• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park' Season 21 Takes on White Nationalist Movement

When one of the sides is actual Nazis I can't comprehend how people think South Park will both sides their commentary on "white nationalists" but who even knows anymore. I don't think they will, I think they're gonna go in hard after the misunderstanding of the last few seasons to make it really clear they don't support that shit like they did with Scientology etc

compo

Banned
I'm a bit skeptical of these guys, but I suppose I can give this one episode a viewing.

But for everyone trying to sarcastically brush aside the "both sides" issue: The term South Park Republican wasn't created for no reason.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm a bit skeptical of these guys, but I suppose I can give this one episode a viewing.

But for everyone trying to sarcastically brush aside the "both sides" issue: The term South Park Republican wasn't created for no reason.

Context is needed for the era. In the build up to this interview in 2001 the people that were focused the most on censorship was the left; Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman, which they absolutely hated. Matt and Trey have a problem seeing a lot of things as an extreme, like seeing Michael Moore as some larger part of the left. Their views likely changed on Republicans and Neoconservatism ever since the Republican party became all about Supply Side Jesus and Faux Patriotism.

You know whats easy? Making baseless accusation without even presenting any examples to back them up.

I've done it in the past

But there was the entire story-line about Mr. Garrisson performing a sex change just because he preferred being a heterosexual woman over being a closeted gay man, rather than because of any gender dysphoria.

There was the Michael Jackson episode where they took the entire piss out of the concept of racial discrimination in the police force.

There was the episode where Barack Obama decided economic policy by spinning a wheel (questioning the efficacy of public economic policy)

There was the ManBearPig episode where warnings about climate change were equated with baseless fearmongering.

There was the episode were they went out of their way to defend the rights of boy scout organizations to discriminate against homosexual people.

Too much stuff to count really

GAF explain MC in there, i'm confused.

I'm assuming it's because a lot of white nationalists happen to be "dude-bro" gamers which tends to associate with CoD/Halo

like this guy:
17-christopher-cantwell.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Cranster

Banned
GAF explain MC in there, i'm confused.
I didn't notice it until the first reply to my original post, lol. My assumption is that his appearance represents online gaming trashtalk or represents militarization of police. I guess we will find out Wednesday.

Snaku

Banned
I've done it in the past

But there was the entire story-line about Mr. Garrisson performing a sex change just because he preferred being a heterosexual woman over being a closeted gay man, rather than because of any gender dysphoria.

There was the Michael Jackson episode where they took the entire piss out of the concept of racial discrimination in the police force.

There was the episode where Barack Obama decided economic policy by spinning a wheel (questioning the efficacy of public economic policy)

There was the ManBearPig episode where warnings about climate change were equated with baseless fearmongering.

There was the episode were they went out of their way to defend the rights of boy scout organizations to discriminate against homosexual people.

And elections were always a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

Trojita

hydrophilic attack, the Michael Jackson bit was a satire on Police departments's actual racism problem. Both episodes with Michael Jackson and the police focused on this.

compo

Banned
There's also a reason nobody uses that term anymore

Context is needed for the era. In the build up to this interview in 2001 the people that were focused the most on censorship was the left; Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman, which they absolutely hated. Matt and Trey have a problem seeing a lot of things as an extreme, like seeing Michael Moore as some larger part of the left. Their views likely changed on Republicans and Neoconservatism ever since the Republican party became all about Supply Side Jesus and Faux Patriotism.

Well, I'll give this episode a shot, but I'm still cautiously holding a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude. It's my understanding that many of the South Park Republicans basically became the alt-right, and there are episodes from South Park in the past 2 years that have been completely driven into the ground by alt-righters. Like the PC guy and the episode that made fun of Amy Schumer.

So maybe Parker and Stone have changed somewhat, but they're certainly still throwing the alt-right a bone every once in a while.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
They better be going all in against right wing nazis and not be having any both sides nonsense.

Im sure they will find humour in both sides because its a tv comedy show and that is what they tend to do, theres plenty of humour to be had mocking everyone and they abundantly dont care what people think about it. Which I am fine with, I dont watch south park for politics.

ViciousDS

Banned
screen_shot_2017-09-11_at_9_0.jpg

"Protestors armed with tiki torches and confederate flags take to the streets of South Park. Randy comes to grips with what it means to be white in today’s society," according to the episode's description.

White nationalists made recent headlines after a protester at one of their rallies in Charlottesville was killed and numerous others were injured.

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone told The Hollywood Reporter they hoped to return to more traditional one-off storylines with the kids this season, rather than get too heavy with politics, which inadvertently happened last year after they decided to make Mr. Garrison a Donald Trump- like character, which as was done because it was assumed Hillary Clinton would the elected president.

Parker said he liked that Cartman got a girlfriend last season and that might stick, but it looks like Member Berries may be done.

South Park season 21 premieres Sept. 13.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-white-nationalist-movement-season-21-1037559

good, the long ass storylines of season 19 and 20 were some of my least favorite moments.

I'm going to guess that Matt & Trey don't take kindly to these types around here.

People accusing them of being right-wing are completely misguided.

The biggest issue with Matt and Trey is that they are so middle of the ground they always like to point out both sides are bad. Which becomes dull because anyone who is intelligent enough knows thats not the case.

Regardless I still enjoy them and mostly enjoyed the nuance they played with PC Principal and the following season with Trolls being the absolute worse.

Im sure they will find humour in both sides because its a tv comedy show and that is what they tend to do, theres plenty of humour to be had mocking everyone and they abundantly dont care what people think about it. Which I am fine with, I dont watch south park for politics.

tenor.gif

I don't think any of us really got into South Park because of the politics but the creators do inject their own into it even if its a middle of the ground kind of thing... and sometimes middle of the ground is the best way to go... especially when its against a bunch of white supremacists.

Doomsayer

I've done it in the past

I don't think you understand what satire is.

I think King of the Hill is somewhat similar, people who casually watch the show think it's about some rednecks in the south, when it is really just making of fun of said people.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I legitimately can't tell if this is a parody post

I've done it in the past

You're not watching the show correctly.

Snaku

Banned
Which was explicitly brought up in the last season to point out that it was not a good analogy for Clinton vs Trump!

Over a decade later? What good is that when the people who probably don't watch South Park anymore were already influenced by that message?

I think King of the Hill is somewhat similar, people who casually watch the show think it's about some rednecks in the south, when it is really just making of fun of said people.

But it's not. While Hank is a good ole boy he definitely learns from his actions and grows as a character. Typically he does it while being terribly annoyed which is where the comedy of that show lies. If anything Hank hill is a pretty good role model for red necks to aspire to be.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The biggest issue with Matt and Trey is that they are so middle of the ground they always like to point out both sides are bad. Which becomes dull because anyone who is intelligent enough knows thats not the case.

Regardless I still enjoy them and mostly enjoyed the nuance they played with PC Principal and the following season with Trolls being the absolute worse.

tenor.gif

I don't think any of us really got into South Park because of the politics but the creators do inject their own into it even if its a middle of the ground kind of thing... and sometimes middle of the ground is the best way to go... especially when its against a bunch of white supremacists.

Heres the thing, they dont really care that much about ideologies, they care about people and how people react, south park has always been a show about, as they personally describe it "Society is built to stop people from turning into animals" and what happens when society crumbles. So whereas you see it as "Taking both sides" I see it, and always have, "Why are people idiots, why do they do idiotic things", they mock everything, they mock things they believe in, and if they mock someone on the left in the show because of the absurdity they see I dont see that as an attack on the left just an observation that "Look at how, when taken to this extreme, some people can go".

And in the end as much as people want them to go single issue it probably would make for a very dull show in comparison to when they can piss a bunch of people off.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Doesn't help Matt fucking hates Michael Moore because of his interview with him in Bowling for Columbine.

Context matters a ton during these episodes. It is a show that has been airing for 20 years. Viewpoints change even though Douche vs giant turd was a thing it was made during the whole vote or die campaign.

Doomsayer

But it's not. While Hank is a good ole boy he definitely learns from his actions and grows as a character. Typically he does it while being terribly annoyed which is where the comedy of that show lies. If anything Hank hill is a pretty good role model for red necks to aspire to be.

Right, which is why I said somewhat similar. In the sense that a casual viewer would say something like "why would I watch a show about dumb rednecks?" as opposed to someone who watches it regularly. I only say that because I've heard people ask that same question.

kirblar

Over a decade later? What good is that when the people who probably don't watch South Park anymore we're already influenced by that message?
I mean, the whole Bush Presidency taught a lot of people that they were wrong back in the '00s?

People 25 and under who weren't old enough to receive that life lesson? (or vote in '08!) Dredging it up in order to shit on them was an effort to not repeat that history!

hydrophilic attack, the Michael Jackson bit was a satire on Police departments's actual racism problem. Both episodes with Michael Jackson and the police focused on this.

The entire Season 8 episode on MJ clearly was making fun of the concept of police discrimination against black people by showing the idea as utterly absurd. It becomes crystal clear that this was the purpose during Kyle's monologue at the end (and during the police officer's monologue around 15 minutes in). I urge you to go back and look at it again.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I actually don't like South Park very much, but I caught the season with the Trump stuff and it was pretty clearly not a both sides argument. Characters in the show cynically MADE that argument by quoting previous episodes of the show, but they were definitely portrayed as idiots. Their Trump character was literally sexually harassing women on stage and attacking his audience for being racists as they cheered him on for being "real."

They fucked the PC principal stuff up and they traditionally have appealed to bigots without doing enough to admonish them, but the Trump stuff played I think. If anything he seems like the one type of personality that would really piss them off.

Kyzer

Banned
They did kind of fuck up with global warming on south park lol not gonna lie. Wonder if they still feel the same way

wandering

Banned
They spent half a season showing how gauche and soulless gentrification is, jokingly equate NCAA sports to slavery, and took the Catholic Church and Scientology to task for their various abuses and tax dodging, but libertarian is the label they get?

You don't need to be Steven Universe to be progressive.

Uh, you do realize that they both self-identify as libertarians, right? Stone is registered with the Libertarian Party.

edit: Parker, not Stone.

Trojita

Rewatching the episode where Khan was introduced recently, I genuinally questioned whether people would think now a days the show and show creator were being racist with the "Are you Chinese or Japanese?" line when it is very obvious that the show was making fun of dumb uneducated red necks.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
They did kind of fuck up with global warming on south park lol not gonna lie. Wonder if they still feel the same way

Probably not but look when those episodes came out. It was when Day After Tomorrow and shit like that was coming out.

These are the guys before Team America wanted to do Day After Tomorrow with puppets because they got a leaked script.

Heres the thing, they dont really care that much about ideologies, they care about people and how people react, south park has always been a show about, as they personally describe it "Society is built to stop people from turning into animals" and what happens when society crumbles. So whereas you see it as "Taking both sides" I see it, and always have, "Why are people idiots, why do they do idiotic things", they mock everything, they mock things they believe in, and if they mock someone on the left in the show because of the absurdity they see I dont see that as an attack on the left just an observation that "Look at how, when taken to this extreme, some people can go".

And in the end as much as people want them to go single issue it probably would make for a very dull show in comparison to when they can piss a bunch of people off.

So now you're comparing their ideology to Steve Bannon.

Its a show that treads its wheels at time because they always go down the middle the characters never really grow. I enjoyed their season long arcs lately but wish they would have put a bit more effort into it instead of basically resetting each season. They really should have embraced character arcs more.

Starting out the show was great for teenagers and college kids because you're still figuring out the world and it was a great outlet to say he adults kind of suck. But they dont always need to take the middle of the road because usually when they do on some important topics they always come off as the bad guys.

Trojita

The entire Season 8 episode on MJ clearly was making fun of the concept of police discrimination against black people by showing the idea as utterly absurd. It becomes crystal clear that this was the purpose during Kyle's monologue at the end. I urge you to go back and look at it again.

Wasn't his speech specifically about rich black people? The joke was because at the time people believed that famous rich people like Kobe were being unjustly investigated because they were rich & black, not because they actually committed a crime.

The entire Season 8 episode on MJ clearly was making fun of the concept of police discrimination against black people by showing the idea as utterly absurd. It becomes crystal clear that this was the purpose during Kyle's monologue at the end. I urge you to go back and look at it again.

I... don't think that's what happened. They painted the situation as absurd (Policemen that can't comprehend how a black person is rich, they getting confused when looking at MJ's skin color) to say that yes, the Police acts incredibly racist towards black people and that it is absurd to judge people and act like they did based on someone's skin color.

I mean, I sincerely can't imagine how anyone could watch those MJ episodes and not take away that they were criticizing the police force.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
What? Why?

This is from wiki not the best source but it is something.

South Park co-creator Matt Stone—who grew up in Littleton—agreed to talk with Moore about his hometown and the shooting in the film. Although he did not feel that Moore mischaracterized him or his statements in the film, he harbored ill feelings about the cartoon "A Brief History of the United States of America". Both Stone and his fellow South Park creator Trey Parker felt that the cartoon was done in a style very similar to theirs. Also, its proximity to Stone's interview may have led some viewers to believe, incorrectly, that they created the cartoon. "It was a good lesson in what Michael Moore does in films. He doesn't necessarily say explicitly this is what it is, but he creates meaning where there is none by cutting things together," Stone remarked in a later interview.[19] As a humorous retort to this, Stone and Parker portrayed Moore as "a gibbering, overweight, hot-dog-eating buffoon" who ultimately commits a suicide bombing against the protagonists in their 2004 film, Team America: World Police.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nus9BZlAfQ

That is the cartoon.

Top Bottom