few PS gens are carried by 3rd party stuff, crossgen titles and some exclusive content.

Covid and development cycles getting longer just means we gotta wait more for those huge years.

That's also why PS profits are in the dirt. Sony is paying for god knows how many of these huge AAA titles as we speak since many of these studios take almost half a decade to release anything.

If anything this just makes me excited for those 2025/2028 years.

There's also the fact that since these games are so damn expensive, Sony wants to have the most PS5 units out there possible and the biggest audience they can possibly have to release these huge productions. By 2025 they will have more than 70M units out there and games like GTAVI almost as an exclusive title (let's face it, no one is buying a Series X at that point) they will keep getting healthy sales for when their heavy hitters come out.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
"Help us Nintendo...you're our only hope"

On the other hand...this might not be a rough patch for traditional console game but rather a shift in customer spending.

Hope everyone took this guys advice and got phones.
ycMHQOy.png

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
When Sony exceed their sales target year by year = i sleep.
When Sony failed to hit their sales target this year = Sony is doomed.

Last edited:
In terms of length, I agree. But at least the feeling is that in terms of number of impactful releases, playstation is diminishing in each consecutive generation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
PS4 from PS3 was a significant downgrade of releases, but the sales increased considerable and made more profit than the previous gen, the same is happening with the PS5.

Problem is, the output strategy has been really weird, they had 3 major first party games in 2022, 1 in 2023 and none in 2024.

StereoVsn

Basically don’t expect price cuts. They are focusing on profitability vs trying to expand the audience. Personally I think that mindset may backfire, but we shall see.

Basically don’t expect price cuts. They are focusing on profitability vs trying to expand the audience. Personally I think that mindset may backfire, but we shall see.

They will price cut PS5 Slim, but will launch a PRO model for a higher price to offset the decline of the baseline model...

Just like they did last gen

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He didn't say it's now at the end of its life, the actual quote is:

“Looking ahead, PS5 will enter the latter stage of its life cycle,” said Sony senior vice president Naomi Matsuoka in comments reported by Bloomberg.

Will enter the latter stage. And yeah, in about 9 months it will be 4 years old, which is probably the halfway point.

All of you thinking this means it's gonna start winding down now are strongly overreacting and misinterpreting this.

Consoles tend to decline in the 2nd half of their life. No one should be surprised by this news.

I'm not sure that's true, the PS3 and PS4 both had their best years in the latter halves of their lives. Unless you mean in terms of console sales. Then, yeah, obviously that's gonna be lower in the last few years (which we're not in yet with the PS5).

Last edited:

StereoVsn

They will price cut PS5 Slim, but will launch a PRO model for a higher price to offset the decline of the baseline model...

Just like they did last gen
We shall see. If they only cut Slim DE by like $50 to bring it back to original price, that’s going to be a whole lot of nothing.

Top Bottom