• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Hulk |OT| For the Emperor!

BibiMaghoo

screenshot-2.jpg

Info
Title: Space Hulk
Price: £22.99
Genre: Indie, Strategy
Developer: Full Control Studios
Publisher: Full Control
Release Date: 15 Aug 2013
Languages: English*
*languages with full audio support

Single-player
Multi-player
Cross-Platform Multiplayer
Steam Achievements
Partial Controller Support
Steam Trading Cards

PC System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or greater
DirectX: Version 9.0
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9000 series / ATI Radeon HD 3000 series or greater
DirectX: Version 9.0
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Mac System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

ABOUT SPACE HULK
Based on the best-selling board game and set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Space Hulk is a 3D digital turn based strategy game that recreates the classic claustrophobic board game experience for single player and multiplayer cross-platform play between PC, Mac and on iOS.

Space Hulk is set in the isolated corridors and tomb-like chambers of an ancient vessel lost in the graveyard of space. Players lead a small army of fearless Space Marine Terminators to battle in a ferocious fight for survival against hordes of predatory alien Genestealers.

The main features are:
Blood Angel terminator squad
Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI
Thematic 3d environment
Single player campaign based on the "Sin of Damnation" hulk
New coop multiplayer levels against the Genestealer AI
Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend
Cross platform multiplayer between PC, Mac and iOS
Level editor with ability to share creations
Game expansions in the future as DLC

"WE ARE THE VANGUARD OF HONOUR. THE CUTTING EDGE OF THE BLOOD ANGELS. WE BRING DEATH."

The legendary Space Hulk returns to Windows PC and Mac in this epic turn based strategy game. Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, an intriguing story of legendary battles and heroic actions unfolds. Play as a small squad of fearless Space Marine Terminators who attempt to reclaim their honor by mounting an assault on a derelict space hulk infested by hordes of vicious tyranid Genestealers.

Take control of the Adeptus Astartes of the Blood Angel chapter and guide them towards glory, while battling fierce Xenos and uncovering ancient relics in the infested confines of the massive Space Hulk named “Sin of Damnation”.

The game is a 3D digital turn based strategy game that recreates the classic claustrophobic board game experience in both singleplayer and multiplayer.

Pre-Purchase Offer
banner.png

Pre-Purchase Space Hulk to get exclusive content and a free Genestealer skin.

By pre-purchasing, you will receive an exclusive banner pole for showing off in multiplayer games. Additionally, you'll receive a Hive Fleet Kraken Genestealer skin, which can be enjoyed in both single player and multiplayer games, but is configured to show individually based on people's own game settings.

Trailer

Screens

RPS Hands on Video

Reviews

Rockpapershotgun = Bad.
Softpedia = 7.5
Metacritic

Karak

You did awesome thanks!
I am all over this game. Will do a review in a next couple days as well.

FloatOn

this looks like it has shades of XCOM: Enemy Unknown production value. It's a bit expensive for my taste at this moment in time but I'm definitely interested. I'll watch this thread for impressions.

Karak

After watching the previews and talking to a couple folks who played it the gameplay does seem to really feel good. We will see in a couple hours.

BibiMaghoo

You did awesome thanks!
I am all over this game. Will do a review in a next couple days as well.

Thank you.

I really want this game to be great, because it needs to be at this price. It is concerning that no reviews are around for it yet. I don't want to buy it until I have seen more, and I think most people are in the same boat.

Fingers crossed some reviews start popping up today.

Karak

Thank you.

I really want this game to be great, because it needs to be at this price. It is concerning that no reviews are around for it yet. I don't want to buy it until I have seen more, and I think most people are in the same boat.

Fingers crossed some reviews start popping up today.

I agree it can mean something but I have no lived through about a decade of good games having no previews before release day. I am not saying that its not a plan sometimes to keep bad news away. But its not always the precursor to bad news anymore. We will see.

BibiMaghoo

I agree it can mean something but I have no lived through about a decade of good games having no previews before release day. I am not saying that its not a plan sometimes to keep bad news away. But its not always the precursor to bad news anymore. We will see.

For sure. The game looks like it plays great. What I really want to gauge better is how much content the game has, the number of enemy types, customisation etc.

I'll add to the OP as I find it.

RMI

Banned
anyone know if this is a 1:1 recreation of the boardgame as far as rules and gameplay mechanics go? If so, I'm definitely interested.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im still wondering how is the game strategic when most of what has been shown so far are corridors that only fit units in a line.

RMI

Banned
Im still wondering how is the game strategic when most of what has been shown so far are corridors that only fit units in a line.

The boardgame is like that too. It has to do with differences in how Terminators and Genestealers move and fight.

twelver

You only have so many actions a turn to move your guys towards an objective while getting into proper position to defend yourself from the genestealers. It can be pretty difficult. It's plenty strategic though. There's a reason why its in the top 100 games at BGG.

Can't wait. Five hours to go.

I put my pre-order in my inventory when i ordered the game but Steam won't let me redeem it yet? It says it's already redeemed or to try later. Anyone else has such an issue before?
Is it because it's a pre-order in my inventory?

edit: i just mashed the "Add to library" button until it worked. Joy.

Karak

Ah, this may be why we have no reviews. If every review key is the same.

Correct. It appears that the keys are unlocking the same time the game is.

Anyone planning on playing this on a low spec machine? If it runs good I'll grab my dad a copy
Whenever I review PC games solely I run it on my high spec and low spec systems. Its an integrated GFX card laptop.

Storm360

Whenever I review PC games solely I run it on my high spec and low spec systems. Its an integrated GFX card laptop.

Thanks, my dad's PC isn't the best (2ghz cpu, 4gb ram, ATI 3450) but it runs DoW II okay so hopefully it will run well for this, normally isn't a problem because my PC can handle anything so he just uses that, but I'm moving away soon

You only have so many actions a turn to move your guys towards an objective while getting into proper position to defend yourself from the genestealers. It can be pretty difficult. It's plenty strategic though. There's a reason why its in the top 100 games at BGG.

This.
While it may be hard to picture, it'll become clear while playing the game, if it's any true to the original board game.
Like Twlever explains, and from what I can remember of my teenage days playing this great board game with my brothers, it's all about managing your action points. You even get "secret" action points that you can use during your oppenement's turn.

Terminators are very slow and hard to move (turning around cost a lot of action points, for example), while fast genestealers can only melee: the long corridors layout makes perfect sence once you start playing.

Now I must thank the OP for this tread, had totally forgot the game was coming out today, and thanks to him I managed to pre-order 5 hours before release. Strangely enough, I have never played any video game based on Space Hulk: really hopping this will be the real deal!

Decado

What I've seen hasn't looked too promising. It's like the corridor shooter of turn-based tactical games. Stand in doorway, fire. End turn.

These guys are also making Jagged Alliance Flashback.

Parakeetman

Thanks for the answers guys. Ive seen the board game a long time ago and always though it was cool. Played some of the 3DO version back when that came out. Saw this again, but the price was a bit of a turnoff for me.

As much as Id like to pick this up for what the game looks like to me dont think I can justify this price unfortunately.

webrunner

When this game was announced it was during the THQ thing but before the announcement that THQ was going under. Which was odd, because at the time THQ had an exclusivity deal for WH40k and this game was announced despite no ties to THQ.

Anyone know what the deal was there? was the exclusivity deal quietly removed behind the scenes in the leadup to the THQpalypse or does the WH40k licence not include Space Hulk?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
When this game was announced it was during the THQ thing but before the announcement that THQ was going under. Which was odd, because at the time THQ had an exclusivity deal for WH40k and this game was announced despite no ties to THQ.

Anyone know what the deal was there? was the exclusivity deal quietly removed behind the scenes in the leadup to the THQpalypse or does the WH40k licence not include Space Hulk?

Games Workshop doesn't sign exclusive deals with anyone. They license their properties but retain rights to not only license to others but yank the license back if they don't like what you're doing with it.

BibiMaghoo

Coming out in an hour, strongly considering trying this out. How does the multiplayer work?

Turn based online coop and competitive online, and local hotseat for both as well. Also cross platform play.

It's a nice setup, that makes playing it instead of the board game actually viable.

I've never played Space Hulk. As a strategy game, is it actually very deep?

I know it's based on a board game, so after seeing the tight corridoors....I was thinking it was very basic / simplistic.

Das-J

Law of the West
Preordered. From the RPS video it looks to be 1:1 with the board game with a couple of exceptions.
Hmm... this might need a purchase if that's the case. Absolutely LOVED making layouts for this game back in the day!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
That looks surprisingly too much like Warhammer Quest.

Hopefully it's a deeper experience than WQ, which while fine for a iOS game.. is pretty darn simple.

Karak

I've never played Space Hulk. As a strategy game, is it actually very deep?

I know it's based on a board game, so after seeing the tight corridors....I was thinking it was very basic / simplistic.

It is simplistic in how it looks for sure. However it is a game of strategy and attrition. Like someone else said its still in hall of fame lists in the top 10/ top 100 lists.

So I'm installing this now, and I played a very limited amount of real Space Hulk (board game) and some of the early PC game and I can certainly understand why this should work as a video game, but permit me to rant about Games Workshop a bit.

Games Workshop has some of the most interesting IPs. Great art style, great settings, great themes. And many of those IPs have been converted into video game form with varying degrees of faith to the original tabletop games and varying degrees of quality. Warhammer has had MMOs, strategy, and that MOBA-esque game. The 40k franchise has had a couple great Dawn of War games, a very good Space Marine game, a not-so good Firewarrior. They had an Epic 40k game, a few older 40k turnbased strategy games, two Blood Bowl games, hell there was even an attempt at a Gorkamorka game (car combat, slated for PC and Dreamcast but never released). And now, a return to Space Hulk.

What I'm getting at here is that Games Workshop has spread its properties deep into the world of video games. So why, on God's Green Earth, has there never been a fucking Necromunda game? Its no more niche than Blood Bowl or Space Hulk and is probably more marketable than Warhammer Fantasy. And the gameplay has already been done. Look at new XCOM game (not the original, totally different rulesets). The new XCOM basically cribbed all its combat mechanics straight out of Necromunda. How movement is handled, how cover is handled, the idea of downed versus dead, overwatch/reaction fire, morale, etc. Firaxis basically made a Necromunda game, put an XCOM skin on it then dumbed it down slightly (squad sizes, lack of any real melee combat, etc). The fact that no one has made a Necromunda game is one of gaming's greatest tragedies.

Alright, rant over. Hopefully Space Hulk is fun.

BibiMaghoo

So I'm installing this now, and I played a very limited amount of real Space Hulk (board game) and some of the early PC game and I can certainly understand why this should work as a video game, but permit me to rant about Games Workshop a bit.

Games Workshop has some of the most interesting IPs. Great art style, great settings, great themes. And many of those IPs have been converted into video game form with varying degrees of faith to the original tabletop games and varying degrees of quality. Warhammer has had MMOs, strategy, and that MOBA-esque game. The 40k franchise has had a couple great Dawn of War games, a very good Space Marine game, a not-so good Firewarrior. They had an Epic 40k game, a few older 40k turnbased strategy games, two Blood Bowl games, hell there was even an attempt at a Gorkamorka game (car combat, slated for PC and Dreamcast but never released). And now, a return to Space Hulk.

