• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) teaser trailer [Up: Inafune, Marvelous AQL, Mitsuda, Hokoyama]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yjynx

OK now this is getting my full attention.

Edit:
Is that a bird with skull as it's head..? Definitely liking the monster.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good. I like how it is in English as well and its implications.
The implication is that Japan thinks English text is the coolest thing.
That said, I'm sure it will reach America, just like Gravity Daze before it.

Tiamant

im-okay-with-this.png

Maybe Sony will finally have a first-party game to sell their handheld hardware. I get the impression that they're trying to take things into their own hands. I think this might be my most anticipated Vita game already.

Oni Jazar

Way to fast paced and crazy to be a souls game but it looks like a cool sword and sorcery type game!

Actually looks more like Dragons Dogma.

Soul Sacrifice's full reveal will come at a press conference on the 10th. However, we may get advance word on the game tomorrow via the usual Weekly Famitsu leaks. Famitsu.com is promising a seven page feature on the game detailing the game's story, magic, monsters and other areas. The site also promises comments from the game's development staff and "conceptor."

(Some have pointed out that the use of the phrase "conceptor" suggests that this game may be Keiji Inafune's mystery Vita title, as he often uses the term to describe his job.)

http://andriasang.com/con0x8/soul_sacrifice_video/

Nice! Was worried they wouldn't show much gameplay, but since the teaser has it then that means we should see a lot of gameplay and features talked about on the 10th. Looks very promising.

Mondriaan

If Inafune is indeed working on that game, it probably means that Sony isn't expecting MH on the Vita in the foreseeable future. Maybe they can get Inafune to work on a spiritual successor to Megaman Legends 3 afterwards :p.

duckroll

Yeah I checked the Famitsu page.

さらに、本作の制作総指揮&コンセプターからのコメントも掲載している。それは、ぜひ誌面で確認してほしい。数々の名作を手掛けてきた彼が、どのような作品を生み出すのか?

They're playing up the creator by teasing that there will be comments in the mag from the executive director and conceptor. They also mention that the creator has worked on many major titles in the past.

Inafune confirmed. :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If Inafune is indeed working on that game, it probably means that Sony isn't expecting MH on the Vita in the foreseeable future.
Yeah, they're putting too much effort and marketing into a competing game if they expect Monster Hunter to come to the platform.

Yeah I checked the Famitsu page.

They're playing up the creator by teasing that there will be comments in the mag from the executive director and conceptor. They also mention that the creator has worked on many major titles in the past.

Inafune confirmed. :p

How long has Inafune been away from Capcom? A year? Doesn't seem like he has been away long enough to be this far in on a Sony title, especially if he is the creator. Then again my timeline could be off.

Luigiv

After a teaser?

Yeah some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous. All these teaser shows is a few attack animations and they're cropped and unclear bits of footage at that.

This really shows us almost nothing about the game. There are some attack animations and a few monster designs that's it. How can you any of you say it looks like MH-esque gameplay from just that? How can any of you be claiming that you're sold on the game already? A good action game needs more then just pretty attack animations and monster designs.

Keep yourselves in check people, the footage looks good for what it is but it's not much. A lot of you seem to be seeing things that aren't actually there.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This really shows us almost nothing about the game. There are some attack animations and a few monster designs that's it. How can you any of you say it looks like MH-esque gameplay from just that?
Firstly, the concept of a co-operative game designed for handheld platforms about taking down giant monsters in a fantasy setting...well, it screams Monster Hunter. Maybe knowing that's what the game is about is affecting my impressions, but the first thing I thought when I looked at the gameplay snippits in that footage was 'Monster Hunter'.

Really hoping it's a 2012 game. Other than Gravity Daze (and maybe SFxT) I'm not exactly foaming at the mouth at Vita's upcoming software lineup.

Luigiv

Firstly, the concept of a co-operative game designed for handheld platforms about taking down giant monsters in a fantasy setting...well, it screams Monster Hunter. Maybe knowing that's what the game is about is affecting my impressions, but the first thing I thought when I looked at the gameplay snippits in that footage was 'Monster Hunter'.

Thank you for proving my point of seeing things in the footage that are actually there.

I'm not saying the game won't be a Monster Hunter clone but if it is, it's impossible to determine that from this footage. The elements that truly define Monster Hunter style gameplay and the elements it's clones have in common are the mission structure, the co-op, the loot and crafting, the map layouts and the focus on lengthy boss battles. As far as I can tell, none of that was in the footage and the only thing confirmed externally is the co-op. The combat animations and the monster designs look nothing like MH either, so it can't be that you see.

That footage could have just as easily have been cut-out of any other sub-genre of action game/action RPG. It could be a linear, story driven romp for all we can see. Maybe it's an innovative new take on the genre's fundamentals.

