• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

acklame

Just tried it last night and it worked great. I definitely need that game control mount though. Any idea where I can buy one?

Works like crap for me on a Z3 compact, sat 2 feet from my router and another 2 feet from the PS4 half the time I get "Connection is too slow to connect" and the other half I connect for about 30 seconds, see a terrible quality video and it then drops out.

I live in a built up area so I can understand that my Wifi situation isn't perfect but I can stream Sky & Netflix fine through the PS4, there's no excuse for it to be this terrible.

I'll try some other stuff this evening to see if it's something I can resolve through the router but not impressed at all by the lack of support or documentation.

maybe is your router choking with the demand?

also fucking cool is coming to the z2 tablet too bad it wont for my z1. i just wonder how good it will look on the tablet due to the 1980x1200 resolution

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Got a Powerlan adapter today so my PS4 is now effectively hardwired, checked all the bandwidth on that and it's working great. Remote Play still doesn't work in games, and reliably drops after a couple of minutes even if I'm just sat on the menu.

From looking around it seems like lots of people have problems but there's no way to know if it's going to work for you, Wireless G/AC, different routers, doesn't seem like anything makes a reliable difference.

Would be nice if the Remote play app at least told you what your bandwidth was rather than just refusing to work because of it.

Koppai

I know this is the Z3 thread.

But would an Xperia Z2 work with AT&T and on 4G LTE? My friend seems to think the 4G LTE wouldn't work.

Please...

Koppai

I believe you would need to root it, I think the restriction is by Sony to those devices specifically.

And if I were to buy one directly from Sony's online store do you think I would still have to do that? I don't want to get into phone hacking/rooting or whatever. I want shit to work out of the box if I am paying a small fortune for it.

And if I were to buy one directly from Sony's online store do you think I would still have to do that? I don't want to get into phone hacking/rooting or whatever. I want shit to work out of the box if I am paying a small fortune for it.

Actually as soon as I posted that, Sony did say in the coming weeks something about the Z2 will be getting Remote play, but knowing Sony, I would wait for something concrete regarding this feature being extended. Honestly, wait.

Koppai

Actually as soon as I posted that, Sony did say in the coming weeks something about the Z2 will be getting Remote play, but knowing Sony, I would wait for something concrete regarding this feature being extended. Honestly, wait.

Meh nevermind, just gonna claim insurance for the phone, they said it's only $150 to replace so will just stick with it I guess. -_-;

Got a Powerlan adapter today so my PS4 is now effectively hardwired,.

I don't want to be too pessimistic but a powerlan adapter is not the same as being wired. Forget the bandwidth, if you check the latency point to point you will probably find that it is variable as the adapter must batch up data and do error correction for noise etc. You might have a perfect situation for it - but frequently it hardly improves on good wifi.

demolitio

Tried it out and enjoyed it more than my Vita. I just wish I could find a good case for my phone so I don't feel so nervous out in public after reading reviews of the glass easily cracking.

Anyone have any suggestions for a Z3 case?

krudd

Neo Member
Just tried it out on my Z3c from work WiFi and my PS4 at home and it worked awesomely.

I do have a 70mb connection at home though the PS4 was connected via Wifi which usually gives around 25/30 through the walls of the apartment. I also live about 3.7 miles from my work.

remote_play.jpg

It not allowing it over 4G/LTE is a bit crap.

Sync'd it with a DS4 and it played great though I had to leave the PS4 on this morning as the Rest Mode didn't seem to work even when I was on local Wifi.

Septic360

Banned
Okay...the Z3 is not water proof. After submerging it in a pool for less than 30 seconds, the screen has died completely.

Ridiculous. Now I'm on a holiday with a phone that doesn't work....great...

Frankiebass

Neo Member
Okay...the Z3 is not water proof. After submerging it in a pool for less than 30 seconds, the screen has died completely.

Ridiculous. Now I'm on a holiday with a phone that doesn't work....great...

Are you sure the flap was closed completely? It is a waterproof phone, you might have a defective unit. Sony covers it, it's worth contacting them.

You can also test the pressure yourself, entering a number combination on the dialer. Don't know much more, but you can search online.

Kinan

Ok, got my Z3C last week, love the phone! Perfect size for me, excellent battery life, faster than anything mobile I had before. Gosh, I can open gif heavy thread on gaf and scroll through it on full spead without any redraws or slow ups. And that LBP theme is so good and adorable. :)

Also tried remote play, works as advertised, but i found the screen is tad too small for me, was constantly moving display closer to read text/etc. Definitely would recommend to get Z3 or Z3 Tablet if you are seriously wants to use remote play extensively.

L.O.R.D

i think i'll get the Z3 compact
i don't have PS4
but , does it stream PC game to the phone ?
and how ?

also , is there a way to connect the 360 wireless controller to it ?
if i am streaming from PC to the Z3C , the controller should connect to my PC , how i can make the controller hold the phone ?

DieH@rd

Banned
i think i'll get the Z3 compact
i don't have PS4
but , does it stream PC game to the phone ?
and how ?

No.

PC games can shared in real-time either via "steam home sharing" to other Steam clients [Win/Linux/Mac], or to Nvidia Shield/Nvidia Shield Tablet via Nvidia game streaming.

I can't get the Game Control Mount + Z3 Tablet out of my mind. Such an awesome combination for emulators and Android games.

I recently got a Z3 phone but I'm thinking I should've got a Z3 Tablet and used Skype for phone calls. That 8inch screen is just too delicious.

Septic360

Banned
Are you sure the flap was closed completely? It is a waterproof phone, you might have a defective unit. Sony covers it, it's worth contacting them.

You can also test the pressure yourself, entering a number combination on the dialer. Don't know much more, but you can search online.

Yeah all the flaps were shut, I made sure of it. The primary reason I got it was that it was water proof so I could use it at a spa party. Put a downer on the whole thing :'(

Got a replacement through the retailer coming in though,

I'll be weary about submerging this in water next time though :S

L.O.R.D

that strange
i just hold the phone (Z3C) my self and found it smaller then the HTX 8X
the HTC have 4.3 screen
Z3C have 4.65 screen

U4z3lmV.jpg

i find it annoying its smaller then my current mobile
i want a bigger , but not big as 5 inch mobile

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone who actually tried it confirm if Z3 remote play is 1080p or 720p ? and 30fps/ 60fps?

DieH@rd

Banned
Its 720p30, same as with VitaTV, SharePlay and PSNow. [Vita gets 544p30 so it can hit native resolution of its screen].

LifeLike

Its 720p30, same as with VitaTV, SharePlay and PSNow. [Vita gets 544p30 so it can hit native resolution of its screen].

Z3 compact is 720p so I suppose it can also hit its native resolution.

I have played The last of us on my z3 compact and it's looking pretty good.

I'm still looking for the GMC10 from Sony. I think it's not even available yet.

Taz

Tried it on my Z3C and I'm super impressed, screen size is fine for me even playing Destany had no issues with connection with my PS4 been hard wired to my router.

10 out of 10 for me using it quite alot now.

Danneee

So, I upgraded my router from an Asus N56U to an N66U and the difference in remote play quality is very noticeable, with the old router I could barely hold a connection on 2.4ghz in my bedroom which is just 7m away and behind a pretty WiFi unfriendly wall.
Now I can use 5ghz with very good results.

So if you're experiencing bad connections, it's probably your router. If you're connecting through that instead of directly to your ps4 that is.

Top Bottom