What I'm getting at here is that Games Workshop has spread its properties deep into the world of video games. So why, on God's Green Earth, has there never been a fucking Necromunda game? Its no more niche than Blood Bowl or Space Hulk and is probably more marketable than Warhammer Fantasy. And the gameplay has already been done. Look at new XCOM game (not the original, totally different rulesets). The new XCOM basically cribbed all its combat mechanics straight out of Necromunda. How movement is handled, how cover is handled, the idea of downed versus dead, overwatch/reaction fire, morale, etc. Firaxis basically made a Necromunda game, put an XCOM skin on it then dumbed it down slightly (squad sizes, lack of any real melee combat, etc). The fact that no one has made a Necromunda game is one of gaming's greatest tragedies.

Alright, rant over. Hopefully Space Hulk is fun.

I don't think this is true. Both Blood Bowl and Space Hulk have had multiple editions of the board game, SH the most recently. Necromunda was a one time run, that was spun off from other things they were trying to do with skirmishes. I would put Necromunda in the same basket as Gorkamorka in terms of popularity, making it more niche than Space Hulk and Blood Bowl.

Got to play about 10 minutes of the tutorial during my lunch break. Voice work is great, love the heavy use of Space Marine rhetoric. Controls work well except the choose direction on movement initially threw me off. I instinctively click to go to a location then set facing, which causes the game to just use your current facing. Have to hold left click when selecting where you want to move, then drag your facing.
Terminators mow down anything in front of them, move slow, turn slow, genestealers move really fast.

Graphics were decent, but not amazing.

Parakeetman

After holding out the urge to do an impulse buy and having read up a bit more. Really do think that unfortunately will be waiting for this to drop in price before picking up.

Since I dont really do MP either, that takes out about half of the game too and for the current price dont think that measures up as a good idea. Regardless of having the cash or not.

Still though nice to see a classic be remade and will be on the lookout for the impressions here and general reviews everywhere else! *thread subbed :D

Jinaar

Had to EXIT and Restart STEAM in order to get it downloading. Should be playing it when I get home in a few hours. Hopefully it be good, eh.

webrunner

Games Workshop doesn't sign exclusive deals with anyone. They license their properties but retain rights to not only license to others but yank the license back if they don't like what you're doing with it.

From THQ's press release in 2011:
AGOURA HILLS, Calif. & NOTTINGHAM, United Kingdom, Apr 26, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- THQ (NASDAQ:THQI) and Games Workshop (LSE:GAW.L) today announced a multi-year extension to their successful video game license agreement, extending THQ's current exclusive rights to publish video games based on the popular Warhammer(R) 40,000(R) universe through titles across all relevant platforms including core, social and mobile rights.

Here's the link: http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1554246&highlight

popo

why, on God's Green Earth, has there never been a fucking Necromunda game? .

They don't make video game, just licence them. I can only assume nobody has approached them wanting to make a necromunda game. When 40k and warhammer were sewn up in exclusive deals I imagine that is why available properties like blood bowl were licenced.

It's at the top of my wishlist until I get paid. I have a friend with the board game but we have yet to actually yet to play it.

Could do with more impressions though, TB will have a video soon I guess.

Ledsen

You are the Emperor's chosen. You are Terminators. You can take on anything... but they are many. And they are fast. You can hear them running down the narrow metal corridors of the abandoned ship. The Space Hulk. Clank. Clank. Clank. Closer and closer. They are behind you now. You try to to turn around. Your armor hisses and strains as the joints struggle to move. It weighs more than a ton, and that is what saves you. The Genestealer is on your back, screeching and scratching with it's razor blade claws. In the corner of your eye, the reflection of a hundred teeth snapping. But you don't fall. You turn around, pressing your storm bolter to the creatures gut. Trigger. Kickback. It falls to the floor in a lifeless heap of purple and black. Behind it... behind it are a thousand, ten thousand of its brethren. But you will not stand alone. As you check your bolter and turn your eyes to the dark, glistening corridor ahead, you can hear them forming up around you.

"Brothers. We are the fist of the Emperor. We stand together. And today, we die together."

Play this game you guys.

Top Bottom