• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) teaser trailer [Up: Inafune, Marvelous AQL, Mitsuda, Hokoyama]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeededSleep

Regarding the developer, I'll say there is zero change of the game being by the Dark Souls team at From Software. If the game is indeed developed by From Software, then based on the teaser it would probably be the Otogi/MWC/NB team.

!
I love Otogi so much, just didnt care for the diminishing life bar. I don't really enjoy timed games in general but Otogi was the one exception for me.

Can't wait to see more information about this game!

cyborg009

Banned
It may not be an actual cat, but it's definitely some kind of mutated cat monster.

I been noticing that all monster seem like they could've have been human that mutated. notice that they all have humanoid sense to them.

from other thread:
cfu6L.png
Nj119.png

Based on the rumors, I'm guessing Inafune as director/concepter with members of Team Siren doing the heavy lifting. Maybe expats from Team Ico. It's hard to see from the outside how Japan Studio is organized.
Has Japan Studio ever done that though, provided development for an outside planner/director? Usually they're the reverse?

Given Japan Studio's track record I'd guess it would be outsourced to someone like Marvelous AQL, Matrix Software, Racjin, Shade, etc. I think Craft & Meister might be a good match given the Capcom/Monhan connection, though they don't really have a history with SCEI.

God Eater was regarded as a MH clone but IMO still made a good name for itself, sold pretty well for a new I.P

There is a market for 'MH clone' games

Patapwn

There are monsters. You hunt (kill) them. How can it possibly be anything but a direct copy?

There are enough details to claim the game has monsters. There are not enough details to assume the purpose is to hunt them.

Besides, given the teaser, it obviously has many many differences from monster hunter even if it was in the same vain.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Has Japan Studio ever done that though, provided development for an outside planner/director? Usually they're the reverse?

Given Japan Studio's track record I'd guess it would be outsourced to someone like Marvelous AQL, Matrix Software, Racjin, Shade, etc. I think Craft & Meister might be a good match given the Capcom/Monhan connection, though they don't really have a history with SCEI.
Martix would be a terrible outcome, that would likely make this a successor to one of the worst rated games of all time.

Wishful thinking has me making the From Software connection as well, even if it's not the team that worked on the Souls games. If not though, anyone else hopefully. Team Siren would be an interesting outcome, it's one of the few internal teams that I think I'd have faith in after how well Gravity Rush has been received.

I wish there were other video games around that involved killing monsters apart from Monster Hunter. *sighs* Oh well.
When you have a portable coop game about hunting monsters with your friends and forging equipments of course people are going to make comparisions.

Sony and many others want to copy Monster Hunter formula and this is a fact, I'm not sure why some of you are in denial.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yoshiki Okamoto? Have people actually found him yet? I thought he just vanished an no one has ever seen or heard of him again.

SCEJ ninjas got him, and he is now in Japan Studio secret room making Folklore 2 with Team Toyama.

Oh boy accusations of Sony directly copying Monster Hunter has already started.

Monster Hunter invented: "Hunting" "For" "Monster" and Cooperative play, it only makes sense.

This game seems like it could be borrowing certain aspects, but it seems to have different mechanics. We will need to see the unveil and game play videos to reach that conclusion.

jj984jj

SCEJ ninjas got him, and he is now in Japan Studio secret room making Folklore 2 with Team Toyama.
Wouldn't be the same unless they have Cozy Okada as well, which is just as likely though since he vanished as well lol.

prwxv3

When you have a portable coop game about hunting monsters with your friends and forging equipments of course people are going to make comparisions.

Sony and many others want to copy Monster Hunter formula and this is a fact, I'm not sure why some of you are in denial.

But there is a difference between taking inspiration from Monster Hunter and creating new mechanics and twists compared to making a direct copy that copies everything from mechanics to monster designs. So far this game has different monster design, art, and it has magic attacks. We will have to wait to see more about it.

RaffAO

Nothing about this looks like From Software's Souls series. Nothing.

It does however look like an attempt to play with some of Dark/Demon's elements, probably in quite a superficial and more conventional way.

I expect they're looking to use:

-dark fantasy
-3rd person action game
-co-op
-big boss fights

But probably not a lot else.

theBishop

Banned
It does however look like an attempt to play with some of Dark/Demon's elements, probably in quite a superficial and more conventional way.

I expect they're looking to use:

-dark fantasy
-3rd person action game
-co-op
-big boss fights

But probably not a lot else.

That's what I'm guessing too, and that could be fucking great in the right hands. I hope there's character progression at least, if it's not full-on rpg stat tracking.

Emitan

We dont really know the game mechanics ect. So calling it a direct copy right now is retarded. It is taking some inspiration for sure though.

There are enough details to claim the game has monsters. There are not enough details to assume the purpose is to hunt them.

Besides, given the teaser, it obviously has many many differences from monster hunter even if it was in the same vain.

I was kidding :T

Patapwn

The more I think about this game the less I think the focus will be forging equipment. I mean, duckroll pointed out the teaser characters don't have weapons. And considering forging equipment is the basis for MH, the games look different on a fundamental level

cornerman

Why are people jumping to conclusions that this is some kind of Demon's Souls game? Just cause it has the word "soul" in the name? I was under the impression that Sony owned the license. If so, why wouldn't they just leverage the game with the original title. Why would they drop all that and make a new name for it?

Naw, I say its they're attempt at Monster Hunter before I'd say Demon Souls.

Why are people jumping to conclusions that this is some kind of Demon's Souls game? Just cause it has the word "soul" in the name? I was under the impression that Sony owned the license. If so, why wouldn't they just leverage the game with the original title. Why would they drop all that and make a new name for it?

Naw, I say its they're attempt at Monster Hunter before I'd say Demon Souls.

We're just speculating - that's part of the fun!

muu

The more I think about this game the less I think the focus will be forging equipment. I mean, duckroll pointed out the teaser characters don't have weapons. And considering forging equipment is the basis for MH, the games look different on a fundamental level

What different would it be if you were forging runes instead of weapons? Kill monsters, gather souls, collect certain types of souls by which you make cursed runes that give you various magical powers. It's a proven concept and I find it hard to believe they'll stray too far away from it.

Patapwn

I just had a horrible though. Maybe this isn't MH meets DS, maybe it's MH meets dynasty warrior... OH GOD NOOO!!!

B.O.O.M

But isn't that a sword at the very end?

Patapwn

What different would it be if you were forging runes instead of weapons? Kill monsters, gather souls, collect certain types of souls by which you make cursed runes that give you various magical powers. It's a proven concept and I find it hard to believe they'll stray too far away from it.

That's possible. And I'm sure they'll have a system like that because what is a game without progression? But from the andriasang post it seems like this game will have a story. That leds me to think the game will have a focus rooted in something besides killing monsters for equipment.

But isn't that a sword at the very end?

I thought that at first but after a rewatch it seems to be moving and looks kind of like a clenched fist. Perhaps it's a spell

That is indeed a horrible thought. Why would you ever think of something as horrible as Dynasty Warriors?

Nightmare fuel

B.O.O.M

That's possible. And I'm sure they'll have a system like that because what is a game without progression? But from the andriasang post it seems like this game will have a story. That leds me to think the game will have a focus rooted in something besides killing monsters for equipment.

I thought that at first but after a rewatch it seems to be moving and looks kind of like a clenched fist

Really? It looks like a blade to me personally. More like a blade that is part of the arm or something. Maybe it's a magical ability that creates a weapon for a melee attack?

Martix would be a terrible outcome, that would likely make this a successor to one of the worst rated games of all time.

Wishful thinking has me making the From Software connection as well, even if it's not the team that worked on the Souls games. If not though, anyone else hopefully. Team Siren would be an interesting outcome, it's one of the few internal teams that I think I'd have faith in after how well Gravity Rush has been received.
I tend to agree with the 8-4 guys, if was FROM we'd have known it by now.

I think Marvelous AQL could be good. They're already working with Inafune on his 3DS action game, plus having some the guys behind games like Nier, The Last Story, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Little King's Story, Drakengard, etc, etc, is no bad thing.

I'm just hoping it's a fun, dark, open world action RPG in the vein of the SOULS games. I think that's what everyone is hoping for but it'll be interesting to see who's working on it and how similar to the SOULS games it is.

SCEI games with "Soul" in the title:

Bleach: Heat the Soul 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 [PSP] Eighting
FolksSoul [PS3] Game Republic
Bleach: Soul Carnival 1/2 [PSP] Racjin
Coded Soul [PSP] Gaia
Demon's Souls [PS3] FROM Software
Bleach: Soul Ignition [PS3] Racjin

Patapwn

SCEI games with "Soul" in the title:

Bleach: Heat the Soul 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 [PSP] Eighting
FolksSoul [PS3] Game Republic
Bleach: Soul Carnival 1/2 [PSP] Racjin
Coded Soul [PSP] Gaia
Demon's Souls [PS3] FROM Software
Bleach: Soul Ignition [PS3] Racjin
Yeah but only demons souls has the same font

Checkmate :p

trw

The world wants a portable Souls game by FROM. I feel like this is gonna be a letdown.

Do the world want that really? I can't imagine a souls game that is made for a portable experience that would retain the sense of danger and tension. The souls game are made for longer periods of play with the player constantly focused on the game. If they want to translate something to a portable device I would imagine they have to rework almost everything that makes the souls games good. If they just made a souls game for vita I don't think there's a market.

jj984jj

I tend to agree with the 8-4 guys, if was FROM we'd have known it by now.

I think Marvelous AQL could be good. They're already working with Inafune on his 3DS action game, plus having some the guys behind games like Nier, The Last Story, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Little King's Story, Drakengard, etc, etc, is no bad thing.
I don't think too highly of a lot of their games and several that I do think are above average were outsourced. Those games you've listed aren't exactly what I'd call a strong line-up either, and we do know a lot of the people who worked on them are not internal or key people who have left since they were released. In the last few years they've consolidated and merged as well so who really knows what's left of the internal companies that were a part of those games to begin with. MAQL would just leave me as impartial but if it has to be a company Inafune is already working with since he left Capcom, MAQL might be better choice than Idea Factory/Compile Heart.

Although I don't think it's necessary to discount the possibility of From just yet, the game hasn't even been formally revealed yet. They could've wanted to keep it a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom