• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Motion Control Line-Up screenshot thread

now kotaku is incorrectly quoting the pricing:

The Move will be available in three packages: a standalone Move (for consumers that already own a PlayStation Eye camera), a bundle that includes the Move and PlayStation Eye, and a hardware pack that includes the Move, PlayStation Eye and PlayStation 3 console.

While pricing details for the standalone pack and PS3 bundle are unavailable at this time, the Move + PlayStation Eye option will cost $99.

it's actually:
-Move (for those that own Eye)
-Move + Eye
-Move + Eye + Game for less than $99
-"bundled with a playstation 3 console" (which could mean eye, no eye, game, or no game, etc.)

they also said the subcontroller has motion control, despite people on the floor saying developers claimed it did not. which is it?

as far as 1:1 tracking is concerned, it appears to be on a case by case basis right now. as said from those that got hands-on with the fighting game- it interprets your gesture and then makes the character do a canned move based on your gesture (if you executed it correctly). the party game is 1:1 with augmented reality, and very smooth. the ping pong game appears to be a mix of both of those concepts. it appeared to move really smooth and fast, but had to be dumbed down and canned a little in order to ease the difficulty curve OF ACTUALLY PLAYING TABLE TENNIS. (100% 1:1 would be a terrible idea)

gladiators looked damn-near 1:1, and it seems to be a favorite among the hands-on crowd. as far as the internets hating on Move, i wonder if we are viewing the same sites with the exact same names. everyone seems to be pleasantly surprised by it, but just not liking the fighting game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lonely1 said:
Lower accuracy can relate to lag

If the orientation or position data is wrong, it won't increase the input latency. It'll put the cursor in the wrong position, but it won't delay reporting of that position to the game. People citing lag as support for a theory of ineffective orientation detection are stretching to say the least.

Lag's enough of a problem without throwing other things in with it :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lonely1 said:
Lower accuracy can relate to lag, but yes, this are early versions of the games. We can't be sure about one way or another at this time.

Wii Sports's controls were pretty spot-on six months before it came out...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
If the orientation or position data is wrong, it won't increase the input latency. It'll put the cursor in the wrong position, but it won't delay reporting of that position to the game. People citing lag as support for a theory of ineffective orientation detection are stretching to say the least.

Lag's enough of a problem without throwing other things in with it :lol
If your fine/fast rotation data is not reliable, choosing to wait or limit to more reliable data could be an option, introducing lag. Take into account that Move seems to be constantly calibrating itself.

That being said, lets wait before jumping to conclusions.

Andrex said:
Wii Sports's controls were pretty spot-on six months before it came out...

No no they weren't. As for the Wii controlls them selves, other then the pointer( which was always awesome) they were shit. The Wiimote was pretty horrible before M+.

AniHawk

J-Rzez said:
Oh, I see. Did you play WoW on the PS3? I think it's the bestest version. I have a 360 and games on it, but I have it just to laugh at, not to enjoy playing it's exclusives or games that more of my friends happen to own for said console instead of the PS3 version. Cranky, and a stalker to boot.

No stalking necessary in your case. You're the one saying that you're more of a real gamer because you prefer Sony games. Well Sony games and WoW gee wiz.

skee

Neo Member
Man, I dont know whats wrong with some of you guys. :lol Seriously, my wife and kid and I will have a blast playing these, and whatever other games Sony has patched to make compatible.

Yep, some of those games can be found on Wii. Some of them were decent fun. Now its the same concept on PS3. Its really not the end of the world.

AniHawk

skee said:
Yep, some of those games can be found on Wii. Some of them were decent fun. Now its the same concept on PS3. Its really not the end of the world.

Yeah people are blowing this way out of proportion. If this was E3 and these games were close to final and this was all Sony had for the next 2 years, then I guess people should freak out. But that's not the case.

J-Rzez

AniHawk said:
No stalking necessary in your case. You're the one saying that you're more of a real gamer because you prefer Sony games. Well Sony games and WoW gee wiz.

Yeah, I want more out of my games. I want decent stories, great set pieces, good va, excellent sound quality, proper graphics, good online components. To me, Sony trumps ninty in every regard there with their games like Uncharted 1 and 2, KZ2, etc. I also loved other games this gen like Chromehounds and I can't wait for Dead Rising 2. So yeah. thank you, come again.

I don't like these goofy mini-games one bit, but I'm sure there's casuals out there that will eat them up, or buy into it for "party gaming". All I want are the Uncharteds, KZs, etc. These controls will surely be applied to all of them, but I'm sure not a single one will force me to use them. I especially don't like the hit-box style movement. Maybe if Sony decided to put analogs on both the wand and sub thing, then maybe I could get into this pointer stuff.

EDIT: We can take this arousing discussion to pm's from here on out.

AniHawk

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, I want more out of my games. I want decent stories, great set pieces, good va, excellent sound quality, proper graphics, good online components. To me, Sony trumps ninty in every regard there with their games like Uncharted 1 and 2, KZ2, etc. I also loved other games this gen like Chromehounds and I can't wait for Dead Rising 2. So yeah. thank you, come again.

I don't like these goofy mini-games one bit, but I'm sure there's casuals out there that will eat them up, or buy into it for "party gaming". All I want are the Uncharteds, KZs, etc. These controls will surely be applied to all of them, but I'm sure not a single one will force me to use them. I especially don't like the hit-box style movement. Maybe if Sony decided to put analogs on both the wand and sub thing, then maybe I could get into this pointer stuff.

Thanks for explaining your position, that's all you needed to do.

Technical merits of the controller aside, I still find it a little goofy looking. Won't stop me picking one up though.

psmove.jpg

psmove21.jpg

psmove31.jpg

mr_chun

Bahaha, oh lawd. What has the Wii done to this generation? I hope this fails hard so Sony abandons it next gen, cause I switched from the Wii to the PS3 for a reason.

mr_chun said:
Bahaha, oh lawd. What has the Wii done to this generation? I hope this fails hard so Sony abandons it next gen, cause I switched from the Wii to the PS3 for a reason.

That reason is still there - I am dead certain that SCEWWS won't force this down their developer's throats. They have a pretty good history of nurturing their developers and let them pursue their own gaming dreams.

glaurung

This thread prompted me to order a ceramic white DS3 from renchi.

As for the motion controller... I remain skeptical until I can hold this thing in my hand.

I dislike the idea of having to modify my living room to allow for better camera conditions. I also dislike the lightweight camera itself that cannot be attached to any sensible plase (e.g. the TV).

eggandI

Banned
All of this looks like utter shit. I believe when I saw the Wii in 2005 my reaction was that motion control looked like gimmicky bs, 5 years later my opinion is still the same. If all the major franchises aren't there to back it up, if the technology isn't amazing, motion control will remain a gimmick.

_RT_

Am I the only person that has my ps3 on one side of the room and the tv on the opposite side?

The playstation eye just won't work for me.

At least with the Wii, I could a battery powered sensor bar.

I don't understand why Sony didn't do what Microsoft did and show something like Milo, i.e. software that smacks you in the face so hard that you don't doubt the innovation of the hardware. They need(ed) something that says "This is so much more advanced than the Wii, and is even a dumbed down version would only be possible on PS3".

I hope for their sake that they've saved something like that for E3, because all they're showing at the movement might as well be Wii Motion++, and I really don't think many people will be sold on that.

They need a 1st party designer in the mould of Miyamoto or Molyneux to really show other developers what's possible with their hardware.

_RT_ said:
Am I the only person that has my ps3 on one side of the room and the tv on the opposite side?

The playstation eye just won't work for me.

At least with the Wii, I could a battery powered sensor bar.
USB extension cable?

How do you get your PS3 video output to your TV?

Ploid 3.0

That down hill game looks interesting to me. It reminds me of the wacky JP games from the PSX days, before everything became hidh production and serious. Looks like it might be a PSN title.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
teiresias said:
Did Milo even have anything to do with Natal? I thought it was another Molyneux AI code demo more than anything.

Most of Milo demo was related to how the AI can use the camera and motion tracking to "understand" the player. It was inseparable from Natal.

Triple U

Banned
teiresias said:
Did Milo even have anything to do with Natal? I thought it was another Molyneux AI code demo more than anything.
This. The ai was by far the most impressive part of that demo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OuterWorldVoice said:
Most of Milo demo was related to how the AI can use the camera and motion tracking to "understand" the player. It was inseparable from Natal.

This is where you've an interesting conflation of software vs hardware innovation.

Milo, as we've seen it so far at least, really doesn't make any use of the hardware innovation in Natal. You could plug a webcam with a mic in and it probably wouldn't notice. At least from what they've shown.

It's still a fair point though, that Milo is a piece of software that is different from what people concieve of as 'Wii-like' software, whereas quite a bit of Sony's stuff is very Wii like.

thuway

Bungieware said:
I don't understand why Sony didn't do what Microsoft did and show something like Milo, i.e. software that smacks you in the face so hard that you don't doubt the innovation of the hardware. They need(ed) something that says "This is so much more advanced than the Wii, and is even a dumbed down version would only be possible on PS3".

I hope for their sake that they've saved something like that for E3, because all they're showing at the movement might as well be Wii Motion++, and I really don't think many people will be sold on that.

They need a 1st party designer in the mould of Miyamoto or Molyneux to really show other developers what's possible with their hardware.

wow 100% agreed on all counts junior. good points all around.

nismor2

Banned
Remember that Sony said this is just a small sample and they will show more at E3. They still have another venue to show the big guns. They going head to head with the NATAL at E3, why not hold of the good stuff for that showdown at E3.

SolidSnakex said:
As I said earlier, this is the most interesting game that they've shown so far. It looks like a ton of fun.

It does. Although in the video I couldn't really tell how the control is used. Plus it would've been nicer if the guy playing didn't totally suck at it.

Eteric Rice

POWERSPHERE said:
One day we'll all look back and laugh...

...right?

Nope, motion controls are part of the future now.

Note that this doesn't mean buttons are going away, just that they're going to have motion controls too.

filopilo

I don't understand why Sony didn't do what Microsoft did and show something like Milo, i.e. software that smacks you in the face so hard that you don't doubt the innovation of the hardware.

They tried that kind of approach with the killzone 2 2005 trailer...

OuterWorldVoice said:

Except Milo was reportedly being controlled by a person with a controller. Regardless, just about any webcam on the market is capable of detecting facial features and responses as rudimentary as what Milo was portraying.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gofreak said:
This is where you've an interesting conflation of software vs hardware innovation.

Milo, as we've seen it so far at least, really doesn't make any use of the hardware innovation in Natal. You could plug a webcam with a mic in and it probably wouldn't notice. At least from what they've shown.

It's still a fair point though, that Milo is a piece of software that is different from what people concieve of as 'Wii-like' software, whereas quite a bit of Sony's stuff is very Wii like.

I'm not saying Milo can't be done without Natal - but there are some aspects of it that lean heavily on it, heavily enough that it's a natural fit. And if it uses extensive depth-mapping for anything then it gets closer still.

since this is PS Move's lineup screenshot thread, I'll just post this screen caps from sony motion control trailer. I already post this in the other Sony GDC thread even though this thread is probably more appropriate, I think it's the flashlight game that has been shown in 2 separate montages but we haven't heard anything about it before.

2jewgih.jpg

28ipwk6.jpg

Top Bottom