• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

It is, for the most part. In every way, Link being a girl in one of the games would be acceptable (for lore reasons, for representation reasons, for variety, etc.).

But here we are
I'm surprised with how popular Avatar The Last Airbender is more people aren't open to this idea when it's literally the same concept with Link and Zelda.

I know the first half of Korra's run was awful, but the concept still has its benefits.

Lets gender bend all the character! I mean it's much better to take a character with no personality and make them a woman instead of making engaging and unique new female characters! I for one would much rather have Maria and Louise the Italian Plumbers and Linkette than brand new, interesting characters.
I imagine most people see having a reincarnating character who's different in each game being a chick in one game is more likely than Nintendo developing spin-offs for Zelda/Sheik/Midna/Impa/etc.

I mean I'd vastly prefer the latter (partially why Hyrule Warriors was so great despite not being a bit Dynasty Warriors fan), but the former seems more likely at this rate and Link more often than not strikes me as an avatar without a gender option than the Hyrule equivalent of Mario & Luigi.

y cant metroid girl
space jellyfish are asexual you albiest shitlord

Skyzard

Banned
In the lore yes, but outside of it he is an iconic character. And Nintendo uses his best/modern design to represent this character. See for example Link's amiibo. Despite of heavily inspired in TP they do not treat it as TP Link, just Link. And that's the Link we still want to be male, despite of lore possibilities. Even though most of people here are not against a Zelda with a female main character we just want them to mantain Link as he is with the minimum changes possible. Also when the guy from PR says that Link is a dude he's not talking about Triforce Heroes Link but the character from Nintendo.

Yeah totally just like Paper Mario is a completely different person than Mario.

Fair enough. Playing as Zelda may be the way to go if they're going to try this. Maybe they can work on their ai and have link come with you for some of it. They should hire a real smart guy and get some tips.

so I admit to missing the Zelda train for the past decade, but when did developers/directors/creative people at Nintendo start caring about being faithful to Zelda Canon?

wasn't one of the big "problems" with Zelda continuity that they just kind of recycled place names and ideas sort of but never really bother to explain why Zoras are asshole lizard things in this game and Zoras are sleek peaceful merpeople with sometimes breasts in another?

whatever. leaving this thread before I start actually discussing the latest multiple links theory and how each of the Capcom game boy spinoffs fit in with how the sage Farore got stuck doing clerical work in a giant tree and of course I've got great notes from Hyrule Historia and a half dozen really well written fanfictions supporting everything.

I guess I'm just mystified as to how people form an emotional attachment to a character that has the personality and identity of a cardboard box to the point of resisting any amount of change to that.
Well plenty of people were enamored with gaming characters back when they were nothing but sprites, it's not hard to understand.

I guess I'm just mystified as to how people form an emotional attachment to a character that has the personality and identity of a cardboard box to the point of resisting any amount of change to that.
I think you're forgetting 'It's Zelda not Celda!' from over a decade ago. People have gotten super attached to elements of the franchise and character that changed regardless before.

Skyzard

Banned
Enamored is a better word than role model but they do represent you at some point/to some extent.

Maybe like same sort of thing that Jake Sully felt with his avatar as he controlled it, even though it's not kicking without him, but less of an attachment of course...
Calm your wet panties, I watched it once. Wouldn't mind watching it again though.

The stuff they attach to is really arbitary too. No one bitched and moaned when Link suddenly became right handed in the wii games, despite the fact that being a southpaw is about as iconic for Link as wearing green.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just make sure Ganondorf stays the same. I care not for much else.

Link is merely a static character that is supposed to link to the player so the design should be ambiguous.

Much like how the player character from Sakura Samurai is a guy but honestly could bend either way due to player interpretation.

balgajo

If they made a Zelda game, would they call it Link?

Probably not. Aonuma one time said that one of the cools thing about the series is that the name is The Legend of Zelda and the protagonist is Link. So they might change for something like The Legend of Link or whatever...XD

-Horizon-

So... wait, why is Link's gender suddenly a big drama?
Remember when Zelda U was first shown at E3 a while back? One speculation thing led to another after the trailer was shown and then Aonuma had to go and say 'that might not be Link per se' or something to that effect. Aonuma later said it was a joke but it's too late now, the seeds of revolution have been planted >:D

The stuff they attach to is really arbitary too. No one bitched and moaned when Link suddenly became right handed in the wii games, despite the fact that being a southpaw is about as iconic for Link as wearing green.
Probably because changing his hand doesn't change the way he looks, that and he was ambidextrous in the original.

It'd be funny if modbot came in and locked the thread. I'm pretty sure the other mods could figure out which particular mod was operating modbot at that time though... Not complete sure how it works.

-Eddman-

I'm sure you demand this for all the products from all entertainment companies...