The affect of biases on the human psyche is truly a sight to behold.

Mondriaan

If you take out the handheld platform part, it screams Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. It's possible that they are only borrowing a few elements from Demon's Souls, but the way that DS incorporates online coop/pvp is miles ahead of anything in MH (aside from making coop play with friends easy- but it's understandable from a thematic standpoint). It would be great to see those online elements incorporated in this new game.

Luigiv

If you take out the handheld platform part, it screams Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. It's possible that they are only borrowing a few elements from Demon's Souls, but the way that DS incorporates online coop/pvp is miles ahead of anything in MH (aside from making coop play with friends easy- but it's understandable from a thematic standpoint). It would be great to see those online elements incorporated in this new game.

Yeah no. Completely different implementations with completely different goals. One cannot be "miles ahead" of the other because they're not even travelling the same route. Take your retarded fanboy bullshit elsewhere.

duckroll

The purpose of a teaser is to get people excited and to see what they want to see and speculate. Telling people not to speculate is silly. It's part of the fun. :p

The purpose of a teaser is to get people excited and to see what they want to see and speculate. Telling people not to speculate is silly. It's part of the fun. :p
Plus it makes sense for Sony to develop a game similar to Monster Hunter because of how much it helped the PSP. It's a good starting point in terms of speculation and it's not like anyone is claiming that it's 100% certain.

Luigiv

I'm not telling people not to speculate, I'm just telling them they're crazy.

There a big difference between "Looks like it could be a MH clone" and "Looks like a MH clone". The former is speculation the later is a blatant lie.

duckroll

I'm not telling people not to speculate, I'm just telling them they're crazy.

There a big difference between "Looks like it could be a MH clone" and "Looks like a MH clone". The former is speculation the later is a blatant lie.

All the same to me. Who died and made you God. Just let people have their fun. :p

Mondriaan

Yeah no. Completely different implementations with completely different goals. On cannot be miles ahead of the other because they're not even travelling the same route.
The server/gate/city menu navigation system is a terrible implementation. It takes you out of the game. Other players are also just names/equipment lists in a room until you enter the room/city. Don't get me wrong- online in MH is completely serviceable, but it's not a particularly seamless system.

duckroll

I hope it's a card-based skill system like Phantom Dust. And maybe you can earn random skills from beating enemies, and fuse them to make new skills and trade with other players!

Alrus

That's a pretty stupid comment to be honest... Especially considering what DS tries to achieve with its co-op is something that nobody would care for in MH. The goals are totally different.

(I never understood why MH gets compared to DS so much btw, they have almost nothing in common)

Ph2wE.png

That's clearly a big blade or sword, I dunno arm blade or something haha. After brandishing it the character swings it into a monster in the teaser. I think that's pretty evident of melee combat. The swing was a lot like, if not just like a big sword swing in Demon's Souls. I think the initial gameplay shown was of a character running into a big fiery explosion, possibly a spell, not actually attacking. Everything else looked very much like it had the pacing from the Souls games.

Jonnyram

Random possibilities for the creator:
Inafune
Okamoto
Sakaguchi

I wouldn't mind Sakaguchi, or maybe even Inafune. Wouldn't be too pumped if it was Okamoto though lol.
That said, the style of the game doesn't really look like anything any of those guys would be involved with.

Arxisz

I hope it's a card-based skill system like Phantom Dust. And maybe you can earn random skills from beating enemies, and fuse them to make new skills and trade with other players!

One of my fave xbox games. that system would be great for multiplayer aswell.

Ridley327

That's a pretty stupid comment to be honest... Especially considering what DS tries to achieve with its co-op is something that nobody would care for in MH. The goals are totally different.

(I never understood why MH gets compared to DS so much btw, they have almost nothing in common)

They're Japanese!

And, umm, they have loot!

Arxisz

Ph2wE.png

That's clearly a big blade or sword, I dunno arm blade or something haha. After brandishing it the character swings it into a monster in the teaser. I think that's pretty evident of melee combat. The swing was a lot like, if not just like a big sword swing in Demon's Souls. I think the initial gameplay shown was of a character running into a big fiery explosion, possibly a spell, not actually attacking. Everything else looked very much like it had the pacing from the Souls games.

Yeah that's what I thought aswell, although there is an object going down into the enemy, no idea if it was part of a spell.

Jonnyram

It's probably Inafune honestly. Why else would they use the term Conceptor?
Yeah, he makes most sense, considering the Game Tengoku interview also.
Honestly, he gets a bad rep on GAF for some of the stuff he says, but he's been involved in some solid games in the last couple of gens. I totally enjoyed Onimusha, Dead Rising and Lost Planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom