• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) teaser trailer [Up: Inafune, Marvelous AQL, Mitsuda, Hokoyama]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReaperXL7

jyISs.jpg

Interesting, I think people are juding alittle bit too soon, I mean all we really have is a scan of some art for the game not actual screenshots or anything, and the teaser really does not look that bad.

I think it depends on what the point of the gore is personally, I mean if they make it to be a situation where these characters are for example selfless people trying to save the world, and inorder to do that they have to sacrifice their body to do so, it sounds like an interesting concept. I don't know how you could do a concept like this without some gore being involved really.

The god of war games don't bother me though, so if this is getting a similar rating I suspect it probably won't be as bad as the art work makes it seem. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the game in action tomarrow. If they are showing it in japan tomarrow though, I'm pretty sure it will be at E3 aswell.

Aeana

Interesting, I think people are juding alittle bit too soon, I mean all we really have is a scan of some art for the game not actual screenshots or anything, and the teaser really does not look that bad.

I think it depends on what the point of the gore is personally, I mean if they make it to be a situation where these characters are for example selfless people trying to save the world, and inorder to do that they have to sacrifice their body to do so, it sounds like an interesting concept. I don't know how you could do a concept like this without some gore being involved really.

The god of war games don't bother me though, so if this is getting a similar rating I suspect it probably won't be as bad as the art work makes it seem. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the game in action tomarrow. If they are showing it in japan tomarrow though, I'm pretty sure it will be at E3 aswell.
There's nothing above Z, so you can't say that. It could be way worse than God of War and it'd still get a Z.

Luigiv

Well yeah I agree, some people are jumping to conclusions a bit. It really depends on how graphic these self mutilations are depicted in game. If it's cartoony and inconsequential looking, it could manage a D rating. If it's as grotesque and in your face as the concept art implies it might, then no chance in hell it avoids that Z.

Aeana

When it comes to violence and CERO, there is a significant difference between violence against humans and violence against non-humans. Non-human violence can be pretty extreme and it won't earn a CERO Z.

Ridley327

When it comes to violence and CERO, there is a significant difference between violence against humans and violence against non-humans. Non-human violence can be pretty extreme and it won't earn a CERO Z.

Wasn't this the reason why inFamous ended up with a CERO Z? The violence itself is tame, but you could kill civilians, which is a big no-no in Japan.

androvsky

Weren't the God of War games still censored, even the Z rating? I heard nudity just plain isn't allowed, but I don't know about the violence.

And yeah, violence against innocents is a huge no-no, it's why the Yakuza games don't let you start fights with anyone, you have to wait for someone to pick a fight with you. Unless they're zombies.

I'm guessing Japan's censors really didn't care for Fallout 3 or New Vegas then, even though the violence is only semi-graphic you can do well....a lot to the people in that game.

Finally saw it, it's gross but I really didn't think it that bad. People calling it guro make me think of something as bad as some manga I've seen, and it's certainly not.

Certainly not what I'd expect from an Inafune planned project, but maybe that's the idea.

Jason2slow

Neo Member
I like the idea of sacrificing things (objects around you, body parts) in order to cast magic...it's kinda like an extreme take on alchemy in Full Metal Alchemist.

Jonnyram

Weren't the God of War games still censored, even the Z rating? I heard nudity just plain isn't allowed, but I don't know about the violence.

And yeah, violence against innocents is a huge no-no, it's why the Yakuza games don't let you start fights with anyone, you have to wait for someone to pick a fight with you. Unless they're zombies.
Sex is not allowed.
Nudity is not allowed.
Decapitation is not allowed.
Dismemberment of humans is not allowed.
Drugs are not allowed.

Because of the dismemberment rule, you'll see games using cyborg/alien enemies, rather than human. I believe this is the case with Metal Gear Rising, for instance.

I personally don't think this will be as bad in game as the artwork in the scan depicts.

Apparently less significant attacks only require sacrifice such as stones and trees, this is probably the main attack that everyone will use in the game with just occasional super magic that require body sacrifice. I think this aspect is actually more important here than the body sacrifice thing. Are we going to acquire these trees and stones on the field? That will be intersting as you have to look for surrounding and use them to your advantage if true.

ReaperXL7

I also think it's safe to say that these will be pre defined characters instead of player created. The fact that these characters will be inflicting these types attacks on themselves would probably make it difficult to have character customization outside of maybe new armor, or clothing.

I'm really interested in how this is going to play, and i'm hoping that these characters will have a reason for what they are doing, maybe they are some kind of monks, and this ability they have is a sort of curse that makes them the only ones able to deal with the threat they are facing.

Of course until we have information, it's impossible to tell. I've always been a fan of Inafune though so i'm pretty hyped at the moment.

Craiji

Apparently less significant attacks only require sacrifice such as stones and trees, this is probably the main attack that everyone will use in the game with just occasional super magic that require body sacrifice. I think this aspect is actually more important here than the body sacrifice thing. Are we going to acquire these trees and stones on the field? That will be intersting as you have to look for surrounding and use them to your advantage if true.
Sticks and stones? Funny.

I also think it's safe to say that these will be pre defined characters instead of player created. The fact that these characters will be inflicting these types attacks on themselves would probably make it difficult to have character customization outside of maybe new armor, or clothing.

I'm really interested in how this is going to play, and i'm hoping that these characters will have a reason for what they are doing, maybe they are some kind of monks, and this ability they have is a sort of curse that makes them the only ones able to deal with the threat they are facing.

Of course until we have information, it's impossible to tell. I've always been a fan of Inafune though so i'm pretty hyped at the moment.
Why would it be difficult to have customized player because of these self inflicted animation?

We haven't heard if it'll have story campaign right? I hope it'll have some story, not neccesarily like god eater, but maybe something like demons souls story, the story is in the background, but you do have a goal and have an ending unlike monster hunter

prwxv3

apparently you are a slave of a cruel magician. So I guess the goal to get set free.

apparently you are a slave of a cruel magician. So I guess the goal to get set free.
I like it, the stake seems high enough to warrant any self mutilation I maigh do to my character, freedom, or revenge I guess if the goal is to kill the cruel magician

ReaperXL7

Why would it be difficult to have customized player because of these self inflicted animation?

Well honestly i'm just assuming here as i'm not a developer, but I'm thinking that having pre-defined characters would make it vastly easier to make sure that things like animations, character damage/deformation, and a changing appearence much easier. Take Mortal Kombat for instance, with the characters clothes getting torn up, cuts, bruises, damage, etc, I would think that would be much harder to do with a character creator because they made by the player so there is less certainty over how the player has created their own character.

I could be wrong though if someone with more knowledge would like to correct me, I love character creators so i'd be all for it, I would just imagine it would be more difficult if your character is ripping their own spine out, and it changes based on that.

Well honestly i'm just assuming here as i'm not a developer, but I'm thinking that having pre-defined characters would make it vastly easier to make sure that things like animations, character damage/deformation, and a changing appearence much easier. Take Mortal Kombat for instance, with the characters clothes getting torn up, cuts, bruises, damage, etc, I would think that would be much harder to do with a character creator because they made by the player so there is less certainty over how the player has created their own character.

I could be wrong though if someone with more knowledge would like to correct me, I love character creators so i'd be all for it, I would just imagine it would be more difficult if your character is ripping their own spine out, and it changes based on that.
It's not like the game have to be that detail especially in a handheld small screen, even in console game we sometime overlook some clipping. Excalibur animation seems easy enough, put hands on mouth and sword magically appear, same with cutting your finger or take out an eye, it's not like the camera have to zoomed i and accurately show the eyeball or the finger you chopped. They coukd just do the body animation and suddenly perform the magic.

yencid

this is apparently bound for winter, well shit im hyped. Also in the trailer, isnt the player using Excalibur? It doesnt look that bad or grotesque from it.

Bebpo

Banned
What would the point of making Vita's system seller be Z rated? The whole point of a system seller is to have mass appeal and that means appeal to all the 10 year old kids playing portable games at school with their buddies.

If this is really Z, then combined with some of the questionable marketing there's been for the Vita (*cough*cough*monkeyball*), it feels like they think the only people who would spend $250-300 on a portable are the creepy otaku market and if they are the main market Vita is going for then they're very very screwed (see anime market).

spats

correct me if im wrong, but japanese "p0rn" the genitalia of the actors/actresses are blurred out.....yes genitalia is blurred out in japanese pron

wtf

2825201_700b.jpg

On topic though, some of the mechanics sound brutal and very interesting. I can only hope that the gameplay lives up to the premise.

DiscoJer

What would the point of making Vita's system seller be Z rated? The whole point of a system seller is to have mass appeal and that means appeal to all the 10 year old kids playing portable games at school with their buddies.

If this is really Z, then combined with some of the questionable marketing there's been for the Vita (*cough*cough*monkeyball*), it feels like they think the only people who would spend $250-300 on a portable are the creepy otaku market and if they are the main market Vita is going for then they're very very screwed (see anime market).

Is this really going to be (or even meant to) be a system seller? I mean, what is even the best selling game by Marvelous?

I think people have been jumping to conclusions, that it's meant to be a monster hunter replament, or a Demon's Soul game, when it was probably a mid tier game Sony decided to publish, like say, Folks Soul

Bebpo

Banned
It's not, but obviously Sony is intending to use it to help Vita sales in Japan.

You don't take out 6 pages in famitsu, hype up reveal and have an entire conference dedicated to a game that you expect to sell 15k copies and bump hardware 2k. This is a big deal for Sony and they're going to push the heck out of it to help the Vita, but it seems...misplaced for a Z rated game.

It actually seems like when they greenlit the game they were doing one of those "let's make a game that appeals to Americans so we can get those USA sales!!!" things that tends to end in an embarrassing disaster for Japanese gaming companies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's not, but obviously Sony is intending to use it to help Vita sales in Japan.

You don't take out 6 pages in famitsu, hype up reveal and have an entire conference dedicated to a game that you expect to sell 15k copies and bump hardware 2k. This is a big deal for Sony and they're going to push the heck out of it to help the Vita, but it seems...misplaced for a Z rated game.

It actually seems like when they greenlit the game they were doing one of those "let's make a game that appeals to Americans so we can get those USA sales!!!" things that tends to end in an embarrassing disaster for Japanese gaming companies.

Bebpo, stop being a wet blanket! The game has the potential to be totally awesome!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We forgot to mention one major character in our previous writeups about Soul Sacrifice: a "book." This "book" is a central figure in the game's story.

As detailed earlier, the main character is someone who was raised by a cruel sorcerer. Just as the main character is about to be given as a sacrificial offering, a special book appears before him. This book is a demon in book form. It contains the records of past fights between the sorcerer and monsters.

The player enters the world of the book and experiences the stories and fights depicted therein.

In addition to this background story, Sokuho's Famitsu summary mentions one magic attack that we didn't mention earlier: Salamander. This attack involves burning something (presumably a part of your body).

The game will have a customization component. You'll be able to select from a variety of styles for your character.

Your play style will also affect your form. As part of the game's story setting, the monsters you fight are former humans who used their magic too much and lost their human form. Make the same mistake, and you'll also begin to lose your human form.

Soul Sacrifice has support for one to four players. While we don't know what the multiplayer component will be like, it appears that you'll be able to sacrifice your fellow players' lives.

Keiji Inafune is listed in Famitsu in the game's "planning" and "development" role. Actual development is taking place at Marvelous AQL. The game's music component is from Yasunori Mitsuda and Wataru Hokoyama, with Hokoyama scheduled to head up overseas recording. On Sony Computer Enteratinment's side, the game's producer is Kentaro Motomura , and its assistant producer is Teruyuki Toriyama.

http://andriasang.com/con0xm/soul_sacrifice_update/

This game is sounding less and less likely to attract a large, mainstream, Monster Hunter audience. Maybe the people who liked the Saw movies?

http://andriasang.com/con0xf/soul_sacrifice_magic/

The big catch for Keiji Inafune's PlayStation Vita action title Soul Sacrifice is not the "soul," as many had initially expected, but the "sacrifice." As detailed earlier in the day, Soul Sacrifice has you sacrifice body parts to perform powerful magic.

Weekly Famitsu lists the following sacrificial magics. While we listed these as summons earlier, they appear to be just magic attacks.

Excalibur: You stick your hand down your throat, pull out your spinal cord, and use this as your sword.
Gleipnir: Chop off your five fingers and perform a punch with your extended bones.
Gorgon: Pull out your eyeballs, and use them to blast out magic beams
Gungnir: Your bones and nerves emerge from your body and attack

Why would you torture yourself to kill your foes? This is actually part of the background story. You play as a slave who serves a cruel sorcerer.

It appears that you may be fighting people like yourself. Screenshots show massive creatures who apparently used their powerful magic too much and lost their human form.

There are still a few unclear areas about Soul Sacrifice -- for instance, if you chop your fingers off, do they come back? -- but we'll hopefully get additional details later in the day or at tomorrow's unveiling press conference.

I mean, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom