• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Hulk |OT| For the Emperor!

Ledsen

I've played it a lot. its probably my favorite board game ever. :/
Oh :/

Rab's review is a bit strange though. I can't reconcile his specific criticisms with his extremely negative general opinion. The points he makes don't seem like such a big deal (again, bugs notwithstanding), certainly not big enough to make him detest the game to such a degree. Did he go in with very high/very specific expectations? Could be that stuff I don't care about (like hot seat multi) is a dealbreaker for him, I guess.

zhorkat

Oh :/

Rab's review is a bit strange though. I can't reconcile his specific criticisms with his extremely negative general opinion. The points he makes don't seem like such a big deal (again, bugs notwithstanding), certainly not big enough to make him detest the game to such a degree. Did he go in with very high/very specific expectations? Could be that stuff I don't care about (like hot seat multi) is a dealbreaker for him, I guess.

He went in expecting a video game adaptation of a board game. What he saw was a buggy game that at times poorly implemented the original game's rules and had lost aspects of the original game that he found fun.

Taffer

Not sure why you're singling out Relic, BTW. I consume a lot of Black Library audio and anything remotely mysterious leans on the Chaos crutch too, except for
Regia Occulta
, which is refreshing because it dupes you. It's a QC problem Games Workshop has with the IP.

Only because theirs are the only 40K games I've played since 90s Space Crusade & Space Hulk, I was just referring to what I know for sure goes along that path instead of saying every GW game.
I really want a Necromunda game now, thanks thread.

I really want a Necromunda game now, thanks thread.

It was a long, long time ago but i remember seeing some early footage from a necromunda game. Only showed van saar and delaque. Weirdly it was the van saar doing the sneaking. Also, they made each gang look kind of odd to further distinguish them, so the van saar were a bit bat-like with pointy ears. Probably just as well it didn't get further into production as it really didn't look promising.

Titireasca

Neo Member
Ok so online mode has NO hourglass so that people can't take forever on their turns? No timer???

No and yes. There's no time limit in online multiplayer, so you can take as much time as you want to do your stuff:)

Ledsen

He says

-Slow as molasses
-buggy
-basic stuff like doors hard to see badly done
-bad implementation of hotseat mode
-Online mode doesn't feel a good idea for the game
-No tension

I adress those points on the previous page. I disagree with some (tension is superb imo) bit others I just don't care about like he does. I can see how it could be a disappointment to him, but to me it's a great game and I hope people don't dismiss it solely based on his review.

Yes it's very slow. It was probably a deliberate decision too. Someone on the dev team or Games Workshop probably put their foot down and said "we're not gonna let people skip the marine movement animations because of the atmosphere/whatever". Welp that's what happens.

Mission 6 (alarm call) is bugged apparently.

Also bugs, lots of bugs. I remember rolling 5-6 CP on hard, even though it's described as 4 CP max. And did anyone test out the 'back' button on the main menus? lol

This seems more like a $10 game not a $30 one.

Daigoro

No and yes. There's no time limit in online multiplayer, so you can take as much time as you want to do your stuff:)
which completely breaks multiplayer. Space Hulk is all about efficient use of action points under duress. that's the game.

oh I forgot, and there is an undo button. mother of god.

Titireasca

Neo Member
which completely breaks multiplayer. Space Hulk is all about efficient use of action points under duress. that's the game.

oh I forgot, and there is an undo button. mother of god.

Some people will have a problem with that, but some won't. I actually played with one of my friends and it took us about 1 hour for just a few turns, but we enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I won't have the time to actually finish a multiplayer game.

I played through the three tutorial missions and it seems competent. I guess I can agree with him on the slow animations complaint but it really only is a problem on the last move of the turn since the rest of the moves can be done simultaneously.

I just get the impression that he has put Space Hulk on a pedestal and I don't think any game could have reached his lofty expectations.

I will say this, that first person camera makes me think I want another first person tactical shooter like those early Space Hulk PC games as well.

They're a very small iOS focused studio. It's a wonder they even released it on PC.

Considering other small indie studios release stuff on Vita, I doubt size is the problem, more like the publisher doesn't feel they will get a return on their investment.

I wonder, how well did Blood Bowl sell on PSP and DS?

Game is pretty good. I'm holding off playing more until controller support is enabled which is coming real soon. It's like something I'd would have played on the Amiga back in the day. Trying to manage your points, command points and knowing that facing is important.

The game was released before somethings got hashed out so I'll wait to see how much things change i.e. skippable or sped up walking animations but the core game is solid. There's a perception that games either have to be the greatest game ever or the worst game ever. Which is never the case. I know the $29.99 price point is steep and $15 would have made more sense but that may be a license issue.

As a video game, the single player is still slow, shallow, and pretty boring.

Must have been better as a multiplayer board game, right?

Daigoro

the boardgame is fast, brutal, and very tense.

hard as fuck for the marines unless you have a really good grasp of strategy for the game. if the genestealer player is any good, its a really tough fight.

there is definitely luck involved as well because of the dice rolls. that keeps it interesting.

Haunted

As someone who loves the 40k universe but has never played the boardgame, it does seem awfully limited. I know your usual videogame expectations don't really factor into this since it's a faithful adaptation (in content, if not spirit), but still.

One enemy type, one environment, a handful of models, not a lot to interact with... it just doesn't seem like there's a lot here compared to either other Warhammer games or other games in the genre.

rybrad

I thought I had a good grasp of this game from the videos I watched but holy shit I am awful. Looks like this may not have been a smart purchase for me but hey at least it was a good deal and I sold cards.

Do you have much experience with tactics games? It's pretty simple. Move slowly, face enemy spawn points, and save a few extra CP for enemy phase in case of weapon jams.

rybrad

Do you have much experience with tactics games? It's pretty simple. Move slowly, face enemy spawn points, and save a few extra CP for enemy phase in case of weapon jams.
Yea, I have an ok amount of experience with other tactics games. My main problem seems to be moving everyone in enough of a group to keep everything dead while still making forward progress. For example, on the second mission where you have to flame the control room, I feel like I get stuck in the intersection outside the room and keep getting overwhelmed to the point I can't move. The two AP to walk backwards makes it tough to cover the rear as well because I end up moving one space backwards and then use my last two points to overwatch.

I don't doubt that the issue is my inability to think within the game rules at the moment but the small margin for error makes learning from mistakes a bit more challenging.

Pepboy

Anyone try out the new version 1.2 released this morning? My major complaint (walking speed) has been addressed and the devs are extremely responsive at tackling bugs, missions, and graphic updates:

Changelog

I'm worried the initial bad press (and relatively high price) could sink this game, but now that they've added multiple walk speeds I can't wait to give it a try.

Daigoro

game is on sale on steam today for $20.

still not ready to pull the trigger myself. might wait for the holiday sale.

Daigoro

finally bought this game. got a 2 pack for $17 today. one for a friend.

we'll see how it fairs on this broken down laptop.

*and laptop shut off twice during the first mission. this battery is toast i think...

so far seems like SH though, just a bit underwhelming in its presentation. seems decent though.

A touch LTTP on this one, but I really dig it. Looking forward to getting some multiplayer in, but each level feels like a hearty puzzle that I don't mind repeating when things go awry.

Daigoro

finally got a cheapass PC that doesnt crash when trying to play a game and started putting some time into this game.

it fucking rules.

this game was unfairly bashed by RPS in that game review. this is the best video game version of SH by a long shot and its just about as faithful as can be. SH is a really great strategy game and this version nails it for me.

this game is on sale for like $6 right now. they just added a new online lobby and online co_op to the game. get the base game and definitely buy the Space Wolves dlc. they are badasses.

if you ever had an interest in this game, now is the time! online is rocking and the devs are doing a great job updating the game. plus it on sale for a ridiculously cheap price.

dont sleep on this game. it is a great adaptation of the Space Hulk board game (and that game is fantastic, this one too).

if you have it and want to fire up some async games with me. let me know. im using the email spacehulkamania at gmail dot com for my online games. feel free to friend me.

EDIT: about some of those things i was worried about above (months ago). i dont know if its been patched or if it was just bs, but there is a timer for Marines and there is NO undo button for online games, just single player. minimize those mistakes players, they will cost you!

this game is pretty much pure Space Hulk online. its a beautiful thing. it truly is.

Top Bottom