• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - Starz series produced by Sam Raimi - Jan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

bionic77 said:
Please, lets not act like this show is meant to be taken seriously. Not that I am complaining. There is a certain morbid fascination with the rape, slavery, and brutality of the show, but I can't pretend I watch it for the character development or acting.

Good for you, but I wouldn't be watching it if it didn't have decent-to-good character development and acting. I don't care about the sex scenes beyond a nice bonus of eye candy.

Yeah, there's still some ridiculous stuff here and there, but it's turned into an extremely solid show. You can keep telling us how we're wrong, though.

harSon

Banned
Didn't really care for this last episode of it, parts of it were entertaining and well executed, but I think they went a bit to far with the sex angle... although Ilithyia's scene at the end of the episode was ridiculously hot.

bionic77

Clevinger said:
Good for you, but I wouldn't be watching it if it didn't have decent-to-good character development and acting. I don't care about the sex scenes beyond a nice bonus of eye candy.

Yeah, there's still some ridiculous stuff here and there, but it's turned into an extremely solid show. You can keep telling us how we're wrong, though.
If someone else enjoys the show and thinks it is the greatest thing ever then good for them. I was just stating my opinion.

I am a huge fan of Lost and think it is the greatest network television show ever, but plenty of people think it is poorly conceived garbage as well.

Maybe we can't agree on the acting, but every straight man has to agree that this show has the finest selection of tittys on display ever.

Yea same here. I like the gratuitous sex and nudity more for the fact that they aren't holding anything back. It is something that hasn't been done before to this extent and I welcome it. I hate censorship.

And like said, I would have been done with the show if I didn't care for the story or the characters. The sex and nudity gets old after a while to the point where you don't even pay attention to it.

OmniGamer

Plywood said:
Skipped through the last couple pages and see no one's made any gif's on the show. So from episode 8, here's one I made, Asher, when
Spartacus and Crixus argued.

I thought of it as another addition to NeoGAF's wonderful popcorn.gif collection immediately when first seeing that scene :lol

Ripclawe said:
Trying to remember if the blond ever showed the psycho tendencies before in the series because she just snapped

I think the several references to class structure, and how "women of note" like her "friends" like to take pleasure in the humiliation of their "friends", pretty much made her feel like the bottom of the top, so to speak...then when Lucretia was spending time with Licinia, she felt usurped and jealous. She also seemed particularly into the brutality of the gladiator fights(not just sexual lust, but bloodlust as well)...and took joy in cutting Spartacus' chest to add a few drops of his blood to the other woman's wine(granted she hated him anyway). I think the combination of feeling "violated"(since the sex she just had was unknowingly with someone she hated), then getting physically attacked by him, being both physically and emotionally exposed, and then being laughed at by someone she really didn't care for but tolerated due to the social politics of "proper Roman women", pushed her over the edge.

That said, GODDAMN! She got 2 good pumps in her from a gladiator and turned into one herself...in the words of GOWIII, BRUTAL KILL!!!

mysticwhip said:
They were wearing masks and golden makeup on their skin so she couldn't have known.

Still stuck out poorly to me...such a "well, it's TV, I just have to roll with it" moment for me, because Spartacus and Crixus have very different builds...Spartacus is taller...Crixus is shorter and beefier...and by this time she's seen both men enough times, up close, and over a long enough time span to have known that he wasn't Crixus, especially since she was so infatuated with him.

Anywho, loved the episode...also loved with Naevia put Crixus in his place...he means well(with her) but he can be such a meathead :lol

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Just finished all 9 episodes. Hot damn! This show is awesome. I liked it for it's over the top cheese at first, but now I genuinely enjoy it for it's quality. I never imagined I would actually give a damn about more than maybe two characters after watching the first few eps, or actually being genuinely impressed by the fight scenes, or for the show to give rise to actual emotions from me. I was dead wrong. Everything after episode 2 has been quality TV. And it just get's better.

I don't think I've ever see a show on TV this raw before either. The shit that went down in episodes 4 and 9 were god damn brutal! I mean fuck man... but I loved every second of it.

It's good to see a series do the opposite of most other shows, which is to get better rather than worse over time. By Jupiter's cock, I am fucking hooked!

giga

Alright what the fuck, I just finished episode 6 where
the master kills Spartacus' wife and "reunites" them

Someone please tell me he gets revenge for that.

RS4- said:
Mira or whatever slave girls name is is gorgeous, kind of reminds me of Munn.

Ridiculous episode. So good!
Yes!! I wholeheartedly agree! She was freakin fire! Great body too. She's gonna be on the next few episodes too.

So I became obsessed after watching the episode and I looked her up and found out she is Katrina Law. She was also in Chuck episode 2.15 (Chuck vs the Beefcake) as
the Fulcrum agent with the baby stroller in the elevator, who ends up torturing Chuck, Sarah and the MI6 agent.

She is of Taiwanese, German and Italian descent, which would explain her unique looks and her resemblance to Olivia Munn, who is of similar descent. They need to introduce Olivia as her slave sister STAT!

985boi

Just finished episode 10.

Yeah that slave girl does look similar to Olivia Munn

that kid...what a fucking lucky bastard! man everybody got fucked one way or another in this episode=(.

hermit7

That was such a great episode. Shit, I feel bad for Varrow
(SP?)
I really liked him as a character. We will see what happens within the next remaining episodes, but hopefully Ilythia gets whats coming to her.

She is so hot

jakncoke

Banned
lol burned face is burnt

Edit: How long they plan on keeping this show, they seem to be killing off characters at rapid rate

Edit2: So Spartacus and that chick is defiantly going to start up a thing here soon

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
God damn...

GOD DAMN!

I love this show so much. I was staring at the screen in shock as the kid gave the thumbs down. I knew it was going to happen, but I didn't want it to happen...

...I care about these characters damnit!

FUUUUUUUUU

squicken

Fucking bitch I HATE that bitch. I saw it coming the second she seduced the kid, but damn, it sucked when it happened. I haven't been this upset by a TV character's death in awhile. Maybe since Jack Bauer killed
Ryan Chappelle

I'm pretty sure we'll now see the plotting of the slave revolt. Spartacus went from playing games with Baitiutis (sp?) to learning the true place of slaves in the world.

Meesh

Sam Raimi fan here, nice to see Xena- I mean Lucy back...My only issue really is the nudity, it's brazen and almost distasteful. True Blood (yes even considering Jason's one nighters) felt more palatable for some reason...I dunno, it could be there was just more sex and nudity in Spartacus?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
squicken said:
Fucking bitch I HATE that bitch. I saw it coming the second she seduced the kid, but damn, it sucked when it happened. I haven't been this upset by a TV character's death in awhile. Maybe since Jack Bauer killed
Ryan Chappelle

I'm pretty sure we'll now see the plotting of the slave revolt. Spartacus went from playing games with Baitiutis (sp?) to learning the true place of slaves in the world.
I love her character. So despicable.

squicken

Oh definitely. I love to hate her. Women can make the best villains. Nurse Ratchet is probably my most hated fictional character.

jagowar

Yeah episode 10 was amazing.... crazy how it all went down.

I really hope netflix hurries up and gets a deal done so we can see starz content like this in HD.

wow what an episode.

So sad what happened. So much hate towards Ilythia and the kid. Hope they both get whats coming to them.

:( I liked their friendship.

Monocle

Episode 10 was one of the best yet. So many twists, so much intrigue.

Based on the early scenes I expected Ilythia to become unhinged by the end of the episode, yet she managed to gather herself and pull off another crafty piece of social maneuvering. I love how her unassuming character turned into one of the most dangerous. Ilythia's mental state may still prove to be fragile; I know this show well enough not to discount foreboding events like her grisly hallucinations. Or so I'd like to think. Somehow I missed the foreshadowing in Varro's line about meeting his death in the arena, so I was truly surprised when the kid called for him to replace Crixus as Spartacus's opponent. In fact, I was so caught up in the silent interplay between the spectators, with their meaningful glances and dirty looks, that I didn't have an inkling that Varro was doomed until the kid started to extend his arm to give the thumb down. Who wants to bet Spartacus will ultimately kill the brat?

That leathery old bastard Solonius seems always to swoop in at just the right moment to inflict maximum humiliation on Batiatus. :lol I'm just short of certain that Batiatus would be best off cutting his losses and moving on. His rivalry with Solonius seems unlikely to end well for him.
Let's not kid ourselves, he's too proud and vindictive to give it up.
By the way, am I the only one who totally digs Solonius's wig? It's quite distinctive. Slightly reminds me of Ganondorf's hair in Twilight Princess.

As usual, I can't wait for the next episode. I hope Andy Whitfield is or will soon be fit to make season 2. Season 1 is over in just three weeks!

Sparatcus needs something personal to push him forward to what do what he does.

Varrow's senseless death is the personal thing that will make him more skeptical about how things are done, when he finds out about his wife: RAGE!!!!

Ducarmel

Really fucked up ending, it should reinforce the fact he is a slave.

gburgess10 said:
Sparatcus needs something personal to push him forward to what do what he does.
Well his wife came him to a dream and told him there is always a reason to live so I don't think Spartacus will lose any drive, it looks like he have that slave girl, she seems to like him.

I can't wait for Crixus and Spartacus to be on the same side. You know it's coming. The breaking point will probably be the slave girl that Crixus is banging is going to be caught and executed by Lucretia.

Then Spartacus and Crixus are gonna TAG TEAM THIS MUV AND CRACK SOME ROMAN SKULLS.

Man

Wow, so sad. Fuck the nobles! I demand vengeance. This series is ruthless.

Even more sad, we will probably have to wait until summer 2011 at the earliest for season 2. :/

Seth C

Evilink said:
Sam Raimi fan here, nice to see Xena- I mean Lucy back...My only issue really is the nudity, it's brazen and almost distasteful. True Blood (yes even considering Jason's one nighters) felt more palatable for some reason...I dunno, it could be there was just more sex and nudity in Spartacus?

Realistically speaking? That probably makes the show a more accurate depiction of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom