• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Motion Control Line-Up screenshot thread

VALIS

Ugh. If it's cheap (<$30) I might give it a shot some day, but I'm definitely not going out of my way for it. Goddamn I hope MS doesn't do this "Wii+" stuff with Natal. They most likely will. :(

Gomu Gomu

155taiw.jpg

Sony always made things more cool and sexy until now :(

how are they going to market this shit? The hardcore gamers that make up their fan base did not call the Wiimote "Waggle" because they wanted it

what now, a Two Waggle future?

skulpt

Kotaku's take on table tennis:

Table Tennis was the other game I had a chance to spend some time playing.

While volleying in the game was very precise, allowing me to execute heavy spins, lobs and slams, I was thrown a bit by the serving mechanism, which I could never quite master.

To play this game use use a single controller, and the camera watches your body location to see how sideways you're turned to the screen and, much more importantly, how close or far away you are from the table.

Serving required pressing a button to toss the ball up and then swinging the controller to hit the ball. Despite having no issues in volleys, every time I tried to serve I ended up mistiming the serve which caused the ball to magically freeze in mid air until I hit it.

Once the ball was in action, though, it was an amazing experience, perfectly detecting how I held the paddle to let me serve up slices and spins with perfect precision. It also did a great job of knowing where I was standing in relation to the table, so when I stepped back to lob a shot it reacted perfectly and when I crowded the table to slam the ball that worked too.

Maybe the serve issues I was having were all me, but I'd love to see it tweaked. If that gets worked out, this could be a fantastic game.

Looks like there could be some practical uses to this controller after all. Sounds like the accurate tracking of the tilt and angle of the handle is something where this could really shine.

http://kotaku.com/5490575/hands+on-with-playstation-moves-wii-sports-resort

Tmac

This is actually great. Thats what i love about sony. They are a multi layered game company, with great capacity of creating complete different stuff, even if some of that looks like crap to most of gaf audience. But remember, gaf is just part of the game market.

The obvious comparison is microsoft. They are very capable of creating great games/enviroment for a certain audience. No doubt about it, but they lack sony skillz to reach a more "global" market.

-DarKaoZ- said:
I just hope this games are DLC and not disc games, because I hardly see myself paying 60 bux for them. =/

I could see Sony releasing some of the smaller game ideas on psn and through retail for $29.99 instead of $59.99

image-99D5_4B9856AE.gif

Yeah, some of this stuff looks like the sort of thing expected from bottom of the barrel level of stuff coming out of low budget third parties releases cashing in on the controller...not stuff out of Sony meant to be someone's first impression of the software and controller. It's almost offensively unappealing the way that Home looks ugly in its too-refined plasticine metrosexual or just out of Hot Topic trendiness. The constant distortion of proportion and use of angles on the bodies on some of that stuff... Couple the dead-eye'd look of captured frames of video for face textures for some of those and it all just looks so...trashy. Hopefully, this is all just very placeholdery-rushed-for-show looks.

It's bad enough that the software it has debuted itself with comes across as so very specifically like-for-like game activities for well-known Wii and Eyetoy/PS Eye titles with nary a hint of something truly new and remarkable to make clear just why you can't live without this controller (yeah, yeah...accuracy...blah, blah)...but coupled with some rather unappealing looking visuals...it's just so...ummm...below the usually high Sony standards of well-crafted showmanship and seemingly perfect sense of Sony style. Hopefully, so far unannounced/unrevealed first party efforts and the third parties can save them with more than HD port 'em ups of Wii titles.

seady

You know the game will fail when it totally lacks charm. How are they going to make this into a franchise that people will talk about with art like that?

Those TV ones are even more chilling when you start to imagine all the weird shit people are going to point their cameras at to make the faces.

Scary stuff.

The sports one looks like the only worthwhile collection of minigames.

I know Sony is planning on getting real third party support out of the gate here with this but these games look like nothing but tired shovelware overall (check out the gritty street fighter's tattoo...."Don't Tread on Me" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol )

Takao said:
"Hey Developers, Move does this. Port all successful Wii games to Move."

I see that aspect of it and it does seem logical but at the same time, most developers (the smart ones anyways) can see right through this. Not only that, but how would investor's feel if they knew that this is just Sony's way to take a slice of the wii pie. It doesn't seem like the most profitable business plan if you ask me, after seeing the wii do this and succeed i feel honestly feel any imitation of motion is just gimmicky. That it is unless something completely original came out of this, which I really hope it does. I just see this as the start of shovelware being thrown at something that was once upon a time called "the most powerful and complex console".

But on the other hand, tons of money must've been thrown at the idea of motion control on a playstation console, so investors must not really care, to them MOTION CONTROL = MONEY.

I just hope with this current gen of consoles something is done where others fail (i use fail loosely because technically the wiimote did its job which was to make nintendo home consoles relevant again), i guess Natal may be close to it, but with the whole Milo project, all it achieves, to me, is taking a good shot at crossing the uncanny valley by completely engulfing yourself in a virtual world.

lets just hope PC games don't start using motion controls that involve pseudo excercising

Before we make too much fun of these screenshots, maybe we should wait for the most likely equally embarrassing Natal launch lineup.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Neuromancer said:
Before we make too much fun of these screenshots, maybe we should wait for the most likely equally embarrassing Natal launch lineup.

We can do both. It'll be like having Christmas in July and December.

LCfiner

the characters in the table tennis game look awful. :lol

anyway, I don’t want to be overly negative for this. it could be fun. that fighting game looks cool.

Neuromancer, yeah, I’m kinda worried the Natal launch lineup will be just as underwhelming at E3.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, some of this stuff looks like the sort of thing expected from bottom of the barrel level of stuff coming out of low budget third parties releases cashing in on the controller...not stuff out of Sony meant to be someone's first impression of the software and controller.
Pretty much this. Very spot on.

Sony needed to copy Nintendo on this, not Bob's Fish and Insurance Game Studio.

LCfiner

Princess Skittles said:
Pretty much this. Very spot on.

Sony needed to copy Nintendo on this, not Bob's Fish and Insurance Game Studio.

just goes to show how hard it is to copy Nintendo. they’ve made it look easy with the Wii software but it’s really hard to make something that’s simple, fun and appeals to a large number of people.

scotcheggz

ITS ROBOTIMUS CRIME AND ITS YOUR TIME TO SHINE

DID YOU SEE THAT?!

Sports game looked ok if it will cost me £5, boxing game looked slow and unresponsive, everything else was just plain nasty. Didn't see anything here I haven't seen when my mum and sister play their shovelware bonanza at christmas.

smh sony. smh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Shoot looks like a pretty meh shooting gallery, almost like the Super Scope 6 games or some of the WiiWare shooting galleries. Move Party looks like terrible EyeToy garbage. TV SuperStars looks like terrible EyeToy garbage. Sports Champions looks functionally equivalent to Wii Sports but the more realistic look really doesn't befit it--it falls into that ugly sort of middle HOME look.

Motion Fighter looks excellent.

... can't say this was an encouraging debut.

Still, ModNation Racers is Sony's next first party title! So hyped!

wizword

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The Shoot looks like a pretty meh shooting gallery, almost like the Super Scope 6 games or some of the WiiWare shooting galleries. Move Party looks like terrible EyeToy garbage. TV SuperStars looks like terrible EyeToy garbage. Sports Champions looks functionally equivalent to Wii Sports but the more realistic look really doesn't befit it--it falls into that ugly sort of middle HOME look.

Motion Fighter looks excellent.

... can't say this was an encouraging debut.
Motion fighter looks to be the worst game. The game controls look completely unresponsive. The gladiator/ping pong game were the two games that looked decent. Sony really didn't push any resources for these games. They look worse than ps3 launch titles besides socom 4.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
LabouredSubterfuge said:
You're probably right but the Wii got a free pass for doing so.

That may be so, but Nintendo didn't have the advantage of 3-4 years of looking at what another company did right and what they did wrong. Sony's kind of botched this reveal. It was excusable when Nintendo first unveiled the Wii remote with a Metroid Prime tech demo that had been modified in a couple of weeks. It was even excusable (though amusing) when Sony did it with Warhawk (wasn't that the game they unveiled the Sixaxis with?). But that was four years ago. Sony's had a lot of time to put together a better initial showing.

All that said, GAF wasn't exactly expecting Wii to be the best-selling console of the generation, so don't put too much stock in the :lol's directed at Sony.

surly

Banned
Nintendo should be extremely concerned IMO, because for £100 more than the cost of the Wii + the cost of the Sony Move + the cost of the sub-controller, you can play pretty much the same games you can play on the Wii, but in HD and with more accuracy, which are of extreme concern to the casual crowd.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
surly said:
Nintendo should be extremely concerned IMO, because for £100 more than the cost of the Wii + the cost of the Sony Move + the cost of the sub-controller, you can play pretty much the same games you can play on the Wii, but in HD and with more accuracy, which are of extreme concern to the casual crowd.

You are not Astrolad.

RBH

surly said:
:lol

jiggle

what an unimpressive lineup so far
Sports Champion is the only one that I could see myself enjoying
not surprising since that tech demo was the stand out from last year's E3

they better HOPE Square Enix is making something good if they want me to buy one
DQs/FFCC2 ports or new games i wonder...

also suprised to see Gust on the 3rd Party list
this could add quite an interesting element to the alchemy part in Atelier

expecting lots of up-ports from Atlus and Marvelous

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Will these games have online play, you think? I would actually really be into table tennis.

Top Bottom