• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) teaser trailer [Up: Inafune, Marvelous AQL, Mitsuda, Hokoyama]

Status
Not open for further replies.
pron.png

Globox_82

Banned
Yes they do. But SCEJ making a "Demon's Souls" sequel wouldn't be the same game unless From Soft was behind it. It'd be the same thing as saying DmC is gonna be the same as a Devil May Cry game (it isn't).

So I stand by my original statement: Sony is making their version of a dark fantasy title and from the little we know of it it's looking more like Monster Hunter in the Souls artstyle than Demon's Souls. Might be the "sequel" to the Demon's Souls IP, but Dark Souls is the true sequel to the series.

Actually SCEJ was heavily involved in developing DS. I think I read somewhere they wanted that art style. It's just that fan girls believe FROm is so special they did it all on their own.

I guess we can assume that this will be mission based, and from the backstory, I assume it'll have story, reliving the story of past fight sounds great. you'll get the story bit by bit of what happened in the past, I assume it'll lead to be the cruel magician's past and you confront him in the end maybe even taking his place in the end.

it'll be great if your character can be recorded if you lost and they'll become enemy in other people's game.

Perkel

Banned
Gonna use that "revenge of shit mountain spell".

I think those secrefices won't be forever. There probably will be some shop with body parts.

yencid

Actually as you are "reliving the book" its very probable that your sacrifices wont carry from one part of the story to the next.

I think those secrefices won't be forever. There probably will be some shop with body parts.

I'm thinking like once you activate the magic, there's a goal you have to fulfill like maybe kill a certain amount of enemies etc, if you fulfill it, it'll restore your body part, if not, you lose it forever. I don't know what's the stake of losing limbs though, it's not like we as the player can't see the game when you sacrifice your eye.

That would be retarded, and would also nullify the impact of the sacrifices in the character development, i mean, going by the info, the point is to find a "balance" between power and mutations, using powerful magic corrupts your body, if you use too much the outcome should be you becoming one of the same creatures you are fighting.

I dunno, the idea is cool, but would be great if some of the sacrifices had a real impact in your character body and development, if you sacrifice your fingers, you gain an ability, and that ability remains usable to you, but your fingers are gone forever, the same for every part you are willing to give in exchange for magic.

The idea of buying spines and eyes in the same way you can buy ammo in action games is beyond dumb.

Danielsan

Holy shit. Did not expect to see a dude ripping out his spine through his throat. This game could either turn out really awesome or just unnecessarily disgusting. I like the idea of sacrificing parts of yourself to do powerful attacks though.

Gloam

Is Ed Boon consulting on this? Will have to see it in motion though, it might look goofy as opposed to vomit inducing!

Exactly! I expect a lot of dark humor in this game

I don't want any dark humor in this. the backstory and art looks bleak and depressing as hell. I kinda like that. your character is about to be sacrificed by your master and you desperately try to survive going as far as sacrificing your body parts to do it. it's really dark, and twisted. I hope they treat is seriously and not go for MK humor

B.O.O.M

I don't want any dark humor in this. the backstory and art looks bleak and depressing as hell. I kinda like that. your character is about to be sacrificed by your master and you desperately try to survive going as far as sacrificing your body parts to do it. it's really dark, and twisted. I hope they treat is seriously and not go for MK humor

But if it's too serious the game will limit it's possible target audience tho. It's already limiting it due to it's grim nature

ijed

disgusting

say what? So you don't mind god of war or bayonetta where you're ripping limbs of other people but to do it to yourself is abhorrent?

Talk about double-standards....

I'd also love if you lost your soul and become a monster then other players have to fight a super-monstified you Old Monk stylees :D

I am a bit worried after hearing all this and being in Australia though - kinda fear it'll get the MK treatment :(

Exactly! I expect a lot of dark humor in this game

No, please, no, grim and serious tone, the more the better

Callibretto said:

Yep, exactly this.

But if it's too serious the game will limit it's possible target audience tho. It's already limiting it due to it's grim nature

with a premise like that, Sony knows what it getting itself into.

also, even though they have an artwork that's kinda gory, we don't know if the actual animation in the game will bet that graphic, unless the camera zoomed in while you're doing the sacrifice, I think the game won't look that offputting.

and these self sacrifice magic is only for the uber powerful magic, there's still the standard magic that I imagine will be more often used in the game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And so what ?

Are you a gamer or sales manager ?

Completely agree with you.

I would rather have a game with an interesting premise like this than some MonHun clone or variant of some popular game I already couldn't care less about just for the sake of being popular, sales figures be damned. I find the whole obsession with sales figures by people who don't even live in Japan to be particularly weird as it just takes on another (quite large) layer of irrelevancy.

I'll wait for footage and the like before making a judgment either way but from what I've heard today about this game I am quite excited to find out more about it. More so than what if what being rumored about the game before today actually ended up being true.

Yjynx

Soul Sacrifice has support for one to four players. While we don't know what the multiplayer component will be like, it appears that you'll be able to sacrifice your fellow players' lives.

I like the sound of this.

orioto

Good Art™
What would the point of making Vita's system seller be Z rated? The whole point of a system seller is to have mass appeal and that means appeal to all the 10 year old kids playing portable games at school with their buddies.

If this is really Z, then combined with some of the questionable marketing there's been for the Vita (*cough*cough*monkeyball*), it feels like they think the only people who would spend $250-300 on a portable are the creepy otaku market and if they are the main market Vita is going for then they're very very screwed (see anime market).

I remember reading something about Sony's aim demographic for the Vita being pretty old...

ijed

So is the concept Inafune's, Marvelous AQL or Sony Japan? Interested to know after Inafune's statements about Japanese Games recently and his hints about Comcept making a Vita game at GDC.

I really like the sound of this now. It's taken a turn for the sick and twisted and has ended up coming across more intriguing as a result. I hope the atmosphere is positively thick with all kinds of unsettling perversion.

Plus any game that scares off all the weeaboos is shirley doing God's work.

God of War is gorey, but it isn't disgusting. The scan I saw looks plain disgusting. I really don't think they should have focused on the sacrifice mechanic and wierd art if they wanted mass appeal.

The scan you saw is concept art, we'll see if it will be that graphic in the game, the gorgon artwork is not that gory imo.

As for the concept, I think the concept sounds very interesting

Luigiv

the guy who thought of using your own spine you get through your mouth as a sword is a genius!

Well spine sword is pretty much a cliche at this point but the idea of reaching into your own mouth to grab one is at least somewhat unique.

I was thinking about how to make sacrafices not permament and they could use a Promethean myth with hero being cursed/under spell which restores his body at night but still feeling pain.

Luigiv

I was thinking about how to make sacrafices not permament and they could use a Promethean myth with hero being cursed/under spell which restores his body at night but still feeling pain.

Going by this:
Andriasang said:
As detailed earlier, the main character is someone who was raised by a cruel sorcerer. Just as the main character is about to be given as a sacrificial offering, a special book appears before him. This book is a demon in book form. It contains the records of past fights between the sorcerer and monsters.

The player enters the world of the book and experiences the stories and fights depicted therein.

It sounds like the main character won't actually be fighting and instead will be living out the recorded memories of historically significant mages through the animus. In such a case, maybe you play as a different mage each mission/chapter and mutilations will only be permanent for the duration of said mission/chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom