• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Hulk |OT| For the Emperor!

Shoogoo

These sites are not allowed on NeoGAF because their CD Keys are often not legit (either they were intended for emerging markets or they were bought using stolen credit cards). Valve can, and has in the past disabled games from players accounts purchased form illegitimate sources like this.

What?! Any source on this?

Man... :/

Uthred

These sites are not allowed on NeoGAF because their CD Keys are often not legit (either they were intended for emerging markets or they were bought using stolen credit cards). Valve can, and has in the past disabled games from players accounts purchased form illegitimate sources like this.

edit - Just FYI http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451542

"Websites reselling low-cost Russian/Asian keys from mass-bought $10 retail copies", would seem to imply that it should be proven or do we just assume all cd-key sites are illegal?

Moff

Argh, this is already out? I hope its bad or at lead mediocre, I cant afford to buy another game right now.

BibiMaghoo

Still no critic reviews, but the user reviews on meta are all 8+.

Apart from this one:

viktorous
The mongrels who created Company of Heroes 2 they do not know history and because distort the truth. In result, they teach their children to be deceitful hypocrites.
Who print such a history in US?

Informative, and to the point. Space Hulk is justifiably a '0' game.

Ledsen

Oh and if it wasn't apparent from my previous post... this game is awesome so far (played through the 3-mission tutorial campaign).

Oh and if it wasn't apparent from my previous post... this game is awesome so far (played through the 3-mission tutorial campaign).

You're killing me. I'm desperate to pull the trigger on this, but $30 seems very steep. My biggest concern is longevity.

I guess I'll wait for some compelling gameplay footage before I decide.

Karakand

Oi ya gits, this is one of them "spacey hulk" thingies.

Look at new XCOM game (not the original, totally different rulesets). The new XCOM basically cribbed all its combat mechanics straight out of Necromunda. How movement is handled, how cover is handled, the idea of downed versus dead, overwatch/reaction fire, morale, etc. Firaxis basically made a Necromunda game, put an XCOM skin on it then dumbed it down slightly (squad sizes, lack of any real melee combat, etc).

Mind blown...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but-

This game is also coming out on iOS in the near future. It's a 1:1 port, and I can't see it being nearly as expensive.

Seems like a better portable game.

Ledsen

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but-

This game is also coming out on iOS in the near future. It's a 1:1 port, and I can't see it being nearly as expensive.

Seems like a better portable game.

The graphics will have to be downgraded pretty heavily, and they contribute greatly to the atmosphere. So not 1:1.

I don't think this is true. Both Blood Bowl and Space Hulk have had multiple editions of the board game, SH the most recently. Necromunda was a one time run, that was spun off from other things they were trying to do with skirmishes. I would put Necromunda in the same basket as Gorkamorka in terms of popularity, making it more niche than Space Hulk and Blood Bowl.

Necromunda was not a one time run game. It had two editions plus several expansions, boxed gangs, and blister packs with single models. It is in no way in the same league as the generally poorly received and selling Gorkamorka.

The reason there is no Necromunda video game is probably because a) the mechanics would be difficult to adapt and b) the relatively mundane gangs don't exactly scream out "buy me!" as much as space marines do.

Besides, one could always play Necromunda through the Vassal40k boardgame emulator module.

Clott

Just lost a marine for such a stupid reason, I locked a door, but I guess that does not lock it, how do I disable one so the critters can't get through, I remember the tutorial telling me I could do that.

BibiMaghoo

Necromunda was not a one time run game. It had two editions plus several expansions, boxed gangs, and blister packs with single models. It is in no way in the same league as the generally poorly received and selling Gorkamorka.

The reason there is no Necromunda video game is probably because a) the mechanics would be difficult to adapt and b) the relatively mundane gangs don't exactly scream out "buy me!" as much as space marines do.

Besides, one could always play Necromunda through the Vassal40k boardgame emulator module.

I wasn't aware it had two editions. I have the rules for the first, but had never heard of a second. Boxed gangs and blisters where present for Blood Bowl also, in the form of teams and blisters, so not sure why you mention this specifically. I wouldn't like to speculate as to why no game, but I certainly think Blood Bowl and Space Hulk are less niche and more well known.

Taffer

Is there a story campaign in this (bonus points if it's not Relic's standard-issue 'something is stirring up this swarm of bads, oshit it was Chaos all along') ? What about mods / custom colour schemes, I'm bored of Blood Angels, everyone always goes straight for Blood Angels.
These aren't vital questions, I will inevitably get it because SPACE HULK.

Uthred

Is there a story campaign in this (bonus points if it's not Relic's standard-issue 'something is stirring up this swarm of bads, oshit it was Chaos all along') ? What about mods / custom colour schemes, I'm bored of Blood Angels, everyone always goes straight for Blood Angels.

Its Blood Angels because it was Blood Angels in the original boardgame. Skins for other chapters (even specific terminators for unique chapter loadouts) would be nice.

There was never a second edition of Necromunda. There was an expansion and some information published in White Dwarf, but there was only ever the single release.

I own all the material ever released for it, including all the gangs!

Same with Space Hulk :)

I actually still have a sealed copy of 3rd edition! It's my favorite board game of all time. It's what got me into the hobby of 40k and also board games. I even have the card game and all of it's expansions, which is quite good btw.

I'll buy it Day 1 on ios.

Karak

Yes there is a campaign though its just a set of overall connected missions really.

There is a novel called "Space Hulk" by Gav Thorpe that takes the connected scenerios from 3rd edition and turns them into a single story.

(I own that too!)

Uthred

There was never a second edition of Necromunda. There was an expansion and some information published in White Dwarf, but there was only ever the single release.

Necromunda was originally released as a boxset in 95, it was re-released as an updated hardbound book in 98, though the hardbound book wasnt officialy called a new edition in the way other GW games have editions. There was a proper second edition, Necromunda Underhive, which contained Outlanders released ~2001. Theres also the current free living rulebook version so theres arguably three editions (four if you want to count the hardback)

That was just the same material repackaged in book format. There were no new editions of the boxed game released, where as Space Hulk has been released 3 seperate times in board game form with each edition being entirely unique and self contained.

There are rumors that the next GW one shot board game release may well be a new Necromunda or Blood Bowl though (probably BB!). Necromunda is just wishful thinking IMO, but I would love it to be true.

Uthred

That was just the same material repackaged in book format. There were no new editions of the boxed game released, where as Space Hulk has been released 3 seperate times in board game form with each edition being entirely unique and self contained.

There are rumors that the next GW one shot board game release may well be a new Necromunda or Blood Bowl though (probably BB!). Necromunda is just wishful thinking IMO, but I would love it to be true.

There were rules differences between all released versions of Necromunda. GW themselves referred to Underhive as a second edition of Necromunda and theyre probably in a position to know. About as many differences as there are between the editions of Space Hulk in fact, which most certainly arent "entirely unique" with 2nd and 3rd edition having only a few rules changes while retaining the same basic concept and approach.

Daigoro

hey GW geeks, get a room.

oh shit, I need to figure out a way to play this game.

not looking forward to attempting to get this running on my shitty laptop with broken keyboard though. it would be bought already if I had a decent pc to run it on... crap.

I love space hulk so much.

The Necromunda Sourcebook(s) are nothing like the Space Hulk releases. It's not even comparable. The sourcebook is a collection of previously released material from multiple sources. No minis, no terrain, no box, no rulers or templates, nothing but a book!

It's like calling the Blood Bowl All Stars book or Compendium new editions. They simply contain new rules and clarifications to the existing edition. The Underhive is to be used with the only version on Necromunda ever released, or people that want to create the game from scrap, which is an interesting project to say the least.

I hope this computer version proves popular and the game can get skins for new chapters as well as new tile sets. Despite the name, not all Space Hulk adventures happen in space!

derExperte

Sigh.. Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit my post.

