• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

Haha, accidently made a living sacrifice to Kali, hanging off a ledge holding a maiden...

At least I got climbing gloves out of it!

Adam J.

Not really sure what I think about this game--it's like being stuck inside an ant farm from hell. Still have not cleared the mines, and I've been playing cautiously too. Love the graphics, music and gameplay, but I dunno..Not really sure I'd call the experience fun. It's definitely addictive, but not in a Super Meat Boy, "one more time, I'm getting this" sort of way (imo).

Got the shortcut built for the ice caves now. Ice caves feel so much easier than the jungle. Just have to take a little more time in plotting your jumps.

They feel like they require a fair bit more luck, though. Accidentally go to bottom right instead of the bottom left and you can easily find yourself totally cut off.

The third shortcut is going to be a real pain to unlock.

sophora

Finally got the shortcut to 4-1.

It is fun carrying the golden key from the mines all the way through to the end of the Ice caves. Luckily did not get a single dark level through it, though I had about 2 hearts around the end. Had about 10+ ropes and a compass so the Ice Caves weren't as terrible as the Jungle.

I'm loving hope rewarding it is just to pay attention to the world. Finding myself in a zen-like state when playing.

Perhaps I was spoiled by Fez, but the music on this game is really very shit. And I'm not digging the artwork either, at all.

That aside, it's addictive as hell and really didn't take long to get its hooks into me. Frustration that is always rewarded. Not quite in the realms of the magnificent XBLA greats like Fez, Limbo and Super Meat Boy for me, there's just something missing. But definitely in my top 10.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought this, it's just as awesome as i expected.
Fuck i had an amazing run but it all went to shit when i picked up that strange idol in the jungles while zombies were running around, a FUCKING GHOST came outta nowhere and blew my tiny body into nothing. Now i'm curious if that idol would have done anything special once i carried it into the exit.

Just bought this, it's just as awesome as i expected.
Fuck i had an amazing run but it all went to shit when i picked up that strange idol in the jungles while zombies were running around, a FUCKING GHOST came outta nowhere and blew my tiny body into nothing. Now i'm curious if that idol would have done anything special once i carried it into the exit.

Looks like 5500+ names on the leaderboard so far. There were about 500 pre-release based on the times it was showed off on Man vs Game.

Zia

Looks like 5500+ names on the leaderboard so far. There were about 500 pre-release based on the times it was showed off on Man vs Game.

I'd like to see the hard numbers on dashboard space versus no dashboard space, particularly with the redesign. This and Fez are performing way under my expectations.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, beat the ice caves in one run the next time I got to them. STILL having a lot of issues with the jungle, I've died to the spike totems 25 times which is more than anything else. Second is the shopkeeper with 13 because I keep fucking with him.

Do the requirements for the shortcuts stay the same? The third time I made it past the jungle he asked for a shotgun which I didn't have.

Cranzor

I've played many hours today and have gotten pretty far. The game is pretty much exactly how I imagined it would be. It really is fantastic and I'm going to sink a lot of hours into it. I am currently trying to get to the shortcut for the fourth zone. I won't ruin anything but it's definitely a challenge!

I see a lot of people are mentioning the Giant Bomb Quick Look so I'm going to add it to the original post.

I'd like to see the hard numbers on dashboard space versus no dashboard space, particularly with the redesign. This and Fez are performing way under my expectations.

I really don't understand why they don't dedicate one of the huge middle squares to XBLA games. Instead they are wasting one for fucking MS Points. It's not a deal on MSP or anything, just a notice to say that you can buy MS points on your Xbox.

smr00

Banned
Have the points but still haven't pulled the trigger.

Really want it but i just know this game is going to make me throw my controller through my TV.

Grisby

Really want it but i just know this game is going to make me throw my controller through my TV.
I'm in the same boat. I checked out the demo but I'm not feeling a high-level stress game at the moment.

I dunno. Not like the games going anywheres anyways.

You can play through world 1 in the trial, it's pretty generous. Your tv might not survive even that much, though.

I really don't understand why they don't dedicate one of the huge middle squares to XBLA games. Instead they are wasting one for fucking MS Points. It's not a deal on MSP or anything, just a notice to say that you can buy MS points on your Xbox.

Heh, its probably more profitable to Microsoft to get to buy points and leave them sitting in your account than to actually buy games with.

As far as lower than expected sales, I wonder if the PC indie bundles are lowering what people expect to pay for an indie game(on pc or otherwise) these days.

Kifimbo

If you're the kind of gamer who throws his controller around, then probably.

smr00

Banned
If you're the kind of gamer who throws his controller around, then probably.
Only 2 games has ever made me break a controller in my 20+ years of gaming.

So it's not like i have a big tote sitting next to my sofa to replace a controller i throw against the wall every 20 minutes. I just have a feeling this game is going to piss me the fuck off.

Zia

I think though it's a lot more difficult than something like Super Meat Boy, it's also a lot less frustrating. I rarely get angry at the game, and actually most deaths are hilariously absurd, as evidenced by some of the stories here.

Kifimbo

I think though it's a lot more difficult than something like Super Meat Boy, it's also a lot less frustrating. I rarely get angry at the game, and actually most deaths are hilariously absurd, as evidenced by some of the stories here.

On the other hand, when you die in SMB, it's pretty much always your fault, your mistake. Which is not always the case in this game.

sophora

Wow, beat the ice caves in one run the next time I got to them. STILL having a lot of issues with the jungle, I've died to the spike totems 25 times which is more than anything else. Second is the shopkeeper with 13 because I keep fucking with him.

Do the requirements for the shortcuts stay the same? The third time I made it past the jungle he asked for a shotgun which I didn't have.

They do change.
The Ice caves shortcut took me a couple hours to get since the final one requires a golden key which could be found in the mines...so you gotta carry that all that way to the Tunnelman

atomsk

Party Pooper
78 deaths and I finally got into the Ice Caves... and was one bomb short of what the shortcut dude wanted

=(

Love this game so much. I suck at it (1-4 highest level, 23 deaths haha), but I love it. I also love that they kept the random sentences at the beginning as well as what Spelunky Man passes to get to the cave is random.

smr00

Banned
Fuck it i pulled the trigger.

I will be back probably within an hour to blame all of you for my burnt down house.

Voidguts

Derek and Andy did a Q/A session on.. ahem.. Reddit earlier today and the most asked question was (gasp) about a PC release.

zacaj: When/Will it be released for PC?

mossmouth: I have a feeling this one will be popular, so I'll answer it right away! :)
Very good chance of seeing this new version of the game on PC at some point, but no definite date of release. Won't be this year.

soo anyone waiting to pull the trigger - do it! or wait 5+ months! it's a great game with tons of replayability.

here's the link if anyone is interested.

Daigoro

what is the quote when you die about something like " i know its hard, but keep on trying!"?

that need to be quoted to someone whenever they make a rage post. i gotta write that one down next time i see it. only seen it once so far i think.

those quote always make me laugh. "I died again."

Perhaps I was spoiled by Fez, but the music on this game is really very shit. And I'm not digging the artwork either, at all.

you are a terrible person with poor taste in music.

I want this on the PC so bad. Instant buy for me.

Gorgeous update of a game I already love...yes please.

GO AWAY!

Zia

I don't like the music, either. Reminds me of something from Leisure Suit Larry. However, I love the aesthetic. It has this chunky, physical quality to it. Motion blur, lighting, fonts, UI choices... they all add up to a really cohesive style. It's well done, even pretty in places.

Voidguts

jP2OM.jpg

o-oh.. I'll just leave now..

Top Bottom