• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

hymanator

After using a Vita and a Playstation TV to do remote play, I am worried if this will be a laggy mess like the PSTV or run smooth like the Vita.

Owensboro

Oh cool! People are already getting the phone? Awesome, can some of you who own it let us know how Remote play works on a "different" wifi........
I have a sony xperia z3 but when I try to start the app via
playstationapp tells me that the remote play feature is not yet available on Google Play Store , how do I make it work ?

It probably won't until PS4 2.0 firmware.

Well bummer. Considering the PS4 firmware jumps in such small increments, when are they planning on releasing 2.0?

That is genuinely awesome.

You can also leave the flaps permanently closed and charge via the magnetic charging port.

I have a z1c, and it has been great but sad to see they are not planning to officially port the app to it. Still, I have a vita, so I get my remote play fix either way.

How do you charge via the magnetic port? I didn't realise that's what the two little copper pins were for. Does the standard charger do it or do you need a different charging device?

So now I've bought myself a cover to hide the back and I normally don't like to use covers :/

Out of interest I'm looking to buy a cover for mine; can you recommend one?

I HAVE A Z3 COMPACT!!!

I don't have a ps4 though...

Yeah me too, got it a week ago and absolutely love it so far. Having come from a Galaxy S-III I like the size and form factor of this much better.

Z3 Compact is a great phone and has survived a drop on concrete and bath time. My biggest complaint with it is the fact Netflix is unusable due to audio lag.

I've not had any trouble with Netflix, but YouTube loads very slowly for me. I didn't know whether it was a problem with the phone or my network (Three).

Owensboro

Doh! I've seen that thread's title on GAF a million times and just never put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

I've got my fingers crossed it's sooner rather than later. As sad as it is, I'm definitely not pulling the trigger on this phone until I hear that feature works well. I only get a new phone every 2-3 years, so they need to last a while :)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

How do you charge via the magnetic port? I didn't realise that's what the two little copper pins were for. Does the standard charger do it or do you need a different charging device?

You can either buy a cradle which has the magnetic connector and is officially made by sony, or if you prefer a cable, you can buy one off eBay. I bought the cable off of eBay myself.

I might get this as my next phone. I'm worried that having remote play will make me want to buy a PlayStation 4 though...It's this or a Note 4 and the option for the VR Headset.

Anarion07

Does anyone know how to move the clock on the lockscreen?
Tried a lot of stuff, but nothing worked so far.
The guide for the old Xperia Z doesn't work either.

I mean.. look at this...

screenshot_2014-10-20f0u64.png

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Oh cool! People are already getting the phone? Awesome, can some of you who own it let us know how Remote play works on a "different" wifi........

Well bummer. Considering the PS4 firmware jumps in such small increments, when are they planning on releasing 2.0?

Xperia Remote Play goes live in November.
PS4™ Remote Play: gaming technology, revolutionized

Exclusive to Xperia smartphones and tablets, PS4 Remote Play gives you access to PS4 games anywhere in your home*.

*Functionality available on the Sony Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact, and Z3 Tablet Compact starting from November 2014. PS4 System, DUALSHOCK®4, Sony Entertainment Network, and high-speed internet connection required. Some games may not support this feature.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/tablets/xperia-z3-tablet-compact/features/#gaming

Pinktaco

The funny thing is if you had a decent cover to begin with you wouldn't have had a cracked phone. :(

I realize that, but I don't pay money for a phone to look great and then cover it up in a cover. It's just stupid. My GF have an IPhone 5S and have covered it up since day one in ugly ass covers. I just don't see the point tbh.

Anyway shit happens I suppose. Why Sony decided to go with glass though is beyond me. Maybe the regular Z3 isn't with glass, I dunno.

Pinktaco

Out of interest I'm looking to buy a cover for mine; can you recommend one?

Yeah me too, got it a week ago and absolutely love it so far. Having come from a Galaxy S-III I like the size and form factor of this much better.

I've not had any trouble with Netflix, but YouTube loads very slowly for me. I didn't know whether it was a problem with the phone or my network (Three).

I bought one similar to this: http://www.mobilcovers.dk/products/sony-xperia-z3-compact-laeder-etui-m-pung-sort

Arttemis

Massively pissed that Sony hasn't figured a way to get the Z3 Compact into carrier stores like Verizon, AT&T, and T Mobile. I don't want a 5"+ screen. I don't want unnecessarily high DPI and resolution bogging down the phone's CPU/GPU and battery. I just want a normal sized, sturdy phone with great performance and battery life. That's what Sony made, and the carriers aren't stocking it, which sucks.

There are already Z4/Z4c leaks, though, so maybe I'll just wait another six months.

pooptest

Massively pissed that Sony hasn't figured a way to get the Z3 Compact into carrier stores like Verizon, AT&T, and T Mobile.

There are already Z4/Z4c leaks, though, so maybe I'll just wait another six months.

I'm probably going to do the same. I want the Z4, and since the Z3 only came to Verizon and T-Mobile, I find it unlikely the Z4 hits either of those carriers so quick after the Z3. Sooooooo, hoping the Z4 comes to AT&T so I can get it without dealing with unlocked pricing.

I'm really close to biting the bullet on one of these phones. I'm going to wait until the reviews for the Z3v are out but I'm probably going to switch to TMo and pick up the Z3 from them.

I'm probably going to do the same. I want the Z4, and since the Z3 only came to Verizon and T-Mobile, I find it unlikely the Z4 hits either of those carriers so quick after the Z3. Sooooooo, hoping the Z4 comes to AT&T so I can get it without dealing with unlocked pricing.

I always find it amazing that people will start talking about the next model of Android phones before the current one even hits stores

dhonk

While this is cool, I would definitely use this sparingly. Turning your brand new 800 dollar phones internal temperature up to something roughly equaling the suns carona on a daily basis probably isn't good for the longevity of the phone.

All the phone is doing is streaming video. If their phone can't handle steaming video then the device is nigh useless.

fcobento

Neo Member
I always find it amazing that people will start talking about the next model of Android phones before the current one even hits stores

When it comes to sony, its not really that amazing....
They are releasing one high end phone every 6 months. You cant help the feeling of buying something that will no longer be the top phone in a matter of months.

I want the Z3... but it still hasnt been released in brazil. So i might as well wait for the z4 and hope they fix the overheating camera issue.

I realize that, but I don't pay money for a phone to look great and then cover it up in a cover. It's just stupid. My GF have an IPhone 5S and have covered it up since day one in ugly ass covers. I just don't see the point tbh.

Anyway shit happens I suppose. Why Sony decided to go with glass though is beyond me. Maybe the regular Z3 isn't with glass, I dunno.

I'm like you however I can't stand scratches on my screens (can deal with the mega dents I did to the bezel because my Z1 is tough) so I bought one of this and life is good.
Front and back
http://www.evolutivelabs.com/collections/screen-protector-for-sony-xperia

I recommend this one's because I use it but if you have a preferred brand no problem too.

AkuMifune

Banned
Picked up an Xperia Z3v today. Can't wait to unbox the damn thing. So now I have that and a Vita and no PS4.

Time to start eating Taco Bell I guess.

Withnail

For those that didn't want to upgrade after just upgrading to the Z2
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/10/1...mote-play-heading-to-xperia-z2-and-z2-tablet/

was kinda obvious as it's technically the same phone.

FWIW, the Xperia Lounge page which is the source of that article has now been edited by Sony to remove the reference to Z2/Z2T.

But Z2 is shortly getting a firmware update which is expected to be very close if not identical to the Z3 firmware (through comparison of build numbers), so maybe there is still hope.

jaydogg691

I've had my Z3 since Wednesday, but finally getting the time to use this beauty. Going on my battery drain test and this thing still isn't dead. Will post updates on Remote play when it's available. Loving this phone so far.

BibiMaghoo

Really would want one of these, but £500 - yes, not dollars - is over what I can justify. I have a phone that works fine, so it would be an upgrade just for RP. I'll wait for them to come down a bit I think.

KAL2006

Banned
It would be cool if I can just buy the mount and use it with my Vita. I don't mind rmeote play on the Vita, it's just the controls that annoy me.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
if only Sony would market them and get on all carriers in the U.S

SMH...I want one right now!!

btw--does Z3 have Android L yet?

Early 2015.
We’re bringing Android 5.0; Lollipop to the entire Xperia Z Series

You’ve probably seen Google unveil Android version 5.0; Lollipop…

Since the initial reveal of the Android “L” Developer Preview, we’ve seen lots of questions on our upgrade roadmap about our plans – so, here goes…

We’ll be making Sony Mobile’s Android “L” upgrade available for the entire premium Z series*: including Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1S, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3v, Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition devices will be first up – we’ll be back with more details on that soon.

We’ll start the upgrade at beginning of 2015 for the core Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z2 series – continuing thereafter for all remaining devices above.

EekTheKat

Ordered a Z3C -

remote play was impressive enough on a vita from China to the US while I was away, so I figure I'd give this a try. It would be nice to keep my traveling kit down to a single device.

Looks like I'm embracing freedom and jumping ship from iOS when this phone arrives. Hopefully I don't crater when I make the leap.

fcobento

Neo Member
I've had my Z3 since Wednesday, but finally getting the time to use this beauty. Going on my battery drain test and this thing still isn't dead. Will post updates on Remote play when it's available. Loving this phone so far.

Please, tell us what you thought about the battery!!! I am almost buying it using my terrible S4 battery life as an excuse and this is what matters the most to me!!

How did you do the test? What was the battery life on your older phone and how does it hold up?

Haxxona

Banned
Please, tell us what you thought about the battery!!! I am almost buying it using my terrible S4 battery life as an excuse and this is what matters the most to me!!

How did you do the test? What was the battery life on your older phone and how does it hold up?
my Z2 battery life is freaking awesome and it only got topped by Z3 recently so rest assured it is one of the better ones out there.

Got my z3 compact today after having a nexus 4 the last 2 years, and early impressions are extremely good.
My nexus 4 battery was terrible, sometimes lasting just 6 hours on a full charge or discharging while on charge.
Battery life of the z3 was a major selling point.

The remote play was advertised as November, guessing that's a safe time frame because they didn't have a set date for ps4 2.0 then.

spwolf

i just got mine... my carrier (EU) had really good deal on Z3 that I could not pass.

I really like it so far... previous phone was Moto G and it had really good battery life - almost two days, with some optimizations via xposed but also few always active apps as well.

So when I just started my Z3, it seemed to drain kind of fast, then I disabled smart screen option and battery drain seems to have stopped. In any case, got up 6 AM, now it is 3 AM and 45% battery left... thats pretty good for the first charge plus I played with it a lot.

I dont even want to disable anything yet or activate stamina - my bluetooth is on all the time and i put all of my messengers on right away (5 apps).

I want to use it for a week with default settings just to see whats the batter like on that... then I will disable everything that I dont need and see how good is that.

By then hopefully we will get root without bootloader unlock and that will let me install xposed and plugins to test even more.

Of course, compared to my Moto G - so much better.... screen, build quality, camera, speed - i thought my G was fast enough now it seems jerky and slow. I still like the phone a lot and its battery was pretty great for my usage.

I also bought G2 for my wifey... and it is a nice phone but Z3 blows it out of the water in build quality. I also tried camera for 2 minutes on both, and on auto modes just quick few pics, there is night and day difference between the two during night mode - most Z3 pics in s-auto were really good (nighttime with weird lighting in the house) while G2 produced a lot worse shots. Sony's skin is also very close to stock and it looks great, plus themes are pretty great too... G2 skin is really outdated and it looks very old.

I am not going to change roms on either of them for a while now.

Top Bottom