• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Okay, well I'll ask here so if a new Spider-Man movie isn't coming for another couple years I think how will they keep Pete in high school? The MCU moves in real time right?

They don't necessarily have to be in real time. Several Phase 1 films take place in the same week. While Guardians 2 is
the same year as Guardians 1.
(I don't know if I had to spoiler that, but may as well just in case)

jett

D-Member
What's the soundtrack like for this movie? Giacc-tier or Mahvel-tier?

Valerian is fake 3D? They've been marketing the hell out of the 3D, and some of the people that watched it said it was worth seeing it in that format, seems odd that that wouldn't be real 3D.
Interview with Luc Besson

Do I need to see this in 3D?

You can, honestly. I'm not a super big fan of 3D. But, once in awhile, like ”Avatar" in 3D, it's amazing. There are couple of films were I'd rather be watching in 2D. But I saw the teaser yesterday in 3D. I hope you can see that in 3D. The shot of the canyon in 3D is [amazing]. You see all the levels. The 3D is very impressive. I'm amazed by the conversion. I don't know how they do it.

The director of Valerian himself does not care for 3D, haha. Those are some dubious fucking trailers, made me think this movie was conceived and shot in 3D.

3D is pretty much dead at the creative level. You could say it was never alive. There are only a handful of directors that really cared to use it in a meaningful manner.

The main theme is pretty good for most of it. And his rendition of the Spider-Man theme was godlike but only used in the damn opening credits.

The rest, yeah, utterly forgettable.

Cuburt

What's the soundtrack like for this movie? Giacc-tier or Mahvel-tier?

Interview with Luc Besson

The director of Valerian himself does not care for 3D, haha. Those are some dubious fucking trailers, made me think this movie was conceived and shot in 3D.

3D is pretty much dead at the creative level. You could say it was never alive. There are only a handful of directors that really cared to use it in a meaningful manner.

The distinction between real and fake 3D means less these days as a statement of quality 3D since 3D conversions can be really good and convincing. The rest ultimately comes down more to whether the director has a good eye for shot composition and interesting dynamic shots.

I think 5th Element would be great in a 3D conversion just due to how Luc Besson shot it. There is lots of depth throughout the film, with stuff in the foreground and far in the background
728_fifth-element.jpg

fifth-element-sleep-e1418850563714.jpg

tumblr_omvb3o84Pc1w4t58uo1_500.gif
and characters/objects coming straight at the screen

And that wasn't ever "conceived" for 3D, whatever that means. Jurassic Park had a great 3D conversion rerelease and it's all because it's a well directed film and the technology is there that a film doesn't have to be shot in 3D to have good 3D.

That's not to say that Valerian will have "good 3D", but these paper thin dismissals of 3D are ridiculous.

On topic, the 3D in Spider-Man was okay. There were only a handful of scenes I really felt that were enhanced by it.

The distinction between real and fake 3D means less these days as a statement of quality 3D since 3D conversions can be really good and convincing. The rest ultimately comes down more to whether the director has a good eye for shot composition and interesting dynamic shots.

I think 5th Element would be great in a 3D conversion just due to how Luc Besson shot it. There is lots of depth throughout the film, with stuff in the foreground and far in the background

and characters/objects coming straight at the screen

And that wasn't ever "conceived" for 3D, whatever that means. Jurassic Park had a great 3D conversion rerelease and it's all because it's a well directed film and the technology is there that a film doesn't have to be shot in 3D to have good 3D.

That's not to say that Valerian will have "good 3D", but these paper thin dismissals of 3D are ridiculous.

On topic, the 3D in Spider-Man was okay. There were only a handful of scenes I really felt that were enhanced by it.
Crap you reminded me that the 4K steelbook of The Fifth Element comes out on Tuesday.

I must have it!

Measley

Family and I loved the movie. Probably my favorite Spidey movie since 2004. WAY better than ASM from a few years back.

Can't wait to see Spidey again in Avengers 3!

Timu

Going to see this in a few hours to see if it lives up to the hype...or is just a good movie.

Should be fine either way!

This is a good film, Tom Holland is fun to watch. I'm slightly surprised at just how high its RT score is but it's definitely a decent film and a step in the right direction from the Amazing Spider-Man films.

Kinda boring, I thought. Wonder Woman was better. I think the RT score had my hopes up too high. Part of the RT aggregate is probably an up-tick because it absolutely didn't suck nearly as bad as Amazing 1 & 2.

Theecliff

Banned
god damn that was good. had tempered myself a bit today so that if it was okay it wouldn't be too much of a blow but i ended up with a grin plastered on my face for the whole thing. spider-man 2 may still reign king but homecoming was up there at times. and god damnit i should have seen the post credits scene coming.

Top Bottom