• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur V goes gold - New Vids, Screens

Major backfire showing off "Harada" along with the regular fighters. Cue lots of complaining about horrible character design.

Me, I'm happy to see some geta in there, another step towards improving the look of one of my characters.

I guess Namco wanted to get revenge on all the people that complained about it being awkward to play SC in public with Ivy's huge boobs bouncin around and decided to swap out all teh boobies for a banana hammock. What hell hath thou wrought?

already preordered the CE from amazon. my own personal rule of thumb is that i always play as the guest characters and no one else (link from sc2, starkiller/yoda/darth vader in sc4, and now ezio in sc5). i cant wait for this one!

zlatko

Banned
This is coming out a lot sooner than I thought.

That's because it is being rushed. The developers of the game tweeted exactly that.

After SC4's god awfulness, there is no way in fuck I'm touching this game unless I see glowing praise all over for it. Especially in the online department.

PJX

Scamco has added Dampierre, an on-disc preorder DLC character. He debuted in the PSP Soul Calibur game.

Dampierre is a con artist so it's shockingly poignant.

According to the Gemastu link, he only seem to be available if you preorder it from Best Buy. Pretty lame if you ask me.

EDIT: Going to Best Buy's website confirms it also.

SCV!! Get hype!!

Anyways, is the Dampierre only at Best Buy true? I have my copy pre-ordered at Amazon. I was under the impression that ALL pre-orders will get it.

The Best Buy site does specifically call out Dampierre as a bonus, and the Amazon listing doesn't. Seems fishy.

Damn you scamco.

There's no Xeba gameplay yet is there?
54 minutes into this video http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19315788

1:05:00 into this video http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/303016385

I came for tits and have to leave disappointed :-/

Japanese print ad has you covered...oh Japan

cx4zm

Skilletor

I'd be worried if pretty much every new build hadn't been playable by really good players, at every major tourney recently, on various french streams, and featured by Namco Game nights.

Game looks amazing. I think it'll be the best SC yet.

Namco is also backing the game in the competitive community with huge pot bonuses at upcoming majors.

They seem pretty confident to me, and nothing I've seen in vids says they shouldn't be.

Now where is Setsuka? :(

TDLink

There's more character reveals isn't there? Seeing that the game is going to be out less than a month.

Yeah, not all of the characters have been revealed yet. There are still somewhere between 4 and 6 characters left to be shown (plus any other Character Creator only styles in addition to Devil Jin). It is possible not all of the characters will be revealed before the game is out, though I think the next reveals are happening around January 19th.

Kurtofan

Any word on a 1 player mode similar to the one's in Soulcalibur and Soulcalibur II?I loved those missions and all.

There's more character reveals isn't there? Seeing that the game is going to be out less than a month.
Back in October they said they may not reveal everyone by release date. But there's also another Famitsu feature on the 19th of this month, so we might get at least a few more then.

Yeah, not all of the characters have been revealed yet. There are still somewhere between 4 and 6 characters left to be shown (plus any other Character Creator only styles in addition to Devil Jin). It is possible not all of the characters will be revealed before the game is out, though I think the next reveals are happening around January 19th.

Who's left to reveal?
Sueng Mina?
Zasalamel?
Bangoo?
Hwang Seungkyung?

Cystm

Japanese print ad has you covered...oh Japan

cx4zm

That snake is not at all phallic. The juxtaposition. . . Oh Japan, indeed.

We need this crap to buy the game though, amiright? I can't wait to use CAS to create a shaved headed white dude. They better have facial scars!

TDLink

Who's left to reveal?
Sueng Mina?
Zasalamel?
Bangoo?
Hwang Seungkyung?

The following (Old) styles/characters haven't been shown yet:

Confirmed/Likely
Setsuka Replacement (Confirmed via Twitter but not shown)
Zasalamel or Replacement
Rock or Bangoo
Yun Seong or Replacement
Talim or Replacement

Longshot due to replacements, buy maybe?
Seong Mina even though Xiba is in
Kilik even though Xiba is in
Xianghua even though Leixia is in
Sophitia even though Pyrrha is in
Cassandra even though Pyrrha is in
Olcadan even though Edgemaster is in
Charade even though Edgemaster is in
Li Long even though Maxi is in
Taki even though Natsu is in
Amy (Who might be Viola or something???)

Nope
Hwang (Confirmed not in the game)

Another all new style is also possible.

TreIII

The gameplay is what really matters to me, and what I've seen thus far looks REALLY good. So with that, I preordered the CE on Amazon. Here's hoping this will serve as the jump off for this series getting a nice revival.

6 better be even crazier, I want it to be the first 3D series to act like a 2D fighter.

This too.

Though I would argue that Craft & Meister's Super DBZ did that basically already.

Confirmed/Likely
Zasalamel or Replacement
Rock or Bangoo
Yun Seong or Replacement
Talim or Replacement

Longshot due to replacements, buy maybe?
Seong Mina even though Xiba is in
Kilik even though Xiba is in
Xianghua even though Leixia is in
Sophitia even though Pyrrha is in
Cassandra even though Pyrrha is in
Olcadan even though Edgemaster is in
Charade even though Edgemaster is in
Li Long even though Maxi is in
Taki even though Natsu is in
Amy (Who might be Viola or something???)

Nope
Hwang (Confirmed not in the game)

Another all new style is also possible.

Cool, thanks. How many character slots are left?

TDLink

Cool, thanks. How many character slots are left?

4 for sure, and possibly 1 big one or 2 others that may be covered by an emblem between Yoshimitsu and Dampierre on the character select. So 4 - 6.

See: (And note that Edgemaster and Algol aren't on this image so they take two)

SCVCS_Characters_selection.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
So how serious is Soul Calibur in the competive scene now-a-days? It seems each iteration it moves farther and farther from a competent fighter to a full on fan service game. Didn't the previous game have some pretty serious balance issues?

So how serious is Soul Calibur in the competive scene now-a-days? It seems each iteration it moves farther and farther from a competent fighter to a full on fan service game. Didn't the previous game have some pretty serious balance issues?

It's popular in France and other parts of Europe as a competitive game. Not so much elsewhere.

RetroMG

Did they ever release the collector's edition stuff for 4 as DLC? This will decide whether or not I get collectors for 5.

(I hated not having that stuff. It's silly, but I always wanted the blazer so I could make Phoenix Wright.)

Go check out the community man.
http://8wayrun.com/

Plenty people still play it, small, but still. Like people still play VF, GG, etc...

Confirmed/Likely
Zasalamel or Replacement
Rock or Bangoo
Yun Seong or Replacement
Talim or Replacement
With only 4 slots left, only a Setsuka replacement is truly likely. everything else is a toss up. The rest are the bottom tier of the past few games, so they don't absolutely have to come back.

Rock style won't be back and I've never seen Namco give a new weapon to someone's child, so I have doubts on Bangoo being in. I'd really like to see it happen though.

A Yun/Hwang replacement I think is likely because I saw an interview saying that region sometimes factors into character design, and Korea was specifically mentioned. There aren't any Koreans in the game yet.

Talim and Zasalamel are both on the fence. Zas has a unique style but hasn't really caught on. Talim had some interest in SC2 and has died down significantly ever since. I really thought she'd be a lock when they mentioned the time shift, but now I'm not sure.

At least one of these probably won't make it.

TDLink

With only 4 slots left, only a Setsuka replacement is truly likely. everything else is a toss up. The rest are the bottom tier of the past few games, so they don't absolutely have to come back.

Rock style won't be back and I've never seen Namco give a new weapon to someone's child, so I have doubts on Bangoo being in. I'd really like to see it happen though.

A Yun/Hwang replacement I think is likely because I saw an interview saying that region sometimes factors into character design, and Korea was specifically mentioned. There aren't any Koreans in the game yet.

Talim and Zasalamel are both on the fence. Zas has a unique style but hasn't really caught on. Talim had some interest in SC2 and has died down significantly ever since. I really thought she'd be a lock when they mentioned the time shift, but now I'm not sure.

At least one of these probably won't make it.

A replacement with Setsuka's style was confirmed on Twitter a while back, they just didn't show him or her yet. So that is more than likely.

Also, I don't see how placement on the last game's tier list affects whether a character/style should be in this new release in the series.

Top Bottom