• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Superbit vs. SE (56k go watch Catwoman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
spidey2_comparison_0.jpg

spidey2_comparison_1.jpg

spidey2_comparison_2.jpg

spidey2_comparison_3.jpg

spidey2_comparison_4.jpg

I don't see anything in those pics either so I guess it comes down to how well the DTS mix is in comparison to the DD one. And even then, is it enough of a trade off for all the content you lose.....

Matlock

Banned
In the Spider-Man-on-the-pole screen, the edge enhancement and contrast adjustment is soooo soooo poor on the superbit.

'course, the original movie's superbit looked like shit in comparison, so eh.

DMczaf

Marty Chinn said:
I don't see anything in those pics either so I guess it comes down to how well the DTS mix is in comparison to the DD one. And even then, is it enough of a trade off for all the content you lose.....

But it's Superbit!

Oh yeah, looks the same. *buys Widescreen*

Phoenix

I can tell the difference. Nevertheless, just encode everything in superbit and be done with this foolishness once and for all.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I see differences, but I wouldn't judge anything since the comparisons aren't even of the same frames. Harder to tell what's changed in the original frame compared to what's changed in the encoding.

Can anyone point out these differences? I'm curious to see as I'm sure showing this on my 50" tv will make the differences more noticeable.

Phoenix

Marty Chinn said:
Can anyone point out these differences? I'm curious to see as I'm sure showing this on my 50" tv will make the differences more noticeable.

Color fidelity and sharpness. Take a look at one portion of the image and then look at it in the other image. Look at the pole (for example) in the first image and compare the colors. Unless you monitor sucks donkey balls you will see that there is better brightness in the superbit. There is also a reasonable amount of sharpness gained in the webbing on spidermans suit. Those just being examples. I'm sure you can find other examples within a second of looking.

I know I said something along these lines the last time a Superbit comparison came up and people couldn't tell the difference, but... the difference between the regular and Superbit is merely the amount of compression applied to the video. If one takes a still from each and then compresses that again into JPEG form, the comparison becomes pretty worthless. It's like comparing how good a 256 kbps MP3 and a 320 kbps MP3 are, by transcoding each into a 192 kbps MP3.

To make an example where the true differences could be seen, one would need use a lossless file format like BMP or PNG.

Phoenix

Tenguman said:
I don't see how you can compare the differences using a compressed .jpg :/

Nah, you can't compare them - but they are fairly easy to point out. You'd need to actually see one on an actual TV set to compare them IMO.

RiZ III said:
Superbit looks a bit brighter and a tiiiny bit sharper. Whats superbit anyways?
The less compression you use, the higher the bitrate is. The fewer features on the DVD, the more space is available. So from what I understand (never actually used one) Superbit DVDs would chuck the extras like alternate audio tracks or deleted scenes, thus freeing up space so the main feature will need be compressed less.

I honestly cannot see one difference at all. I'm half expecting Manabyte to realize he accidentally posted all Superbit pictures or something.

Fusebox

Banned
I watched the 1.4 gig rip on my Xbox, upsampled to 1080i and then sent to the plasma and bugger me if it didn't look better than DVD in the bright colourful scenes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mike Works said:
I honestly cannot see one difference at all. I'm half expecting Manabyte to realize he accidentally posted all Superbit pictures or something.

the only difference i can see is that the 2nd set of pictures he took the wrong frame so you're comparing 2 different frames (look at yellow railing on the right)

But beyond that, they're identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom