• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is the buggiest Sony AAA release ever

3liteDragon

R6xKuD0.jpg
Their much hyped "Game of the Generation" turned out to be a dud & probably won't even get nominated for GOTY so that's what all these losers do on Twitter now, one of the worst fanbases ever. I'm 47% into the main story with 17h of playtime & I've yet to encounter a single bug. Makes me wonder how much time these guys spend looking for bugs, this is their way of coping I guess lmao.
Incremental improvements. Much more buggy.

Yet 4 points of metascore boost compared to original.

How?
I gotta ask since you've been whining about the score for a while now, are you playing the game rn?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Still look lifeless compare to other Open World game.
Can you explain whats that mean exactly? You see animals running around, you see giant ass dragon flying around, you see NPCs passing by.....How the fuck someone can say TotK is "lifeless"? because it doesn't takes place in modern city?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You would think left and right on the left stick could have had the same effect in this situation.

Yeah....I don't get it. Certainly doesn't make sense that it would cause all buttons to stop working.

That's a yikes. I'm legit surprised at the games critical reception and how none of the prominent reviews mentioned all the issues.

Or maybe that day 1 patch really fucked things up.

That's not really unique to Spider-man. Plenty of games of received rave reviews or reviews that never mention the bugs encountered.

RyanEvans21

Can you explain whats that mean exactly? You see animals running around, you see giant ass dragon flying around, you see NPCs passing by.....How the fuck someone can say TotK is "lifeless"? because it doesn't takes place in modern city?
If you explore the map, Mostly empty.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played TotK for 200 + hours, even on more "empty" locations you still see animals, NPC passing by and enemies. I feel like you guys dont know what empty/lifeless" means, for example in Shadow of Colossus its is actually empty which make sense lore of forbidden land...its fucking forbidden.

This is same stupid ass complain I heard against Elden Ring, its not empty it just in that game you are the invader so most people/monsters will try to kill you.

Not every game have modern city setting like you see in Spider Man but doesn't make it fucking "empty".

Last edited:

Lupin25

Not empty but… Lots of stuff to see, not a lot of stuff to do in between all the space you travel (kloroks, shrines, etc.), unless you’re willing to engage with the new build/fuse mechanics.

I haven’t beaten SM2 yet, but the world suits its purpose for the fun traversal & combat. Could use better side quest puzzles or even missing people cases to spice it up.

Most recent open-world games suffer from this, outside of maybe The Witcher 3 or RDR2 which have fantastic side-quests and random findings. The Judgment/Yakuza games have semi open-worlds and their mini games, dating, etc. are pretty damn good.

Last edited:
I gotta ask since you've been whining about the score for a while now, are you playing the game rn?

I am curious to know what makes it score higher than previous titles.

4 points of metascore jump means I expect some game changing improvements.

I am curious to know what they are.

But asking now is not right time I understand. Right now is honeymoon period. Happened with R&C: Rift Apart as well.

King Dazzar

So Push Square did a poll on bugs. And of 1700+ votes, only 29% said they hadn't had any bugs:
  1. Yes actually, my game's been shockingly buggy 7%
  2. Yeah, I've had a surprising number of bugs 16%
  3. Yep, but just minor bugs 29%
  4. Kind of, I've had the odd visual bug but that's it 19%
  5. No, I haven't noticed any bugs at all 29%
That's not really unique to Spider-man. Plenty of games of received rave reviews or reviews that never mention the bugs encountered.
Its been a trend I've noticed a lot over the past few years. Technical issues might, if you're lucky, be mentioned in a reviews words, but seem to never impact the score. Its why I rely on good people like yourself to be my test pilot!! 😁

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

And some folks were saying this is all FUD

Well, it's widely believed that installing the game on your PS5 via a physical disc can lead to problems — if you can get past the 36% installation error — which is just strange to begin with. Beyond that, though, it's very hard to determine what might be causing some players to have pretty significant issues.
Mine is a physical disc.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It seems this game needed more time in the oven, hopefully the PC version is better when it releases.
I don't mind some of the minor bugs mentioned here. But when numerous people start saying the game is crashing, that's my line in the sand. I'm going to wait until it gets sorted before picking it up.

GymWolf

I
I think it just means that spidey 2 has a way larger amount of npcs and cars.

Not a knock at tokt, just explaining what he meant.

Topher

Gold Member

I am curious to know what they are.

But asking now is not right time I understand. Right now is honeymoon period. Happened with R&C: Rift Apart as well.

Previous game was 87. This one is 90. Three points. That ain't that big a difference my man. Let it go.

And some folks were saying this is all FUD

Mine is a physical disc.
Lol, nice way to read the poll. Of course, what I would say is nearly 80% of people who took that poll either experienced no glitches, or just minor ones that didn't affect their gameplay. So, yea, definitely FUD.

This isn't Starfield or Redfall we're looking at here. Even though there are some diehards who wish it was.

Vroadstar

Meanwhile Mana is busy making a big expose on all the bugs still reproducible in Starfield any moment now… just you watch… ;).
Sorry too busy playing Mario Wonder and finishing AC Mirage.

Of course, you are, but not busy enough to create another FUD thread "The new PS5’s optional disc drive requires an internet connection to connect", amirite?

Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

Lol, nice way to read the poll. Of course, what I would say is nearly 80% of people who took that poll either experienced no glitches, or just minor ones that didn't affect their gameplay. So, yea, definitely FUD.

This isn't Starfield or Redfall we're looking at here. Even though there are some diehards who wish it was.

Check This Out GIF

mrmustard

Banned

4 points is nothing. A 86 game is as good as a 90 game, but the magical 90 barrier makes some people go crazy and expect an absolute masterpiece with huge improvements. Would you still complain if it drops to 89? I bet not.

Previous game was 87. This one is 90. Three points. That ain't that big a difference my man. Let it go.
Obviously scores are all subjective but for me personally I'd put the first at about an 84 and this one at an 84 as well. This one is slightly better but had more bugs so in the end I think that evens out to a similar score.

85+ games for me are very rare. Just off the top of my head in somewhat recent times I'd only have RDR2, TLOU1 & 2, God of War 4 and Rocket League being a multiplayer entry on that list.

Then Ragnarok, both Spiderman's and Horizon 1 and Uncharted 4 would be the tier below for me.

And below that Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Forbidden West, Death Stranding, etc etc

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Another notable bug in the mission where you go to the funfair.

Prompt after sitting on bench "X to talk to Mary Jane", pressed X, game locked in animation loop and wouldn't get out, had to close and restart.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I agree generally. (29+29+19)=77. So 77% either dont have bugs, or they are minor. And only 7% think the game is significantly buggy. Its important that its not over played. But at the same time I think its right that the bugs get called out nonetheless. I'm very confident what issues there are, will be patched quickly. I'll personally wait a little while though before jumping in.

tmlDan

I honestly believe stuff like this makes Spiderman 2 feel way more real, ToTk is just way behind the times in terms of feeling alive. It's def the best playground in gaming but in terms of feeling alive? it does not. Convos like the one below are all across the city in diff variations. On top of that i came across a man who ran over a bike and a paramedic taking care of them as he tried to tell people it wasn't his fault. Someone who got pulled over for speeding and was complaining to a cop. There are lots of examples of this in the game.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just shows how corrupt reviewers are. Every exclusive is getting that exclusive treatment, being from Sony, MS or god forbid Nintendo. Especially with Nintendo this is super jarring, you get some 2/10 kiddie game and it gets easy 10/10 because of some shitty plumber game released 30 years ago and nostalgia.

ArtHands

A spider isn’t a bug.

Yah the bug here is where things doesn't work as intended.

Like the one where the game doesn't register the L1 +X prompt for galvanize action near the end of my play session just 10 minutes ago

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I honestly believe stuff like this makes Spiderman 2 feel way more real, ToTk is just way behind the times in terms of feeling alive. It's def the best playground in gaming but in terms of feeling alive? it does not. Convos like the one below are all across the city in diff variations. On top of that i came across a man who ran over a bike and a paramedic taking care of them as he tried to tell people it wasn't his fault. Someone who got pulled over for speeding and was complaining to a cop. There are lots of examples of this in the game.

this is hysterical. especially as someone who had to put petroleum jelly and argue with the wife about whether powder or Vaseline is better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just shows how corrupt reviewers are. Every exclusive is getting that exclusive treatment, being from Sony, MS or god forbid Nintendo. Especially with Nintendo this is super jarring, you get some 2/10 kiddie game and it gets easy 10/10 because of some shitty plumber game released 30 years ago and nostalgia.
hard disagree. the game is phenomenal and a clear leap over insomniac's previous efforts. the bugs are in no way hampering the experience.

i can list a thesis on what makes this game such a fantastic VIDEO GAME, but the critics have already done that.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Am about 2 hours in and seen lots of graphical glitches so far.

Had two cars parked into each other (won’t let me upload the photo no idea why)

And a few others like it. How anybody can say it doesn’t have bugs is beyond me or they just been very lucky with it.

Decent game don’t get me wrong but lots of issues with it

shaddam

I experienced 2 bugs. One time the enemy was inside a wall and I couldnt kill him (I know spidey doesnt kill) and once a thug was sitting in a car taunting me and I couldnt kill him :messenger_grinning_sweat: This 2 bugs were in the randomly generated "missions", not the main or side ones. I guess RNG sometimes will be RNG

TexMex

Another notable bug in the mission where you go to the funfair.

Prompt after sitting on bench "X to talk to Mary Jane", pressed X, game locked in animation loop and wouldn't get out, had to close and restart.

Had this exact issue, couldn't get up and had to restart the app.

Topher

Gold Member
More bugs.....first, another issue where all controller buttons except for menu stopped working. Here I am being prompted to do this power and it does nothing. Restarted the game and it worked, thankfully.

UT6JXwm.jpg

Then, this shit again.....

aO1MqV6.jpg

And finally a bug where Miles Morales becomes bigger than the Brooklyn Bridge.

MYSidi5.jpg

Not really. Actually he should be perched on a rail a few feet below him, but this glitch has him floating in air so I took advantage of a perspective shot with the bridge in the background. lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
More bugs.....first, another issue where all controller buttons except for menu stopped working. Here I am being prompted to do this power and it does nothing. Restarted the game and it worked, thankfully.

UT6JXwm.jpg
I think this happens to everyone there. Happened to me too.

ArtHands

UT6JXwm.jpg

Then, this shit again.....

aO1MqV6.jpg

And finally a bug where Miles Morales becomes bigger than the Brooklyn Bridge.

MYSidi5.jpg

Not really. Actually he should be perched on a rail a few feet below him, but this glitch has him floating in air so I took advantage of a perspective shot with the bridge in the background. lol

Yah i have the exact same issue too. The game not registering me inputting the Galvanize action but the X works fine in menu.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So we have some saying its buggy, with evidence...and others saying its not buggy and its just exaggerated......who to believe?

Hopefully there's some patches soon becuase I'm dying to start playing after Mario but I'd rather wait for the best experience.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Just experienced the musical password glitch in Dr. Conners house last night. In case anyone gets stuck here there are two solutions:
1. Turn on the easy puzzle setting and skip it in the system menu
2. Turn off the directional pad shortcuts

I've so far experienced 5 or 6 game breaking bugs.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
So we have some saying its buggy, with evidence...and others saying its not buggy and its just exaggerated......who to believe?

Hopefully there's some patches soon becuase I'm dying to start playing after Mario but I'd rather wait for the best experience.
One thing that allmost all posters here are saying is that the game is amazing. Outside of the trophies bug, most others bugs seems to be more funny than anything. I was thinking like you but succombed to the tentation and Spider Man 2 is amazing! I would advise you to try it sooner than latter but do as you feel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom