• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If you have controller/arcade stick with Turbo button:

Assign B (attack) to X or A button (depending on console). Go to Quick Battle, pick Pyrrha Omega, find BloodFrosty, set X/A to turbo and walk away for a few hours.

I've had this running for a bit and I'm at 65-0. :D
Haha, perfect, just like how I used Yunseong and K on Auto against a 0% health inactive 2P to grind the match counter in SC3 while I slept. 2000 or even 5000 matches was nothing!

I'm going to kill something if I don't figure out how to handle Sig. Those Oki setup's are sexy has hell. I need to get more offline matches with this Match-Up. Any solid Sig players on GAF(360)? I main Mitsu btw....

Guess I've been lucky so far but I haven't encountered any lame penis-y CaS characters and I've faced a decent mix of opponents. I think the two most common I've faced so far have been Ezio and Nightmare, followed by Mitsu, Pat and Natsu. Encountered some rarer characters like Ivy too. This is in the Coliseum btw.

Natsu is the bane to my existence, have no idea what to do against that insanely fast teleporting maniac.

VerTiGo

Banned
Why does the QCF motion have the same fuction as double-tap/hold? I don't understand, how I should be playing this game if both work....

frequency

Why does the QCF motion have the same fuction as double-tap/hold? I don't understand, how I should be playing this game if both work....

It doesn't to me. It'd be a lot easier and less finger-hurty if it did!

I had to give up the Alexandra characters because I can't do QCF reliably anymore with my crummy old hands. No angel step makes me cry.
If only I could find a cheap but quality stick to play with...

Also, matchmaking should consider win ratio. Why am I being paired with someone who is like 83-7. :(

scosher

It doesn't to me. It'd be a lot easier and less finger-hurty if it did!

I had to give up the Alexandra characters because I can't do QCF reliably anymore with my crummy old hands. No angel step makes me cry.
If only I could find a cheap but quality stick to play with...

Also, matchmaking should consider win ratio. Why am I being paired with someone who is like 83-7. :(

Playing on a D-Pad, and my thumb is killing me after just 3 hours of play from having to do so many QCF's in this game. Might have to try stick instead. It's also much easier doing the double QCF supers with a stick rather than D-pad.

Noaloha

Are there any decent anti-Voldo guides out there? I need a high-school safer sex class on his fightstyle, showing me where everything goes, dos and don'ts, etc.

Or is feeling violated, slightly clammy and left with thoughts of where the nearest chemist is located the norm against him?

"The odds of Algol showing up in that seems really low.

I've searched for him countless pages and still haven't found him in QB."

You have to be past level 12-13 and you have to fight until he shows up, not search.

Nope.

You have to unlock Legendary Souls first, then go Quick Battle. Set your search criteria to Europe, Intermediate, and New Players First sorting. He will show up rather quickly as you beat down others and do search. Found him in less than 3 minutes.

Natsu >>>>>>>>>>>Taki

She is awesome. Where are my Natsubros at?

My usage frequency is 100% Natsu (until story mode fucked it up).

So far, my wins are around 78% with her online. I usually only end up losing to pros at 85%+ win rate.

sleepykyo

Certainly not in that tutorial mode that teaches you how to play the game. Wait...

Well, legendary souls does a pretty good of teaching which moves are unsafe.

And the training mode does have a small tips section for each character. It was press up on the right stick until it shows up. Then select + o (then it is back + b on the 360 pad) to cycle through them.

i just went through Ivy's moves,
after a boycott since SC3 and SC4; Ivy will return into my fold of characters

i did not like the Vanessa-rization of Ivy in SC3 and SC4, I am glad Ivy is back!

frequency

Playing on a D-Pad, and my thumb is killing me after just 3 hours of play from having to do so many QCF's in this game. Might have to try stick instead. It's also much easier doing the double QCF supers with a stick rather than D-pad.

Yup. D-Pad for me too.
But it takes way less than 3 hours for my stupid weak fingers to hurt.
I used to play Cassandra and I was fine with the angel steps. But I guess I've gotten old or something. I can't do it anymore.

I never do CE's because I just can't pull them off with any kind of consistency.

I wish I had a stick. I don't think I would buy one unless they were cheap though. SC and non-tag Tekken are the only fighting games I really play and only casually. Mostly single player. Sticks aren't a justified purchase for me.

Noaloha

Better day online today. Spent a fair while back in the training room just going over half a dozen command normals / situational combos, then, instead of jumping into a lobby, hung out in Quick Battle for an hour or two hunting a particular title board that I wanted*. I realised that trying to get match-scenario inputs muscle-memoried down during a lobby is no good -- too much downtime between games. The non-stop AI battles were much more effective at allowing me to start pressing buttons with a means to an end.

Once I got back online, I still went through many, many losses, but I grabbed the very odd win also. Which was nice. Way more importantly though, during all those losses, I was able to tease lots of spinny 'EXCELLENT's out of my opponents' victory screens. Makes all the difference to how much fun I'm having.

* 'Nervous as hell.'

I'd seen a few people with it and it sounded absolutely descriptive of my mindstate when faced with playing a Real Person on the other side of a loading screen. I searched and searched to no avail, cutting down swathes of NPCs all the while. Of course, later on, I found it sitting quite happily in my list later on as a title unlocked by some other means. And anyways, by then I'd already married myself to the altogether more this-is-what-you-should-expect-from-me title card of 'Reckless fool.'

Skilletor

Yup. D-Pad for me too.
But it takes way less than 3 hours for my stupid weak fingers to hurt.
I used to play Cassandra and I was fine with the angel steps. But I guess I've gotten old or something. I can't do it anymore.

I never do CE's because I just can't pull them off with any kind of consistency.

I wish I had a stick. I don't think I would buy one unless they were cheap though. SC and non-tag Tekken are the only fighting games I really play and only casually. Mostly single player. Sticks aren't a justified purchase for me.

You can get a WWE mad cats stick for 30 bucks.

Noaloha

There's no spectator mode as such (that I'm aware of).

Closest thing you could get would be to host a lobby and just hope it fills up reasonably well. You then let the matches pass you by and people play over you. I have no idea what, if any, etiquette there is around that sort of thing.

EDit: Or another (easier yet grainier) option would be to check if the 8WayRun lobby is up. :]

This is starting to bother me, I'm still not able to play any matches online.

I've got 100% internet connection and 4 or 5 bar matches but the game still lags out and disconnects at the beginning of EVERY match. I've never had any trouble with other online PS3 games, so why is this happening?

Is it on Namco's end? Because it seems like the majority of you guys aren't having any problems at all. :/

oh wow, just paused the game and noticed Natsu has a fully 3d modeled and normal mapped cameltoe
And they spent quite a good amount of polygons on it, I'd say :lol

Zomba13

You know what? FUCK Hard mode Nightmare.
Finally beat him but took almost 45 mins. I'm crying just thinking about Legendary Souls mode ;_;

Guesong

Finally beat him but took almost 45 mins. I'm crying just thinking about Legendary Souls mode ;_;

If it's any consolation, just follow the advice a good fellow gave here and use Viola for Legendary Souls.

8A+B, B+K worked wonder, though Algol was a little bitch at the end still.

I feel exactly like you nightmare is just so hard in this game...The Ai is just so good every mistake is punished instanly

There's no spectator mode as such (that I'm aware of).

Closest thing you could get would be to host a lobby and just hope it fills up reasonably well. You then let the matches pass you by and people play over you. I have no idea what, if any, etiquette there is around that sort of thing.

EDit: Or another (easier yet grainier) option would be to check if the 8WayRun lobby is up. :]

Cool. Can I join a lobby and watch or is hosting a better option? I was just missing around with it last night because it was the first time I could actually connect to the Global Colosseo successfully.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Been away from the thread for a while and just happy to see that regular pat is nowhere near as liked as I thought.