Well, this thread is a response to Nintendo's PR answer to the lack of a playable female character in the new Zelda game. Nintendo as a company has stated multiple times that gameplay and family fun are more important to them than lore or cinematic experiences. But this time the developer said, "oh, there's no girls because the lore demanded only guys".

I'm not outraged or anything, I don't mind if Link is a boy, a girl, or a rabbit, like he already was in the SNES game. I just pointed out Nintendo could have easily avoided the negative reactions if they just make sure all of their multiplayer, family oriented games have multiple playable characters of different genres as a policy. That's all.

I'm sure a few Links could have been girls and no one would have noticed. LoZ isn't a series that concerns itself with much more than adventure. Just have a girl put on the outfit and it'll be the same game from there on out.

213372bu

Banned
I don't know why Link gets all the attention. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to change Mario to Maria.

Copyright.
tumblr_lxk490Emrl1qda2s4o1_500.gif

I'm ok with all the Links in this game boys.

I would love a future game where Zelda is the hero or a female Link too though.

I just don't mind if they decide it for story reasons, but with this subject a minefield atm, they could've explained themselves a little better.

-Horizon-

I'm sure a few Links could have been girls and no one would have noticed. LoZ isn't a series that concerns itself with much more than adventure. Just have a girl put on the outfit and it'll be the same game from there on out.
But people say that will ruin the series! D:

Just make sure Ganondorf stays the same. I care not for much else.

Link is merely a static character that is supposed to link to the player so the design should be ambiguous.

Much like how the player character from Sakura Samurai is a guy but honestly could bend either way due to player interpretation.
They should change ganon.

Was there some sort of expectation about a female link that they changed their mind on or what?

No, but the answer was unsatisfactory nonetheless.

Anyway, there's been a lot of fan demand for a female Link for some time now. I remember the Zelda wiiu reveal had a lot of talk on that seemingly female player character with a lot of people voicing a desire for a female Link.

Trogdor1123

Its not that, its the point that he's not a girl. He's a a guy. Games can keep their core focus with out drawing away from it just "cause". Zelda is strong enough on her own, she doesnt need a Female link.

If they made a Zelda game, would they call it Link?

No way, its an actually legend of Zelda then. They could do two games, one where you play as Zelda and your actions impct the link game and one where you play as Link where your actions impact the Zelda game. I would buy both 100%. Each could be 100% unique and half a story. They could tie some online stuff into regarding crowd choices maybe. It makes sense to me and I would be really excited for it.

Anyway, there's been a lot of fan demand for a female Link for some time now. I remember the Zelda wiiu reveal had a lot of talk on that seemingly female player character with a lot of people voicing a desire for a female Link.
It's also had plenty of people not wanting a fem link as well, to be fair.

Xiraiya

I don't really see a reason why there can't be a female Link, I mean I'm sure at some point in some generation a female Link was born in the Zelda universe.

But at the same time I don't really feel like Nintendo said anything that should warrant such an extreme reaction, going by the wording there anyway.
But they could have saved themselves some trouble if they just said "Yeah maybe someday" and left it at that.

Fair enough.

I'm down for chick-Link but I'd shit myself if they announced a Legend of Zelda starring, like, Zelda.
No that'll be in the spinoff Legend Of Link: Cross Quest

Its not that, its the point that he's not a girl. He's a a guy. Games can keep their core focus with out drawing away from it just "cause". Zelda is strong enough on her own, she doesnt need a Female link.

How would Link being a girl draw it away from its coure focus? If Zelda is so strong why do we never play for her and she gets kidnapped in every game? It's almost like Link is the main character, and that's what people wish to see change.

Skyzard

Banned
Legend of Link does sort the problem but then he'd have to be in trouble and not along for too much of the adventure, which isn't really a problem I guess. Might have been nice though.

Zelda is a cooler name though. And of course some people will still just want to play as a dude always and would also prefer LoZ.

I hope she has to wear a similar outfit though for real. I'm not worried about them making it too feminine, I'm sure they wouldn't.

Trogdor1123

I don't really see a reason why there can't be a female Link, I mean I'm sure at some point in some generation a female Link was born in the Zelda universe.

But at the same time I don't really feel like Nintendo said anything that should warrant such an extreme reaction, going by the wording there anyway.
But they could have saved themselves some trouble if they just said "Yeah maybe someday" and left it at that.

Fair enough.

You sure about that?

I think I remember there being some complaint about this, but not enough for anyone to really care.

braves01

Banned
Honestly, Zelda should just have a character creator at this point so players can create a main character with the visual appearance, sexual identity, and level of physical ability to match the experience they identify with. Hyrule Historia has canonized a bizarre timeline so it's not like there's some meticulously crafted universe in place.

Top Bottom