That's 17€ down the drain, oh well..

There's a good chance you're still safe, only sometimes keys get revoked. But it's a risk to buy from unofficial sources.

"Websites reselling low-cost Russian/Asian keys from mass-bought $10 retail copies", would seem to imply that it should be proven or do we just assume all cd-key sites are illegal?

It's safer to assume everything that's not one of the known legit sites like Greenmangaming, Getgamesgo, Nuuvem or of course big ones like Amazon that get linked here frequently is a no-no. If unsure ask in the Steam thread. Especially if the price is suspiciously low and the site looks and is named like the linked one.

The Necromunda Sourcebook(s) are nothing like the Space Hulk releases. It's not even comparable. The sourcebook is a collection of previously released material from multiple sources. No minis, no terrain, no box, no rulers or templates, nothing but a book!

It's like calling the Blood Bowl All Stars book or Compendium new editions. They simply contain new rules and clarifications to the existing edition. The Underhive is to be used with the only version on Necromunda ever released, or people that want to create the game from scrap, which is an interesting project to say the least.

I hope this computer version proves popular and the game can get skins for new chapters as well as new tile sets. Despite the name, not all Space Hulk adventures happen in space!

Are the Dungeons and Dragons books referred to as "editions?" Last time I checked, they are also just books.

Karakand

Necromunda |OT| itt

Other chapters are a possibility depending on how successful it is IIRC from a RPS interview. They definitely want to do other chapters.

Not sure why you're singling out Relic, BTW. I consume a lot of Black Library audio and anything remotely mysterious leans on the Chaos crutch too, except for
Regia Occulta
, which is refreshing because it dupes you. It's a QC problem Games Workshop has with the IP.

Karak

My mini review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkik6l7LTeI

If you don't like my reviews here are the bits-

Excellent rendition of the boardgame
Enjoyable
Difficult

Worth the price IF you come to grips with the older rules style for particular aspects of the game like movement and so forth. With a bit of patience pretty much anyone could enjoy it.
Ran really well on low end computer as well.

Danneee

I remember playing the very first SH game (the top down one) for PC on my dads red monochrome (think Virtual Boy) laptop and liking it. If this runs well on my Mac Air I'll probably buy it.

Daigoro

It's not often that Games-Workshop release a direct adaptation of one of their tabletop games so when it does happen it's sort of a big deal :).

I'm a huge GW fan and own many many hundreds of dollars worth of their products, and most of the video games.

I probably own more space hulk table top shit than anyone in this thread by a long shot.

I'm talking about this shit:

Necromunda |OT| itt

I love Necromunda too, but why not talk about all this shit in the GW thread in ot?

SPACE HULK motherfuckers.

Ledsen

My take on his criticisms:

1. It's slow - I don't care, it actually adds to the tension IMO. It's clearly a very deliberate design decision. Also, you can move multiple Teminators simultaneously which helps a lot.
2. You will miss doors - I don't really understand this? I use the strategic view a lot so I see everything clearly there. The camera isn't optimal though, that's true.
3. It's buggy - True, this should hopefully be fixed with patches
4. Hotseat mode sucks - I won't use it
5. Multiplayer boring with randoms - well, no shit!
6. The presentation isn't dramatic enough - sure, I guess.

The only thing I really agree with as a big negative is the buggyness. A few others seem to be a consequence of him playing the board game so much.

Ledsen

good damn it. sounds like this guy knows his Hulk too...

that's depressing. I was seriously about to cancel my Payday pre order in and buy this today too (and single to play it on my shitty laptop).

shit.

If you haven't played the board game (like me) you won't have the same problems he has with it. Buggyness aside, it's a great game and I'm really happy with my purchase. A warning though, i haven't played enough to encounter any major bugs, so I don't know how bad it is.

Daigoro

If you haven't played the board game (like me) you won't have the same problems he has with it. Buggyness aside, it's a great game and I'm really happy with my purchase.
I've played it a lot. its probably my favorite board game ever. :/

Top Bottom