Noaloha

Cool. Can I join a lobby and watch or is hosting a better option?
Well you can do what you like, obviously. :]

That said, personally, I'd feel kinda awkward jumping into someone else's lobby to just spectate though. At the very least I'd ask the lobby host in chat if s/he was cool with it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a kick if you just lurked silently. At least with your own lobby you're in charge and you've no chance of treading on toes (if someone creates, say, a 5-person lobby, it's understandable if they hoped to actually play against four other people).

You could even allude to the fact you're just spectating in your lobby's name just so's people know what to expect. 'Dance for me' has a not-at-all-creepy ring to it.

jmdajr

Just a few notes...

I rented Soul Caliber V this weekend and had enjoyed playing it. Character creation is awesome but I did feel the cpu was a bit over powered. I felt like once I got knocked down it's over :( Just completely helpless. Regardless I had fun and made me want to try out my older games. I never got part IV so it's been awhile.

I found III in my collection even though I hardly played it. And man...doe sit look AWFUL on my PS3. I know we are in the HD era but my memory of the old games can't be that bad. Just looks like a blurry mess.

After that I found my copy of Soul Caliber II for Xbox and was happy it worked on my 360. That looked MUCH better. I don't know if the PS3 emulation sucks or what but it turned me off to playing the game.

As far as part 2 goes that story mode is much more involved than what 5 offers. Also, it's seems IVY isn't as fun to use anymore. She used to be swinging her whip every which way.
Her version if part 5 is not as cool.

Anyhow that's all I have to add.

V graphics do look awesome by the way. Might pick up part IV now..it's only 20 bucks.
Might get 5 when cheaper.

any thoughts welcome.

Well you can do what you like, obviously. :]

That said, personally, I'd feel kinda awkward jumping into someone else's lobby to just spectate though. At the very least I'd ask the lobby host in chat if s/he was cool with it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a kick if you just lurked silently. At least with your own lobby you're in charge and you've no chance of treading on toes (if someone creates, say, a 5-person lobby, it's understandable if they hoped to actually play against four other people).

You could even allude to the fact you're just spectating in your lobby's name just so's people know what to expect. 'Dance for me' has a not-at-all-creepy ring to it.

Yeah, I'll play people. It's just I'm not good right now and I swear I read in the manual about a spectator mode so I was just wondering how to get to it :) I got my answer now lol.

Just a few notes...

I rented Soul Caliber V this weekend and had enjoyed playing it. Character creation is awesome but I did feel the cpu was a bit over powered. I felt like once I got knocked down it's over :( Just completely helpless. Regardless I had fun and made me want to try out my older games. I never got part IV so it's been awhile.

I found III in my collection even though I hardly played it. And man...doe sit look AWFUL on my PS3. I know we are in the HD era but my memory of the old games can't be that bad. Just looks like a blurry mess.

After that I found my copy of Soul Caliber II for Xbox and was happy it worked on my 360. That looked MUCH better. I don't know if the PS3 emulation sucks or what but it turned me off to playing the game.

As far as part 2 goes that story mode is much more involved than what 5 offers. Also, it's seems IVY isn't as fun to use anymore. She used to be swinging her whip every which way.
Her version if part 5 is not as cool.

Anyhow that's all I have to add.

V graphics do look awesome by the way. Might pick up part IV now..it's only 20 bucks.
Might get 5 when cheaper.

any thoughts welcome.

Soul Calibur II runs in 720p on Xbox (and I assume on 360) so it holds up much better. I think the models and design are better on III though.

So, if anyone wants a really easy/brain dead way to rack up Player Points...

-Go to Options, set the B attack to the X button. (Or whatever the confirm button is on the 360.)
-Go to Arcade, Set the difficulty to easy and pick any route. Select Raphael or Cervantes.
-Mash X for profit.

Now you can watch a movie/the Superbowl, read a book, surf the net, etc. all while grinding PP. I'm actually doing it right now.

