• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - Starz series produced by Sam Raimi - Jan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Pezking

Van Owen said:
Is that the good Hodgkins?

aufv9f.jpg

Hope he's gonna be alright.

First Dexter, now Spartacus...this truly sucks.

Holtz

Man, wtf is with the stars of my favorite shows and cancer. This sucks. Hopefully he can make a full recovery. :(

Stridone

Banned
Damn, shit sucks. :(

This is an awesome series though. The first episode was kinda meh and cheesy, but it really picked up!

jergrah

I watched the first episode on Netflix last night and I think Ill continue to watch it. Part of me thought, "this is such a blatant rip-off of 300 and I feel like Im stealing from Frank Miller by watching"....but another part of me was like, "a sword through the skull and blood splattering everywhere with a touch of nudity and Lucy Lawless isnt so bad" :)

Hey guys, is there a way to view this on the internet in Canada?

I went to the Starz website and every time I try to watch an episode it says "This video is no longer available".

Cold-Steel said:
Hey guys, is there a way to view this on the internet in Canada?

I went to the Starz website and every time I try to watch an episode it says "This video is no longer available".

Watch on Ninjavideo. Heck, you can download it from Ninja Video at 720p.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Next one is up on Netflix. ^_^

And cancer can make like a tree and fuck off.

Holy shit, if that wasn't fake. WOW....it was a ingrown arm

Clevinger

jergrah said:
I watched the first episode on Netflix last night and I think Ill continue to watch it. Part of me thought, "this is such a blatant rip-off of 300 and I feel like Im stealing from Frank Miller by watching"....but another part of me was like, "a sword through the skull and blood splattering everywhere with a touch of nudity and Lucy Lawless isnt so bad" :)

Just watch it. It took 300 (awful, cheesy tripe) and slowly molded it into a great show over the season.

hermit7

Just finished Ep. 9. God that was a great episode. I really like the direction they are taking the characters, because of the historical setting they can't really screw up Spartacus, but the intrigue with Lucretia, and Ilythia looks to become more intense in the next few episodes.
I am also interested in what Asher said regarding he is a villain but not for Solonius.

Hopefully the actor gets well. It is fortunate that they caught it early.

Docpan

I get a kick out of the fact that literally every single mother fucker on this show is bulked as fuck and ripped to shreds. Those guys back then didn't fucking have weights-- there's no way they would all look that fucking insane.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Docpan said:
I get a kick out of the fact that literally every single mother fucker on this show is bulked as fuck and ripped to shreds. Those guys back then didn't fucking have weights-- there's no way they would all look that fucking insane.

Oh and the fact they get jacked to shit eating gruel and a piece of bread ;)

squicken

Or that they all shaved their chests. But I doubt any of us want to see an accurate representation of what the ladies look like either.

I'm pretty sure the initial horse cock was CG. I can't believe they showed it chopped off and spurting blood.

Besides Lost, everything I watch is DVRd until the weekend. But I always watch Spartacus first. Love this show.

Docpan said:
Those Romans worked their ass off all day long on the field, building their own homes, rowing ships across the Mediterranean Sea, working at the blacksmith or training with weapons. No pansy machines or weights or protein shakes needed to get bulked back in those days.:lol

ArjanN

Docpan said:

Umm..they're weights.
I'm pretty sure weights were invented before fire and the wheel. They just called them rocks.

They wouldn't have had access to steroids though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Awesome awesome.

I loved watching
Spartacus chump Crixus in front of everyone so badly. Crixus has always been an ass to Spartacus and to watch him get his due was awesome.

...but then he saved his life which made me like him again...mother fu-

So funny to think that I actually am getting attached to these characters. When Illthylia had the knife and was going over to Spartacus, my thoughts were oh shit...she's gonna stab him...don't stab him!. Crazy.

Horse cock was awesome. I actually liked that dude. Shame he was a throw away character and his cock of all cocks was removed.

Keeps delivering.

Stridone

Banned
hermit7 said:
I am also interested in what Asher said regarding he is a villain but not for Solonius.

He pretty much killed Barca and tries to get rid of Crixus, so I'd call him a villain.

I wonder why Ilythia's recruit refused to tell them why he did it. I certainly wouldn't lose my cock over that.

GhaleonEB

RubxQub said:
Awesome awesome.

I loved watching
Spartacus chump Crixus in front of everyone so badly. Crixus has always been an ass to Spartacus and to watch him get his due was awesome.

...but then he saved his life which made me like him again...mother fu-

So funny to think that I actually am getting attached to these characters. When Illthylia had the knife and was going over to Spartacus, my thoughts were oh shit...she's gonna stab him...don't stab him!. Crazy.

Horse cock was awesome. I actually liked that dude. Shame he was a throw away character and his cock of all cocks was removed.

Keeps delivering.
Yup. I love how it keeps introducing characters, and I no idea how long they'll last.

The dude at the beginning talking about how Spartacus was going to lead them, and he'd try to follow his footsteps. I was thinking, hmm, this could be an important character. And he's dead 30 seconds later. :lol It reminded me of that guy going into the pits with Spartacus, "I will fuck them all!!!" *takes sledgehammer to the head*

I really dig the character arcs these guys are going through. Crixus' shame and redemption, Spartacus not giving fuck-all for his fellow Spartans and Crixus showing that even in their rivalry, he is the more honorable one. Still my favorite character; his performance is just fantastic as well.

And fucking OUCH at horse-cock dude. I thought he'd last longer. What a brutal final scene. o_0

hermit7

Stridone said:
He pretty much killed Barca and tries to get rid of Crixus, so I'd call him a villain.

I wonder why Ilythia's recruit refused to tell them why he did it. I certainly wouldn't lose my cock over that.

I get that the line indicated to me there was someone else that he was working for. I will be interested to see who it is in the future.

Ashhong

zero margin said:
I am so loving this show, the shot with the
dude's penis cut off
was on another level though. Dang.

episode 9 spoilers

man that sex scene with spartacus and illythia was pretty damn good. im going to assume it was the actual actors since they had masks on, but goddamn. and then when she smashed her friends head in i said "OH SHIT". so good

Monocle

Dammit cancer, you won't win this time.

squicken said:
Or that they all shaved their chests. But I doubt any of us want to see an accurate representation of what the ladies look like either.

I'm pretty sure the initial horse cock was CG. I can't believe they showed it chopped off and spurting blood.

Besides Lost, everything I watch is DVRd until the weekend. But I always watch Spartacus first. Love this show.
A bit too soon for untagged spoilers, I think. But yeah, this show continues to rock.

Monocle

icarus-daedelus said:
History is not a spoiler, ever.
To someone who isn't familiar with a certain portion of history, learning information relevant to the plot of a story that has some historical basis qualifies as being spoiled, because the novelty of the story is ruined—spoiled, if you will—by the new knowledge. Unless the definition of spoiler has magically changed since I last checked, that is.

But if you like the view from your high horse, I guess that's cool.

ArjanN

Monocle said:
To someone who isn't familiar with a certain portion of history, learning information relevant to the plot of a story that has some historical basis qualifies as being spoiled, because the novelty of the story is ruined—spoiled, if you will—by the new knowledge. Unless the definition of spoiler has magically changed since I last checked, that is.

But if you like the view from your high horse, I guess that's cool.

Well, that's only the case if the series/movie stays accurate to the actual history. Quite often they try to put their own spin on it.

squicken

Monocle said:
Dammit cancer, you won't win this time.

A bit too soon for untagged spoilers, I think. But yeah, this show continues to rock.

Once the show airs on TV, there's no need for spoilers. I am continually baffled by the confusion this causes the internet.

As for historical characters, I don't know. I know the general story of Spartacus, with Caeser , Pompey, Crassus and the Cilician pirates.

But the names and places of minor characters, I have no idea. I think with the history stuff it should be considered a spoiler unless it is very widely known.

Seriously, spoiler upcoming events/unreleased episodes/ending of real history/whatever. Don't be an ass.

If it just aired, yeah fair game in my book.

android

Theoretical Magician
ArjanN said:
Well, that's only the case if the series/movie stays accurate to the actual history. Quite often they try to put their own spin on it.
Which is why I gave a spoiler alert on the history lesson
...... Crixus will become Spartacus' ally and possible co-general in the slave revolt they will lead against the Roman army... which kind of ruins upcoming seasons etc..
but I guess history isnt a spoiler....

Monocle

ArjanN said:
Even a show that only partially adheres to history can have diminished impact if key details are revealed. I don't thing it's unreasonable to expect people to use basic courtesy in this type of thread by spoiler tagging anything that common sense suggests might taint the viewing experiences of others.

What's the downside? Three seconds spent typing the tags?

LocoMrPollock said:
Damn... I cringed at the end, even with the cheesy effects.. still.. damn.

I finally got some down time to check out this episode as I've been busy all week. WOW...just wow!

This episode actually gave me pause. The first time I've ever watched anything that made me go DAAAMN..then introspect for like 10 minutes. A co-worker of mine just couldn't take the sheer "raw uncut" direction of the series, he was done after the battle of Theocules. I think this episode would have given him a coronary.

With all the rampant blood, sex and extreme violence there's actually a well told story with awesome characters here. Upon first getting into the series I thought for sure I would hate it as I'm a HUGE fan of the original film with Kirk Douglas and Tony Randall, but I've got to give Starz props for putting together an awesome series and the ca hones to make it as raw and unapologetic as they have.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I love coming home from class...and finding a brand new episode up on Netflix.

This episode is holy fucking shit, too much shit goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom