• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

xabre

Banned
So no one tried Celestia? Light years ahead of google earth's sky feature.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/download.html

Here's some pics I got from it -

6ugtbwp.jpg

6xadeae.jpg

Speaking of inflatable space craft:

GenesisI.jpeg

Bigelow Aerospace's Genesis I inflatable prototype in space.

NautilusModule2.jpg

Full-scale mock-up of their production model the BA 330.

Cssskywalker.jpg

What they eventually want to do with the BA 330.

RiZ III

What makes deep space pictures truly awesome is that they are literally images of the past. Thousands or millions of years in the past. How cool is that? Beyond words I say. Now if they could just warp a satellite millions of light years away from earth and then takes pictures of the earth.... ::head explodes::

Tr4nce

MrToughPants said:
I came across an image of the Carina Nebula in a picture book called "The Universe 365 Days"...

8,000 light years away the Carina Nebula is giving us the finger :lol

large_web.jpg

I'm sorry about this question, because I'm a real space fanatic too (everyone in this thread should download Stellarium right now), but is that a hand giving us the middle finger on the left side of the pic?

Hootie

Windu said:
Whoa indeed. What is that?

I found it on NASA's website, heres a description:

NASA said:
This is a composite image of N49, the brightest supernova remnant in optical light in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The Chandra X-ray image (blue) shows million-degree gas in the center. Much cooler gas at the outer parts of the remnant is seen in the infrared image from Spitzer (red). While astronomers expected that dust particles were generating most of the infrared emission, the study of this object indicates that much of the infrared is instead generated in heated gas.

The unique filamentary structure seen in the optical image by Hubble (white and yellow) has long set N49 apart from other well understood supernova remnants, as most supernova remnants appear roughly circular in visible light. Recent mapping of molecular clouds suggests that this supernova remnant is expanding into a denser region to the southeast, which would cause its asymmetrical appearance. This idea is confirmed by the Chandra data. Although X-rays reveal a round shell of emission, the X-rays also show brightening in the southeast, confirming the idea of colliding material in that area.

Image credit: NASA/CXC/STScI/JPL-Caltech/UIUC/Univ. of Minn.

Tr4nce

michaeld said:

This picture is so important to me, for some reason. I could gaze for hours at the stars or look for hours even weeks non-stop at this picture, but I will never be able to understand it. I don't know how to explain it, I just can not comprehend. All the people you know, all the people you have ever heard of live on that blue planet in this picture. I just cab't understand.

Sometimes when I lie in bed, I picture myself lying in bed from above and them zoom out to some sort of space view and the only thing I can think of is how small we are in all that space, all that universe. Again, I can never fathom it. All of this is so awesome. We can NOT be alone, it's just against all odds. There MUST be something out there.

Hootie

Tr4nce said:
This picture is so important to me, for some reason. I could gaze for hours at the stars or look for hours even weeks non-stop at this picture, but I will never be able to understand it. I don't know how to explain it, I just can not comprehend. All the people you know, all the people you have ever heard of live on that blue planet in this picture. I just cab't understand.

Sometimes when I lie in bed, I picture myself lying in bed from above and them zoom out to some sort of space view and the only thing I can think of is how small we are in all that space, all that universe. Again, I can never fathom it. All of this is so awesome. We can NOT be alone, it's just against all odds. There MUST be something out there.

Well said my friend, and yes, the idea that we're alone in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE? That's just absurd and ignorant. "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence". Solar systems, stars, galaxies; they are all just so far away that the chances of us ever meeting an intelligent alien species is one in a trillion, but that in no way means they are not out there, possibly looking for us just as we are looking for them.

That would be so strange to meet a completely alien species...imagine the cultural differences, how much different they'd likely look...and how hostile they are. I'm banking on that if we ever do by some chance come in contact that it'll be like Mass Effect and we'll just integrate ourselves into the others. :lol

Hootie

I've actually had that "Deep Space" photo as my desktop since last summer, it's really awesome:

DesktopJan08.jpg

Sometimes I just end up staring at it for long periods of time, just amazed and awe-struck.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Windu said:

It's mean, but I love this photo because while they were smart enough to send a man to the moon, no one thought planting a flag 20 from the LEM's accent engine was a bad idea and the flag was blown over when they launched.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
DrForester said:
It's mean, but I love this photo because while they were smart enough to send a man to the moon, no one thought planting a flag 20 from the LEM's accent engine was a bad idea and the flag was blown over when they launched.
:lol I wonder if they got it right all the other times.

DrForester said:

Was it actually blown over? From the video I've seen it was blasted around, but managed to stay upright.
Weird that I would care, but it its rather symbolic.

Alfarif said:
Say VY Canis Majoris exploded... how long would it take until we felt the affects and Earth was destroyed? or would Earth ever be destroyed by something exploding that far away?

At that distance, me passing gas would have a greater impact on you.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
professor_t said:
At that distance, me passing gas would have a greater impact on you.

Please keep your gas to yourself then.

I'm still lurking in here... it's on my work browser, my home browser, and if I had a cellphone, it'd be the home page on that. LOL

Fuzzery

Actually statistics are hugely in favor of life existing out there. Chance are, in the billions of trillions of star systems that exist out there, and over the billions of years that the universe has existed, there are planetary conditions which are/or have been nearly identical to pre-life earth's. This isn't even counting the possibility of other forms of life, or our kind of "life" arising under different conditions.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Weren't there some bacterium found on Mars that weren't carbon-based? Or am I confusing that with some fiction book I read?

Fuzzery

Alfarif said:
Weren't there some bacterium found on Mars that weren't carbon-based? Or am I confusing that with some fiction book I read?
Nope. There's been much speculation, however, and circumstantial evidence seems to suggest it. But I mean, if life occured on GODDAMN MARS, just 1 planet away from us, imagine what's happened out there in the rest of the galaxy.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Fuzzery said:
Nope. There's been much speculation, however, and circumstantial evidence seems to suggest it. But I mean, if life occured on GODDAMN MARS, just 1 planet away from us, imagine what's happened out there in the rest of the galaxy.
Yeah. When it comes to life in other galaxies, they try to think of the odds of another planet being the exact distance from the sun that earth is somewhere out there. But if there is life on mars, then that widens the possibilities.

VaLiancY

Man, I'm sleeping good today. All of these images floating in my head, I can't have nothing to spoil (creep Saturn sound gtfo) it cept' I won't be able to see it with my own eyes. But its good enough I got sight to see it in these awesome pictures with some incredible insight and information. May this thread live on strong.

Shiver

This may be of interest to some people in this thread.

Burt Rutan: Entrepreneurs are the future of space flight

"In this passionate talk, legendary spacecraft designer Burt Rutan lambastes the US government-funded space program for stagnating: "Houston, we have a problem. We're entering a second generation of no progress." He calls for entrepreneurs to lead the next wave of space exploration, funding new crafts, new (manned) missions, and entirely new approaches to space exploration."

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/4

Sorry but I thought Sunshine was pretty bad. Don't go into it expecting it to be as good as 28 days later, but its not even close. There are much better sci-fi movies to spend your time on.

Stridone

Banned
Subarushian said:
Sorry but I thought Sunshine was pretty bad. Don't go into it expecting it to be as good as 28 days later, but its not even close. There are much better sci-fi movies to spend your time on.

I found it quite overwhelming myself. It's really a "hate it or love it" movie, though.

Stridone said:
I found it quite overwhelming myself. It's really a "hate it or love it" movie, though.

I suppose I can see that.

For me though the weird Sun fetishes (why would someone like that be chosen for the most important crew in human history?), and then the devolving into an Event Horizon-style horror film just made me roll my eyes.

A decent movie, but IMO no where near one of the "greats" of sci-fi.

Blablurn

VaLiancY said:
Man, I'm sleeping good today. All of these images floating in my head, I can't have nothing to spoil (creep Saturn sound gtfo) it cept' I won't be able to see it with my own eyes. But its good enough I got sight to see it in these awesome pictures with some incredible insight and information. May this thread live on strong.

saturn39-1.jpg

SILENTO WALL!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Apologies if any of these have been posted:

600px-NGC7293_%282004%29.jpg

Helix Nebula

spacepic.jpg

Helix Nebula (infrared)

658px-Vela_skyfactory_big.jpg

Vela Supernova Remnant

800px-Eta_Carinae_Nebula_1.jpg

Carina Nebula (can anyone else see the balrog just to the upper right of the centre?)

aurora_img_2005254.jpg

Aurora Australis

Sallokin

Olympus Mons - Tallest mountain/volcano in the Solar System

mons4e.jpg

Valles Marineris

marshorizon.jpg

Not sure if either of those are real, but they really are nice looking IMO.

Top Bottom