And in case anyone is wondering, you'll have all the CaS gear and weapons by player level 53. Everything after that is just titles, backgrounds and patterns/stickers.

Had some piece of shit talk trash about me online "omg, all you can do is the same move over and over?!?!" while I played Raphael. It's Raph, he's supposed to go for guard breaks as much as possible.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got a rage mail from a Mitsu last night when I did Xiba's dirty bo on the edge of the stage when I almost got perfected. I love that move, I got so much shit for it in IV.

remz

I found one other australian in ranked two nights ago and now I can't find another to paly against, ever. :|

100% 1-0 win ratio in ranked 4eva

LowParry

Had some piece of shit talk trash about me online "omg, all you can do is the same move over and over?!?!" while I played Raphael. It's Raph, he's supposed to go for guard breaks as much as possible.

Psh, if the guy can't learn to sidestep well...that's his problem. Raph is awesome. Glad I picked him up this time.

V_Arnold

Met with a lot of Xibas online. Beat all of them with my Xiba.
One was a Luffy, his name was "take away my winning streak please", or something like that.
I did :D

This other dude has the name Pinky Popo or something like that, was almost nude, was Astaroth, with purple underwear, and his stat was 18-0. I was afraid. First because of his potential skill, then because he might be a ragequitter, and I finished him with a clean 3-0 (round-wise), ending with a Hyper :D. But: he did not ragequit, so good for him. 18-1 now, I guess :D

Xiba is quite tricky. On the surface, he is plain as hell. But if you want to become unpredictable, you gotta start utilizing the weirder inputs. And from there on, one has to have a solid mixup game. Still struggle some against Patroklos: if I am the offensive one, I win. If I stop for a second, I might even lose the blocking battle.

V_Arnold

Lots of Xiba's just like there were tons of Kiliks in SCIV. Trying to herp derp their way to wins.

I do not really get this, honestly. There are MUCH easier options to "herp derp", just choose one of the launcher-happy Patro/Pyrrha/Omega Pyrrha chars and mash it more safely, a bit more faster. Xiba hits a skill cap quite fast, if they are not using their brains. But whatever, people like staffs , news at 11. :D

DR2K

Banned
I do not really get this, honestly. There are MUCH easier options to "herp derp", just choose one of the launcher-happy Patro/Pyrrha/Omega Pyrrha chars and mash it more safely, a bit more faster. Xiba hits a skill cap quite fast, if they are not using their brains. But whatever, people like staffs , news at 11. :D

There were, just that Kilik/Xiba seem to resonate more with scrubs.

sleepykyo

There are MUCH easier options to "herp derp", just choose one of the launcher-happy Patro/Pyrrha/Omega Pyrrha chars and mash it more safely, a bit more faster.

Reach matters a lot online, I guess.

Pat and Pyr's 66b is safe, but their 3B's aren't. Ditto for Pat's ws A+B and ws K, A.

Then there is getting the rolling motion down.

I still haven't tried all of the characters yet, but I'm liking Xiba and Patsuka. Do I really need to learn just frames with Patsuka to be competent? That's the only thing I don't like about him because I suck at that :|

Also, what are some basic strategies with those two?

Noaloha

As much as I've enjoyed my inaugural SCV weekened with ZWEI (or, rather, a moody Final Fantasy Summoner with a Fenrir in her pocket), I'm going to go ahead and accept that I may need to pick up another character to treat as my go-to warrior person. Just winding down the night on the 8WR site, finally reading up on his character, and one of the threads discussing pokes begins thusly: So, Z.W.E.I. is slow, is easy to step, and has poor range - in short, he's not very good at controlling space. That means that, as a Z.W.E.I. player, it's going to be essential to know how to control it as best as you can, because you really don't have a lot to fall back on if you fail. And I realised, with my own particular heady mix of slow reactions and poor fundamentals, I'm gonna get shmushed into the dirt if I main this guy. Tomorrow I will fool around a while and hopefully end the night climbing sheepishly into bed with someone a tad more easy-mode.

Top Bottom