• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

Hell yeah it does! As a lefty, I sure as hell notice when a sword is being swung from the left. And Link is androgynous as fuck anyway. A girl Link would look barely different.
Yeah that "it'd look the same" logic falls apart when we got people asking for a black link or a link that isn't hylian. What's the excuse then? "It's still the same character in spirit!"

Changing link to a female is just a excuse to change him even further which in turn would be taking a highly iconic character and destroying his design.

Yeah that "it'd look the same" logic falls apart when we got people asking for a black link or a link that isn't hylian. What's the excuse then? "It's still the same character in spirit!"

Changing link to a female is just a excuse to change him even further which in turn would be taking a highly iconic character and destroying his design.

odp8kQy.jpg

*Uses she pronouns instead of he* *Design ruined*

you're acting like they'll make link bayonetta

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
How would Link being a girl draw it away from its coure focus? If Zelda is so strong why do we never play for her and she gets kidnapped in every game? It's almost like Link is the main character, and that's what people wish to see change.

Like I said before, Link is a guy. Always has been and always should be. It doesn't mean that we can't have a strong female Zelda, given a good story and good game people will agree.

Link is the main character, 100% I agree but that doesn't mean that we should take away from Zelda by keeping her in the current role. We should work on expanding the universe rather than simply switching stuff in and out cause its easier.

I would also argue that people liking link as the main character also includes his gender. People like what they have always got. It can be used as an opportunity to expand rather to force something upon people.

I truly understand what you want, I just think that there are better ways of doing it. I want a true Zelda game. Not one that requires the coat tales of link.

Skyzard

Banned
About Legend of Link, for new people irl and in-game it wouldn't make much sense for a princess to chase after a random village boy though would it?

I'm sure they could overcome it with some light bullshit though if they wanted. Like ... erm... she has to return to the castle so it's not an escape because then LoZ would make us remember she really doesn't want to be there anyway. So I got nothing atm.

Maybe she gets lost one day with her friend link who ends up captured, her father tells her she's too young to do anything and his search party fails, a few short years pass while you've been training and you find a clue...

What was Link's fate for that time though. :/

213372bu

Banned
Honestly, Zelda should just have a character creator at this point so players can create a main character with the visual appearance, sexual identity, and level of physical ability to match the experience they identify with. .
Ok, I'll take a break with the jokes.

Why should it change to this?

Why shouldn't Link stay as a green tunic-wearing boy?

And this is coming from someone who is perfectly fine and expecting a FeLink.

-Horizon-

Like I said before, Link is a guy. Always has been and always should be. It doesn't mean that we can't have a strong female Zelda, given a good story and good game people will agree.

Link is the main character, 100% I agree but that doesn't mean that we should take away from Zelda by keeping her in the current role. We should work on expanding the universe rather than simply switching stuff in and out cause its easier.

I would also argue that people liking link as the main character also includes his gender. People like what they have always got. It can be used as an opportunity to expand rather to force something upon people.

I truly understand what you want, I just think that there are better ways of doing it. I want a true Zelda game. Not one that requires the coat tales of link.
I don't see why you can't have both? Why not have two strong leading ladies playable in a Zelda game?

My post about look was in response to yours post that a female Link is a radical design change while a right hander Link somehow isn't.

I am in full support of a black Link because I don't give a shit about his look. The motherfucker is barely a character; he's meant to be a player avatar and should look like one.

Heroman

Banned
My post about look was in response to yours post that a female Link is a radical design change while a right hander Link somehow isn't.

I am in full support of a black Link because I don't give a shit about his look. The motherfucker is barely a character; he's meant to be a player avatar and should look like one.
He hasn't been a avater in like 20 years.

Ok, I'll take a break with the jokes.

Why should it change to this?

Why shouldn't Link stay as a green tunic-wearing boy?

And this is coming from someone who is perfectly fine and expecting a FeLink.
Because lots of people are hungry for representation in these games, and Link was always meant to be a character you identify with and project yourself on.

I don't know if that means it "should" change, because the decision will always begin and end with Nintendo. But it certainly means that it's what a lot of people want and if Nintendo ignores that, well, that's their right. But it doesn't change that people desperately want it.

Didn't we just have an e3 with plenty of female characters? I mention it because the attitude makes it seem like the industry is still stuck in the 90s. I understand choices but this "change this eatablished character" mentality is silly. I'd rather they make a game starring Zelda.

mbmonk

Adjust your 1950s-era PR statements and internal development memos as appropriate. Print new editions of your ultra-important half page long Legend of Zelda lore pamphlets.

All your Links are girls.

3Sd8PEO.jpg

All of them, from her landmark NES game onward. Thanks for understanding, Nintendo.

Lol. Evil you own gaf not the Zelda IP so you don't get to officially decide jack shit :)

pastrami

I don't buy the iconic character excuse. Commander Shepard from Mass Effect is a pretty iconic character, and I'm sure that anyone who has played the game can imagine, in their minds, the default male character. But guess what? You can completely customize the character you play as, including the gender.

You said that it would ruin his design. What do you mean by that?
We've already got people asking for link to be turned into things that would absolutely be impossible to be identical to how link already looks like a gerudo link or a black link, that "they wouldn't even need to change how he looks" nonsense flies out the window when you're designing something with a fundamentally different set of shapes or colors. Likewise when you got

"We already got a female link why can't we have a .... link"

It's kinda fucking hard to deny link being anything period, meaning the likelihood of a iconic character whose always been a blue eyed blond hylian boy being changed to anything is now far greater, meaning we've gone from one set design to litterally potentially nothing, but it's fair or whatever because you know, why should people be against their favorite character being changed?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
What if.... your wish is granted, and the next Zelda title features femLink, but there will be no Wii U Zelda title, only a 3DS title: Zelda Super Deformed Master Chief Edition: Hylean Soccer League?

Deal/No Deal?

balgajo

About Legend of Link, for new people irl and in-game it wouldn't make much sense for a princess to chase after a random village boy though would it?

I'm sure they could overcome it with some light bullshit though if they wanted. Like ... erm... she has to return to the castle so it's not an escape because then LoZ would make us remember she really doesn't want to be there anyway. So I got nothing atm.

Maybe she gets lost one day with her friend link who ends up captured, her father tells her she's too young to do anything and his search party fails, a few short years pass while you've been training and you find a clue...

What was Link's fate for that time though. :/

She doesn't need to be princess, like they did in Skyward Sword. Neither she needs to save Link.

braves01

Banned
What if we could rename Mario? He doesn't speak either

Why not? A straight Italian plumber of average height does not resonate with the experience and identity of many people, who probably feel excluded and unwanted due to that. Mario is as blank a slate as Link, so why not replace the old outmoded and exclusionary mascot with a character creator that allows people of all appearances, identities, and abilities feel welcomed as players. Mario Maker would be perfect for this.

I think a lot of criticism with Link gender issue is that it still comes down to Nintendo repeating the same old trope over and over again - boy is hero, girl is damsel-with-varying-degrees-of-usefulness, boy saves world. I know it's the same thing in the Mario games, but the Zelda series has such a personal element that gets you emotionally invested as a player - exploration, characters, drama, tragedy, etc. Even in the more recent games in the series (Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword/Link Between Worlds), Zelda still ends up in a bit of a damsel role, even if she's competent in other areas. She might end up more realised as a character than some of her old school counterparts, but Nintendo still keeps repeating the same old thing. It's boring, it's expected, and it's frustrating.

Hilariously, Hyrule Warriors is the only one that's really done it right in regards to Zelda and the plot... but then they stuck poor Zelda in a breast plate. Wind Waker wasn't too bad, either, but was a bit ick with the Tetra/Zelda costume/personality/skin tone change. Spirit Tracks subverted it the most, with character development for Zelda, and then following along behind Wind Waker's footsteps for an awesome ending.

For Tri Force Heroes, only one of the characters you're playing is Link. One could have been Zelda, or even a generic girl who wants to be a hero. Even playing single-player, you're still controlling three characters, so it isn't like all three couldn't have been used interestingly for the plot. It wouldn't have taken much work, and would have been refreshing.

We've already got people asking for link to be turned into things that would absolutely be impossible to be identical to how link already looks like a gerudo link or a black link, that "they wouldn't even need to change how he looks" nonsense flies out the window when you're designing something with a fundamentally different set of shapes or colors. Likewise when you got

"We already got a female link why can't we have a .... link"

It's kinda fucking hard to deny link being anything period, meaning the likelihood of a iconic character whose always been a blue eyed blond hylian boy being changed to anything is now far greater, meaning we've gone from one set design to litterally potentially nothing, but it's fair or whatever because you know, why should people be against their favorite character being changed?

I mean, I'm all for being able to customize Link's race and hair color and all sorts of shit too, so. I guess if you just completely adore how Link looks now I'm the enemy. It's too bad you'll only have like 800 games to play to remember how he used to look. And if they DID pretty much make it character creation, I'm sure you'd be able to get Vintage Link.

Syf

Banned
I understand choices but this "change this eatablished character" mentality is silly. I'd rather they make a game starring Zelda.
100% agree. Link is an iconic male character and it's silly to suggest that he isn't. Instead of changing that, make a game starring one of the established female characters like Zelda and empower her instead of always being the one who needs to be rescued.

-Horizon-

And this is where I argue with the people saying that Link is just an avatar and not much of a character. I think Link is their own character each time. Most of the games that came out recently seemed to have Link show some kind of distinguishable personality rather than just be there. I don't want a fully customizable Link. Not yet at least. I want the Zelda team to really work on their narrative first and make sure that the characters are fully realized with the story. Like I don't want neutral dialogue for both genders if we go down the customizable route. Kind of like how Fire Emblem does it with the male and female Robins, I want different conversations between characters in the game because of this choice. It'll make it interesting and not make it seem like a shameless genderswap just to genderswap.

I mean, I'm all for being able to customize Link's race and hair color and all sorts of shit too, so. I guess if you just completely adore how Link looks now I'm the enemy. It's too bad you'll only have like 800 games to play to remember how he used to look. And if they DID pretty much make it character creation, I'm sure you'd be able to get Vintage Link.
It's also too bad that a compromise can't be made, I guess that wouldn't draw enough controversy would it though?

balgajo

Because lots of people are hungry for representation in these games, and Link was always meant to be a character you identify with and project yourself on.

I don't know if that means it "should" change, because the decision will always begin and end with Nintendo. But it certainly means that it's what a lot of people want and if Nintendo ignores that, well, that's their right. But it doesn't change that people desperately want it.

Every time I see a Zelda fansite poll about Link becoming a woman or customizable Link usually the reaction is very negative. But that isn't a reliable source anyway. I'm sure a lot of people want but I believe most of Zelda fans don't.

100% agree. Link is an iconic male character and it's silly to suggest that he isn't. Instead of changing that, make a game starring one of the established female characters like Zelda and empower her instead of always being the one who needs to be rescued.

Joining the discussion super late, but this is my view on it as well. Hell, when I used to frequent Gamefaq I know Link won the "Best Character" poll every year. Not that that's proof of anything definitive, but Link-as-Link is important.

I think a game where you go back and forth between Link and Zelda, even, would be super cool. I want some Triforce of Wisdom gameplay.

Skyzard

Banned
She doesn't need to be princess, like they did in Skyward Sword. Neither she needs to save Link.

My bad, for some reason I never played Skyward Sword. Wasn't too keen on TP and moved on a bit at the time I think.

Also, what happens to Link...I guess trapped or something. Why would they want to trap a boy...backup food or lifeforce ... OR he's destined to cause them harm :p

KorrZ

Didn't we just have an e3 with plenty of female characters? I mention it because the attitude makes it seem like the industry is still stuck in the 90s. I understand choices but this "change this eatablished character" mentality is silly. I'd rather they make a game starring Zelda.

Agreed. I'm all for creating more female characters but changing existing iconic characters is not the way to do it. They need to stand on their own.

213372bu

Banned
I'll respond I guess. I have a hard time getting my attitude across apparently on GAF, so I'm going to do my last disclaimer as me wanting to see what a female MC for LoZ would look like, but thinking that the response to these Links being male is out of place.

Because lots of people are hungry for representation in these games
Now sure, females in games as MCs or the option to play a female is great and showing a more homogenized place in gaming. But when you say: these games are you referring to LoZ?

and Link was always meant to be a character you identify with and project yourself on.
This is false though, Link, like many current characters from that time frame, have evolved into being a fully fledged character. As the games progressed, we got to see more "lore" connecting Link to being an actual character, shoddily last-second made timelines to show that he is an actual character that has many timelines, and more. Official manuals and more now better represent this a time has gone forward. With our latest 3D Zelda we got to see how Link as an actual character would look, and how that him having a personality was something that was apparent and one of the only redeeming factors, imo, of SS.

I don't know if that means it "should" change, because the decision will always begin and end with Nintendo.
But, that's not how many users, not even specifically you, on here are stating their opinion. I hate to make it a semantics game on "should" but:
"Link should be anything the player wants"
"Nintendo should make LoZ a character creator."

Problem being, this is actively speaking and implies that the opposite shouldn't be done ie:

"Link shouldn't be what the creator wants"
"Nintendo shouldn't make Link as a defined character."

For instance, I think it would be really cool to play as a FeMC, but more specifically Zelda as she has more potential here. I really would love one, but I'm not going to post that the developer is wrong for not making Link a female, as some have, and I'm not going to blame how the dev worded a very controversial subject in a way where it didn't blow up in his face. A FeMC is inevitable imo, with a female version of Link even being a bonus for the 3DS version of HW. Wanting a character to change is also great. But no developer is in the wrong for wanting Link to be a boy in their game. You last part says it best:

But it certainly means that it's what a lot of people want and if Nintendo ignores that, well, that's their right. But it doesn't change that people desperately want it.
--
Edit: On a separate note people like this add nothing to the conversation and are openly hostile to people making light fun.
Oh man thanks for clearing that up it was totally confusing everyone.

How over from last year doesn't change the fact he not a avatar, is chrono a avatar?
Robin's an avatar with their own customisable name, gender, voice, relationship and look, yet they still have their own elaborate plot and personality that stays fairly consistent throughout Fire Emblem Awakening.

With far less actual plot tied down to his character or a personality, I'm surprised Butts Link has too much baggage to count as an avatar while another far more defined Nintendo character still can.

Squids can be girls you freaking bigots.
If the internet's anything to go off, it's the boy squids who get ignored.

Corpekata

Banned
Joining the discussion super late, but this is my view on it as well. Hell, when I used to frequent Gamefaq I know Link won the "Best Character" poll every year. Not that that's proof of anything definitive, but Link-as-Link is important.

I think a game where you go back and forth between Link and Zelda, even, would be super cool. I want some Triforce of Wisdom gameplay.

I'm fairly certain things like the Weighted Companion Cube from Portal made it out of the first rounds of those types of character contests before. I would not base my definition of a character on that, personally.

Top Bottom