• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

big_z said:
those that hate this episode must be Tyler Perry fans. it's not the best episode ever but i liked it.

That's the annoying guy who dressed up as a grandma in this episode, right? That's another reason why this episode is not funny because I have no idea who he is. As a result, I don't understand the jokes that revolve around his character. I figured he must be one of those Z-list celebrities who are only known in the US.

Dhx

big_z said:
those that hate this episode must be Tyler Perry fans. it's not the best episode ever but i liked it.

Really? The only non-German part about including Tyler Perry was Token's reaction, and that joke was milked to the point of becoming Germanic before the episode was half over. On the contrary, Tyler Perry is so German that even their parody of him was German.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy crap this was horrible. Did the writers simply want to push some social commentary about comedy? Ironic cause I couldn't see a single joke in there

Funnybot is a clever satire about the state of modern comedy.
The episode probably went over the heads of a few people I can imagine.

Teetris said:
Holy crap this was horrible. Did the writers simply want to push some social commentary about comedy? Ironic cause I couldn't see a single joke in there

It was that and it was also them criticizing the recent comedy awards on comedy central (which they won something by the way). It was nice from a philosophy perspective but for a comedy show it was terrible.

Which is kind of ironic in it's own way I guess.

Sanjuro

I'm loving the episode so far. Seems like more people as of late sit in this thread awaiting the death of the show.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'm loving the episode so far. Seems like more people as of late sit in this thread awaiting the death of the show.
That is the case since season 4.
Every new generation of southpark fans absolutely hates the respective next seaons after their first.
For the last 10 years 14 year olds have complained how the new season sucks and it's always the same reasons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What a shit episode. I feel like they were trying to make some point about comedy but it was pretty much lost on me.

SillyPuty

I didn't care for the episode. Didn't really think it was funny, but I didn't think it was horrible either.

Needs more Randy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ahoi-Brause said:
Funnybot is a clever satire about the state of modern comedy.
The episode probably went over the heads of a few people I can imagine.
Then Funnybot should have been Marc Maron-bot instead or something. :p

Rorschach

I guess this episode was a big fuck you to the Comedy Central Awards and Tyler Perry. Not very timely. It wasn't as bad as the reactions had me believing, but it wasn't great either.

KJTB

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

Not me, I just personally thought it was a shitty episode. South park is one of my favorite shows of all time, I've seen every episode no less than 2 times... some I've seen like 5 times :p

Dhx

Ahoi-Brause said:
That is the case since season 4.
Every new generation of southpark fans absolutely hates the respective next seaons after their first.
For the last 10 years 14 year olds have complained how the new season sucks and it's always the same reasons.

You're delusional if you don't realize it's the older fans that decry the downfall of the series just as it is with any TV show. Younger fans are much more forgiving as they didn't grow up with the early episodes. Are you trying to claim 75% of the posters in this thread are 14?

snesfreak

Banned
It wasn't the greatest episode, but I still enjoyed it.
But this being GAF even if it was the funniest episode of anything ever put on TV SOMEONE would still say it sucked.

Imm0rt4l

big_z said:
What kind of bizzaro world do you live in where most of gaf likes tyler perry? The Tyler Perry joke was mildly amusing the first time but became dumber with each time they repeated it.

HumancentiPad was weak and not funny at all. Funnybot, on the other hand... I laughed a few times. Not the best episode, but definitely a good one.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
firehawk12 said:
What a shit episode. I feel like they were trying to make some point about comedy but it was pretty much lost on me.
That's the joke?

It probably is. Probably.

snesfreak said:
It wasn't the greatest episode, but I still enjoyed it.
But this being GAF even if it was the funniest episode of anything ever put on TV SOMEONE would still say it sucked.

I would rank this episode as embarrassingly bad. Later season Simpsons bad. Where you would just feel embarrassed watching it if there was somebody else in the room.

If an episode makes you feel embarrassed for watching it, then yeah, it's pretty fucking terrible.

Dhx

Honestly, the more I reflect on it, it was bad to the point that I hope it was their full intention to make a shitty episode as a jab at Comedy Central. However, the chances of this being anything more than wishful thinking seem remote.

Two shitty eps to start the season. They're obviously burnt out from doing The Book of Mormon.

I'll be shocked if they renew their contract with Comedy Central this year. I think we're looking at the very last season of South Park. I guess that would put December 2011 as the end date.

DarkhawkX said:
Honestly, the more I reflect on it, it was bad to the point that I hope it was their full intention to make a shitty episode as a jab at Comedy Central. However, the chances of this being anything more than wishful thinking seem remote.
In that case it would still be shitty episode by all standards. You can make an episode so intentionally bad, that it gets a redeeming quality again. For example, that the humor used is so fucking lame, or that the story leads absolutely nowhere, that it gets funny again.

If Parker, Stone and their team wanted to make a "so bad it's good" episode, they didn't succeed imo. But I doubt that was their aim anyway.

Saying this might be the last season seems premature. Perhaps the show will rebound in a few episodes. Wouldn't be the first time. But this season has started of pretty meh, and last season as a whole was also pretty meh imho. That's not a good sign.

Souldriver said:
Saying this might be the last season seems premature. Perhaps the show will rebound in a few episodes. Wouldn't be the first time. But this season has started of pretty meh, and last season as a whole was also pretty meh imho. That's not a good sign.
In every interview they've given recently, they've been pretty vocal about being unhappy with South Park.

And given the massive success of The Book of Mormon, I think they're quickly realizing that they don't need South Park anymore. They can live off the royalties for the rest of their lives while pursuing other projects.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I dig that it was supposed to be satire, but it wasn't funny. Yeah, that might have been the point, but I didn't come for art, I came for laughs.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Damn, this episode was so bad that I felt the need to participate in the thread and express my disgust.

BertramCooper said:
In every interview they've given recently, they've been pretty vocal about being unhappy with South Park.

And given the massive success of The Book of Mormon, I think they're quickly realizing that they don't need South Park anymore. They can live off the royalties for the rest of their lives while pursuing other projects.
Really? I didn't know that. All I know is that in the audio commentaries of their episodes, they're always saying how they hate talking about their own stuff. They don't really seem to treasure their work, and most of the time the commentary is something like "yeah, we basically came up with that story on monday morning... we weren't happy with the ending, but we went with it anyway. Fuck it! Haha, yeah... Did we get to 3 minutes of talking yet...? Yes, ok, next episode!".

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, or an indication of them being "unhappy with South Park" like you say, but it's the closest I can think of. Can you direct me to some interviews where they talk about this?

Gotta agree with the sentiment that the episode was pretty bad, but the joke about the whole trailer park burning down got me at least, and a little bit where cartman offered kyle to the germans because he's jewish.

GDGF said:
I dig that it was supposed to be satire, but it wasn't funny. Yeah, that might have been the point, but I didn't come for art, I came for laughs.

Yeah, but good satire is still funny. This episode just fell kinda flat. Oh well. I like almost every episode, but there are bound to be crummy ones every now and then.

DarkhawkX said:
But what is it's not fun? That sounds like a modern Simpsons defense.

Yeah... they took the "The Simpsons did it!', from the shitty angle of the way the series has gone, and followed that. No idea why. Not sure if my post makes sense.

trinest

I have to say the episodes are not as great as past ones. I'm hoping this is the usual slag of meh episodes then we will get into some awesome ones.

glaurung

The second episode from the fifteenth season was very weak.

The arc with the Germans was boring and I cannot believe that they could not find proper Germans to do the dialogue, which was horrible. The Tyler Perry (?) stuff felt labored, but luckily he is a nobody where I live so I couldn't care less.

Spazzing out the FunBot with a logics puzzle was retarded.

mr. puppy

Banned
sums up this thread pretty well:

VBau4Hk2ShjcwooxZKoQQq3Qo1_500.jpg

mr. puppy said:
sums up this thread pretty well:

VBau4Hk2ShjcwooxZKoQQq3Qo1_500.jpg
Well, that's one conclusion you can draw from it. Another one is that South Park fans tuned in to watch the new season and are thoroughly disappointed with what they've seen so far.

No need to think we're all a bunch of haters who will shit on everything South Park related. I love the series. But that doesn't change the fact that recently the episodes have been subpar. And many people agree, going by this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom