• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur V goes gold - New Vids, Screens

TreIII

I'm really excited about the new Brave Edge/Critical Edge system that looks to be pretty similar to the EX/Ultra system from Street Fighter IV. Meter stuff should add a lot of newness to the Soul Calibur formula.

The overall vibe actually does more to remind me of 3S, actually. Daishi has made of his love of that game apparent more than once.

And now we got Gill err...Algol mk. II which practically makes it full circle. 8D

The overall vibe actually does more to remind me of 3S, actually. Daishi has made of his love of that game apparent more than once.

And now we got Gill err...Algol mk. II which practically makes it full circle. 8D

I wonder if Algol will have a two-tone customization option, LOL.

RedSwirl

54 minutes into this video http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19315788

1:05:00 into this video http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/303016385

Japanese print ad has you covered...oh Japan

cx4zm

Thanks. Is that seriously an advertisement for the game?

Edit: Anybody getting the SCIV stick with this? I still don't own a TE and would like to know how this one compares.

Thanks. Is that seriously an advertisement for the game?

Edit: Anybody getting the SCIV stick with this? I still don't own a TE and would like to know how this one compares.

Same parts as tradtional TE sticks but the buttons are arranged to mimic the Noir HD cabinets instead of the generic Madcatz layout that is somewhat inspirited by Vewlix cabinets.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
No. Both consoles will have Ezio as guest though.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after seeing Ezio in action, he fits really well into the cast.

He at least makes some modicum of sense compared to Starkiller, Vader and Yoda.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after seeing Ezio in action, he fits really well into the cast.
They said their main criteria this time, other then popularity, was that the character didn't break the aesthetics of their world like the previous game did.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They said their main criteria this time, other then popularity, was that the character didn't break the aesthetics of their world like the previous game did.

A wise decision.

Pimpbaa

Hate to break it to you, but a transsexual male->female would attract quite a large number of males.

I'm aware there are gay gamers. But the audience for the series has been traditionally targeting straight male gamers with it's abundance of busty women. Putting more clothes on the women, having a half naked guy, and a transexual seems like they are trying to alienate that audience.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm aware there are gay gamers. But the audience for the series has been traditionally targeting straight male gamers with it's abundance of busty women. Putting more clothes on the women, having a half naked guy, and a transexual seems like they are trying to alienate that audience.

I'm talking about straight too. Lots of straight males (least they consider themselves straight) are really into the transsexual thing now.

I think you need to reevaluate your expectations a bit here. It's not like the female cast is cloaked in modesty robes, there is plenty of fan service for everyone.

Just because there is more male skin being shown, it doesn't mean they are trying to drive away straight male gamers. 95%+ of all gamers are primarily targeted to that demo, so I think you need to open your mind a bit to other groups and realize there is room for everyone. (And fighting games have always had a large gay following.)

Also, transsexual does not necessarily mean gay, there are a lot differences between the two groups. And even though they communities do overlap and support each other a lot, they are not analogues. Transsexual characters can appeal to gamers of any orientation, for a variety of reasons.

Pimpbaa

I'm talking about straight too. Lots of straight males (least they consider themselves straight) are really into the transsexual thing now.

They may consider themselves straight, but they gotta to be at least bisexual. No straight guy wants a dick on a girl.

Pimpbaa

Just because there is more male skin being shown, it doesn't mean they are trying to drive away straight male gamers. 95%+ of all gamers are primarily targeted to that demo, so I think you need to open your mind a bit to other groups and realize there is room for everyone. (And fighting games have always had a large gay following.)

There are plenty of other games that cater to that. I just hate seeing roster space being wasted for just a fraction of the people who play the game. I want some more scantily clad women to make up for namco replacing some of the women with teenagers with small breasts and more modest outfits.

There are plenty of other games that cater to that. I just hate seeing roster space being wasted for just a fraction of the people who play the game.

It's not a waste though. There are plenty of people who appreciate these types of characters. And as I said before, straight gamers are not getting shunned in any way here.

Also, "plenty of other games"? Not really. It's hard enough to find a game that at least has equal (or at least comparable) amounts of characters that appeal to different groups of gamers, let alone find some that appeal specifically to gay gamers. (Especially in North America.)

There is an infinitely larger selection that specifically cater to straight gamers. That's not even debatable.

Pimpbaa

It's not a waste though. There are plenty of people who appreciate these types of characters. And as I said before, straight gamers are not getting shunned in any way here.

Also, "plenty of other games"? Not really. It's hard enough to find a game that at least has equal (or at least comparable) amounts of characters that appeal to different groups of gamers, let alone find some that appeal specifically to gay gamers. (Especially in North America.)

There is an infinitely larger selection that specifically cater to straight gamers. That's not even debatable.

It's a waste when they changed the original busty women with goddamn teenagers. And instead of adding new busty women or just adding the oiriginal characters, they are gonna add a transexual? Adult straight male fans of the series are definitely getting shunned.

Skilletor

It's a waste when they changed the original busty women with goddamn teenagers. And instead of adding new busty women or just adding the oiriginal characters, they are gonna add a transexual? Adult straight male fans of the series are definitely getting shunned.

I don't feel shunned.

I couldn't care less what a digital avatar wears. Past the initial I like/don't like her, I couldn't care less. It's all about how they play. No time to admire cleavage or banana hammocks when I've got swords all up in my face.

That's your right to think that, and if you don't find what you are interested in this game, then maybe you should give SCV a pass.

But I find it hard to believe that straight gamers are being left out when all you have to do is look at Ivy, Tira or Viola's artwork. Or the giant poster of Ivy's breasts posted above. (Plus, the entire roster hasn't even been revealed yet.)

Also, a transsexual and a cross dresser are not the same thing. Though, that's neither here nor there.

Pimpbaa

That's your right to think that, and if you don't find what you are interested in this game, then maybe you should give SCV a pass.

But I find it hard to believe that straight gamers are being left out when all you have to do is look at Ivy, Tira or Viola's artwork. Or the giant poster of Ivy's breasts posted above. (Plus, the entire roster hasn't even been revealed yet.)

Also, a transsexual and a cross dresser are not the same thing.

Ivy is the only woman out of the females in the game. The rest look like teenagers (small breasts). Easy to say pass on SCV, but I've been a fan since the beginning and it angers me to see them focus on japanese sexually confused otaku. Although like you said the entire roster hasn't been revealed.

Ivy is the only woman out of the females in the game. The rest look like teenagers (small breasts). Easy to say pass on SCV, but I've been a fan since the beginning and it angers me to see them focus on japanese sexually confused otaku. Although like you said the entire roster hasn't been revealed.

Well, that just boils down to your personal preference. I've been playing the Soul series since it's inception too, and I wasn't put off when the series was much more heavy handed with the female sexuality on display.

You'll probably find that there will be enough to interest you if you give it a try. Especially considering that you can make your own characters. You'll just have to decide if your devotion to the series is enough to justify you giving the game a shot despite it not appealing fully to what you expect a SC to be.

Personally, even though there are a lot of characters I'm missing too, I think it's shaping up to be really great.

They posted the pictures on their Facebook page. I find that the litmus test on when people started playing is watching how many people don't know who Edgemaster is.

Technically Ivy is the only Adult female...well her and Hilde but she wears armor. Sp technically Namco is being realistic this time...

but it's funny that now there isn't enough boobs( and lets be honest there is never enough boobs) when in IV there was too much (a blasphemous statement).

Still, I guess wait for the last 4 to be revealed.

Talim better make it Namco...otherwise, I'll may not pre-order right now and wait for next week.

Don't tempt me bro.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They should have just given Ivy the Bayonetta outfit.

I know I'll try to make it in the CAF:p

Top Bottom